POLL: Brass v Steel case

Brass vs Steel case  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Who shoots Brass or steel case and why?

• Steel Case
    • Brass beacuase you reload
    • Brass because "steel is bad for your firearm"
    • Brass for another reason

I shoot whichever is cheaper in my AK (5.45) and AR, which is always steel cased Russian stuff. I just got 1k rounds of Tula .223 shipped to my door for $200. I think I can afford a new extractor or bolt if those ever just explode, and after 2k rounds, I'll have saved enough for a whole new upper.

I did speak with a guy yesterday whose AR will not cycle steel cased ammo at all, and all I had to say was, "Dang. Suxxors to be you!" :lolol:

I think I can afford a new extractor or bolt if those ever just explode, and after 2k rounds, I'll have saved enough for a whole new upper.

your going about it with the right attitude, but just for clarification the extractor will simply wear where it grabbes onto the rim of the shell you intend to extract and eventualy fail to do so. Its possible at this point to have a jam/misfeed on a spent shell still in the chamber.

Simply unload the weapon, knock out the spent but unejected round, replace the extractor(with some care to how everything sits).

Not a huge deal. But with brass rounds at about $0.30 a round if you catch a sale, I just don't feel the itch to stock up on steel, and even deal with the above.

I shoot only steel.

In fact I not only shoot only steel cased out of my saiga, I only shoot steel cased out of my Mosin, my two Glock 9mm's (well practice ammo at least), and even my custom AR-15 has never even shot anything but steel cased :D

• 2 months later...

with an AK it is run whatever you want as they were made to run anything.

With gas guns I always recommend brass, not due to it being softer (which is a nice benefit) but because it always burns cleaner. I have torn down and repaired gas guns that have lived on steel ammo, the long term effects are nasty! However if you have a gas gun that has been converted to a piston, I treat it like an AK and will feed it most any reputable ammo.

I know this poll is fairly old.. but since I've just recently returned to the board, this is the first time I've seen it.

I voted "a"; I exclusively shoot steel-cased Russkie 7.62x39. The main reason for this is cost, of course. However, as others have said, unlike many other platforms, (such as the AR), AK's are designed with steel-cased cartridges in mind.

If the extractor/s fail after ~180k rather than ~200k rounds, because of the difference in cartridge materials, I'm ok with replacing that part. :rolleyes:

I honestly shoot more brass. I do not reload for x39.

I shoot a lot of steel too but yugo is cheap, it's loaded hot, it's accurate, it's reliable and consistent...And I just pull the primers and throw all that brass in shoe boxes. Brass is worth a decent chunk of money.

I shoot both. I tend to shoot steel trough comblock stuff but have been know to put Wolf through my ARs and handguns. Never had a failure. Handguns usually get WWB or other brass too as I reload a lot. With a shooting volume of 30K+ handgun rounds a year I have to reload.

BTW, the S&B Range Safe stuff with the brass washed steel case did accidentally wind up in my brass a while ago, and it reloads fine too, using a Dillon 500 and Lee dyes. I am weeding it out with a magnet now but I did a couple of hundred before I realized it was mixed in my brass. Just FYI for those interested. I would not make a habit if it though.

everyone shoots steel, this is a waste of a poll,

btw, i was told that american brass bullets (.308) are "smaller" than russian bullets (.311) which may cause loss of accuracy equal to that of crappy powder in the russian bulk

Negative ghostrider. Don't believe everything you hear.

023-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Steel Case Ammo because...

*Its the cheapest

*I like to shoot (its the cheapest)

*Quality v.s. Price is very Good

*Accuracy is good

*I'd rather have 500rnds of steel case ammo, than a 100rnds of Brass case ammo

Last but not least....

*Its what the AK was made to shoot

• 1 month later...

I shoot steel in my Saigas, even though I do reload.

Reloading isn't going to work for a 7.62x39 Saiga. The neck bulge sees to that. If that weren't the case, I'd give it a try just to see if there's a worthwhile optimum load.

I shoot steel in my .223 Saiga because I don't have to chase brass. Plus, loaded steel Wolf/Tula/Herters/Brown Bear goes for about the same as what it costs me to reload brass. My reloads would use a better bullet, though. With steel the time at the range is spent shooting, not looking for brass.

The brass .223 I do reload is set aside for the Mini-14s and the bolt guns.

Reloading isn't going to work for a 7.62x39 Saiga. The neck bulge sees to that.

Bad generalization, not all Saiga 7.62x39s have a stepped chamber, and as stated, spent brass with bulge is very reloadable.

Edited by ChileRelleno

Reloading isn't going to work for a 7.62x39 Saiga. The neck bulge sees to that. If that weren't the case, I'd give it a try just to see if there's a worthwhile optimum load...

Not all Saiga 7.62x39's have the chamber "step" that bulges, (marks), case necks. Even if yours does have this Russian gun control feature; the brass can be reloaded, as forum member sh00ter has shown. Far from ideal? Oh yeah. Possible at least a couple times? Yep.

• 1 month later...

I know this poll is fairly old.. but since I've just recently returned to the board, this is the first time I've seen it.

I voted "a"; I exclusively shoot steel-cased Russkie 7.62x39. The main reason for this is cost, of course. However, as others have said, unlike many other platforms, (such as the AR), AK's are designed with steel-cased cartridges in mind.

If the extractor/s fail after ~180k rather than ~200k rounds, because of the difference in cartridge materials, I'm ok with replacing that part. :rolleyes:

^This.

• Like 1

You left one option off the poll: Whichever I can get my hands on the cheapest. :lolol:

For my Com-bloc guns, it's normally steel unless I'm looking for deer/elk for the freezer, then I run 203gr Winchester or 203gr Silver Bear in the Mosin. For target in my .38, it's all brass. Target loads in my .40S&W(before I sold it to get my Arsenal) were whatever was cheapest, but normally Wolf or TulAmmo. When I get my new handgun, it will be whatever is cheapest on range day.

I do have some brass x39 and x54r other than Yugo. I caught a sporting goods store closing here, and got everything in my calibers 90% off. It ended up filling 3/4 of a shopping cart, and they gave me the cart for free.:haha: Didn't feel bad parting with $400 that day.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Reloading isn't going to work for a 7.62x39 Saiga. The neck bulge sees to that. If that weren't the case, I'd give it a try just to see if there's a worthwhile optimum load...

Not all Saiga 7.62x39's have the chamber "step" that bulges, (marks), case necks. Even if yours does have this Russian gun control feature; the brass can be reloaded, as forum member sh00ter has shown. Far from ideal? Oh yeah. Possible at least a couple times? Yep.

I now have three reloads from the "deadly bulged brass" oh no......I haven't had a failure yet! You better give me that brass to save yourself!

I still shoot more steel as a matter of cost but I like to play with reloads just to see what I can do! It just adds to my hobby to reload.