• side mounted
    • bottom mounted
    • I don't use a weapon mounted light!
  2. 2. Fave Manufacturer? (choose one)

• Insight
    • Surefire
    • Streamlight
    • other

I've been using an XTI Procyon for the last year or so, doing double duty on my pistol and on my S-12. It's an awesome light, but really it's a dedicated pistol light. It's time for a dedicated HD white light for the Saiga... so I wondered what the community likes. Do you run a white light at all? LED or incandescent? Switch on the light, or a remote pressure switch? How do you mount yours?

Of course what works for one person doesn't work for everyone, but I'm curious what you've found that suits the your Saigas.

I bought a cheap e-bay flashlight. I picked it out for price, advertised lumen rating, and the fact that it was LED. Figured it would last longer on a S-12.

It broke in 1/2 from repeated recoil. I havn't replaced it yet. sorry thats all i have to contribute to this...

well... lots of people ran surefires in iraq, but that was on .223s... I don't know what works on a 12 ga yet...

Tac-Star T-6... Cheap and will take a beating....

I like to mount on the bottom.. does not throw light in any odd fashion on the front sight tip....

I've been running a Surefire G2 with the LED/lumen upgrade on both the S12 and the goto. After some testing recently I've determined I need more throw.

I have this coming and if it lives up to the reviews I'll replace the G2's.

http://www.fenixlight.com/viewnproduct.asp?id=42

http://store.bugoutgearusa.com/crq5drmo.html

230 lumens for your G2.

Thanks for all the quick replies!

If I could get a remote switch for the Insight Procyon, I'd just get another dedicated one for the Saiga and be happy. It handles the recoil fine and throws plenty of light.

I'd consider a G2 but I don't know if they're as impact-proof as something that mounts directly to a rail. You can seriously smack around rail mounted Insights, Surefires and Streamlights. I would think twice about subjecting a glorified flashlight in a hose clamp to the beatings that a dedicated weaponlight can absorb. It's like comparing an EOTech to a Barska or BSA reflex dot. Both give you a red dot to aim with. Only one can be used to pound nails and still hold zero and work right.

Edited by aresv

No light mounted to my S12 because it's not my go-to gun, but I have G2 LED's for my 2 AK SBR's and they work great.

I don't make it a habit to beat my lights up but I've always heard good stuff about the G2, I think it will hold up just fine.

Also a big fan of the X300, have one on my XD40 on the night stand...I have to say it's actually my favorite weapon light. Only problem is price, at 3x the cost of a G2 I just don't feel it's 3x as good.

Better, but not 3x.

Z

Well, I put a lot of work in it but it started life as a $20 Home Depot "tactical" flashlight. 150 lumen Cree LED. I like LED's for gun lights due to their solid-state construction; very durable, very bright, very low power consumption.

I used an industrial push-on/push off switch. I don't like tape switches; they are easy to mount but hard to keep closed when you're firing IMO. With this switch, you click it and it stays on so you can sweep it around and shoot without having to put the death-grip on the switch.

F1.jpg

F3.jpg

F4.jpg

Thinking of Maglite (Perp beater size) and duct tape. :rolleyes::smoke: Always wait for the light to come on, then shoot at the light. :cryss: Do like your set up BobAsh. Just, had to be smart aleck. Been thinking as an evil (bad guy) for last two weekends training newbies. Been the ambusher. :devil:

No light mounted to my S12 because it's not my go-to gun, but I have G2 LED's for my 2 AK SBR's and they work great.

I don't make it a habit to beat my lights up but I've always heard good stuff about the G2, I think it will hold up just fine.

Also a big fan of the X300, have one on my XD40 on the night stand...I have to say it's actually my favorite weapon light. Only problem is price, at 3x the cost of a G2 I just don't feel it's 3x as good.

Better, but not 3x.

