How many AK mags are enough?

So far I have 6 mags for my AK74, 3 East German bakelite, 3 Bulgarian browns. Looking at either picking up a couple more steel polish mags or more of the above.

Out of curiosity, how many mags do you guys buy before you cry "uncle"?

It would depend on the weapon...

Usualy i get a dozen or less, unless i get a battle rig for that weapon, then the rig would tell me where to stop. After all what good are mags you can't carry?

The two shining examples of the over 6 would be my AR( 11 ) and my 7.62 saiga Barry ( 10 )

Also i usualy get a few lower capacity mags for hunting should i ever choose to.

ETA: Should have said this befor the numbers above are the 30 rnders, that dosn't include the 10s and 5s those i don't stock up on, one or 2 is enough

Edited by Nailbomb

Out of curiosity, how many mags do you guys buy before you cry "uncle"?

AK mags, specifically : I've got 10 (12, if you count the factory Saiga mags). They're mostly 30 rounders, with a few Hungarian 20's.

The most I have of any mag is 15, and those are German 32 round Uzi mags (for my AR).

None of those #'s are anything I have decided on, it's just where I ended up. If I run across any deals on mags for any gun I own, I'll probably pick up a few.

I'd have to say it's about the time you can't remember anymore just how many you have....lol.:angel:

Yeah, I'd have to agree with that.

I read where some guy found 3 stripped lowers buried in his sock drawer that he bought years ago........and completely forgot about them.

:lolol:

I've got a strong feeling my mag count for every gun I own is going to increase once I get out of NY. No more having to deal with pre-bans.

Yeah, dude, you'll be like a hippie in Amsterdam.

As for the original question, I say keep as many mags as you can possibly afford, while also leaving enough money to buy ammo, and the occasional new gun. Especially right now, while they're fairly economical, buy'em cheap, stack'em deep.

Edited by elvis christ

Yeah...I couldn't agree more with the buy 'em cheap, stack 'em deep line. I have 55 30rnd Bulgy '74 mags, 103 30rnd AK 7.62x39 mags + 2 75 rnd drums + 2 Chicom 40rnders. 40+ AR mags, 4 25 rnd 7.62 mags for my .308 Saiga, 10 rnd AGP mags for my S12 + MD 20 rnd drums, and inumerable standard capacity(or PC HiCaps) hand gun mags for various sidearms. Now is the time to get our grubby little hands on whatever we can(The ban is dead and the "Panic Buying" seems to have subsided for now....Dealers bought up tons of inventory to meet demand after the election , and now they are getting stuck, so now is a good time to buy!!

I've got a strong feeling my mag count for every gun I own is going to increase once I get out of NY. No more having to deal with pre-bans.

its really not that hard, if you need help finding some let me know.

Oh, no bro, I've never had a problem getting pre-bans for any of my guns. Luckily, the mags that I want that are over 10 rounds, are plenty easy to find in pre-ban form (AK, AR and Uzi mags).

I just meant that once I get out of NY, my options will be more open. PMags for instance. Definitely going to be getting some of those. Same goes for an MD drum.

Thanks for the offer, though.

This is my take FWIW,

Have enough for your load out rig, then enough to fill the rig again in case it's lost, confiscated, etc. Then have mags that are you're training mags.

For example, my load out is 4 mags in a chest rig +1 in the gun. So I need 15 mags at the minimum.

5 that are ready for bug out, 5 that are stashed for replacements, and 5 that I use for training mags.

In reality mags are a consumable item, they will wear out, break, etc. So stack them deep as long as you are not neglecting any other preps.

Personally, I run 20 mags for my goto. Everything else, I follow the above formula.

Oh, no bro, I've never had a problem getting pre-bans for any of my guns. Luckily, the mags that I want that are over 10 rounds, are plenty easy to find in pre-ban form (AK, AR and Uzi mags).

I just meant that once I get out of NY, my options will be more open. PMags for instance. Definitely going to be getting some of those. Same goes for an MD drum.

Well as Bob Barker says....COME ON DOWN!!

Well as Bob Barker says....COME ON DOWN!!

I'll be your neighbor to the south, soon enough! :super:

• 1 month later...

I've got 36 fit onto a Weesatch, but I can't carry that with any kind of agility... AR mags of course, good luck carrying 36 loaded AK mags...

In a SHTF situation, I think the most I'd really want to mess with would be 15 mags + plates plus pistol gear + hydration + comms. Really thats about 50 pounds of gear, or at least feels like it, which is managable but once you go above that you start getting fatigued really hard.

AK wise, I count on the increased stopping power and I'd reduce my loadout down to 10-13 mags.

I'd have to say it's about the time you can't remember anymore just how many you have....lol.:angel:

Yeah, I'd have to agree with that.

I read where some guy found 3 stripped lowers buried in his sock drawer that he bought years ago........and completely forgot about them.

:lolol:

I treat mags like a pile of fire wood...when you think you have enough make it 3X's larger

I got a whopping 6 AK/Saiga mags 4-30, 1-20, and 2-factory 10's. I got 2-10 rnd for my 10/22.

The problem I have is deciding more mags, ammo, or another firearm 009.gif

I only got 300 rounds of x39 on hand, so before I buy more mags I need a '500' case of ammo I think.

I got a whopping 6 AK/Saiga mags 4-30, 1-20, and 2-factory 10's. I got 2-10 rnd for my 10/22.

The problem I have is deciding more mags, ammo, or another firearm 009.gif

I only got 300 rounds of x39 on hand, so before I buy more mags I need a '500' case of ammo I think.

PM me for decent price on 500 rounds of Brown Bear 123 grain HP I ordered this week. Mine should arrive today.

EDIT: It arrived today! I didn't know that it would be polymer coated. Anybody know what bullet type this is? No, I don't have a bullet-puller.

Edited by Kevin in Texas

This many:

post-6253-12574609400469_thumb.jpg

:eek::super::smoke:

Wow. :eek:

Very impressive, DR. :up: I don't have that kind of variety atm, but I do have 10+ mags for each firearm that I own.

Thanks, I had to make that rack just to accomodate the incredible pile of mags I'd accumulated. The sad thing is, I've got even more HK91,FAL and M1A mags that don't fit in the rack. I've also doubled my quantity of Colt 9mm and M11/9 mags since that pic was taken. I've only got about 12 AK mags though. I'd like to have roughly twice that. Need more S12 mags though but yall know how pricy those can get. Maybe I can find somebody who wants to swap AK mags for AR mags, as I got plenty of them.