Hey guys,

I get this stuff at WM....is it good stuff for the S-12?

2011-05-18_16-06-40_800.jpg

Thanks!

FTS

it should run just fine , here is what most do not understand about shotshell is that besides gauge and length the two most important numbers on the box are clearly marked in the picture the two most important being DR.EQ. (this is the amount of powder load in shell) and OZ. (the payload weight ) if you look at the cheap junk you might see the OZ. weight but you Will Not see the DR. EQ. instead you will see a FPS. 1200 ,1290 or 1300 ((how long was the test barrel ? ???)

so if you cannot find a DR. EQ. or Dram Equivalent marked on the box by something different that does show it !!!! walmart Remmy are marked at 3 DR. EQ. and will run in my gun , and the high FPS stuff , but i shop by Dram Equivalent nothing less than a 3 ,3 3/4 are good the 3 3/4 is better and in a 2 3/4" shell ,3 3/4 Dram is near max dram for the shell

with shot shells it is a numbers game watch the numbers and you will not have a problem !

FL Thunder Stick , it is high base + it`s 3 3/4 Dram Equivalent loaded + and it is heavy payload 1 1/4 Oz. + so it should run just fine for you

• Like 1
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wait ...What???   So you went through all that (getting yourself, your Wife, Your Daughter, & a group min-wage Walmart employees all stressed out) without knowing if your S12 will cycle it ??

Id look at it as getting free ammo, a few bucks AND a chance to see if your gun will eat the worst of the worst ammo.... plus, if it doesn't, you said you have an 870 right? its a win win!

There have been times when my wife was going to Walmart and I would think "Hey I could use some ammo". Then I remember the old saying "Never send a woman to do mans work." And the Walmart employee cre

it should run just fine , here is what most do not understand about shotshell is that besides gauge and length the two most important numbers on the box are clearly marked in the picture the two most important being DR.EQ. (this is the amount of powder load in shell) and OZ. (the payload weight ) if you look at the cheap junk you might see the OZ. weight but you Will Not see the DR. EQ. instead you will see a FPS. 1200 ,1290 or 1300 ((how long was the test barrel ? ???)

so if you cannot find a DR. EQ. or Dram Equivalent marked on the box by something different that does show it !!!! walmart Remmy are marked at 3 DR. EQ. and will run in my gun , and the high FPS stuff , but i shop by Dram Equivalent nothing less than a 3 ,3 3/4 are good the 3 3/4 is better and in a 2 3/4" shell ,3 3/4 Dram is near max dram for the shell

with shot shells it is a numbers game watch the numbers and you will not have a problem !

FL Thunder Stick , it is high base + it`s 3 3/4 Dram Equivalent loaded + and it is heavy payload 1 1/4 Oz. + so it should run just fine for you

Thanks!

That is great info to have when looking for ammo. YOU ROCK!!!

FTS

This is full of FAIL. Why not just fix your gun so it will shoot all ammo? You should have known your wife would get different from what you asked.

Make it run off of all ammo? Now there's an idea. Makes too much sense though :angel:

High Cost.... ahem.... I mean, High Brass anyone?

This is full of FAIL. Why not just fix your gun so it will shoot all ammo? You should have known your wife would get different from what you asked.

Maybe he's in the process, I mean, we aren't all rich. He's probably too busy taking care of his family to worry about sending his gun to a smith to get some reliability mods done instead of just shooting the correct ammo through it...

We can't all be pilots...

My Saiga wasn't made to shoot low power shells and I have no intention of modifying it with low power springs, opening the ports and the like to make it do so. I am happy with it shooting buck and slugs reliably. If I need a gun to shoot cheap ass low quality ammo I can always use my 870.

My Saiga wasn't made to shoot low power shells and I have no intention of modifying it with low power springs, opening the ports and the like to make it do so. I am happy with it shooting buck and slugs reliably. If I need a gun to shoot cheap ass low quality ammo I can always use my 870.

Same here. My gun sounds like its about right where yours is... won't shoot the winchester but does well with the federal. It's always handled anything with a little gusto perfectly. It wouldn't shoot either of the bulk pack at first, but after some breaking in and a good polish and reprofile it will fire the federal respectably but not the winchester. That's good enough for me. That allows me to have some good cheap fun with it without having to get down into the ports with a drill and file and some hammers to bubba the block off. I could probably do it... but doing it just to shoot winchester when I can just buy the federal? Not worth it.

Anyway, to add to the whole walmart saga... A few months back a friend of mine bought his first pistol and wanted to go shooting with me. I told him to go to walmart and get some rounds. He was a little intimidated about that I guess because he doesn't know much about guns etc. etc... so I told him just to ask for 9 millimeter and they'll know what he's talking about. So the next day when we're supposed to go shoot he tells me that he went there and they told him they didn't have any. I was in the same store an hour earlier before he went to buy his and had bought a box myself of the dozen that were there. We both went back there and the same number of boxes were still in the shelf. So, someone at sporting goods had just told him they didn't have it, either by pure ignorance or sadistic dereliction.