Thanks for the input. I am really leaning more towards a G2 or G3. They're good quality, yet not expensive. TONS of aftermarket LED's you can drop in, and they work with both tailcap switches or remotes.

By the way, if you're ever looking to replace your X300 you ought to consider an XTI Procyon. Street price is under $150 and they're ridiculously bright.... just not really suited to mounting on a long gun.

Some random review of the Procyon: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=15275

By the way, if you're ever looking to replace your X300 you ought to consider an XTI Procyon. Street price is under $150 and they're ridiculously bright.... just not really suited to mounting on a long gun.

Some random review of the Procyon: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=15275

It does look interesting, thanks for the link. I would consider getting one (especially at that price) because I really like that style of light mounting.

On a Krink they fit great and are easy to use when mounted to a side rail, but my main reason for not keeping the X300 on my Krink is heat. I'm sure the light can probably take it but after 75-100 rounds of sustained fire my SLR107UR with Samson rail is way too hot to touch, so I have to run a stubby grib to compensate. That puts my thumb in a less than ergonomical position for the toggle switch that these light use, however for a home defense situation minus the stubby grip the switch is easy to get to and works fine.

And compliments to BA's S12 light mount...that's ingenuity at it's finest. Can't think of a better spot to mount a light than right there.

Z

I've been running a Surefire G2 with the LED/lumen upgrade on both the S12 and the goto. After some testing recently I've determined I need more throw.

I have this coming and if it lives up to the reviews I'll replace the G2's.

http://www.fenixlight.com/viewnproduct.asp?id=42

http://store.bugoutgearusa.com/crq5drmo.html

230 lumens for your G2.

Yea, I saw those. But $60 for a G2 then another $48 for the upgrade!

The Fenix TA30 has multiple settings, longer run time, etc. for less than $90.

Just saying if you already had the G2. I had a chance to pick one up at the last gun show and didn't. I'm probably going to pick up a weapon light, and probably from Surefire. Their stuff has worked wonderfully for me so far, I have no reason to try anybody else.

Just saying if you already had the G2. I had a chance to pick one up at the last gun show and didn't. I'm probably going to pick up a weapon light, and probably from Surefire. Their stuff has worked wonderfully for me so far, I have no reason to try anybody else.

I certainly won't argue about Surefires, I EDC an Executive Defender, and have the two LED G2's.

After some testing at 100yds the G2 just doesn't have the lumens or throw to get out there. On the S12, due to the functional range of the weapon, the G2 works.

But for my goto rifle, Saiga X39, I felt I needed more. The Surefire's that put out the amount of light with the runtime of the Fenix TA30 cost HUNDREDS more.

I love my Surefires, but there is a limit to my loyalty,(roughly $300 in this case :eek: ). The Fenix series of lights have received great reviews, so I felt I needed to explore the options out there.

One of my hobbies used to be custom made "lightsaber" props. Basically they were really bright LED based flashlights that you could plug a polycarbonate tube into and light up. The LEDs came in different colors too. Nerdy and geeky, I know..... but it was fun to help people design custom hilts and see the concept become a reality. I have a background in CAD and prototype design, and I'm a Star Wars geek, so the two worked well together. :rolleyes:

For the longest time, Luxeon 5 watt LEDs were the brightest out there. Then they came out with the Rebel, which had 3 LED elements and was damn brght. The Cree LED (especially in the Q5 bin) are currently THE brightest LED I'm aware of. They get hot though, so a heatsink is a must. Good ventilation helps keep it functioning at the brightest levels too.

So my vote is for an LED Surefire (with the Cree Q5 upgrade). Mounting position is a personal choice, but I prefer it bottom mounted or top mounted, so long as it's out of the way. Side mounts don't really do much for me personally.

Here's a few of my LED sabers:

Click on picture for video, if you want.

Corbin

I haven't looked at any of them yet. No idea what prices or power I'm looking at yet.

After talking with some of my HSLD friends they recommended at least 150-200 lumens for a goto rifle. You need to have it throw out light to at least 100 meters.

