New Poly-Choke Breachers

Meh. There's a reason that I sold my slotted Polychoke to buy a (much shorter) non-slotted version.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the reason?

I'd think the slotted version would be the best of the world of "choke", a bit of the world of break. But I doubt the slots are effective as a break.

Is it due to cleaning? I've heard the slotted version can be APITA to clean.

Just wondering.

Meh. There's a reason that I sold my slotted Polychoke to buy a (much shorter) non-slotted version.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the reason?

I'd think the slotted version would be the best of the world of "choke", a bit of the world of break. But I doubt the slots are effective as a break.

Is it due to cleaning? I've heard the slotted version can be APITA to clean.

Just wondering.

A major reason for my decision is in my first post: (much shorter). The slotted Polychoke, (and these "breachers" look to be about the same size), is ~2" longer than the non-slotted version. I don't know about you, but imo 19" of barrel with a ~1.5", (the length of the non-slotted Polychoke), muzzle device is already too damn long.

As for what "braking" effects the slots have, forget about it. In my experience, all they do is make the gun louder for the shooter. This is also true of Shark Brakes, Warthogs, etc, etc, etc. Screw-on muzzle brakes work on rifles. They merely look "cool" on shotguns.

Also, you're right. The slots are a serious PITA to clean. I had to spend ~30-45 min with an Xacto knife scraping the carbon off mine before I sold it. Those slots are pretty damn sharp, too. I cut my thumb pretty badly the first time I tried to loosen my slotted Poly by hand.

To each his own, of course, but in my experience the only really functional part of a Polychoke is the actual choke. Extended slots and "breacher" teeth have many drawbacks, but few, if any, real advantages.

ymmv.

Most guys who go for the breachers do so because it looks cool to have a wicked pointy flash-hider-with-teeth doohickey on the end of your gun.:unsure: Whats wrong with that?

I like the idea behind this muzzle device cause it gives you the functionality of the polychoke with the aggressive looks of a breacher.

• Like 1

OK.... those of you who want to get one of these spiffy Polybreachers. I am interested in your non-slotted Polychoke.

I think this new product looks ok and will probably fill the 'for sale' section with cheap Polychokes. Sounds great.

The door breaching teeth on all of the muzzle brakes can be used to incapacitate the bad guys in a CQB situation. Anybody with the smallest amount of LEO or Military training would appreciate the advantage of this.

The door breaching teeth on all of the muzzle brakes can be used to incapacitate the bad guys in a CQB situation. Anybody with the smallest amount of LEO or Military training would appreciate the advantage of this.

+1....You don't have to shoot everybody.... :devil:

bounce a breacher off someones forehead, and that will slow them down a notch.

I like the poly-choke I have on 1 gun. I would have gone

with the new one.

Edited by read_the_wall

Iirc, an article from The Box O' Truth( http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot44_2.htm ), demonstrated that there is no significant advantage to a choke versus no choke. Are you guys really getting so much out of the choke to make it worth it.

That asked, It is a nice looking attachment.

There might not be a difference shooting buckshot through a choke but what kind of numb nuts would shoot buck shot through a full choke ? If anything it would spread the pattern. Perhaps if he had tried some ammo that you would expect to need a choke with like #7 bird shot he would have seen a major improvement. Chokes are for bird shot and using one will mean the difference between bringing home a grouse or turkey and not bringing home the same.

• Like 1

I'm with post-apocalyptic. I had a slotted polychoke on my first S12 and yes, a polychoke does wonderful things with birdshot, which is what I mainly use that gun for. Therefore I call that my "birdshot gun".

I liked the polychoke so much I bought a non-slotted polychoke for my second S12. The second S12 was really more of a home defense gun so I wanted it to be as short as legally possibly. I call this my buckshot gun. It has an internal stock adapter and a mid-size Ace stock. I quickly realized I never even used that choke so I removed it and put it on my first S12 because like post-apocalyptic I liked the shorter choke than the slotted muzzle bling. I realized the same thing about the barrel threads & the stock folding mechanism so they were also removed. I now consider that gun to be the perfect legal length S12 (the shorter Ace stock would put my nose into the back of the receiver).

That box o truth review is fine regarding hunting or home defense but if you shoot bird shot you'll notice the difference between a cyl bore and a polychoke set as tight as it can go by the end of 1 12 round mag. On a paper target I can quickly blow the center black out completely instead of simply peppering the entire target evenly. If you ever shoot competitively the tighter group can really help knock down steel poppers that are set too persistent. More shot on target = more energy transferred to push the target over.

Edited by hobbyshooter

I have a non slotted poly-choke on my S-12, a choke does in fact work wonders in patterning with birdshot, and adjusts very easily back open to imp cyl for buck/slugs. The more restricted choke settings like full and xtra full also serve a side purpose of slightly increasing pressure and helps cycling light loads.

Between being a choke and breacher, I really can't think of a better all-around S-12 muzzle device than this one.

So is that one on the left a standalone poly choke without venting or the goofy door breacher?

So is that one on the left a standalone poly choke without venting or the goofy door breacher?

Yep. That's the model I use.

If people don't like the slots because they get crud in them, but they like the breaching points, how about something like this? Granted, this was just a 10 minute photoshop job and not very clean/professional:

poly.jpg

Wow! CSS rocks! Awesome stuff for sale, stupid fast shipping, and now this! as a responce to a forum question?

Do you guys do home loans? :super: