Assault Ban and the Conversion

So, this thread is really more about curiosity than concern...but I think it'd be neat to hear what some of the pros think.

I have found a number of posts on here from people who are not converting their Saiga because of fear of falling out of compliance with a renewed AWB.

However, every weapons ban I'm familiar with, including the original Class III bans, I believe grandfathers weapons manufactured and/or owned before the ban's implimentation. That would mean that if you're serial is pre-2010 (ish) you could do whatever you wanted to it.

On the other hand, what I've read of the new proposed ban seems to imply that they want to "roll back" the new ban, so that it counts as a continuation of the Clinton ban. Of course, if you do that, you would be either demanding that people destroy millions of dollars worth of legally acquired weapons, or become criminals.

Sooo...does anyone have a real handle on how this thing might go down?

No. No one does, but the people who would make it.

Around election time, there were numerous threads on "what if........" scenarios in regards to a ban. We can speculate all we want, but no one even knows if there will even be a ban, let alone what exactly is going to happen during said ban.

Edited by 22_Shooter

Around election time, there were numerous threads on "what if........" scenarios in regards to a ban. We can speculate all we want, but no one even knows if there will even be a ban, let alone what exactly is going to happen during said ban.

The best plan of action at this time is to (continue to) contact your elected officials to make sure "this thing" does not happen.

As Uncle Ted would say "If your representatives don't know you on a first name basis you are not doing all you can"

The best plan of action at this time is to (continue to) contact your elected officials to make sure "this thing" does not happen.

I couldn't agree more.

Before the Street Sweeper became a DD I had the opportunity to buy one from a private party for $1200. I passed for no other reason than bad karma. Within a year the Treasury took it and the Striker 12 out of circulation. I live in a state that does not allow civilian NFA ownership so my gut reaction was right . Although I had no reason to believe the Feds would go after those weapons it's an example of how the situation regarding them can change in a short period of time. A Saiga 12 with a drum mag sure bring back memories.

I do not know if the takings clause in the Constitution would protect us if a ban and confiscation plan were enacted. I would hope we would be compensated for property seized.

Edited by lilguy

I will be at the top of the hit list in my district if it ever happens. I've spent 38 years in the shooting sports and written and called my officials MANY times. The original point was the speed that change can take when they do decide to come after us, and they will come again.

Before the Street Sweeper became a DD I had the opportunity to buy one from a private party for $1200. I passed for no other reason than bad karma. Within a year the Treasury took it and the Striker 12 out of circulation. I live in a state that does not allow civilian NFA ownership so my gut reaction was right . Although I had no reason to believe the Feds would go after those weapons it's an example of how the situation regarding them can change in a short period of time. A Saiga 12 with a drum mag sure bring back memories.

I do not know if the takings clause in the Constitution would protect us if a ban and confiscation plan were enacted. I would hope we would be compensated for property seized.

In BOTH cases, the drum was an interracial part of the weapon.... Not detachable like the Saiga...

I think Saigas are as safe as any other self loader out there

In BOTH cases, the drum was an interracial part of the weapon.... Not detachable like the Saiga...

If anything, hi cap magazines will be banned.

The street sweeper had NO sporting purpose. A saiga can be a tactical or a sporting weapon. That the difference.

In BOTH cases, the drum was an interracial part of the weapon....

Think you meant integral instead of interracial. :) But hey, I got the gist anyway....;)

...The street sweeper had NO sporting purpose. A saiga can be a tactical or a sporting weapon. That the difference.

Which has nothing whatsoever to do with the 2nd Amendment. We aren't guaranteed the right to keep and bear "sporting" arms only. Of course "our" Gubmint disregards the Constitution whenever it pleases.. and the average moron on the street seems both ignorant of and indifferent to it. :angry:

Edited by post-apocalyptic
...The street sweeper had NO sporting purpose. A saiga can be a tactical or a sporting weapon. That the difference.

Which has nothing whatsoever to do with the 2nd Amendment. We aren't guaranteed the right to keep and bear "sporting" arms only. Of course "our" Gubmint disregards the Constitution whenever it pleases.. and the average moron on the street seems both ignorant of and indifferent to it. :angry:

Absolutely!

It's even arguable that the feds overstepped on banning full auto.

The whole idea of 2A is so the people have comparable weapons to the armies of the Govt.

2A will be dead if we are limited to sling shots when the Govt. has machine guns.

I agree with you 100%, just trying to explain the thought behind banning the street sweeper.

IMHO, the 2nd amendment especially protects a right to own mi,itary style weapons.

>>I agree with you 100%, just trying to explain the thought behind banning the street sweeper.

Yep, we knew your context...... the frustration is just with the situation of people still thinking 2A=hunting rights.

>>IMHO, the 2nd amendment especially protects a right to own mi,itary style weapons.

"You bettcha" as my favorite governor would say! :)

If anything, hi cap magazines will be banned.

The street sweeper had NO sporting purpose. A saiga can be a tactical or a sporting weapon. That the difference.

The founders did not have sporting weapons in mind when they made the constitution, They wanted the populace to be equally armed as the authorities and the military, so they could fight back agains a tyranical government, the second ammendment has nothing to do with hunting.

