Here in Michigan, it has to be a "Michigan Pistol" under 26" OAL and you must have a CCW.

Isn't it if it's under 30" OAL, then it's a "Michigan pistol?. Under 26" would make it an NFA weapon, unless it's an actual pistol like a Glock or whatever.

My "truck gun" changes. There's always a backup Glock 23 in there, as both my fiance and I are licensed to carry. Might be adding either a Draco or shotgun with folding stock. Waiting to hear back from ATF on mounting an AFG on the Draco.

Marlin Guide Gun 45-70-will stop anything living on the North American continent!!!

I've wanted one of these "fo' evah"! There's just something about the 45-70. Hard to find around here for some reason. You can get all the regular 45-70's but not the guide gun.

Then I needed the MBR more, so...

NIce choice thouigh, very nice.

Here in Michigan, it has to be a "Michigan Pistol" under 26" OAL and you must have a CCW.

Isn't it if it's under 30" OAL, then it's a "Michigan pistol?. Under 26" would make it an NFA weapon, unless it's an actual pistol like a Glock or whatever.

My "truck gun" changes. There's always a backup Glock 23 in there, as both my fiance and I are licensed to carry. Might be adding either a Draco or shotgun with folding stock. Waiting to hear back from ATF on mounting an AFG on the Draco.

Right you are. I got mixed up on that one... Under 30" is a pistol even with a full legnth (18 for shotgun and 16 for carbine) barrel or folding stock. It must be a Mi. Pistol UNDER 30". The pistol gripped Mossy 12's and the like actually get pistol permits here, and are legal to carry concealed/in a truck/car. Confused yet?

That 30" OAL rule for shotguns has some implications for S12s with folding stocks...They aren't pistols. It was why I added my pignose adapter where I did on mine. I had to add 1/2" or so to my folded length to stay over that 30" barrier. Maybe I'm a bit paranoid about being legal, but better safe than sorry.

Honestly, the rules are so convoluted, I just want to give a heads up to anyone I can to double check before they run afoul the quagmire like I did.

Edited by Heath_h49008

Corbin beat me to it Heath! Our state has it a lot better in that respect (options wise and having a loaded vs. non-loaded weapon). I ran the bolt gun for awhile since there were no mags or anything to keep track of. It was a decent little setup, just a cheap Remington 700 SPS (20" barrel) trigger locked in a bag. I would keep the stock pack locked in the center console with my ammo, when I needed it I'd grab the rifle throw on the stock pack (BALS-MK2) and be all set. I did the shotgun thing (mossy 500 with folder) for about a week until I went to my truck to shoot a yote (it was at about 300) and realized I had a short range weapon. That quickly got canned. Then I went to the AR pistol and rolled with this for a good long time until I purchased the Kel-Tec RFB. That's what rolls with me now.

It's a TRUNK gun.. meaning you need to get in your trunk to get to it. not gonna add any more crucial response time by slammin' a stripper clip in it and lettin' the bolt fly home..

Always got my sidearm if intimidate response is necessary.. I just feel awkward walking around with a side folder AK in a tennis racket bag.. Not to mention, someone might think I'm some asshole that plays tennis!

Lets face it, though. Not a one of us here has been in a situation where they needed to get to their trunk gun "faster" than they already can..

I DO remember one time up north where the raccoon got back into the cornfield before I could whip it out..

Guys, be careful of the rifles. The good side is, you can legally have them unloaded and in the trunk if you are going to-or-from, work, home, hunting, or range... and the cops would have to prove you were not to successfully prosecute you. But, if you did something like say publicly "I carry a rifle in my car..." you open yourself up for a weapons charge, even if you have a CCW. Having the CCW doesn't grant you any extra privileges with your rifles. I have been through this because of a car accident, so I know what I'm talking about. (Unless there have been MAJOR changes to the law since 2007-08)They also tried to say my cases were not locked, and THAT was a violation, even though they were in a locked trunk. I'll look up the laws this afternoon and post them. They also made a comment about a "target shooting permit" which isn't issued, but is still referenced in the statute, as being the only valid way I could EVER transport my rifles.

This was Battle Creek, Michigan. I lived it.

Honestly, I have been in need of a quick way to put down deer I have hit and that were suffering, yet moving... The law is silly for Michigan where 75% of us will probably be in that situation.

So, if you do a trunk gun here, you really need to never say so. You have it on the way from work, or the range. You didn't just forget it was there, and it isn't your "Trunk gun". Again, ccw pistols being the exception.

Juggs is a huge dude, it'd be frickin hilarious to see you walking around with a tennis bag bro! People would take one look and say "there's no way in hell that guy plays tennis!".

