I've been shopping around for several years, attempted to buy a couple of houses, and finally had one go through. I've got a big ass basement garage with enough room for 3 cars and plenty of gun tinkering. I'm pretty excited, going to be getting away from some of the nonsense in the city, hopefully be able to start saving some money. I'll get some pictures shortly.

• Like 9

I've been shopping around for several years, attempted to buy a couple of houses, and finally had one go through. I've got a big ass basement gun vault with enough room for 3,000,000. guns and plenty of gun tinkering. I'm pretty excited, going to be getting away from some of the nonsense in the city, hopefully be able to start saving some money. I'll get some pictures shortly.

SWEET!!!!!! Congrats on the new place.

Edited by AZG

Hell yeah, thanks guys. I feel pretty good about it, its on a dead end street too, with a wooded lot on one side of me. The lady's husband passed back in June, and there's a big ass fireproof gunsafe in the nasement that i'm trying to get her to sell. Her son is coming down from VA to go through the guns, but I didn't volunteer to check them out, didn't want to look like a vulture in front of the newly widowed woman.

The garage only looks like a one car from the front, but it goes back across the entire lenght of the house, about 80% is underground. I've got a riding lawmnmower at my parents', along with my turbo sentra that I'm going to tear apart.

Congrats. Having your own place/castle is a great thing. If I may suggest something that will help to cut down on the interest you will pay; Try to get your bank to bill 1/2 your mortgage payment twice a month. In doing that you can make more of your second payment be applied to the principal. It REALLY helps.

Congrats! Having your own house is a good feeling. Before you know it you'll be remodeling something. Then you'll have to get all kinds of kick ass tools to do the work. In 20 years from a hammer, screw driver set, and basic wrench set to nearly being competative with most professional dry wallers, capenters, plumbers, and electricans. LOL

• Like 1

Oh, plant trees ASAP if you want any. Time FLYS man, I cant believe ive been in my house 2 years and havent planted the trees we wanted when we first moved in. Now im two years behind on growth, they could have been screening neighbors and deadening road noise by now. They also make these foam covers that go behind wall switch plates and plugs, Like $4 for a pack that will do your house. Put them on exterior walls and they will slow cold transitioning into the house through electrical system. Takes 15 min to do the whole house with a power screwdriver.

Usually the bill drops a little after the first year. They highball you on taxes so yer not short your first year. We got back a big check and our monthly dropped about $50.

Edited by mostholycerebus
  • Like 1

Change all the bulbs for CFLs and get some insulation in the attic quick. You missed the last few years tax rebates on insulation, unfortunately. Hopefully the new guy will bring those back.

CFLs COST MORE. Price the lightbulb, plus the energy it uses over it's expected life. Do the same for a CFL. THe CFL is a net loss, plus the light from a CFL is crappy with a bluish tint, and a 60hz flicker, not to mention all the mercury inside. Read up on what to do if you break one in your home, or what happens when the made in china ballast inside overheats and catches fire.

I'm done here.

Information is a powerful tool.

• Like 1

CFLs COST MORE. Price the lightbulb, plus the energy it uses over it's expected life. Do the same for a CFL. THe CFL is a net loss,

Im an economist, I think i know how to run an analysis. Its one of my hobbies. :)

I buy the CFLs with the 7 year warranty, on sale. When they go out, I exchange them while picking up other junk, and they print me a new receipt with a new 7 year warranty. Ill never 'buy' bulbs but once. These are going on 8 years, I took them from my last apartment when we moved to the new house. :P

plus the light from a CFL is crappy with a bluish tint, and a 60hz flicker,

Looks fine to me. Havent noticed blue, but its definitely whiter and brighter than the standard yellow bulbs. The only ones ive seen flicker are the overheads in the garage.

Read up on what to do if you break one in your home, or what happens when the made in china ballast inside overheats and catches fire.

Well, I have family in OSHA, so im quite aware of the actual dangers. Not too worried, but thanks for caring.

Information is a powerful tool.

I concur.

Plug an elevator in that and I'm sold -- interesting that as one gets older the idea of stairs gets less so. Hopefully you got a discount on something for what you must have paid for the vid...

Stairs in a home are actually better for old people. They give you more exercise throughout the day, gets the blood pumping and muscles working, and extends mobility and life.

- Insert condescending "Information is a powerful Tool" tagline here. -

AND KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE!

Edited by mostholycerebus

Congrats on the house, yea pics as soon as you can.

We did the payment early, we did an extra 100 to 300 every month or what we could.

Ours is payed off, 53 and no house payment, life is good!!!