Slings on the 12

I don't see many members using a sling on their converted 12's. I know there's been discussions about types and styles of slings. I'm asking if there is a preference to not use a sing, if so why, or if there is a preference to use a sling , why? I prefer to use a sling.

I'm sure most members here attach a sling when they go shooting, but leave it off for taking pictures of their S-12's. I use a black nylon standard 2-pt sling. I've tried a 3-pt "tactical" sling on it, but my S-12's so long and heavy, (with the standard 19" barrel), that it's not particularly suited to that kind of sling.

I got a green "silent" sling on mine. Works great.

DSCF1456.jpg

I used to have one of the surplus slings with the leather tabs on it (not sure where they came from), but I had to put it on the AK pistol, because the silent sling wouldn't fit in the sling attachment points.

DSCF1418.jpg

All long arms need a sling if you are going to carry them. If they are a safe queen or a range toy it really does not matter. But if they do not have a sling you either become a one armed man or must put them on the ground.

As a LEO I hate leaving a weapon as destructive as the S12 on the ground for some shitbird to use on me or a fellow officer!

• Like 1

I replaced the sling swivels with QD ones from some gunshow years ago. The threads are not a perfect match, but a 10/32 works on the front, and wood screw on stock. Had to whittle a little washer to fit the recess on the handguard and cut the screw to length. Now I use the same cobra style woven strap that I use on heavy long guns.

Edited by G O B

Mine is primarily a toy, not a working gun, so a sling isn't a high priority. I haven't taken the time to figure out a real good way to attach one to the front of the gun than doesn't look like shit.

Having a 8 inch barrel complicates things some.

I have one of these on the side of my rail:

SLINGMTN.jpg

and I have one of these hooked up to it:

BH-43SS15BK-2.jpg

I know a 15 round shell holder is a little "tacticool", but I need a sling, and saw this one in the clearance bucket at the range for $5!

I have a tri-rail with a flashlight mounted on my S12, which obscures the sling and rail for an attach point there. With a RAAC skeleton stock, there aren't any easy to see or use sling attach points either. I'm loathe to drill holes. My wife's Mossberg 500 has a sling with Uncle Mike's QD clips. I'm probably going to go with that. But right now, I've got 3 slings that I've tried on my S12 and none of them worked.

- Universal 2 point loop end... one end won't fit over the Krebs sites on the barrel. The other end has an awkward attachment. Even if they fit, it'd be a permanent sling since I wouldn't ever want to have to re-align the sites.

- 1 point sling with a single, universal loop attachment. But, since I'm using a RAAC skeleton stock, the only attachment point is where I'm gripping. If you had a pistol grip, this would work just fine. Without it, the single point loop attach goes right where you grip the trigger area... and it completely sucks.

- Blackhawk 1 point storm sling is on the way. If that works well, I'll probably drill a hole somewhere and put an Uncle Mike's QD ring on it.

I think the S12 benefits from a sling. I hate putting it on the ground. Didn't someone say that a sling is to a shotgun what a holster is to a pistol? I think that was the old guy from Box of Truth.

md-ss_t.jpg

I have one of these mounted on my tri rail, with a 2 pt silent sling going from it to the middle loop on my bulgarian thumbhole. Its nice that there are not moving swivels to make noise.

I've stated this befor, but i'm a big fan of firing with a hasty sling. I can hold the gun in my left hand and be completly free to reload/clear the weapon/manipulate something with my dominant right hand.

and i don't take the sling off for pics.

PICT0180.JPG

Edited by Nailbomb

I would argue that slings are necessary for some purposes, but not all purposes. Home defense, some hunting situations and range fun, my slings tend to get in my way.

I always test the ergonomics of my weapons by hiking with them with no slings. You will be forced to find the uncomfortable aspects of your firearm.

I had a CAA folding forend grip and that thing chewed the hell out of my left thumb. I prefer a smooth handguard with minimal obstructions and if I must have a quad rail, I want the smooth covers.

I'm one of the "must have a sling" guys.

My converted S 12 has a shotgun sling I bought at Sportsman's Warehouse. It has a wide shoulder pad section, with a sewed in loop on one end, and relies on the slider to secure the other end. Since I carry my long guns slung "African Carry" (muzzle down on the rear of the left shoulder, bottom of gun forward where the left hand can grasp the forearm and handle the gun to unsling and swing it across and mount it) the shoulder pad is at the butt end. The sewed in loop allows it to be used to fasten it to the factory sling swivel on the forearm, and I have a double snap short strap (I don't remember where I got it) around the folding buttstock that the slider end goes through. I keep it adjusted short enough to not get in the way, but long enough to allow carrying it slung comfortably.

I'll take pics later and post them.

I have a thread going in the tech area on this type of swivel mount, but if no one has heard of it before, it's called a split band swivel mount. Uncle Mike's sells them. They are as the name implies, a 2 piece band that bolts together around your barrel, or if you have a pump gun, your magazine tube. I bought one for my Mossy 590, because I didn't like the other option of having the mount on the magazine tube cap, directly in the way of muzzle blast, potentially. I haven't received it yet, so I don't know how it is going to work out. They are made in 6 different sizes. Brownell's also sells some that can be honed to fit and welded on the barrel (just called a band swivel mount, I think).

Mine is an unconverted S12. I bought a Chinese AK/SKS sling with the leather tabs as they would fit the small sling loops of the factory S12. I have since replaced my Monte Carlo buttstock with the Saiga skeleton buttstock and I simply attached the tab to the new stock. Most slings are adjustable and that would solve any issues with the sling getting in the way of mag changes, etc. Just adjust it snug while in use so that it hugs the weapon and adjust it back out to carry when needed. I like the fact that my S12 is 100% Russian, supported by the Chinese and held firmly by an American. :smoke:

All long arms need a sling if you are going to carry them. If they are a safe queen or a range toy it really does not matter...
Yep, exactly.

My Saiga and Rem 700 are just a guns that sit in the safe for the range or SHTF. No sling needed on those guns... just gets in the way. I have a shell bandolier and quick attach sling that can fit any long gun in the safe just in case SHTF or I wanted to go hunting, though.

My tac pump HD shotgun has a swivel sling on it at all times.

Edited by slyguy

My gun with sling:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?act=at...st&id=23283

I just bought a shotgun sling from walmart. It was way too short, but it was held together with screw rivet things. So I removed the screws, let out a lot of material and re-assembled at a fixed, longer length. It worked out perfect.