Saiga 12 -- My view and experience

Well First of all hello everybody!

Ive been lurking around here the past few months reading through thousands of posts and getting to know alot about alot of you

and your personalities and also alot about the saiga 12.

I picked up a nib 3 port saiga 12 manufactured in 08 a few weeks ago and have shot it 3 times in as many weeks going through approximately 200 rounds, I LOVE it!

:RANGE REPORTs:

The first day I had my new weapon I took it home cleaned it and wiped everything down with a towel, no oil I ran it bone dry.

I shot 20 rounds of remington 2 3/4 slugs and 30 rounds of 2 3/4 remington 00 buckshot, all full power loads. Black betty ate everything up

without a hiccup. I was pleased because I was worried about getting a "vodka special".

The next week I took 50 rounds of full power federal 2 3/4 00 buckshot, along with 2 10 round mags and one 12 rounder, filled em up and

again she ate everything up like a fat girl at a buffet, no hiccups. It was also cleaned and all parts wiped dry before this outting.

Today I took it to the range along with a 10 round mag, 2 12 round mags and 100 rounds of wolf 2 3/4 00 buck, again she was cleaned and wiped dry

before shooting. She ran through all ammo in quick succession. Im a happy man!!

She shoots just as fast as my beloved benelli M2 with alot lighter recoil.

:AMMO:

I only used full power loads cause thats all I use, out of the three I liked wolf the best. Tighter groupings than either remington or federal which surprised me.

Im not a fan of wolf but this stuff is made in germany and preforms better than the other two sooo... I ordered 2 cases of it. I dont plan on

shooting light loads or birdshot in this gun so Im not worried how those would do because to me, this is a fighting shotgun.

:CONVERSION:

Not really interested about doing one now, Id rather spend the money on ammo and mags. And yes Ive heard about all the "pros" that go along with doing one

but Im not buying it, Im fast and accurate with it as is and dont really see me getting that much better with all the tacticool conversion stuff. Fear not the weapon but the hand that wields it! Plus I can really give 2 shits about 922r or how gov troops might bust through my door cause I have 11 imported parts instead of 10. FT. Besides with my american mags in I'm all good anyway. Maybe Ill do one in 6 months just for balance and looks but, Im pretty handy with it as is and

I know how to handle weapons fairly well plus I hate that mall ninja gun look with all sorts of crap hanging off of it. Im also reading about problems people have after converting and shes running great now so Ill just let her be herself for now.

:CLOSING THOUGHTS:

I LOVE THIS SHOTGUN YAY!!

• Like 1
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well First of all hello everybody! Ive been lurking around here the past few months reading through thousands of posts and getting to know alot about alot of you and your personalities and also alo

Well who the heck would want to go to jail, Im just saying Im OK with american made mags that count as 3 parts bringing me up to par and Im not worried about the 922r boogyman either, so what? I'm leg

First lol at that first part, and I really did laugh out loud. Second, I am not worried about who reads my post because Im within the law and I know it. Third Im not bashing anybody on how they mod t

Posted Images

Um, no. You're not "good" with 10 round mags.

You may not care about 922r but the rest of us do. Me personally, I value my freedom and don't take any chances doing stupid illegal shit that can land me in prison with scumbags for a decade.

You're also not very bright to brag and chest beat on a public forum about your disregard for the law and illegal activities. I think I can speak for the rest of us and say we don't really like having that garbage on our forum either.

PS: Conversion doesn't have to mean anything besides a regular grip and stock....no one says you have to have rails with stuff hanging off them. Plenty of people have very simple builds.

Edited by Klassy Kalashnikov

Um, no. You're not "good" with 10 round mags.

You may not care about 922r but the rest of us do. Me personally, I value my freedom and don't take any chances doing stupid illegal shit that can land me in prison with scumbags for a decade.

You're also not very bright to brag and chest beat on a public forum about your disregard for the law and illegal activities. I think I can speak for the rest of us and say we don't really like having that garbage on our forum either.

