Interesting response from Surefire

So I emailed Surefire with a warranty request for a 12rd mag and this is part of the response I received.

We do not recommend heavy loads with our 10 and 12Rd mags, use our 2,5 or 8 for those loads. For the 10 and 12 Rd. mags have a lot of fun blasting away with target and field loads. We are sorry for the inconvenience you are experiencing and hope you continue to use our products.

So it looks like they do not recommend shooting high brass loads in their 10&12rd mags.

News to me.

I guess when I send my 12rd back I am going to request a 8rd replacement.

• Like 2

The first time I used mine it broke while full of three inch 00 2 weeks ago. Guess it isn't smart to overload it to 13 rounds either. Has anybody tried reinforcing the front tab or have any ideas. I need something with high cap until I save enough for a md drum.I might see if i can franken mag it neatly with another mag.

Have you seen some of the people that have fused two of these together to make 20-25 round clips? I am sure they have to reinforce the front tab some how.

I've cut down my 12's to 8's as well (still squeeze in 9 of course) due to hearing about these failures.

I'll just wait for the Chaos steel and MD DS mags before I sink any $$ on mags.

I have a feeling AGP and Surefires will soon be a thing of the past, or become substantialy cheaper.

• Like 1

I've cut down my 12's to 8's as well (still squeeze in 9 of course) due to hearing about these failures.

I'll just wait for the Chaos steel and MD DS mags before I sink any $$ on mags.

I have a feeling AGP and Surefires will soon be a thing of the past, or become substantialy cheaper.

surefires already have...I've been picking surefire 12 round mags up for $30 each delivered. I have cut some of them down to 8rds but most remain in the plastic bags.

Edited by TO THE FLOOR

I broke in my Surefire 12rd mag with 3" 00 buck and it cycled flawlessly for the two mags I shot, and it was fairly cold. I didn't hand cycle it first or anything, worked out well for me.

When I bought the mag at a new local shop the store owner was really nice and let me try a few of them to check fit on a new saiga 12 in the store. I picked the one that fit the best in the store, and it fit the same in my saiga as well...very snug with ZERO play. I couldn't imagine it breaking even under the harsher recoil of high brass, but apparently they aren't perfect.

I've been picking surefire 12 round mags up for $30 each delivered.

..where?

And... I feel you man.. Sadly.. This happened just today to one of my 13 rounders:

DSC04784.jpg

Anybody noticed the difference in SureFire Mags? Heres a pic of two different types of 13 rounders. Possibly different generations, like AGPs. I used both of these today in temperatures ~30 degrees. The broken one snapped on the first round, which was birdshot btw. The operational mag worked fine.. The front and rear locking tabs seem to be made of a different type of plastic, not to mention the clearly different front tab design. Perhaps theyre improving.

DSC04787.jpg

• Like 1

I thought every one nows 13 is a unlucky lucky number. maybe thats why they made them 12 rounders. I have about 400 rounds threw one (12) round mag with out a problem but thats shooting 7 & 8 shot in mild temps. I plan on buying more but cutting them down to (8) rounders, I just think 8 is about the right size for my needs.

Have they thought about adding steel reinforcement to the Mag lips, within the plastic? Seems simple enough, but who knows.

Also, I wonder if spreading superglue over the lips(and letting dry of course) would help strengthen them.

I did a review of the Surefire S-12 mags early in 2009. At that time I still had a 12 rounder, which has subsequently been shortened to a more handy sized 8 rounder. Other than the MD 20 drums, I don't generally use anything over 8 rounds. They're easy to convert, as my

shows.

Having said that,

a test video I did back in February of 2009. Temperature was about 20 degrees if I remember right. The mags were out in the cold about 30 minutes prior to shooting video. I was using both #4 buck and 1 oz slugs in them. I probably got lucky, but I didn't have any of the front tabs break.

Corbin

P.S. as soon as I can find a magwell that works with my MD-20 drums, I'll probably get one.