Think you meant integral instead of interracial. :) But hey, I got the gist anyway.... ;)

Sometimes it helps to look at the word that spellcheck is offering up... :blush:

....I would hope we would be compensated for property seized.
Your a funny guy. They'd take them and wouldn't give us a damn thing in return. Best to try and not let them take them in the first place.
No doubt. You are kidding yourself if you think the govt would pay you for an illegal firearm.

If USA gun bans are successful, it'll be just like the UK or Aussie systems:

You must present your arms for periodic govt inspection to prove they fit laws (limited capacity, barrel length, etc etc). If you miss or refuse inspection, you will get a knock on your door, your gun(s) taken without a penny for it, and possibly a fine/ticket/arrest.

Let's face the facts, guys: Lawyers run America, and it's basically a "pay to play" system.

Join NRA and support your local pro-gun reps/senators with votes and money.

Edited by slyguy

You would just accept the abrogation of a fundamental right? Will you be hoping for compensation when your other rights are trampled next.. Assembly, Speech, Religion... etc..?

You would just accept the abrogation of a fundamental right? Will you be hoping for compensation when your other rights are trampled next.. Assembly, Speech, Religion... etc..?

I saw the JPFO email showing the Leatherman Micra tool the BATFE purchased which are engraved "ATF Asset Forfeiture". They don't care about anyone's rights or property. They steal people's property and the agency which steals it makes the money or uses the stolen item. This obscene law needs to be repealed but many police agencies and counties have enriched themselves this legalized government theft with no due process. Many innocent people have been robbed by police who 'suspected' the item or money was gained illegally. We also have an Arab usurper in White House who says the Constitution is a piece of paper and said that the Bill of Rights impedes government instead of protecting us from tyrants like him..

I saw the JPFO email showing the Leatherman Micra tool the BATFE purchased which are engraved "ATF Asset Forfeiture". They don't care about anyone's rights or property. They steal people's property and the agency which steals it makes the money or uses the stolen item. This obscene law needs to be repealed but many police agencies and counties have enriched themselves this legalized government theft with no due process. Many innocent people have been robbed by police who 'suspected' the item or money was gained illegally. We also have an Arab usurper in White House who says the Constitution is a piece of paper and said that the Bill of Rights impedes government instead of protecting us from tyrants like him..

Actually it said "ATF: Always Think Forfeiture", which is, and has been for some time a running joke motto of our most beloved extrajudicial revenue agency run amok.

As the question of the day, i think there is only one fitting response:

III

Amen. Once the wedge is in the crack, it only gets shoved in further and further.

Forget compensation... it's too late if you are worried about that. Never let it get to that point. Once the guns/rights are gone, they're gone... forever. Just look at many of the Brits and Aussies in the video I linked above: gun owners one day, and then permanently unable to enjoy their sports and helpless to protect themselves much faster than you'd ever imagine. That one guy with nothing but a photo album of all the great pistols he had turned in for destruction was terrible. No amount of $ will get your rights or your banned guns back.

Think you meant integral instead of interracial. :) But hey, I got the gist anyway.... ;)

Sometimes it helps to look at the word that spellcheck is offering up... :blush:

Oh, I thought you meant it that way. It was funnier before the explanation. :lolol::angel:

Actually it said "ATF: Always Think Forfeiture", which is, and has been for some time a running joke motto of our most beloved extrajudicial revenue agency run amok.

As the question of the day, i think there is only one fitting response:

III

Amen to the fitting response for the ? of the day.

Edited by Stansplace

Actually, the impending ban was exactly WHY I chose to purchase my USAS-12. It pisses me off when someone tells me that I can't own something that is sold legally and is one of our fundamental rights to own. It's my way of fighting back. And Juggernaut - the fixed "interacial" integral (whatever you wish to call it) magazine had a little to do with the purport of the ban. The only thing illegal or DD on my USAS-12 is THE BARREL! It "has a bore of greater than 1/2 an inch" and the gun "serves no suitable sporting purpose". I've got the paperwork from Congress stating this fact. They could just as easily say that about ANY 12 gauge shotgun, especially a "converted" one. Can you imagine the field day the media would have with THAT one? "He specifically CONVERTED his AK-47 12 gauge so it would be the world's MOST DEADLY WEAPON! His intent was a full auto military lethal killing machine!" lol. Oh, and if you seriously think that you will somehow be "compensated", I wan't whatever the hell it is that you are smoking.

Edited by BronCobraJet

I have a friend who purchased two lawful firearms from a dealer which were later determined to be contraband by ATF. ATF agents came to his home and took both, the only compensation he received was a receipt showing ATF took them. So, basically the government stole his property (in my opinion).

I have a friend who purchased two lawful firearms from a dealer which were later determined to be contraband by ATF. ATF agents came to his home and took both, the only compensation he received was a receipt showing ATF took them. So, basically the government stole his property (in my opinion).

Is there any more to that story?

What kind of weapons were they?

What made them illegal?

How long after he bought them were they seized?

Keep 1-2 out and BURY the rest... Claim solvency... Move to TX...

I go along with the concept that if it's time to bury them, it's time to dig them up!

Edited by Spartacus