So, walmart is fine for the experienced to DIY shop... but never stake anything on anyone there to ever be of help other than to unlock the cabinet. If you want good deals on ammo with people that know what they're talking about go find something like a Sportsmans Warehouse or other big chain like that. My experience there is that the people there actually like their jobs and want to help customers... and while they may not be experts they will understand the basics just like most of us do.

Edited by Risky

There is one indispensable tool for dealing with the Walmart ammo case.

Bring a laser pointer.

It works on cats, dogs, and people in blue vests too.

IMG_20110518_180545.jpg

remember this stuff is $4.67 a box so it is cheaper then the bulk packs.

Interesting! I'll have to look for those. Does anyone know if the hulls are better than the Federal Bulk Pack hulls?

Once I've decided if my project to convert Fed. Bulk 1 1/8oz #7's and #8's into 1oz slugs works or not, I might try these next. Saving $4 per 100 shells will add up.

The only downside is that the Fed Bulk at 1 1/8th oz leaves me with 11 extra slugs per 100 I melt down. These will probably make only 95-99 slugs per 100 shells, because you always lose an ounce or two to fluxing/dross when you're smelting them down and you flux the pot for contaminants.

Edited by AJ Dual

Once I've decided if my project to convert Fed. Bulk 1 1/8oz #7's and #8's into 1oz slugs works or not, I might try these next. Saving $4 per 100 shells will add up.

The only downside is that the Fed Bulk at 1 1/8th oz leaves me with 11 extra slugs per 100 I melt down. These will probably make only 95-99 slugs per 100 shells, because you always lose an ounce or two to fluxing/dross when you're smelting them down and you flux the pot for contaminants.

I've been wanting to try that same thing, myself. MidwayUSA sells an 18 cavity 00 buckshot mold, too... been thinking about making some 1 oz slugs and some low recoil buck. Let me know how that works and pass on any tips you figure out. I've still yet to buy a shotshell press.

Maybe he's in the process, I mean, we aren't all rich. He's probably too busy taking care of his family to worry about sending his gun to a smith to get some reliability mods done instead of just shooting the correct ammo through it...

In my mind, a few tools, lots of time researching (and staring at parts, lol), and working on the weapon myself vs. buy expensive ammo for the duration of my Saiga 12 ownership was a no-brainer. Moneywise, how many rounds of mid-grade "high brass" does it take to equal a "professional" conversion with reliability service. That is a good question to consider as well though I would never go that route just because I'm a tight ass. The piece of mind of knowing the weapon will fire anything is priceless whether you sent it out or DIY. I never considered myself a "pilot", but I do consider my self very stubborn and determined. If you want to, and can afford it, then fire high brass and don't worry about the affordable range blasting ammo ;) The price of the good stuff makes me cringe. For me, I found the Defense loads I wanted to run, ran enough of them to figure out what setting to use, and the remaining rounds will never be fired unless I am in fear for my life. The rest of the time.... I'm firing whatever is cheapest at Walmart.

ETA: It may look like some are rich, but I think that most times, you are seeing individuals that focus their finances solely on one hobby/interest. I do not go to bars, stopped smoking, rarely buy anything non-work or gun related, rarely go on vacation, and I have an old Cadillac under the carport that still needs an LS6 swap :ph34r:

Edited by evlblkwpnz

In my mind, a few tools, lots of time researching (and staring at parts, lol), and working on the weapon myself vs. buy expensive ammo for the duration of my Saiga 12 ownership was a no-brainer. Moneywise, how many rounds of mid-grade "high brass" does it take to equal a "professional" conversion with reliability service. That is a good question to consider as well though I would never go that route just because I'm a tight ass. The piece of mind of knowing the weapon will fire anything is priceless whether you sent it out or DIY. I never considered myself a "pilot", but I do consider my self very stubborn and determined. If you want to, and can afford it, then fire high brass and don't worry about the affordable range blasting ammo ;) The price of the good stuff makes me cringe. For me, I found the Defense loads I wanted to run, ran enough of them to figure out what setting to use, and the remaining rounds will never be fired unless I am in fear for my life. The rest of the time.... I'm firing whatever is cheapest at Walmart.

ETA: It may look like some are rich, but I think that most times, you are seeing individuals that focus their finances solely on one hobby/interest. I do not go to bars, stopped smoking, rarely buy anything non-work or gun related, rarely go on vacation, and I have an old Cadillac under the carport that still needs an LS6 swap :ph34r:

My point is that everyone's situation is different. Some of us don't focus solely on our S-12. Personally, I have no problems with mine, I just hate it when someone gives advice to "have something worked on" when they don't know that person's situation. Not to mention, he didn't come here asking questions about how to make his gun run Win Uni, he's happy with the way his gun functions so why fuck with him? It's like the security guard at a friend's apartment complex that told me that I needed to get my classic car painted, well, asshole, I'm focusing all of my attention on engine, transmission, chassis, and suspension. When all of that is satisfactory and it's a reliable car, I'll worry about making it "look pretty" until then just shut the hell up and open the fucking gate...