I carry the pistol purchase permit for the RFB in case of a situation like yours Heath, that's spooky stuff man.

Like Juggs says, I can't name one active situation where you'd have time to go back to your trunk to get your rifle. Although as of late it's been coyote hunting heaven, I can't even really call it hunting. I pull into my folks drive way and the bastards are on the ridge almost every time. I have two dens near the house and they are very active, I just need permission from the land owners so I can "take care of the problem". I can however see my truck breaking down in the wrong place (logging road up north......yeah,that was fun :unsure: ) and wanting a rifle.

I've been breaking down the AR pistol and RFB and putting them in SO Tech extended go bags so I doubt the police would give me to much trouble for having the gun in pieces.

The "Lawful purpose" in the last statute is listed for pistols, but identical for rifles...

3. Do rifles or shotguns with collapsible/folding stocks have to be registered in Michigan?

MCL 750.222 Yes, provided the rifle or shotgun is 30 inches or less in overall length with the stock collapsed/folded but at least 26 inches and the barrel length is at least 16 inches and 18 inches respectively. Attorney General's opinion #6280: if the firearm is less than 26 inches in overall length or the barrel is less than 16 or 18 inches respectively, the firearm is considered a short-barreled rifle or shotgun and is illegal to possess. MCL 750.224d There is an exception for short-barreled shotguns and short-barreled rifles which the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms has found to be a curio, relic, antique, museum piece, or collector's item not likely to be used as a weapon.

The possessor must comply with Section 2 (License to Purchase) of Act 372.

======================================

750.227d Transporting or possessing firearm in or upon motor vehicle or self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel; conditions; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.

Sec. 227d.

(1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle or any self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel a firearm, other than a pistol, unless the firearm is unloaded and is 1 or more of the following:

(a) Taken down.

(B) Enclosed in a case.

© Carried in the trunk of the vehicle.

(d) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.

(2) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.

History: Add. 1981, Act 103, Eff. Mar. 31, 1982

© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan

========================================

750.231a Exceptions to MCL 750.227(2); definitions.

Sec. 231a.

(1) Subsection (2) of section 227 does not apply to any of the following:

(a) To a person holding a valid license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by his or her state of residence except where the pistol is carried in nonconformance with a restriction appearing on the license.

(B) To the regular and ordinary transportation of pistols as merchandise by an authorized agent of a person licensed to manufacture firearms.

© To a person carrying an antique firearm as defined in subsection (2), completely unloaded in a closed case or container designed for the storage of firearms in the trunk of a vehicle.

(d) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in the trunk of the vehicle.

(e) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in a vehicle that does not have a trunk and is not readily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle.

(2) As used in this section:

(a) "Antique firearm" means either of the following:

(i) A firearm not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898, including a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system or replica of such a firearm, whether actually manufactured before or after 1898.

(ii) A firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

(B)"Lawful purpose" includes the following:

(i) While en route to or from a hunting or target shooting area.

(ii) While transporting a pistol en route to or from his or her home or place of business and place of repair.

(iii) While moving goods from 1 place of abode or business to another place of abode or business.

(iv) While transporting a licensed pistol en route to or from a law enforcement agency or for the purpose of having a law enforcement official take possession of the weapon.

(v) While en route to or from his or her abode or place of business and a gun show or places of purchase or sale.

(vi) While en route to or from his or her abode to a public shooting facility or public land where discharge of firearms is permitted by law, rule, regulation, or local ordinance.

(vii) While en route to or from his or her abode to a private property location where the pistol is to be used as is permitted by law, rule, regulation, or local ordinance.

History: Add. 1964, Act 215, Eff. Aug. 28, 1964 ;-- Am. 1973, Act 191, Eff. Mar. 29, 1974 ;-- Am. 1974, Act 55, Imd. Eff. Apr. 1, 1974 ;-- Am. 1978, Act 280, Imd. Eff. July 6, 1978 ;-- Am. 2002, Act 82, Imd. Eff. Mar. 26, 2002 ;-- Am. 2008, Act 196, Eff. Jan. 7, 2009

Edited by Heath_h49008

Although as of late it's been coyote hunting heaven,

Freaked me out the other night.. We had 2 in our yard and it's the first time I ever seen them stand their ground and not flee... Odd, as it is still summer and there is plenty of food to be had.. (Sorry to go off topic)

Freaked me out the other night.. We had 2 in our yard and it's the first time I ever seen them stand their ground and not flee... Odd, as it is still summer and there is plenty of food to be had.. (Sorry to go off topic)

That's no joke bro. My mom told me a month back or so that she has to put her bulldog on a leash while she lets him out past 10pm. I didn't believe it till I saw it with my own eyes. Her dog, my pup and myself were actually being circled on and we were less then 100 yards from the house. These past couple nights have been prime time with the moon up. Hoping to get a few more in the next couple nights.

If they screw up my deer season.......GRRRRRRRR! I'm going on a yote rampage.

That's no joke bro. My mom told me a month back or so that she has to put her bulldog on a leash while she lets him out past 10pm. I didn't believe it till I saw it with my own eyes. Her dog, my pup and myself were actually being circled on and we were less then 100 yards from the house. These past couple nights have been prime time with the moon up. Hoping to get a few more in the next couple nights.

If they screw up my deer season.......GRRRRRRRR! I'm going on a yote rampage.

Wow. Sounds like you need a Foxpro and something belt fed.

I carry a .357 so a matching levergun goes in the trunk with about 100 rds of everthing from bunny fart loads to deer getters and rat shot. Mostly centered around 158 gr bullets so POA is close for all loads.

The Carson City shooting was really close to home (I grew up there) and has got me thinking. Sencion carried his AK openly over 80 feet to the front door of the IHOP and after shooting the patrons (including the National Guard members), he went outside and shot a guy getting on or off his motorcycle. The ordeal took 5 minutes before he finally put one into his own head (the only speck of justice is this wound didn't kill him immediately).

The owner of the BBQ place across the parking lot had a CCW pistol, but didn't go outside to engage because he heard automatic gunfire and saw that he had a rifle. The distance is well over 80 yards and I don't blame him for not leaving the cover of his restaurant when Sencion fired at several of the surrounding buildings while outside.

I personally carry a Glock 33 (in 40S&W) everywhere I go, but if I was in the restaurant across the parking lot, a rifle in my truck could have potentially saved lives. I am a good shot, but when some madman does something like what Sencion did, I would not feel comfortable engaging unless I was within 50 feet.

I do see the need for a long gun capability in a truck and there would have been time to get to it in this particular scenario.

• Like 1

The Carson City shooting was really close to home (I grew up there) and has got me thinking. Sencion carried his AK openly over 80 feet to the front door of the IHOP and after shooting the patrons (including the National Guard members), he went outside and shot a guy getting on or off his motorcycle. The ordeal took 5 minutes before he finally put one into his own head (the only speck of justice is this wound didn't kill him immediately).

The owner of the BBQ place across the parking lot had a CCW pistol, but didn't go outside to engage because he heard automatic gunfire and saw that he had a rifle. The distance is well over 80 yards and I don't blame him for not leaving the cover of his restaurant when Sencion fired at several of the surrounding buildings while outside.

I personally carry a Glock 33 (in 40S&W) everywhere I go, but if I was in the restaurant across the parking lot, a rifle in my truck could have potentially saved lives. I am a good shot, but when some madman does something like what Sencion did, I would not feel comfortable engaging unless I was within 50 feet.

I do see the need for a long gun capability in a truck and there would have been time to get to it in this particular scenario.

The Texas A&M shooter in the 1960's... the one in the tower... he was kept pinned down by civilians with rifles in a similar manner. A valid concern, with historical backing. +1

i know that in tennessee i can legally carry ammunition in the magazine of a rifle or shotgun so long as one has a handgun carry permit. otherwise they have to be stored seperatley. as for using them, thats the only time when ammunition can legaly be inserted into the chamber for self defense or defense of a third party.

i agree. and some most likely would still be here today.

The legalities of "trunk guns" vary from state to state. In some states, they have no problem with a loaded rifle or shotty in a vehicle as they are of no use unloaded.

Thank the lord thats how it is here, The rifle has to be either clearly visible(not concealed) or not easily reachable if concealed(trunk or behind the seat of pickup). This is an open carry state. The only thing we have to worry about is making sure it isnt concealed, I believe if you have a CCW they can be. Not sure though b/c I havent bothered with a CCW since I O.C. Dont have a truck gun yet but I plan on making it a Draco.

Get a CCW and get a draco/ar15 pistol problem solved imho, besides Dracos are the perfect size for a vehicle carbine, and still give you a shit ton of firepower.

Edited by Joebanks

I carry a G22 when ever I can. I'm working on an AR pistol to keep handy.

I found tools are invaluable to keep in your vehicle. Some wrenches, jacks, chains, an ax, an aid bag along with a days worth of food/ water are sitting in the tool box of my truck and get used all the time. Can't forget duck tape!! I've taped more then one radiator hose back together. Break downs are more common then just about anything else out there.

The Texas A&M shooter in the 1960's... the one in the tower... he was kept pinned down by civilians with rifles in a similar manner. A valid concern, with historical backing.

not at A&M, was at univ. of texas at austin

No wonder I couldn't find the exact data! Sorry, I was going from memory on the subject.