Looks great! how is the trigger set up, is it some kind of link that allows it to be moved forward?

The Cobrapup-12.

6yd1lf.jpg

Has now been Foxed.

169i4k5.jpg

es4zls.jpg

Lop is about 14.5 Inches.

2edtogn.jpg

Now I need to mount that optic rail.

I wanted to use a transfer bar linkage but was forced to use wire.

There just isn't enough room between the inside of the receiver and the mag when the mag is inserted.

I'm probably going to swap out some piano wire instead of the TIG wire I'm currently using.

Captain Obvious can tell that the shorter looking design, with the shorter stock and more compact magazine, looks a whole lot better than the pic posted at the top does. After all, the whole idea about bullpups, is compact right?

Just to clear things up some...KrisFox and I do have two completely different Bullpup designs we have been working on for the S-12. We have been using this one gun, the one he originally started working on, for the test bed. He also has a completely different forend in mind than that one I threw together just to make it work. He had started it before leaving for Iraq and while he was gone, I was using it to perfect my own design, to build later, on one of my S-12s (or other Saigas).

That Ace stock in the awful picture posted above, was only temporary...basically an afterthought. (and the donkey dick mag will work fine in the gun but does not lend itself well to a bullpup...the longest mag I would want in there is a 5 or 8 rd) That chopped down Ace was just something to put against my shoulder while I was getting the bugs out of the important part, the front...(the part that contains all the moving parts). It was also to see what I was going to be working with as a maximum LOP. I was already working on something kind of similar to what he added for a stock, just a little fancier. The project was unfinished when KrisFox got home from Iraq, so I put it on hold so he could pick back up and do some more of what he wanted to do with it. My main goal back then was to design and test the main working part of the bullpup, using mostly parts I could buy, not have to fabricate, and get it to work with the S-12. I should have just started a different one so we could each have our own individual versions, like we will have now. It was very obvious to me that I could get the shorter LOP everyone wants, by going with a more conventional bullpup stock. The main thing I was after with the first model I just threw together, was making a forend that would work, house the FCG, have a working PG with room for mag insertion, a decent trigger pull, and be adaptable for a sight rail and a VFG......and of course most importantly be one of the very first ones here to post pictures and video of a working S-12 Bullpup. The very next thing I had planned was to do the rail and FVG. The rear portion I'm going to do will encompass the entire factory TG and leave everything intact, so the only thing to be done to convert to BP, is remove the buttstock, replace it with my custom milled one, and the back end's done. Then just take out the forearm screw, swap out the factory one for my BP version (complete with PG,TG, all the moving parts), and hook up the trigger linkage. In just a few minutes you can change a factory S-12 to a Bullpup S-12.

Looks awesome. I am curious about one thing on bullpup AK's, what's it like having your face on the dust cover of such a hard cycling action? I always wonder if those things would knock some teeth around on a bad recoil! :lolol: Or is it tolerable?

It was a little spooky that first time trying it. After firing though, no problem at all. You don't feel any more shock or vibration than you do with a good cheek weld on a good stock. Just can't think about that big bolt and carrier sliding back and forth a couple of cm from your face.:cryss:

Now lefties.....that's another story...you guys are gonna need a LH charging handle for it to work, and even then those shells are gonna make you dizzy ejecting right across in front of you like that...lol.

Looks awesome. I am curious about one thing on bullpup AK's, what's it like having your face on the dust cover of such a hard cycling action? I always wonder if those things would knock some teeth around on a bad recoil! :lolol: Or is it tolerable?

It was a little spooky that first time trying it. After firing though, no problem at all. You don't feel any more shock or vibration than you do with a good cheek weld on a good stock. Just can't think about that big bolt and carrier sliding back and forth a couple of cm from your face.:cryss:

Now lefties.....that's another story...you guys are gonna need a LH charging handle for it to work, and even then those shells are gonna make you dizzy ejecting right across in front of you like that...lol.

Sounds a little scetchy! Not the design, just the risk lol.

Good luck though!

Edited by Lucas_061287

Might I suggest re-figuring the safety, somehow? IMO, the only movement a combat-ready firearm should take to move from "safe" to "fire" or to reload involving the firing-hand should be moving your trigger-finger to something adjacent, like dropping the slide-release on a 1911. (Seriously, as a southpaw my only problem with the Kalashnikov design is the recoil--still desensitizing to it--and the ejection, I work the bolt and safety with my right hand as necessary.)

Nice work, guys! I'll have to suggest this to Correia as the basis for a future Abomination-derivative...