My comment about pilots was referring to an old co-worker who would say that when he heard others envying someone else. I guess he thought that pilots have it all.

The point is, when someone asks for help give it to them if you wish. If someone says their gun doesn't run a certain brand of ammo, that's not the time to stand up and rub it in their face that yours does.

• 2 months later...

When my wife goes to Wallmart I go downstairs and rip the top off of the ammo boxes that I want her to get. Then all she has to do is match the boxes, it's a fun game for her to play. :)

Another thing you can do is take her phone and snap a pic of the box you want.

WTF is it with all you people that just live to send your guns out to someone to spend money on?

Deal with the fact your gun was never designed to use low brass, and pay for what works, or quit bitching.

I have an 1187 and it won't work with cheap ammo, because it WAS NOT DESIGNED TO BE A CONVENIENT TOY, its a weapon, designed to kill things, thats why police use them.

Same thing with the Saiga, find some beater that will shoot your shit ammo, and deal with it.

Christ, the people give you your ammo for free, and, you have the mistake stuff as well?

Why not ask them to fix your shotgun as well? How about just buy you a new one while they are at it.

Whats wrong with our society is people, who count on others to do things, and then BITCH when they didn't have the PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY TO DO IT THEMSELVES!

• Like 1

WTF is it with all you people that just live to send your guns out to someone to spend money on?

Deal with the fact your gun was never designed to use low brass, and pay for what works, or quit bitching.

I have an 1187 and it won't work with cheap ammo, because it WAS NOT DESIGNED TO BE A CONVENIENT TOY, its a weapon, designed to kill things, thats why police use them.

Same thing with the Saiga, find some beater that will shoot your shit ammo, and deal with it.

Christ, the people give you your ammo for free, and, you have the mistake stuff as well?

Why not ask them to fix your shotgun as well? How about just buy you a new one while they are at it.

Whats wrong with our society is people, who count on others to do things, and then BITCH when they didn't have the PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY TO DO IT THEMSELVES!

maybe, just maybe, people want to shoot CHEAP ammo because the correct stuff is EXPENSIVE. I enjoy shooting my saiga, I want to shoot it a lot, and there's no way in hell I could afford to do so if it couldnt cycle affordable ammo. So its cheaper to modify the gun, than it is to shoot expensive ammo. Its pretty simple.

Edited by yooper14.5
  • Like 1

Sometimes this place and a few of the posters really crack me up.

Let's see, we'll spend $600+ on a shotgun, $100 on each drum mag, $200-$300 on someone converting it, $400 on cool accessories and then bitch all day because we refuse to spend an extra $0.15 per round on ammo?

Can't wait to see what some of you shoot in your tactical .308's....probably that mid-60's ammo from India.

As for Wal-Mart, I only go there when I'm in a masochistic mood.

Edited by JunyardDog
  • Like 1

JD, well said, I thought the same thing as well, but didn't put it into words, as someone else said, the misfires with junk ammo at least give you a training in FTE procedures, so there is some benefit, though dubious.

I look at each weapon I own as a tool, you wanna cut metal, don't use a wood blade, thats cheaper, and each tool has a usable life, why waste the usable life of a weapon doing with it, what it was not designed for, and then bitching when its worn out a failing come time to need it.

Better fewer training rounds that emulate real life, than more that don't, Paintball is for that, or airsoft, and way cheaper than live ammo.

a 60 dollar NEF 12 ga, with cheap ammo goes bang just as nice as a Saiga, And you don;t live in fear of things like an overgassed system beating the shit out of your gun.

Hell, just this morning, went to walmart to buy some federal 7 1/2 shot ammo for the range, and bought the 20 gauge stuff by mistake...took it right back and the manager would not accept it for refund or exchange. So, now I don't get to go shoot and out 50.00... :cryss: If anyone lives in vegas and has a 20 gauge, i'll sell it cheap...LOL...

Those brain dead morons in the auto department took over 45 minutes to change a battery for me last week. I was so pissed. I would have done it my self but I was in a hurry. I FUCKING HATE that place. Good luck trying to get any ammo besides the bulk packs, because here, you have to grab someone by the ear and drag them to the display case to make them open it for you. Talking to a manager to get any help is a complete waste of time. The only postive is that it has inspired me to start reloading.

Edited by DOMIDARKO

i've yet to find a walmart where they have someone that knows anything about ammo. i was in PA a few weeks ago and asked the dude if they had any JHP's in .380 and he looked at me like i was crazy and then said. "NO! hollow points are illegal." so i was like "OH REALLY?" then i kicked him in his stupid fucking face (BAM!) and jumped the counter and grabbed everything they had, then i ran over to the bikes and grabbed a cheap ass chinese mountain bike and headed for the front door. on the way out the old lady by the door had the nerve to ask me for a receipt! i was really hauling ass at this point and obliviously didn't have one so i bunny hopped her old ass and made a clean get away.

needless to say i won't be giving that store anymore of my business :)