I am 17 so I am allowed to own and handle a rifle legally, but I have had alot more experience with handguns, shotguns, and rifles then most of the kids my age. So I want your guys advice on the most reliable handgun to conceal carry when I turn 21,( courtesy of the old man). I'm looking for power, accuracy, concealability, and durability.

Thank You :killer:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

GLOCK!!!! you will not regret it...

Okay, since the Op's there, I'll go off topic for a sec... The AK (7.62x39) round is proving to be much more effective @ long distance due to it's weight, so regardless of how accurate the AR is it'

I loved the 1911.. I was a snob for quite a while, but reliable? No. They can be quite fussy about mags and ammo.   My Springfield XD45 is boring. No matter what I feed it, or how I abuse it, it alw

Posted Images

I am not particularly experienced with many handguns. I have mainly used an M9 beretta, but that's just for military.

When I get back home, I plan on looking into a 1911.

If you're 17, you have roughly 3-4 years to research as much as you need to over the weapons you like.

Your right I have a while to think it over, but i'm no punk kid so I want all of the experienced guys on the forum to help out. And yes the M9 is ok for wounding someone and running away, but i'm looking for stopping power, like the 1911. But the 1911 is kind of bulky so I was leaning towards the Springfeild XD .40 Subcompact, you should look into it.

Edited by JaySaiga-12

I am not particularly experienced with many handguns. I have mainly used an M9 beretta, but that's just for military.

If you're 17, you have roughly 3-4 years to research as much as you need to over the weapons you like.

Your right I have a while to think it over, but i'm no punk kid so I want all of the experienced guys on the forum to help out. And yes the M9 is ok for wounding someone and running away, but i'm looking for stopping power, like the 1911. But the 1911 is kind of bulky so I was leaning towards the Springfeild XD .40 Subcompact, you should look into it.

You're leaning in a very good direction. After much experimentation and expense this is the gun that I have settled on for concealed carry. You talked about power, accuracy, concealability, and durability. I would add reliability to the front of that list. Well there are guns that beat the XD .40 SC in all of those catagories but in my opinion this gun covers all those issues extremely well. Speaking of opinions, just like everyone else, thats what it will all boil down to for you, too. In your case I wouldn't rush it. Your opinion will probably change many times over the next four years as you try out more and more guns.

You're leaning in a very good direction. After much experimentation and expense this is the gun that I have settled on for concealed carry. You talked about power, accuracy, concealability, and durability. I would add reliability to the front of that list. Well there are guns that beat the XD .40 SC in all of those catagories but in my opinion this gun covers all those issues extremely well. Speaking of opinions, just like everyone else, thats what it will all boil down to for you, too. In your case I wouldn't rush it. Your opinion will probably change many times over the next four years as you try out more and more guns.

Thanks for the advice, and yeah the .40 SC is a great gun like you said, and reliable, put theres another gun just like it. Rugar p90 .45 ACP, but it's little more bulky. Plus the de-cocker on it is annoying.

If you think you can handle the kick, go for the S&W Model 60. Sure it's only got 5 rounds, but .357 125 grain SJHP rounds is the best man stopper. If the person you hit doesn't go down from that, then they're not human.

IMI Jericho all day long.

I have one in .40 and it eats everything I feed it, shoots better than I do, and is built like a tank. I can't speak for the polymer models, but I love my full size steel one.

If not the IMI Jericho, Uzi Eagle, or Baby Eagle (all the same pistol with different names) then I would recommend the EAA Witness, which the Jericho is based on, or a CZ of some sort. If you really want .45 I'd suggest a CZ 97.

All of these are based on the design of the original CZ75, which is based on the design of the Browning Hi-Power, which was (in my opinion) John Browning's improvement of his 1911 design.