I did some testing at a measured 100yds and my 80 lumen G2 just wasn't happening. I looked at a Surefire weapon lights, and the one that fit the spec was SureFire model M971XM07

http://www.surefire.com/M971XM07-with-Dual-Thumbscrew-Mount

Yea, that's right $475!!!! And for that you get 225 lumens for a whopping 20min.

The Fenix has multiple modes and at the 225 lumen setting it can run for 3.5 hours.

I just got it today and it is very nicely made. If it didn't say Fenix on the side you would swear it was a Surefire. I researched it on the net and especially over at Candlepower forums where all the flashlight geeks hang out and they all rave over it and have put it though all kinds of tests.

I can't wait for it to get dark tonight. :super:

Oh shit, now I sound like a flashlight geek :eek:

I have G2 LEDs on my S12 and PLR-16, and they work great on both. This thread has, however, talked me into getting a Fenix TA30 for my AR. Brand loyalty is for sycophants and sentimentalists.

Edited by fasdfs
I haven't looked at any of them yet. No idea what prices or power I'm looking at yet.

After talking with some of my HSLD friends they recommended at least 150-200 lumens for a goto rifle. You need to have it throw out light to at least 100 meters.

I did some testing at a measured 100yds and my 80 lumen G2 just wasn't happening. I looked at a Surefire weapon lights, and the one that fit the spec was SureFire model M971XM07

Yea, that's right $475!!!! And for that you get 225 lumens for a whopping 20min.

The Fenix has multiple modes and at the 225 lumen setting it can run for 3.5 hours.

I just got it today and it is very nicely made. If it didn't say Fenix on the side you would swear it was a Surefire. I researched it on the net and especially over at Candlepower forums where all the flashlight geeks hang out and they all rave over it and have put it though all kinds of tests.

Hey nerd, you mind taking some pics of comparison shots when you're messing around with the Fenix at night? Maybe the Fenix compared to the G2?

I'm semi-interested in this light. Kind of expensive for me, but then again, I'm cheap.

( :haha: about the "nerd" part)

Hey nerd, you mind taking some pics of comparison shots when you're messing around with the Fenix at night? Maybe the Fenix compared to the G2?

I'm semi-interested in this light. Kind of expensive for me, but then again, I'm cheap.

( :haha: about the "nerd" part)

WOW!

Now in all honesty, I was comparing a 80 lumen light (the Surefire G2) to the 225 lumen Fenix, so of course it was brighter.

But the spot was also dramatically better.

I just compared them out to a measured 120' in my backyard. The G2 works at that distance, but is somewhat diffused and I doubt would be "blinding". As I said before that works fine for a shotgun, but the rifle needs more throw. I did shine it at some houses that are over 100 yards away and you would definitely be able to get a shot on something at that range.

Within 100yds it would also be a force multiplier and blind an opponent. It does have a strobe feature (at 230 lumens!) that would disorient.

The downside is that it is a lot bigger and heavier, but my rifle is lighter than the shotgun so perhaps it's a wash.

Here's a link to a much better review, there is no sense in me repeating it. I will say that it appears to be very well built and the features it has make it a freaking deal compared to a Surefire of the same capabilities.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=231293

• 3 weeks later...
Thinking of Maglite (Perp beater size) and duct tape. :rolleyes::smoke: Always wait for the light to come on, then shoot at the light. :cryss: Do like your set up BobAsh. Just, had to be smart aleck. Been thinking as an evil (bad guy) for last two weekends training newbies. Been the ambusher. :devil:

Duct tape one of these suckers to the indention on the side of a stock forearm http://www.wickedlasers.com/lasers/wicked_lights-74-0.htm

4100 Lumens but I don't know if it will stand the shock of repeated firing but the rechareable battery only last 15 minutes but that should be plenty of time to find the offensive critter and blow him to smitherines eh?