How short is a short front grip?

Hey guys,

Time to order a new VFG, and I'm torn as to which one to go with.

My left shoulder is pretty torn up, so I like to keep my hands close together when I shoot--so I don't want a grip that mounts way out on the front of the weapon. The issue is that with the rock n' lock design of a Saiga, a full-sized vertical front grip tends to be pushed too far out by the magazine as it's being manipulated.

So what I'm looking for is a compact VFG that is big enough to get some purchase on and that will give me the consistant ergonomics of a grip (as opposed to just grabbing the mag, as I usually do), but is short enough to be pulled pretty far towards me.

I'm thinking this one from Carolina Shooter Supply, but could also go with the Tapcos or any of the other myriad of shorty grips.

Anyone have thoughts or experience?

Thanks.

The shorty I have on the HP 99TS in this picture is 3" from the rail or a 3 finger grip. It works well and has storage for an extra battery under the pull out plug (that fits very tight). I got it off ebay for around $7.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&section=viewimage&img=3360

SVG.jpg

This is the one I've always used on my S12. Short, fat, and easy to grab. Is also polymer so it's light weight and also has a rubber "seal" on the bottom for storage inside the grip. I love this how comfortable it is to hold. CAA makes it. Just google CAA short grip and you'll get thousands or results. Very inexpensive.

I like the Tango Down stubbies. Definitely not the cheapest in the bunch, but you can find them used for like $25 and the lock up rock solid. I prefer the shortest grip possible, as I mainly use a VFG for indexing and pressure. I don't grip it like a baseball bat. I still need to chop down a full length Tango Down that I have, for my S12.

+1 for the KZ Stubby

On sale for $20 at bt!! I had never seen that before, looks like a great cheap grip.

I am impressed with mine. All aluminum construction, locks up tight on the rail, and offers internal storage space. Not bad at all for the price!