PS: Conversion doesn't have to mean anything besides a regular grip and stock....no one says you have to have rails with stuff hanging off them. Plenty of people have very simple builds.

Well who the heck would want to go to jail, Im just saying Im OK with american made mags that count as 3 parts bringing me up to par and Im not worried about the 922r boogyman either, so what? I'm legal. If ten doesnt work than 8 and 12 does. Ive done my homework and know what I can and cant do. I also didnt mention the made in the

usa puck thats in it, whoops. Out of that whole topic you bring up the 922r "youre a crimal" thing, get real buddy Im not scared.

• Like 1

First of all welcome to the forum, may you be enlightened.

Second, I agree with Klassy, If your not into 922r then maybe your into butt sex. Cause that is where your heading if you keep that attitude and frame of mind. You do realize that this forum and others like it are parused by all sorts of authority clubs. We even have a few FBI agents that are members and a bunch of Law enforcement officers that are dedicated members.

Thirdly, A restoration is not so much about tacticool crap, but bringing the weapon back to what it's supposed to be, an AK variant. If you don't want to do it, that your choice and fine. But don't come in here and trash other's hard work.

P.S. Leave the Cobra alone, he spits :lolol: .......... :wub: ya bro

If you can manage to handle this you will have a very interesting and informative time here. If you can't well, needless to say these boys and girls will make it their job to straighten you out.

HUZZAH!!!

First of all welcome to the forum, may you be enlightened.

Second, I agree with Klassy, If your not into 922r then maybe your into butt sex. Cause that is where your heading if you keep that attitude and frame of mind. You do realize that this forum and others like it are parused by all sorts of authority clubs. We even have a few FBI agents that are members and a bunch of Law enforcement officers that are dedicated members.

Thirdly, A restoration is not so much about tacticool crap, but bringing the weapon back to what it's supposed to be, an AK variant. If you don't want to do it, that your choice and fine. But don't come in here and trash other's hard work.

P.S. Leave the Cobra alone, he spits :lolol: .......... :wub: ya bro

If you can manage to handle this you will have a very interesting and informative time here. If you can't well, needless to say these boys and girls will make it their job to straighten you out.

HUZZAH!!!

First lol at that first part, and I really did laugh out loud. Second, I am not worried about who reads my post because Im within the law and I know it.

Third Im not bashing anybody on how they mod their gun so sorry to all the sensi types, but Im a guy who doesnt follow the herd. I can be just as effective with a sporter saiga 12 as I can with a modded super duper version. And Im not new here Ive spent hours and hours and hours learning and reading. I know whos full of shit and who is not, who knows what they are talking about and who doesnt, who is a mall ninja and who isnt, whats legal and whats not.

You said cobra spits but which one of you swallows? lol jk

Edited by saigalupo
  • Like 1

Yeah, all of a sudden you're concerned about the law and have a compliant gun. Yet before I said something, you were all E-Thug chest beating on an open forum about how you didn't give a shit about the law :rolleyes:

saigalupo said: Plus I can really give 2 shits about 922r or how gov troops might bust through my door cause I have 11 imported parts instead of 10. FT.

If you spent so much time reading maybe you might have noticed people here aren't into bragging about violating federal laws.

As for who swallows, hey, keep fuckin around with 922r and you just might get to find out :lolol:

Ive been lurking around here the past few months reading through thousands of posts and getting to know alot about alot of you

I picked up a nib 3 port saiga 12 manufactured in 08 a few weeks ago and have shot it 3 times in as many weeks going through approximately 200 rounds, I LOVE it!

The first day I had my new weapon I took it home cleaned it and wiped everything down with a towel, no oil I ran it bone dry.

I shot 20 rounds of remington 2 3/4 slugs and 30 rounds of 2 3/4 remington 00 buckshot, all full power loads. Black betty ate everything up

without a hiccup. I was pleased because I was worried about getting a "vodka special".

The next week I took 50 rounds of full power federal 2 3/4 00 buckshot, along with 2 10 round mags and one 12 rounder, filled em up and

again she ate everything up like a fat girl at a buffet, no hiccups. It was also cleaned and all parts wiped dry before this outting.

Today I took it to the range along with a 10 round mag, 2 12 round mags and 100 rounds of wolf 2 3/4 00 buck, again she was cleaned and wiped dry

I only used full power loads cause thats all I use, out of the three I liked wolf the best. Tighter groupings than either remington or federal which surprised me.

Im not a fan of wolf but this stuff is made in germany and preforms better than the other two sooo... I ordered 2 cases of it. I dont plan on

shooting light loads or birdshot in this gun so Im not worried how those would do because to me, this is a fighting shotgun.

Not really interested about doing one now, Id rather spend the money on ammo and mags. And yes Ive heard about all the "pros" that go along with doing one

but Im not buying it, Im fast and accurate with it as is and dont really see me getting that much better with all the tacticool conversion stuff. Fear not the weapon but the hand that wields it! Plus I can really give 2 shits about 922r or how gov troops might bust through my door cause I have 11 imported parts instead of 10. FT. Besides with my american mags in I'm all good anyway. Maybe Ill do one in 6 months just for balance and looks but, Im pretty handy with it as is and

I know how to handle weapons fairly well plus I hate that mall ninja gun look with all sorts of crap hanging off of it. Im also reading about problems people have after converting and shes running great now so Ill just let her be herself for now.

Well...hello there. Welcome to the forum. I see you've the same reaction to the Saiga-12 that I had almost ten years ago. Certainly an amazing and reliable semi shotty, especially for the money spent.

On the Wolf 12 gauge ammo, it's probably 90% of what I shoot of the ammo that I pay for myself. Yes, the Russian manufactured ammo can be suspect, but as you mentioned, there 12 gauge ammo is made in Germany, by Lapua/Schönebeck no less. Very high quality and reasonable. In large orders, I can get 00 Buck for less than 50 cents/rnd. and slugs for about 60 cents/rnd. Ive always been told to train with what you would use in that critical situation and never feed your weapon crap...on purpose. But to each his own.

I also have to agree with you on the Benelli M2 comparison. While I've fired, carried or owned an amazing assortment of shotguns, in semi, you can't touch the Saiga-12 for the price. While the M4 is an amazing weapon in its own right, you can get two well equipped Saiga-12s for the price of an M4 and do more with it (mag. cap., overall length, etc...).

On your first post bringing up some "caustic" reactions, you basically pissed in two different bowls of corn flakes here. That of those who feel VERY strongly about converting and that of those who go to great lengths to get there Saigas to fire cheap birdshot. You got both groups to converge on you like a bunch of monkeys f@#king a football. Congrats!

I would post here a bit more a few years ago, but then I left two years ago until I rejoined under a new moniker recently. I trod much more carefully this time out. You will find a great wealth of information here from the most knowledgable people regarding the Saiga series. I know quite a few G-Men who are into Saigas themselves and a few do lurk here, but none of them are members and certainly wouldn't advertise it if they were. Should you advertise possible 922r non-compliance? Are there tac-teams ready to kick in your door over them? Probably not. Still, it's just another bowl of corn flakes that doesn't need freshening up.

Oh, and of my own Saigas, mostly stock with a few useful accessories. My most recent Saiga is non-converterd, set up for slugs with a quad rail, light and Russian PK-A red-dot.

Again, welcome aboard.

Edited by FRC64

Yeah, all of a sudden you're concerned about the law and have a compliant gun. Yet before I said something, you were all E-Thug chest beating on an open forum about how you didn't give a shit about the law :rolleyes:

saigalupo said: Plus I can really give 2 shits about 922r or how gov troops might bust through my door cause I have 11 imported parts instead of 10. FT.

If you spent so much time reading maybe you might have noticed people here aren't into bragging about violating federal laws.

As for who swallows, hey, keep fuckin around with 922r and you just might get to find out :lolol:

Look klassy I am NOT violating any laws, read my posts. That scary tough guy forum BS might work on mall ninjas and noobs but not on me,

sorry Im not letting you pull me into something cause I know that im legit and you clearly don't know what youre talking about so fuck off.