Realistically though anyone can recommend you an amazing pistol and then when you get it it just might not click with you for any number of reasons. What feels comfortable and is easy for one person to use, may give another person problems. Such as the Glock. Some guys swear by them, and I am sure they are fine and reliable pistols, however, in my hand, they are just not comfortable at all and I hate the trigger system. It doesn't mean it's a bad design, it just means it's not for me. Plus they explode sometimes. (had to add that :P)

One word about external thumb safeties. I really, really, really like not having one. If you have a thumb safety then thats one more thing you have to think about in a very high stress situation of having to draw and fire your weapon. I don't care if you "always" carry the weapon with safety on or safety off or whatever, thats still one more thing you have to check off in your mind when fractions of a second may be important. I consider it an advantage to have a weapon that is always ready to fire when a round is chambered.

I'm looking for power, accuracy, concealability, and durability.

I notice round count and reload speed wasn't on the list. To that end, I would suggest a revolver of some sort. For power, perhaps a 357 mag, though I understand Taurus is coming out with a 40 and 45 revolver later this year.

You can't go wrong with a Glock either IMO. Not as concealable as a 380, but still. I've had the same one since 1988.

Edited by Corbin

I personally want a Glock 29 for open/concealed carry. I think the 10mm round is no joke. In certain bullet weights, it is more powerful than a .357mag. I want one to carry as a side arm for hunting and to keep in my truck or on me when I'm in a less than reputable location. The Glock 29 is a compact size gun with a 10 round magazine and can take G20 15 round mags as well.

10mm

180 gr (12 g) Hornady XTP1,350 ft/s (410 m/s)728 ft·lbf (987 J)

.45ACP

185 gr (12.0 g) Buffalo Bore JHP +P[3]1,080 ft/s (330 m/s)479 ft·lbf(649 J)

IMO the 10mm is just about the best caliber you can get in a semi-auto pistol. I'd say its pretty comparable to a .45+p in terms of recoil. Its a smaller (in diameter) than a .45 so a magazine can hold more rounds and its more powerful027.gif If you've ever shot a .357 magnum revolver, you can handle a 10mm. These are just reasons why I want a G29. If it can stop a bear, it sure as hell will stop any ill-willed human.

Edited by DrGonZo

If you think you can handle the kick, go for the S&W Model 60. Sure it's only got 5 rounds, but .357 125 grain SJHP rounds is the best man stopper. If the person you hit doesn't go down from that, then they're not human.

I have been carrying for about a year now. Mostly an LCR, in the pocket. If I had to do it over again, I would have gone with a S&W 340 357 MAGNUM M&P. Its lighter and you can use 357mag or 38spl. I think whatever you carry, it HAS to be light and concealable...or you end up leaving it at home, & it won't help you there. I think the general concensus believes that revolvers are, in general, the most realiable design. I also own an HK USP Compact in 40 cal. Great in everything you described you wanted, expect concealablity. Maybe a HK P2000 is better there? Or a Glock 30, idk never shot one?

Best advise is to try a bunch or range guns(rentals) and decide for yourself.

-EnzNow

Edited by EnzNow

The biggest suggestion I can give you is...DONT get caught up in all the Glock vs. XD bullcrap. :deadhorse: Its old, Its pointless. lol

Glocks are great guns. XDs are great guns. If you want to go that route, try them both, see what you like best.

As far as caliber if you want stopping power you are righ ton. Id stick with a .40 or above.

Im sure you can find plenty of suggestions and info here. Welcome.

You have 3-4 years to shop. I would suggest shopping a lot, handle a lot of weapons. There are MANY more out there than xd and glock. You may find some thing that fits you perfectly.

Any handgun from a top manufacturer that is comfortable for you to hold, shoot, and otherwise operate should be fine. Glocks, Springfield XDs, Sig Sauer, H&K, and Smith & Wesson M&Ps are some of the top contenders. Personally, I prefer the Smith & Wesson M&P, but pick what feels best to you.

Edited by hogdog

Great question and lots of answers.

1. Glocks always work. (I don't like the .40, the bullet doesn't sit the whole way in the chamber and that's a high pressure round.)

