Which of the lower end (price range) AR 15 rifles are the best bang for the buck, without sacrificing too much in the quality control area?

A few that come to mind right away are Delton, Olympic Arms, DPMS.....what do you AR guys think? I've got a couple of Busmasters I'm building, and one S&W M&P 5.45, but my knowledge is currently pretty limited in the AR department.

Trying to set my gal's son up with his first semi auto rifle so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

BTW he's currently got a Winchester Mdl 70 300 Win Mag (short mag) he wants to trade in on this AR, so trying to determine how much that will go toward a decent AR.

• Like 1

My wife loves her S&W M&P15X it is a great gun but at $1000 not cheap I have five others I have built a CMMG .308 and four Spike's Tactical 5.56's, You can buy a Spike's M4 for around $850 or you could build it yourself alot cheaper and the other cheap one are usually missing front sights and are a slickside upper. You can get a ST stripped lower for $80 or a jolly roger, zombie or punisher one for $90 complete lower is $250 and a upper is $400 to $500 check out Aims surplus for some good deals. ST also offer laser engraving and they have there own forum and great customer service. When I built my long range gun I used a ST upper and lower with a noveske 18" barrel and it is a tack driver the fit of the upper and lower is as nice as my dad's colt SP1 and there finish is also very nice. Spikestactical.com

post-21226-0-36466900-1323457575.jpg

post-21226-0-02513500-1323457836.jpg

ST-15 M$ LE carbine $850

Features

• Spike's Tactical 16", 1:7 Twist, Mil-spec Barrel
  • M4 Barrel Profile, Carbine Length Gas System
  • F-marked A2 Front Sight Base, .750" Diameter Gas Seat
  • Spike's Tactical Mil-spec M16 Bolt Carrier Group
  • M4 Double Heat Shield Handguards
  • A2 Flash Hider
  • Mil-spec Lower Parts
  • ST-T2 Tungsten Buffer
  • ST M4 Stock

Included

• Magpul MBUS Rear Sight
  • Magpul 30rd P-Mag
  • Hard Plastic Carry Case
  • Spike's Tactical Lifetime Warranty

Edited by SCHULTZE

Remember the scene in “the good, the bad, and the ugly” where the guy is in the gun shop taking parts off 3 pistols to make one, that’s what most people do building ARs. Not that it’s a bad thing but it’s not a quote un-quote brand name gun per say when done. Most of the parts (uppers and lowers) are really only being made by a few manufactures with the same process and then marked to meet the buyer’s trademark. While for the most part they’re all the same it’s just a matter of a few choices on each item that makes or breaks a gun. The term Mil-Spec to some degree means all things are more or less equal, but don’t forget it’s a minimum requirement not a quality statement.

Now with all that being said I’d more than likely go with a DPMS.

I have 2 ARs now and like the build quality of the Bushmaster over the Olympic Arms one, but I got one new and the other used.

Hmmm sounds like my local dealer is right on the money then. He told me he'd put him in a flat top DPMS M-4 style for $600 OTD. Brand new gun, all matching parts from same MFG and a warranty, sounds good. Yeah this is his first rifle really, he only had the Win Mag long enough to put a box of ammo through it and find out how expensive it is to shoot. Also around here there's really not a lot of space to shoot, so a gun that will hit way out there isn't as much use as it could be in say MT or somewhere... My dealer said with deer season almost over here, he may have a little trouble trading it in for enough to make it worthwhile. It's a GREAT rifle, I shot it, and very accurate...just not really what he needs. He's about to be trying to get into the service and hopefully take sniper school, so it would be good to go ahead and learn his way around an M-4. If he wants to upgrade later to a bull barrel he can do that. For now a good flat top I can help him mount a scope on and sight it in, would be ideal.

Yeah I love my S&W too, chrome lined, quality rifle and fun to shoot. The 5.45 is cheaper to buy and just as damaging to soft targets as the 5.56, if not more so. My two Bushy lowers are going to be fun some day when I can afford uppers for them. Got them a few yrs ago and they are consecutive ser #'s so I thought that would be cool. Want to prolly build one for .556 and maybe get lucky on a .50 BMG upper for the other..... greedy.gif ....one can dream....lol.

If the purpose of the gun is a general use AR I would look at Palmetto State Armory gun. They can be had for $600 and are built to spec. Reviews on them have been very positive. I would much rather have a PSA than an oly, del ton, or DPMS. Truth told I would take one over a S&W or a bushmaster as well. At that price range I think one would be real hard pressed to do better than PSA.

Olympic is garbage, and their customer service is even worse. I've never owned any complete DPMS rifles, but I've been less than impressed with their parts. Bushmaster, RRA, etc. are ok, but there are better quality ARs out there for less. Take a look at PSA as mentioned above.

Edited by JoshAston

There is a chart maintained that lists a lot of the manufactures. It used to be better, but he got tired of the flack from some manufacturers.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AqmgMm61Ok7WdExwaG16OENzOEZ1akp2a3Y2NjMxTEE&single=true&gid=2&output=html

You might notice that most of the "economical" gun makers won't respond. They are also the ones who whined about his original version.

• Like 1
Brand new and made in the great state of North Carolina in the city of Elizabethtown. Check out Delton Firearms...they make great weapons!

16" ranges from $750-830

Do you really think a $830 delton would be a good value when you can buy a Colt for a bit over $900?

Can you honestly say that a $750 delton is a better buy than a $600 PSA? If so please explain. I simply cannot see that or come up with a plausible argument for it even. Not a knock on del ton per se by the way.

• 2 weeks later...

New Stags are around $700 here, depending on model. If you have a shop in your area that deals with police trade ins check out the used Colts. I just put one on layaway for $680. My is the 6721 which has a heavy barrier 1/9 twist, barrel does not have a grenade launcher cut out, removable carry handle with sights. Depending on the LEO department there are also the 6920 m4 versions out there. Those I believe have the 1/7 twist, if that matters to you.

If you have a shop in your area that deals with police trade ins check out the used Colts. I just put one on layaway for $680.

I find it insane that a PD is doing trade-ins on ARs, much less Colts. Most PDs shoot less than 100 rounds a year. At that rate the barrel is good for a century or two. Yeah, I'd buy one or two at that price unless they had shot the rifling out.

Thats why I love this one shop so much. They are the only ones in the area that deal in large numbers of PD trade ins from all over the country. I think my G19 came from Maimi, my S&W 5946 from Cleveland OH and the Colt is PA state police. I used to have a Para Ord LDA 14.45 1911 that was from some Wash state police dpt. The Colt has "SERT 2" scratched onto the botom of the trigger guard so Im assuming it had more then a 100 rounds fired through it however this shop doesnt clean them they just put them out for sale. Once I clean it up we'll see how "new" it is. But even from the basic inspection it seems to have more wear on the outside, scratches, rub marks, from handeling then from shooting. There were "cleaner" looking ones but by the time I talked myself into buying it this was the last one on the shelf! It was a mix of Colt 6920's and 6721's Oh well, they said there will be another large batch comming in sometime before July.

I'm now debating on a S&W 1006 from some PD, a S&W 4513 from Cali, or a Mini 14 from Cali prison, i think. But since I picked up the Colt I have no real use for the mini.

I have two ARs, one a complete rifle I bought at a local show and another one I built. The complete rifle is a Double Star STAR-15 Carbine length 16 incher. It runs very well. Steel cased ammo loads quite well. However for some reason, it seems to hate everybody that tries to shoot it but me. I'll run flawless and hand it to a guy and it'll jam. I dunno what the deal is. It's DI

Now the built one is on a CMMG, it does not like Pmags but thankfully it really likes metal mags so it did not hinder me at all with my project as I built it with a parts kit from Double Star. The upper, it may not really be economical but it was for me, it's a Black Rifle Arms piston 7.62x39 upper. They test all uppers before they ship them. They even test them with Wolf ammo and it's also handload and US commercial ammo friendly. The mags they recommend are the mags they did prototype testing with, the ASC 7.62x39 mags.

I also put a magpul aluminum enhanced trigger guard on mine as well as an MOE pistol grip, so it's a lil tricked out. Just also added a Yankee Hill flip up front sight to my gas block.

May not be in the price range but performance wise I can say Black Rifle Arms is one of the more affordable piston uppers and I like that they use a respectable amount of melonited or stainless steel parts.

I also wanted to share that the Double Star stuff seems to be some good stuff too. Seems like people are willing to list the big boys but leave out Double Star and others like them. There are just a lot of great AR companies out there.

• 2 weeks later...

New Colt 6920 can be had for 950-1000 at this price for this rifle there is no reason to buy anything else. 6-700$ for piece of shit dpms/bushy/oly/dblstar whatever... or 300$ more for the gold standard, seems like a no brainer to me. DD, BCM, Noveske are good but usually pricey. Seriously under 1k for a NEW Colt 6920 is a good deal.

You can get a delton kit for 465 add a lower and shipping and you be less than 600 into it and I love my mid delton. And they mpi the bolts. And they offer a lightweight barrel. That's what I suggest. My first ar was a colt HBAR and I ended up hating it. I was young. Sold it, to heavy, I'll never get rid of my delton mid lightweight chromed Barrel ar. Also it's not cheap but the vltor emod stock is awesome.

Edited by Ak Monty

Deltons are cheaper than dpms, haha. I'm not downing dpms, I've just never had one. My delton kit had mpi bolt and barrel I paid 515 shipped for my kit and 100 for the lower. I got a lightweight midlength chrome lined. (custom) so it took about 3-4 weeks to get it. They had to wait on a lot of barrels from the chromers then build mine.

It is an ar15 so I added some things. Emod stock, tango down battle grip, magpul sling thing back plate, magpul enhanced trigger guard and MBUIS rear, and a single point sling from specops, all and all I've got 950 in it.

Now I need to finish it. Plan is Troy trx extream 13" over either a lowpro gas block or cut my a2 front sight post down. MBUIS front, with trijicon front post, if that will work. And some kind of optic.

Also my delton ran 500 rounds with a few problems only with steel then I cleaned it. ( during those 500 I kept it clean and lubed) after those 500 I very lightly lubed it now I've got just over 200 through it without one problem and 90 of those 200 were steel, now after I load a mag of steel I give it one quick shot of silicon spray in the front of the loaded mag and I've even left those loaded for a while and haven't had one problem.

But now I've got set up for reloading so I'll only buy brass, unless I could find some boxer primed steel?

Edited by Ak Monty
  • 5 weeks later...

I have a place that builds the uppers using DD, BCM, Ranier, & Spikes barrels.

There in PA but apparantly moving to TX later this fall. wink.png

Prices are pretty good for the low-profile ones and then you just find a handguard on there site that floats your boat and toss it in the cart.. I think the owner mentioned he only makes about $40 on the build..

http://www.RioGrandeArms.com

You can also send him the box of parts for an AR upper and for $45 he'll assemble it for you.

Edited by YWHIC