13 members have voted

1. 1. Which semi auto to get?

• Semi auto RPK (hey they're cheap)
    • Semit auto RPD
    • Semi auto PKM
    • Other

I've been looking into buying a semi auto LMG. I was looking at getting a RPK but I stumbled across a semi auto PKM that Vltor is building receivers for and a semi auto RPDs that Vector makes. Does any one have any experience with belt feed semi auto?

I don't have a ton of money to drop on a real MG so I figure a semi-auto clone would be the next best thing. The RPK is looking like the cheapest of the three and I could use my mountain of my AK mags and part for it.

Any thought, experience or ideas would be cool.

I was looking at those too, then I stumbled across these: the DP-28 converted for semi-auto. They shoot the 7.62x54r and use 47 round pancake mags. They had some already made up, but sold out. I'm hoping they run another batch.

http://www.militarygunsupply.com/shop2/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=dp-28

• Like 1

I was looking at those too, then I stumbled across these: the DP-28 converted for semi-auto. They shoot the 7.62x54r and use 47 round pancake mags. They had some already made up, but sold out. I'm hoping they run another batch.

http://www.militarygunsupply.com/shop2/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=dp-28

Oh, how I love the dinner plate!!! Was one of my favorite LMGs in World at War :lolol:

I went with a Polish RPD.

I had Pirate over at Project guns over in Boca Raton, Fl Build one for me

Beautiful work, and both "Pirate" and "Firearms Alchemist" are great guys to deal with.

Heck, if You want to do the work Yourself He'll even help You with that.

Check out there websight for more info.post-20332-0-53290900-1289304591_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

does any one other the vector arms make a RPD?

I've found some polish RPD kits. Any one actually built one?

I haven't yet but because of this thread I'm going to. :super: I hope. :unsure: I just ordered a parts kit and drums. I'm going to try to do a re-weld for a receiver and save $500.

See how many months this idea festered in my head before I took the plunge.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone have any experience with these? I thought I saw one on Sons of Guns on top of a shelf or something:

M230_side-large.jpg

*EDIT TO ADD* I just saw the SOG episode that had that 1919 in it. For those that missed it, the lighter barrel slows the cyclic rate. Not that it would matter much with a semi auto though. I think the conversion cut about 10 pounds from the weapon overall. I'd have to watch it again to get the exact number.

Edited by Corbin

The 1919 is a better gun than the M60, but it's heavy. Yes, I've fired and disassembled both. In semi form as a range toy, I'd rather have the Browning. If I had to hump it, I'd take the 60, in its lightest form.

The 1919 is a better gun than the M60, but it's heavy. Yes, I've fired and disassembled both. In semi form as a range toy, I'd rather have the Browning. If I had to hump it, I'd take the 60, in its lightest form.

yea, ive read that the M60 was at times finicky, and had a tendency to malfunction when dirty. the browning i havent really looked into, but i know it has a great reputation. maybe the answer is to get both. put the browning on the pickup truck, and keep the M60 at home.

you know what else would be cool to get? a semi auto BAR. i was eying that and a semi auto version of the STG44. both run for about 4000. but the BAR doesnt have a pistol grip on it, so it doesnt require a bullet button in california, plus ammo is easier to find in 30-06 than 7.92x33 kurz

if i only had an extra 9000 dollars, id buy both