Tromix "Mini-Monster" Brake

I was just looking up compensator options and ran across this on CSS. Has anyone tried it yet? I tried googling/ youtubing it and came up short on reviews...According to CSS it is 3 1/4" (compared to the full sized version which is 5.8") and $99.

What I want to know is how it compares to the JTE Competition Brake and full sized Monster.

http://store.carolin...ni-Brake/Detail

minimonster.jpg

Edited by King Cash
  • Like 2
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looks good. The full length one is a tad extreme for my tastes. I like the looks of this shortened version.

I was just looking up compensator options and ran across this on CSS. Has anyone tried it yet? I tried googling/ youtubing it and came up short on reviews...According to CSS it is 3 1/4" (compared to

We should have them back in stock in 3-4 weeks. If you email sales@carolinashooterssupply.com I will notify you as soon as they come in.

Posted Images

I like! Leme see how much it is

$99

Looks good. The full length one is a tad extreme for my tastes. I like the looks of this shortened version.

Yep, I wouldn't feel like I'd need to shorten the barrel with it. Plus its $99 vs $170...but the big question is how it compares to the original 1 as far as function goes. I'm not expecting it to be as effective since its missing 3 ports and 4 gills but i just want an idea (though I know that it'll be quality coming from Tromix).

Not sure what you mean. The original one has the same number of gills and fewer ports.

Also, the monster has increased surface are in the gill slots; you should see an enhanced reduction.

And it's heavier :)

Not sure what you mean. The original one has the same number of gills and fewer ports.

Also, the monster has increased surface are in the gill slots; you should see an enhanced reduction.

And it's heavier :)

This accurate for mini monster vs. monster?

I love the styling of all of the tromix monster/ competition, and I always lamented that the shark was not hex. IMO this is the coolest looking option for people who aren't ready to hack off their barrel and weld. But they cost a ton and look like they weigh one too.

If I were to buy something in this price range for a black S-12 it looks like the most appealing option to date.

So if this is 40% reduction what would you estimate are the relative percentages for:

1) Tromix Monster (original)

2) Tromis Competition (discontinued)

3) Tromix Shark

3) RJF Shark, err *mojo

4) JT competition

5) Molot Gk-01

6) A single mid barrel comp

7) Chaos wave

8) Chaos Warthog

I am sure you have tried just about everything and you sell most of them, so you are in a position to have a more balanced opinion.

Edited by GunFun

How are ya'll measuring the stated percentage of reduced recoil?

Personal perception or are you in some way mechanically measuring it?

I think it's like the Honda guys talking about putting on their K&N air filters and feeling a noticeable difference in power... butt-dynos, they're proven.

• Like 1

I am really interested in this as well, I just traded for a saiga-20, since I feel I will be able to fire follow up shots quicker with a 20 gauge vs a 12 gauge

but with all the cool accessories available for the 12 gauge, I have been looking hard at those too, a 40% reduction in recoil should make it less than a stock 20 gauge right?

I'm a smaller guy (170 pounds)

Yeah, and you get cheaper ammo and better pattern with a light loaded 12g than a 20. I think over gassing a 12 gauge and running only super light ammo would still meet your needs better.

So if this is 40% reduction what would you estimate are the relative percentages for:

1) Tromix Monster (original)

2) Tromis Competition (discontinued)

3) Tromix Shark

3) RJF Shark, err *mojo

4) JT competition

5) Molot Gk-01

6) A single mid barrel comp

7) Chaos wave

8) Chaos Warthog

I am sure you have tried just about everything and you sell most of them, so you are in a position to have a more balanced opinion.

Yea, this is what I want to know

Edited by King Cash
  • Like 1

My friend TTMR and I were breaking-in my new Saiga 12 yesterday. He has a '74 Brake on one of his 12's. We each fired 5 rnds of 00 buckshot with, then without the brake on our guns, and the brake DID give a "noticeable" reduction in recoil. I couldn't really quantify the difference, but there was an improvement in felt recoil with the brake on it.

I am also very interested in seeing some kind of a comparison test with the various "muzzle attachments! 032.gif

I'm considering one of the PolyChokes, or the Mini-Monster for my build... Need to sell some other shotty's first for some cash, though.

• Like 1

If you aren't still confident to put numbers how about filling in an arrangement like this:

More reduction: Competition>Monster>Shark> MInnster :Less reduction.

It's not a question of "confidence"; we don't make promises or claims about the brakes because there is no real way to quantify their performance.

And trust me, many have tried.