Edited by Corbin

My 12 rounder broke today on round number 3 filled with remington #4 shot; and broke just like pictured above and dropped to the ground. It was cold as hell out, but that is CT for ya and I even kept it in my sweatshirt to warm it up but it obviously made no difference. I wanted to see if the cold would do it to mine, and at least now I can get the updated version....so it's not really that bad.

Can anyone please give me the Surefire email address...they don't even list it on their website...what the hell is up with that? NO contact info....???

Edited by IronRonin

Sorry man. Sucks. Send it out to them..

SureFire Gun Mags LLC

2404 E. Broadway Ave.

Maryville TN. 37804

I got a great response from their customer support department, i emailed them late friday night at surefiregunmags@aol.com and they got back to me within the hour. Id email them before shipping, of course, and include a printed copy of the email. I could have been too quick to judge though, they havent sent me it back yet. Could take them months, who knows. Well see..

• Like 1

When converting mags from 12 to 8 rds, do you have to shorten the spring?

Not to 8 rounds, no. You COULD if you wanted to, but it's not required. When I first converted a couple of them, I actually DID shorten the spring a few coils. I've since bought factory Surefire 8 rounders with the full spring and have shot the two mags side by side and there's no appreciable difference I've found with them.

In theory, if you were using heavier loads (that kick the carrier back faster), the weaker spring MIGHT not be able to feed the next round fast enough to keep up with the bolt. Likewise, if you're using lighter loads, a heavy mag spring has been reported by some to put excessive pressure against the bottom of the bolt and increase drag. If your Saiga is only barely working due to being a vodka special or whatever, that might make a difference. I've never noticed it personally though, but my Saiga has a polished action and works great.

Hope that helps

Corbin

I'll just wait for the Chaos steel and MD DS mags before I sink any $ on mags.

+1

+2

So I emailed Surefire with a warranty request for a 12rd mag and this is part of the response I received.

We do not recommend heavy loads with our 10 and 12Rd mags, use our 2,5 or 8 for those loads. For the 10 and 12 Rd. mags have a lot of fun blasting away with target and field loads. We are sorry for the inconvenience you are experiencing and hope you continue to use our products.

So it looks like they do not recommend shooting high brass loads in their 10&12rd mags.

News to me.

News to me too :unsure:

I've not had any problems shooting anything thru my 10/12 rnd Surefires, but, I've not been in any cold weather either.

If this info/recommendation had been provided by Surefire in the past, I'd never have bought their product.

So, their 10/12 rnd mags are naught but toys for plinking?

They will never get another dollar from me

..I wouldnt go that far.

As long as you use them when its warm, theyre great mags. Ill get some chaos steels or russian mags for winter use, but otherwise, reliable as hell.

I onlt had them at 12 rounds for a week or two before converting them to 8 shot, but I shot slugs and buckshot (OO buck and #4) through them without any problems. This was last February here in MI. I don't remember the temperature, but it was waaaaaay below freezing. Probably around 20 degrees I'm thinking.

Corbin

..I wouldnt go that far.

As long as you use them when its warm, theyre great mags. Ill get some chaos steels or russian mags for winter use, but otherwise, reliable as hell.

If they straight up say that they don't recommend high brass/heavy loads with'em, then they are for plinking.

OK, OK, maybe a a rabbit or pesky goose or three, but not for any thing remotely serious, or when its cold

Damn, most hunting seasons are cold weather :wacko: But honestly, not many are going out hunting with 10/12 rnd mags.

Have no doubt, I've been a diehard Surefire fan, search my posts, 100% out of the box, errrrr.... bag, satisfaction so far.

Each one has fit/functioned flawlessly.

Still, none the less, Surefire has just effectively limited them to plinking.

I want mags that will go all the way, rain or shine, hot or cold, low brass or high brass.

They obviously don't/won't, so I will no longer buy Surefire S12 mags.

Perhaps another MD20 is the order of the day? B)

C'mon steel mags!