According to my calculations Im plus one on the 922 with my way too expensive us puck, just cause I dont follow the herd and and can probley outshoot you and most other people and their converted tacticool

wannabe AKs with my 922r legal sporter doesnt give you the right to bust balls now does it? And just because Im not running around scared of the 922r law and dont agree with it

doesnt mean I want/am breaking it. Im smarter than that. You got nothing. With that being said if youre so concerned about it why dont you send me a plethora of parts just to make sure. And thanks for making me feel welcomed!

Every damn forum is full of jackasses

Edited by saigalupo
  • Like 1

Look klassy I am NOT violating any laws, read my posts. That scary tough guy forum BS might work on mall ninjas and noobs but not on me,

sorry Im not letting you pull me into something cause I know that im legit and you clearly don't know what youre talking about so fuck off.

According to my calculations Im plus one on the 922 with my way too expensive us puck, just cause I dont follow the herd and and can probley outshoot you and most other people and their converted tacticool

wannabe AKs with my 922r legal sporter doesnt give you the right to bust balls now does it? And just because Im not running around scared of the 922r law and dont agree with it

doesnt mean I want/am breaking it. Im smarter than that. You got nothing. With that being said if youre so concerned about it why dont you send me a plethora of parts just to make sure. And thanks for making me feel welcomed!

Pretty entertaining thread so far. :D

:Johnboy:

And thanks for making me feel welcomed!

Hey, what kind of greeting were you expecting with all that chest beating about not giving a shit about laws in your first post on here? And, you are certainly making an impression with all your name calling. As to the rest of your insults, I'm not even gonna bother man. I mean, what could such a conformist cow like me possibly have to say? you don't listen to the man, man, you're unique. You're cool. You're a badass. I bet you even listen to Insane Clown Posse too. You know there's only one thing cooler than wearing bondage gear to the mall, and that's hating your parents!

post-21696-12726094050322_thumb.jpg

Well...hello there. Welcome to the forum. I see you've the same reaction to the Saiga-12 that I had almost ten years ago. Certainly an amazing and reliable semi shotty, especially for the money spent.

On the Wolf 12 gauge ammo, it's probably 90% of what I shoot of the ammo that I pay for myself. Yes, the Russian manufactured ammo can be suspect, but as you mentioned, there 12 gauge ammo is made in Germany, by Lapua/Schönebeck no less. Very high quality and reasonable. In large orders, I can get 00 Buck for less than 50 cents/rnd. and slugs for about 60 cents/rnd. Ive always been told to train with what you would use in that critical situation and never feed your weapon crap...on purpose. But to each his own.

I also have to agree with you on the Benelli M2 comparison. While I've fired, carried or owned an amazing assortment of shotguns, in semi, you can't touch the Saiga-12 for the price. While the M4 is an amazing weapon in its own right, you can get two well equipped Saiga-12s for the price of an M4 and do more with it (mag. cap., overall length, etc...).

On your first post bringing up some "caustic" reactions, you basically pissed in two different bowls of corn flakes here. That of those who feel VERY strongly about converting and that of those who go to great lengths to get there Saigas to fire cheap birdshot. You got both groups to converge on you like a bunch of monkeys f@#king a football. Congrats!

I would post here a bit more a few years ago, but then I left two years ago until I rejoined under a new moniker recently. I trod much more carefully this time out. You will find a great wealth of information here from the most knowledgable people regarding the Saiga series. I know quite a few G-Men who are into Saigas themselves and a few do lurk here, but none of them are members and certainly wouldn't advertise it if they were. Should you advertise possible 922r non-compliance? Are there tac-teams ready to kick in your door over them? Probably not. Still, it's just another bowl of corn flakes that doesn't need freshening up.

Thankyou for the heads up! This is the kind of gentleman I was expecting not some bully who starts calling me a bad guy for being me but still

staying legal, jeeze!