But based on my experience and the feedback we've had from thousands of customers I would say "Monster>Competition>Shark". This also bears out in engineering terms of weight and vent surface.

The "Comp" model is the mini-version of the Monster. In fact, after the Comp model was designed and tested, Tony just made a monster just for fun out of the remaining steel stock. He posted pics of it and there was a ton of interest, so it became a product.

Thank's Mr. Ash. I certainly did not mean that in a challenging tone. I was trying to acknowledge just the issues you mentioned and show that I wasn't asking for a hard number so much as an opinion. Obviously you represent one brand which restricts you from comparing against competitors without making a mess.

I figured people who own shops like MAA and CSS would be in a very good position to have personal experience with many of the major choices, and so their opinions would carry weight.

Obviously you have lots of experience and the insider knowledge that has another high type of value. You gave me part of exactly what I want to know. *Edited after re-read.*

Edited by GunFun

I've been looking in to the Monster Brake + Shorten the barrel to equal 18+ inches. One of my major concern is, flash. If a boogie man comes in my house during the night, I would like to utilize the S12 and take care of the situation. Do you think it would be too blinding for night tactical use???

Edited by A_lien007

i have a monster brake and i love it. the gun has an overall length of 18 1/4". i also have a 24" saiga 12 with a poly choke and i can tell a huge difference in recoil from one to the other.

in response to this:

I am really interested in this as well, I just traded for a saiga-20, since I feel I will be able to fire follow up shots quicker with a 20 gauge vs a 12 gauge

i load my own slugs at about 1250 fps and i can rapid fire the shot gun with out correcting for the next shot and still get all ten on a 3' x 3' piece of card board at 20 yards.... and i only weigh 135lbs. i believe the weight of the break coupled with the blow back from the slots really make a difference.

One of my major concern is, flash.

well i haven't done any night shooting but in the day it does throw a pretty good fire ball. But not as much as my mini draco pistol. it also blows a lot of air back on you like a hair dryer. but i have never felt it was dangerous. i don't have any expirence with any of the other brakes mentioned so sorry about that. here is a pic of the gun just to give you an idea of what i am working with.

20120202022557.jpg

Edited by rogers
  • Like 1

I've been looking in to the Monster Brake + Shorten the barrel to equal 18+ inches. Do you think it would be too blinding for night tactical use???

"Night Tactical Use" -- probably not. The first shot will destroy your night vision guaranteed so that your efforts in pursueing and destroying subsequent invaders will be thwarted.

But

For home defense usage you should be fine. Don't think you will be emptying a 20 round drum in a slow deliberate manner in any home defense search and destroy/ room clearing mission. I would think that most sits would require a single well placed shot. After said shot you should be able to turn on a light and continue with normal life.

"Night Tactical Use" = love it.

Thank's Mr. Ash. I certainly did not mean that in a challenging tone. I was trying to acknowledge just the issues you mentioned and show that I wasn't asking for a hard number so much as an opinion. Obviously you represent one brand which restricts you from comparing against competitors without making a mess.

No offense taken.

I've never used any of the "competitors" brakes, but lets face it: they are all pretty much knockoff versions of ours in one way or another.

I'm not trying to say that Tromix invented the muzzle brake or door breacher. But before the Shark Brake you probably never saw a shotgun with either one, much less both. Now it's rare to see a gun without one.

And I get that some guys want to pick a different model just to be unique, but within those 3 models lies the entire functional range of effectiveness for a muzzle device; any other choice is just cosmetic and often less effective.

I've been looking in to the Monster Brake + Shorten the barrel to equal 18+ inches. One of my major concern is, flash. If a boogie man comes in my house during the night, I would like to utilize the S12 and take care of the situation. Do you think it would be too blinding for night tactical use???

A proper flash suppressor is best since it doesn't direct to the rear, but I do believe that any vented device is going to be superior to a bare muzzle when it comes to flash.

The first shot will destroy your night vision guaranteed...

I've used my 8" SBS quite a bit at night; out on the ranch shooting varmints. I use our flash hider of course and I can tell you it's quite effective.

DSCF0003.jpg

- Rogers, That's basically how I want to set mine up including the MOE butt stock. Good Taste!

- Odd Man Out, Losing vision is a bad thing as I want to confirm a hit.

-BobAsh, I agree, a proper flash suppressor will be effective during the night, but my priority is follow up shots by reducing muzzle climb and secondary is flash suppression. If you get a chance, could you test out your Monster Break at night and let me know how bad the flash is? Or you can youtube it like this one: