using 3" shells

I have been searching to no avail to find a thread with information on firing 3" shells. I have always just shot 2 3/4". Do you have to do anything to the mags to use them? Could someone point me in the right direction or give me information on what I should know before attempting to use these 3" shells. Thanks

I have been searching to no avail to find a thread with information on firing 3" shells. I have always just shot 2 3/4". Do you have to do anything to the mags to use them? Could someone point me in the right direction or give me information on what I should know before attempting to use these 3" shells. Thanks

Well almost every single mag will feed 3" shells...except the drums; MD20, Promag drums, Alliance Armament...w.e. else is out there. The larger mags like the SGM 12 rounders and perhaps 10 rounders..depending on what kind of 3" you are firing may have problems lifting all that weight. Say if you were firing 3" 000buck rounds, that's a DAMN LOT of lead and weight and the mag may have feeding problems. Otherwise, there is nothing else you would need to know before firing 3" shells other than, of coarse, gun safety and HAVE FUN :super:

Edited by JJ the GUN MAN

That is great news. Thanks for the info. Can't wait to shoot them. Searching for information about this is difficult because '3"' is less than three characters. I will say that because of this I spend hours looking through old posts and learning volumes of information about this weapon that I am obsessed with. And I am also always busting out in laughter while reading. Thanks again. :smoke:

That expensive British aluminum drum had a 3" version. I can't think of the name off hand, but it looks similar to the AA, except it is known to work. It also had an option for molot magwell comparability that was attractive.

That expensive British aluminum drum had a 3" version. I can't think of the name off hand, but it looks similar to the AA, except it is known to work. It also had an option for molot magwell comparability that was attractive.

your thinking of the maxrounds drum.

Yeah. that's it. It looks like it costs about the same as a saiga not including shipping, and import issues, and must weigh lots, but something is awesome about magwell comparable 30 rounds of 3" mag. I would still buy the MD instead, but I wish he would hurry up with the doublestacks.

Did Promag steal the market out from under Mr. Hadley's mini drum?

The RIO Slugs and buck will not fit the MD-20 either :-( If only the MD-20 was just a little bit longer...

Any source for cheap buck and slugs that will fit a MD-2? I guess 10 rounds will JUST have to do ;) LOL

yeah. load youre own. i use remington bulk target hulls to make some pretty nice buckshot.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

3 inchers or magnum loads are just plain stupid buy or shoot. They cost more money and kick the shit out of u a lot more and for what? Difference between a 3 inch slug or 2.75 inch slug is a half inch at 100 yards. In regard to buck shot 1550 rps versus 1800-2000 rps. 2.75 slugs or buck will suffice for home defense or hunting deer or bear.

• Like 1

3 inchers or magnum loads are just plain stupid buy or shoot. They cost more money and kick the shit out of u a lot more and for what? Difference between a 3 inch slug or 2.75 inch slug is a half inch at 100 yards. In regard to buck shot 1550 rps versus 1800-2000 rps. 2.75 slugs or buck will suffice for home defense or hunting deer or bear.

Thats pretty much how i feel too. IMO, the only thing 3" has going for it is with buckshot and birdshot. Usually it has a higher pellet count vs. comparable 2-3/4" but thats about it.

"2.75 slugs or buck will suffice for home defense or hunting deer or bear."

That's a little too broad. What kind of bear? And no buck will penetrate enough for bear...

3" magnum shells are for big game. Buck or slugs.

The most recommended 12G shell for the largest bear is brenneke black magic slugs. Which are 3" magnums.

• Like 1

At wally world you can get a 15 count pack of 2 and 3/4 rifled slugs for $8.97. Thats the cheapest slugs I can find.

The RIO Slugs and buck will not fit the MD-20 either :-( If only the MD-20 was just a little bit longer...

Any source for cheap buck and slugs that will fit a MD-2? I guess 10 rounds will JUST have to do ;) LOL

I love 3" #2 winchester xpert. Its plenty cheap(I bought 250 for $90 = $.36 a round). This is simply for my own personal plinking use though, as I find the trap/target loads... well boring.

For sporting use with bird its more shot.

For home defense 15 pellet 00 buck is more lead down range.

Slugs are the only time I don't see a lot of gain in going 3".

At wally world you can get a 15 count pack of 2 and 3/4 rifled slugs for $8.97. Thats the cheapest slugs I can find.

$8.97 is the best deal on the planet. They run clean and are very accurate.

I bought a case of 2.75" Centurion 1400fps rifled slugs and they fit. I've read only good things about them and they're fairly cheap... about 50 cents each delivered.

Edited by Mike1234567

I got a crap ton of 3" from a coworker that cant use them for hunting. Which gas setting would be best to fire those in? They will be used on a brand new saiga 12ga 19". That I'll be picking up in just over a week.

use gas setting #1. thats the one for high power rounds

by the way, i would think that if in bear country, youd probably want to have a mag full of magnum slugs. the recoil from a magnum slug will hurt alot less than being mauled to death by an angry bear

also, i realize that 2 3/4 slugs would probably work just as well for deterring a bear, but the way i see it, the extra power couldnt hurt