As far as that goes yeah, I think its an ass backwards law but hey I dont make them, and I can think/say that because its my right as a goddamn American. With that being said I dont/wont break it.

Yes wolf ammo is very very good, especially for the money. Why are people buying this shotgun for birds? A remmy 870 or similar would be better.

Sorry I peed in so many bowls of cornflakes people, forgive Me!!

That is a problem with every market out, be it cars or motorcycles or any type of anything....FANBOYS

• Like 1

And thanks for making me feel welcomed!

Hey, what kind of greeting were you expecting with all that chest beating about not giving a shit about laws in your first post on here? And, you are certainly making an impression with all your name calling. As to the rest of your insults, I'm not even gonna bother man. I mean, what could such a conformist cow like me possibly have to say? you don't listen to the man, man, you're unique. You're cool. You're a badass. I bet you even listen to Insane Clown Posse too. You know there's only one thing cooler than wearing bondage gear to the mall, and that's hating your parents!

post-21696-12726094050322_thumb.jpg

Huuuhhh... Ok man you got me pegged lol. "beating chest while listening to ICP" OOoga Booga Bo! I also have on a tact vest whilst sitting in lil wayne boxers.

I think you read into my post a little too hard, lets just agree to disagree shall we?

• Like 1

The funniest part is you're calling me a fanboy/mall ninja and yet my S-12 hasn't been changed one bit since the day it left the factory :lolol:

I never called you a fanboy or mall nija directly cause I dont know you personlly, just assuming from your response. Hell you might be a swell guy

and have lots of stuff in common, but you came of as a jerk what did you expect?

Well if you dont use an american made mag that gets you to 10, you deserve to be put under the Jail! Forever.

• Like 1

Oh lord guys stop chasing away the new people.. Some of us are trying to make a living here.

I waas going to buy something from you but klassy made me feel like an unwanted convict.

Ha unlikely since I don't make S-12 stuff.

But yeah quite a welcoming committee we have huh :lolol:

The funniest part is you're calling me a fanboy/mall ninja and yet my S-12 hasn't been changed one bit since the day it left the factory :lolol:

I never called you a fanboy or mall nija directly cause I dont know you personlly, just assuming from your response. Hell you might be a swell guy

and have lots of stuff in common, but you came of as a jerk what did you expect?

Well if you dont use an american made mag that gets you to 10, you deserve to be put under the Jail! Forever.

I'm limited by state law to five round factory magazines anyway. No 922r worries here.

Oh lord guys stop chasing away the new people.. Some of us are trying to make a living here.

I waas going to buy something from you but klassy made me feel like an unwanted convict.

Perhaps I can play you a song

post-21696-12726112446668_thumb.jpg

By the looks of this thread this forum certainly added another one yesterday at 10:11pm.

You certainly changed your tune about 922r and the sate of your gun's parts count between your first post and your latter ones. I've decided to make my gun compliant via US mags and a US puck is rather different from "I can really give 2 shits about 922r or how gov troops might bust through my door cause I have 11 imported parts instead of 10."

No one here really cares whether you convert your gun, they might tell you why its advantageous but no one really cares.

People might also explain why not spending a nominal sum to comply with fed law is smarter than running even a slight risk of being charged with what is actually a pretty serious offense.

If your gun was running a US puck, why not say that (and articulating an understanding that you actually need to change 4 parts not 3) rather than saying you don't care about the law and acting like a total ass when someone suggests 922r does matter.

I must admit I am highly amused that you can state so definitively that a converted gun would offer you no advantage, and that you are so much better with it than everyone else here, particularly considering that you have shot it a whole three times!

You have already made it clear that you know everything and are a better shooter than anyone else here so I wonder why you even have signed up to the forum.

Edited by Zambidis

Greetings lupo,

For what its worth re; the 922r regs.

The most common mistake I've see folks make is that they count up their USA parts.

That actually has nothing at all to do with the 922reg's.

