It was nice when we had the only 2 Saiga 12s at the range!

Went to the range yesterday with my buddy GerryV. We put our Saigas in the rack during the cease fire next to two other S12s. The range went hot but the shotgun area was full so we had to wait for a lane to open up. Well I look up to see a guy shooting a S12 very much like mine, same CAA Ar-15 stock, same red dot mounted to a Primary Arms side mount, same stock hand-guard and Tapco Saw PG. You probably already guessed it! This guy is shooting my gun and doesn't even realize it till I point it out to him, he even tried to argue with me a little when I took it off the shooting bench and placed it back into the rack. Honest mistake right nobody's perfect, funny thing is his gun didn't have a red dot it had iron sights and the only real similarity in the two guns were they were both black. The absolute kicker is the red dot covers were on so he was basically shooting blind with no irons and no red dot. Public ranges really scare me!

What a cheesy thing to do. He had to know he was not shooting his own S-12. If not, it may be time to institute a vision test and an I.Q. test for members of your range. Or, maybe follow my weird habit of having my Saiga's coated in various colors.

WJ

• Like 1

We have a few "pay $2 per visit" public ranges around my parts. I stay the heck away from there!! Lots of crazy shit goes down out there! I'm lucky and there is a great outdoor range that requires membership and any member is authorized to enforce range rules and ask rule breakers to leave. Repeated violations = permanent ban from facilities. 95% of my encounters there are positive interactions with cool folks. Even still, jerks get into everything!!!

Sons of bitches!

Yeah, there was a whole group of them and they had no clue of range rules or safe fire arms handling. The range marshal was screaming at them right before we packed up to leave, we were a little disappointed that they weren't asked to leave. I wish it was $2 to shoot, it runs about $11.00 a visit in Houston. We have been struggling with cycling issues so we make changes, go to the range spend $11 in range fees + $25 in shells a couple of times a week.

Yuck! My range is $55 per year, sunrise to sunset hours, 4 fifty yard ranges, one with 7 covered tables, 3 one hundred yard ranges with 10 covered tables each, 2 three hundred yard ranges with 10 covered tables each, a shotgun clay pigeon thrower, 1 covered 20 yard pistol bay with 5 tables and about a dozen more single pistol bays. Indoor heated restrooms as well!!

I go twice a week, so it cost me about 50 cents per visit. It is 7 minutes from my door!

Not to pick on any one group, but it was like The Fast and The Furious, but with guns rather than riced out Honda Civics. At one point 4 or 5 of group were down range looking at their target while one of their buddies was standing back at the firing line playing with his pistol. The sad part is that they had absolutely zero comprehension as to why the R.O. was yelling at them or what was so dangerous.

• Like 1

$85.00 a year for my private range. 100 yrd rifle. 25yard pistol. 25/50 yard shotgun/blackpowder and 500 yrd rifle and weekly 6 station sporting clays.

Best money I ever spent. Good people with good sense.

Check out your local gun clubs. They are worth the money.

Edited by DaveM

Not to pick on any one group, but it was like The Fast and The Furious, but with guns rather than riced out Honda Civics. At one point 4 or 5 of group were down range looking at their target while one of their buddies was standing back at the firing line playing with his pistol. The sad part is that they had absolutely zero comprehension as to why the R.O. was yelling at them or what was so dangerous.

DAYUM!!! :eek: So are you saying that NO ONE IN THE ADJACENT LANES TO THIS WANKER TINKERING WITH HIS PISTOL had the friggen balls to walk up to him and tell him to put the damn pistol down during a cease fire and specifically while folks were down range checking their targets???!!!! A Range Officer can't be everywhere or see everything. . . it's incumbent on EVERYONE at the firing line to enforce the rules. . . and specifically to take action in the event of witnessing an unsafe act. Hmmm. . .

I know I'm likely preaching to the choir here. . . and I apologize for coming off so strongly. I'm simply royally SHOCKED at reading about the stupidity of some folks.

:deadhorse:

Nothing shocks me anymore... Nothing.

Plenty of shit pisses me off, or scares me tho <_< I'm not afraid to speak up and speak loudly.

My favorite local range was/is open to the public, but now, in order to gain access one must have a 'Range Safety' card.

Cards are only available after sitting thru a approx 30 minute safety briefing & video, which costs $30..

Many folks balk at this and leave, tough shit and good riddance.

And the owners have ID'd certain regulars whom are to act as informal ROs, our word will be law as far as the management is concerned, we say get out, they're leaving.

DAYUM!!! :eek: So are you saying that NO ONE IN THE ADJACENT LANES TO THIS WANKER TINKERING WITH HIS PISTOL had the friggen balls to walk up to him and tell him to put the damn pistol down during a cease fire and specifically while folks were down range checking their targets???!!!! A Range Officer can't be everywhere or see everything. . . it's incumbent on EVERYONE at the firing line to enforce the rules. . . and specifically to take action in the event of witnessing an unsafe act. Hmmm. . .

I know I'm likely preaching to the choir here. . . and I apologize for coming off so strongly. I'm simply royally SHOCKED at reading about the stupidity of some folks.

:deadhorse:

Good point, we were busy talking to each other about our Saigas and didn't notice what he was doing until the RO was going ballistic.

Yuck! My range is $55 per year, sunrise to sunset hours, 4 fifty yard ranges, one with 7 covered tables, 3 one hundred yard ranges with 10 covered tables each, 2 three hundred yard ranges with 10 covered tables each, a shotgun clay pigeon thrower, 1 covered 20 yard pistol bay with 5 tables and about a dozen more single pistol bays. Indoor heated restrooms as well!!

I go twice a week, so it cost me about 50 cents per visit. It is 7 minutes from my door!

Maybe we should look at some range time there during the Montana Saiga Shoot on June 19 & 20??

The experience related here, (borderline theft the way I see it), is one major reason why I dislike ranges, public or otherwise. <_<

Where I am, I just drive south for ~15 minutes into the adobe hills and I can do whatever the hell I want out there. It's a taste of true freedom that's all too rare these days.

the content of this topic saddens me.

there is something to be said about shooting with friends in private, thats for sure.

Now, anyone that has been around me with guns I am in control of, knows im very liberal with them, so long as I right there, but this is a tad too far.

Let's go extreme here, and say that someone picked up one of Tom's FA's on the firing line and just shot it without one of us right there......thered be a problem.

I would have the same problem if you picked my .22 up and did that.

they should have been ejected from the public firing line right then and there, IMHO.this? Id be PLENTY pissed......

Hello

On a somewhat related note...

I was at the range a few weeks ago (quite possibly the same range, ASC in W. Houston) with my wife and #2 son and daughter-in-law. We are all "family members" ($400/year).

Only a couple of years ago, I would go to shoot my S12's and be bombarded with questions like "WTF are those?" "Are those LEGAL????" And that would be by the range nazis, not just the general minions.....

-I think every R.O there has shot one of my S12's, 'cause they were just plain fascinated by 'em.

Anyway, I was taking my wife for her annual "870 pump-gun refresher course" 'cause it's one of the bedside weapons, along with my son and D.I.L. 'cause they have a S12 (Christmas).

When I turned around to put the shotties up during a cease-fire, I realized the only shottie in the rack that was not a converted S12 was the one my wife and I were shooting. Along with my son's and my S12, there was nearly a rack full of converted S12's there! Well, four or five, anyway...

Man, how things change.......!!

Respectfully,

guido

Reminds me of why I like Knob Creek. $10 all day. They sound a horn for the cease fire, call out instruction on a megaphone, the RO checks to make sure each weapon is safe, then he lets everyone go downrange. Everything stays on the table, no one can go near the tables until the range goes hot again. Simple yet effective.

Hello

On a somewhat related note...

I was at the range a few weeks ago (quite possibly the same range, ASC in W. Houston) with my wife and #2 son and daughter-in-law. We are all "family members" ($400/year).

Only a couple of years ago, I would go to shoot my S12's and be bombarded with questions like "WTF are those?" "Are those LEGAL????" And that would be by the range nazis, not just the general minions.....

-I think every R.O there has shot one of my S12's, 'cause they were just plain fascinated by 'em.

Anyway, I was taking my wife for her annual "870 pump-gun refresher course" 'cause it's one of the bedside weapons, along with my son and D.I.L. 'cause they have a S12 (Christmas).

When I turned around to put the shotties up during a cease-fire, I realized the only shottie in the rack that was not a converted S12 was the one my wife and I were shooting. Along with my son's and my S12, there was nearly a rack full of converted S12's there! Well, four or five, anyway...

Man, how things change.......!!

Respectfully,

guido

Yeah ASC was where we were shooting, and your right now days it is odd when your Saiga is the only one in the rack. I think we met you a few weeks back, I believe you were wearing a Ducati hat.

It's the nicest range in the Northwest and I've been to most. You forgot to mention that the gate is card activated, just slow down and swipe your card and like magic it opens. Call me 406-870-3435 we should get together and compare Saiga's. I have a shooting trailer with a plate rack on the back and lots of steel to shoot.

Dusty

I love my range, Its $35 a year membership, and everyone i've run into on the rifle range has been cool.

Its the sporting clays where i run into the idiots.

speaking of that, I gotta get out to the range again...

Take your Saiga out for a round of clays! I took a coach gun out for clays and got major stares and comments. An AK 12GA would really tee off the Fudds.