Edited by Diamondback

Good point Diamondback. Forgot to address that....there will eventually be a safety incorporated with the trigger up front, so the original AK selector isn't used.

New vids are on the way, but I posted some last summer on youtube. The first ones I posted was while it was still acting up a little due to the spongy trigger it started with, then I changed to a different kind of wire for the linkage. This vid was posted after I had it running good...this was this guy's first time even seeing a Saiga -12. He wasn't too sure about it....lol.

Might I suggest re-figuring the safety, somehow? IMO, the only movement a combat-ready firearm should take to move from "safe" to "fire" or to reload involving the firing-hand should be moving your trigger-finger to something adjacent, like dropping the slide-release on a 1911. (Seriously, as a southpaw my only problem with the Kalashnikov design is the recoil--still desensitizing to it--and the ejection, I work the bolt and safety with my right hand as necessary.)

Nice work, guys! I'll have to suggest this to Correia as the basis for a future Abomination-derivative...

Along with the forward mounted safety I'm working on a non reciprocating charging handle mounted to the gas tube.

I know it's not popular to have negative opinions about people efforts, so try not to be mad. But I'm not fond of this design so far at all. The pup looked like it was starting out ok. However, it now looks like corners are being cut at every turn and the gun is a hodgepodge of mismatched parts thrown together to make a frakenpup.

1. The vertical foregrip (though it may fuction as you desire) looks completely out of place.

2. The wooden triangle you fastened to the butt of the gun cheapens the look. It screams, I was in a hurry and took a shortcut.

3. The site rail.... Come on man. Really?

If you need more length in the gun to properly place the vertical foregrip and you also want properly placed sights, I suggest you lengthen the barrel shroud section of the gun to encapsulate all but the thread protector. You may have to have something fabricated/added to the existing lower section of the gun. But you'll at least have a place to properly mount your vertical fore grip and your sights. You should also have someone fab, weld on and dura-coat a metal piece to replace the wood.

If all of what you are doing is temporary and you plan to make the changes I mentioned above, please disregard my post.

Thanks, and I'm sorry for my opinion.

Edited by Bridis

2. The wooden triangle you fastened to the butt of the gun cheapens the look. It screams, I was in a hurry and took a shortcut.

..............You should also have someone fab, weld on and dura-coat a metal piece to replace the wood.

If all of what you are doing is temporary and you plan to make the changes I mentioned above, please disregard my post.

They do have a milling machine, so the wood, I would assume is temporary.

Meanwhile, If wood were to be painted with Plasti-Dip (rubber coating), it would cover the grain & one wouldn't be able to tell the material used to construct it.

2348707795_d47c163a1b.jpg

I'm sure they'll fab stuff for the rest to blend together.

As stated, this IS a prototype.

Coming along nicely guys.

Edited by Paulyski

I know it's not popular to have negative opinions about people efforts, so try not to be mad. But I'm not fond of this design so far at all. The pup looked like it was starting out ok. However, it now looks like corners are being cut at every turn and the gun is a hodgepodge of mismatched parts thrown together to make a frakenpup.

1. The vertical foregrip (though it may fuction as you desire) looks completely out of place.

3. The site rail.... Come on man. Really?

If you need more length in the gun to properly place the vertical foregrip and you also want properly placed sights, I suggest you lengthen the barrel shroud section of the gun to encapsulate all but the thread protector. You may have to have something fabricated/added to the existing lower section of the gun. But you'll at least have a place to properly mount your vertical fore grip and your sights. You should also have someone fab, weld on and dura-coat a metal piece to replace the wood.

Have you looked at many pre production prototypes?

Barret Prototype.

barrett_m82a2.jpg

This is a proof of concept prototype. It looks cobbled together, it is. I am using it to get a basic idea of what layout is going to work best.

The final version will have a folded sheet metal front end that extends to just under an inch from the muzzle on an 18" barrel. (I need a receiver bending jig before I can MFR this front end.)

The butt stock will be molded so on factory guns you don't even have to remove the factory trigger.

The trigger linkage will "drop in" and attach to the factory FCG inside the receiver via a clip.

This is being developed into a kit and not a conversion.

The final design will look like this, with a rail and a cut out so the gas adjuster can be turned or removed.

vcqeqt.jpg

I will install an ambi safety within reach of the shooters firing hand while it is gripping the pistol grip.

I am also working on a non reciprocating charging handle that will replace the gastube. It will require removal of the gas block and modification of the op-rod/gas piston. But if the original gas tube re-installed the modded gas piston will still work fine.

Edited by KrisFox