The various Saiga weapons were able to be imported because they are classified as a "sporting" gun ...whatever that means :rolleyes:

As soon as a magazine larger than the 5rounder that it was certified for importation with is replaced with a larger capacity magazine - it technically is no longer that "sporting" gun that was OK'ed for importation/sale/use in the USA. It is now a weapon that must comply with 922r. Doesnt matter whether its a USA mag or foreign made - its now considered "NON" sporting and the "counting" begins :cryss:

The point to remember is that you must count up the total number of foreign parts that the gov't boys considers important.

The rifle components total up differently than the shotguns due to how certain components are classified by the regs (ie., the trunnion & reciever debate folks often argue about).

Its doubtful whether you can find anyone whose been busted by the feds for this, or perhaps even anyone whose ever been checked.

None the less, 922 is what it is.

Enjoy your Saiga

HarvKY

Well.... :unsure: welcome aboard....

I got called out a while back for the things I neglected to say.... I thought it was bad, but this blows that sitch away.

This thread is incredible and it looks like you found Klassy's button (Hi Klassy). I wasn't offended at all by the things you said, I just thought they were based on ignorance. Don't take it the wrong way, please. I'm not calling you unintelligent or anything of that nature. When you restore your S12 you will see the light. I just don't understand how you can have such a strong position about restored weapons when you have never experienced one. Anyways, I'm glad you are excited about your S12 because.... that is where the evl seeds of restoration start :devil: Go to the Izhmash site and you will see that S12s were originally intended to have a pistol grip and a separate buttstock. They are imported in 'nuetered' configuration (sporterized).... like yours. This is an excellent opportunity for some restored S12 porn....

post-22401-12726722863331_thumb.jpg

BTW We want to shoot birdshot because it is cheap.... I can fire 400 rounds for $100. For all we know, birdshot may be all we can find someday (or worse, all we are allowed to posess). I would rather know my weapons will reliably eat any 12ga round I can find.... and they do.

Welcome to the boards.

Thank you for your outlook on your near stock Saiga 12 and I appreciate the ammo feeding report. It is always good to have someone test ammo so that others do not NEED to explore all option$ on their own. You may have saved several members some $$. Although I still prefer to spend my $$ on God blessed American ammo when ever possible, thanks again for the report.

Edited by msrdiver

I got called out a while back for the things I neglected to say.... I thought it was bad, but this blows that sitch away.

This thread is incredible and it looks like you found Klassy's button (Hi Klassy). I wasn't offended at all by the things you said, I just thought they were based on ignorance. Don't take it the wrong way, please. I'm not calling you unintelligent or anything of that nature. When you restore your S12 you will see the light. I just don't understand how you can have such a strong position about restored weapons when you have never experienced one. Anyways, I'm glad you are excited about your S12 because.... that is where the evl seeds of restoration start :devil: Go to the Izhmash site and you will see that S12s were originally intended to have a pistol grip and a separate buttstock. They are imported in 'nuetered' configuration (sporterized).... like yours. This is an excellent opportunity for some restored S12 porn....

BTW We want to shoot birdshot because it is cheap.... I can fire 400 rounds for $100. For all we know, birdshot may be all we can find someday (or worse, all we are allowed to posess). I would rather know my weapons will reliably eat any 12ga round I can find.... and they do.

evlblkwpnz, I took your advice and visited the official Izhmash site (actually, I've been there many times before and it seems you have not) and look what I found...

saiga12.jpgsaiga12_kamuf.jpg

Seems that my stock-in-the-box Saiga 12 "unconverted" is a legit Izhmash model. The Saiga 12K is a seperate model and not available here in the states. You can take AK parts, some altered, some not and grind away on your stock Saiga 12 receiver to make it look just like a Saiga 12K. Go right ahead, to each his own. I have handled and fired both converted and unconverted Saiga 12's and I truly prefer shotties with standard (non-pistol grip) stocks (which include my 870 and Mossie). I have owned pistol grip types, Benelli M2 and M4, Spas-12, etc...but I truly believe in the superiority of the Saiga platform, whatever the "configuration". My home is currently in NJ (sob) and by law, my Saigas there are unconverted with factory 5 round mags. My house in PA and at the range in PA that I shoot at, my Saigas are unconverted with factory five round mags.

I hear it all the time, that I need to "restore" my Saiga. Then as soon as one answers back as to why they prefer the stock model, people crawl out of the woodwork and say "Relax...nobody cares if you convert or not!"...really. Some of you "restoration" guys are starting to sound like Jehovah's Witnesses... "Walk into the light of Tromix's love (I will own a 8" SBS from Tony and that will have a pistol grip) and be embraced by Red Jacket's arms...Amen!".

Both of my Benelli's (great weapons) are based on hunting guns with fancy tactical furniture, finish and a bit of tweeking. Wonder if I should put some nice walnut hunting stocks on 'em, re-blue and restore 'em.

Oh yeah...fun thread.

Welcome to the boards.

Thank you for your outlook on your near stock Saiga 12 and I appreciate the ammo feeding report. It is always good to have someone test ammo so that others do not NEED to explore all option$ on their own. You may have saved several members some $$. Although I still prefer to spend my $$ on God blessed American ammo when ever possible, thanks again for the report.

Crap msrdiver, you edited your post before I had a chance to reply (I hate that function). You had some real gems in there. My favorite was the part about people here going after the "Sporting" aspect of the Saiga 12 and how "...we (what'ya have a mouse in your pocket? Who's we?) persue the use of light sporting loads for sporting clays and such...(from memory)" Have you ever gone through the thread Picture Post, Lets see your Saiga 12! and checked out members Saigas? Sporting... is putting a mag load of slugs into an intruders chest at 2:00 AM or (God help me) fending off the zombie hoards considered sport?

You are a funny dude. This thread is such fun stuff, I'm considering canceling my cable subscription.

evlblkwpnz, I took your advice and visited the official Izhmash site (actually, I've been there many times before and it seems you have not) and look what I found...

saiga12.jpgsaiga12_kamuf.jpg

Seems that my stock-in-the-box Saiga 12 "unconverted" is a legit Izhmash model. The Saiga 12K is a seperate model and not available here in the states. You can take AK parts, some altered, some not and grind away on your stock Saiga 12 receiver to make it look just like a Saiga 12K. Go right ahead, to each his own. I have handled and fired both converted and unconverted Saiga 12's and I truly prefer shotties with standard (non-pistol grip) stocks (which include my 870 and Mossie). I have owned pistol grip types, Benelli M2 and M4, Spas-12, etc...but I truly believe in the superiority of the Saiga platform, whatever the "configuration". My home is currently in NJ (sob) and by law, my Saigas there are unconverted with factory 5 round mags. My house in PA and at the range in PA that I shoot at, my Saigas are unconverted with factory five round mags.

I hear it all the time, that I need to "restore" my Saiga. Then as soon as one answers back as to why they prefer the stock model, people crawl out of the woodwork and say "Relax...nobody cares if you convert or not!"...really. Some of you "restoration" guys are starting to sound like Jehovah's Witnesses... "Walk into the light of Tromix's love (I will own a 8" SBS from Tony and that will have a pistol grip) and be embraced by Red Jacket's arms...Amen!".

Both of my Benelli's (great weapons) are based on hunting guns with fancy tactical furniture, finish and a bit of tweeking. Wonder if I should put some nice walnut hunting stocks on 'em, re-blue and restore 'em.

Oh yeah...fun thread.

You are correct, the 'sporting' S12 is a "legit" Izzy model (they come from the Izzy factory in 'sporting' configuration for US civilian consumption), but the S12 was originally intended to be used by Law Enforcement and Private Security units.... and it wasn't in 'sporting' configuration.

I don't care if you restore or not. If you like it nuetered, more power to you. You will save some money. All of the S12s I own will be restored. I have had Norinco AK Hunters with the same 'sporting' stock configuration and I hate it. I converted the one that I kept. It just doesn't feel like an AK with that 'sporting' stock and trigger configuration. The original balance of the AK platform is ruined by that setup.

Enjoy your S12s....