2. Xd's always work.

3. My 1911 works great after sticking to good mags and good ammo.

4. Revolvers are the most reliable and offer more choices. (plus you don't leave casings on the ground)

5. The .357 has more confirmed kills than all the others in police forced to fire situations. (and you can use .38 and .38+p)

6. The .45acp also has a great record of stopping power. Big, slow, and lots of choices.

7. The .40 is a scaled down 10mm, it's cheaper, still quite effective, but very high pressure.

8. The 10mm is the big boy auto round, but expensive.

9. A lot of people like the 9mm. (high capacity, low recoil, cheap, and thanks to cor-bon and some others, some +p choices break the 400lb/ft mark I swear by.)

You've got a real fun problem on your hands that all of us have at some point. Doing your research is a big part of the fun. Enjoy.

One thing you will quickly discover about pistols is that ergonomics and feel are very important... there are a wide range of dependable, accurate pistols to choose from. In the end, the best pistol is a very personal choice--it's the best pistol for your hands, and what you plan to do with it that matters. Conceal carry? Target pistol? Home defense? Narrow down its purpose first, settle on a caliber, and then go to a range that rents (or with a buddy who has several) and try shooting them before you decide.

I can't say anything bad about Glocks and they are a common first choice. But I don't own one because I just can't shoot it as well as other pistols. My favorite is the CZ-75B, or as someone else suggested the IMI Baby Eagle clone of it (though the latter is very heavy).

You'll hear a lot of guys swear that anything less than .45 (or maybe .40) is useless as a man-stopper... but speed and placement is way more important in a gun fight. If you can't shoot it quickly and still be accurate, bigger calibers will be more of a handicap due to extra recoil. They are also way more expensive to practice with--and if you want to be good you will have to practice with a pistol. A lot. So I steer all new shooters to 9mm. Once you get good with that, buy a second gun in .45 with the money you saved on ammo.

• Like 2

I have to admit, I carry a .380 in the summer, and the XD45 in the winter. Depending upon clothes, your frame, and how you carry, concealment will in some part dictate what you pick.

Nothing is more annoying than someone with a bad carry. If I can see it in line at the bank or when you sit down in a chair, you need to do some thinking.

I personally prefer .45ACP as a man-stopper, and feel better knowing I have 13 more rounds to back the first one up. Also, the .45ACP is NOT a bad round to double-tap. I have heard so many stories of people acting like a 45 was bad, I wanted to make that clear.

The Glock bashing is just good natured ribbing. I personally hate the grip angle, and Glock owners with SERPA holsters do have a tendency to shoot themselves from time to time... but it's a matter of experience and preference.

Since you said "most reliable", my money would be on a revolver. *If* my life depended on one shot, a revolver will always be #1 in my books. They're an older, proven technology that is easily replicated and reliable. And there's no need to worry about the second shot due to unreliable ammo, cycling issues, feed issues, fte issues, etc, etc, etc. Yes, in general, they're slower to reload and have fewer shots...but I wouldn't trade reliability for more rounds (unless I'm expecting to fight off an army). Get one of the big names like Ruger or S&W and you won't have gone wrong.

I'm not sure what state you live in or what the laws are there. However, I think it'd be a good idea to find a gun range reasonably close to you that does handgun rentals and either go when you are whatever age they require due to company policy/state law or bring an adult with you. Try out a whole bunch of pistols of all different brands and sizes in all different calibers and see what you like best. The reality is there is no "best" handgun and no handgun that tops every category, it all comes down to personal preference above all else.

I'd say, in order of importance, things to look for:

1. Ergonomics - doesn't matter if every single person on the internet loves this gun, if it feels like shit in your hand, it's not for you

2. Controllability - Same as before as well. Many people might like a certain caliber, but if you can't control the pistol well in a controlled setting like range practice, you probably won't if your life is on the line! So find something you can easily control as well.

Then after that, consider how well it conceals, how effective the self defense loads in that particular caliber are, how you like the sights or the safety or the magazine release, etc.

EDIT: Also keep in mind your state may have a certain age require to carry a gun, and federal law states you must be 21 to buy from an FFL, but in some states you can purchase a handgun in a private transaction at 18 years old. If your state is one of them, that'd give you plenty of time to practice with it as well and decide what you like best.

Edited by Classy Kalashnikov