Chile's Braised Squirrel

3-4 Squirrels per person

I use the forelegs, hindquarters, lower back and discard the upper back & ribcage.

One (1) small onion diced

1/2 cup of flour

Spices

One (1) can, Rotel tomatos (optional)

Dredge the squirrel in flour/spices.

I use sea salt and garlic powder.

In a large skillet add just enough oil to brown the pieces.

Use whatever oil/butter you like, I like bacon grease.

Brown the squirrel on both sides with the onions.

Lower the heat, add Rotel & quickly add enough water to just almost cover the pieces.

Bring to a slow simmer and cook covered for 1.5 hours.

You may want to move pieces around to cook evenly.

Devour plain or serve over rice.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 7

Did you bring enough for everyone....?

I am marinating some beaver that I shot last week. (teriaki(

Gonna be grilled tonite and rice will figure prominamtly... (with broccoli and carrots)

Edited by macbeau
  • Like 2
Are they gamey?

macbeau one of the best tasting meats I have had was chicken fried beaver hams. I think beaver wienerschnitzel would be amazing.

Of course they taste like wild game.

But as for gamey, not to me, and not to most people I know that've tried various other wild game.

Very distinct flavor, often nutty if they've been chowing on a lot of acorns.

Sure as hell don't taste like chicken.

Havent had any squirrel since I was a young'n! Cant really remember what it taste like but I do recall thinking it was good. Been considering taking out a few that destroy my corn pile during deer season. Squirrel season is open through next week here.....Might go tag a few befor its over after seeing those pics!!

How do you prepare the meat?? Do you soak it in a brine? I remember mom would soak it a day or two in salt water brine.

Edited by big-J
  • Like 1
I read a story once about a lady in Seattle that fed squirrel to her family on a regular bases. The comments from the Libs, to her choice of food, were hilarious.

I've never had it, but your pics are making me hungry.

Me too on both counts... I'm wondering what squirrel "wings" would be like? Looks like Indiana's squirrel season is almost 6 months long. Time to get a .410.

• Like 1
Havent had any squirrel since I was a young'n! Cant really remember what it taste like but I do recall thinking it was good. Been considering taking out a few that destroy my corn pile during deer season. Squirrel season is open through next week here.....Might go tag a few befor its over after seeing those pics!!

How do you prepare the meat?? Do you soak it in a brine? I remember mom would soak it a day or two in salt water brine.

if you don't head shot, and get them in the body, there can be a lot of bloody meat.

In that case soaking over night in saltwater (brine) does draw blood out.

Blood means more gamey flavor.

Other than that, no, just fresh or fresh frozen, and prepare as above or elsewise.

Chile, thanks for the recipe! Being an old Bama boy myself, I was raised on squirrel and the like. They had a big squirrel rodeo roundup in Lowdnes County the other week and shot a buttload! I will mos def try this out! One of my favorite ways to fix these critters is squirrel and dumplings, MM MM GOOD!!!

• Like 1
Chile, thanks for the recipe! Being an old Bama boy myself, I was raised on squirrel and the like. They had a big squirrel rodeo roundup in Lowdnes County the other week and shot a buttload! I will mos def try this out! One of my favorite ways to fix these critters is squirrel and dumplings, MM MM GOOD!!!

Care to share that dumpling recipe?

• Like 1

Chile, about the time I read your post, the dryer stopped and the timer went off on the oven, have some cornflake coated livers in the oven. OK For squirrel dumplins, I start out with 6-8 squirrels, and pressure cook them for about 15 minutes after they get to 15 ibs of pressure If you don't have a pressure canner/cooker, you can par boil them but this way they fall of the bone. After the pressure is off, get the pieces out of the stock, but keep the stock. Let the meat cool and pick off of the bone.. Then for the good part..Around here, everybody has their own dumplin recipe, but here are two good uns! If you are health concious, you can take 2-2 1/2 cups of self rising flour, and a pint of heavy whipping cream. Mix together slowly, this also makes some of the best biscuits you have ever eaten and they only have about 1/15th of the cholesterol of a regular biscuit. OR just get some Bisquick mix and make up enough for two batches of biscuits. When you have the dough ready, put yur meat back in the pot and bring to a boil, then when boiling, just pinch off pieces of dough ( I do mine the size of a golf ball more or less) and drop them in the boiling broth/meat brew. I like a LOT of dumplins in mine ergo the two biscuit batch. Keep stirring and they will eventually thicken up. If it doesn't thicken, use some cornstarch in hot water disolved and it will thicken up pretty good. This is a meal that is fine when made, but the next day, it will make yu slap your granny!

As for seasoning, I am like you. I use garlic powder, also onion powder and some red pepper, really spices it up.

Let me kn0w how ya like it! :)

I can tell you how to make Heavy Dumplings, Bohemian (Czech) Style.

3 cups non-rising flour

3 Large eggs

1 tsp salt.

You can adjust amounts for more or less. Just keep it one egg for every cup of flour.

Mix ingredients and stir into a large sticky lump. Drop heaping spoonfuls into rapidly boiling water. I use a serving spoon, and you have to push them off with your finger. When they float they're done.

Use the same recipe to make Apple Dumplings. Put a half of a peeled, cored apple (Cortland or a good "Cooking" apple) inside of the dough balls. Serve with melted butter, cinnamon and sugar.

Edited by Yeoldetool
  • Like 1

Grew up learning how to shoot by hunting squirrels with a single shot .22 with iron sights. DO NOT have the eyes for irons anymore, but I do love a good little bolt action 22 with glass. Just about the most pleasureable hunting there is!

hhmm... My dog's favorite hobby is chasing the squirrels across the back yard. He'd be kinda miffed (and bored) if I started picking them off. unsure.png

biggrin.png

Our dog manages to catch a squirrel in the backyard about once a month, and she eats them, fur, bones... Everything.

She had a coon cornered one night, I told her it was going to kick'er ass. She didn't listen, came back in later bleeding but panting and happy as hell.

• Like 1