It was a blast mowing my "yard" with this old MTD high wheel mower. It gave me 13 years of good service on a yard that most would call a well groomed jungle with rocks. I've put tons of replacemet parts and fluids into it over the years and it always started on the first pull with three pumps of the primer. In fact, the unit still runs but it's time for a new one. The front right axle was bent, bearing locked up and wheel torn off. The shaft was bent during this as the blade dropped at a higher than normal rate of speed and hit the stump that did the final blow to the wheel. The rear axle rattled off and stripped the bar that the bolt goes into. The carb has been tweaked out to run at elevation so it's pretty much worthless in the valley. Bent the throttle tab down to lock it into WOT. The handles are old and bent all to hell from pushing and pulling it around. The motor is loosing power and compression slowly.

I could put about 90 bucks into it and have it running again but, this thing has done it's job. To me it would be like polishing a turd. Even if I take the time and cash to fix it, it will still be an old mower with lots of hours on it. A money pit.

The newer MTD mowers are just crap. When I purchased this thing years ago at the local ACE, MTD was a good cheap mower with an OK motor that was still made in America. The new ones are out of the picture as the chinese can't make a good cheap mower like our guys did.

Do any of you know about or run a Husqvarna? I'm looking at this model. http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/lawn-mowers/7021p/

Looks like a nice Jap Honda motor. Not sure where the rest of it is made. My saws are made in Sweden so maybe the mower too?

post-24315-0-69461500-1370533786_thumb.jpg

post-24315-0-14903000-1370533982_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stryker0946

Stryker, I actually own that model of a Husqvarna mower. The engine on mine is a Kohler, but I bought my mower three or so years ago. It's given me solid service. Its been tough, starts without any hassle, and has handled every job I've thrown at it so far. Think the mower itself is made outside of Sweden, but as I said, mines been great!

• Like 3

Stryker, I actually own that model of a Husqvarna mower. The engine on mine is a Kohler, but I bought my mower three or so years ago. It's given me solid service. Its been tough, starts without any hassle, and has handled every job I've thrown at it so far. Think the mower itself is made outside of Sweden, but as I said, mines been great!

Thanks for your intel. I appreciate it. I remember the Kohler motors on the models in the past. I also remember seeing Techumseh as well. Both really kick ass motors.

My neighbor is a retired fire fighter who ran a lawncare business on the side (solo) and he owns a honda mower full out. I can't justify 800 for a mower that I know I will destroy. At least I can try the motor out!

i really like husqvarna products. currenty using a self propelled model with three seasons on it. i need to replace a husq. line trimmer that had four seasons on it . it was lost in a house fire last sept. my next chainsaw purchase will be a husqvarna. also to replace a saw lost in the fire.

• Like 2

A nice walk behind bobcat would last you a life time and you don't have to push

I could also use the .338 Lapua deer hunting but it seems like a bit too much! I think I would kill the bobcat with a mower attachement faster than a regular lawnmower but I could simply remove the rocks with the bucket and have a yard like the rest of suburbia! Cool tool, It would have to be wired to a remote control. You couldn't pay me to hop on a bobcat! Maybe I'll just steal this from the family farm and trade in the blade for a nice lawnmower attachment! smile.png Ha!

post-24315-0-56993900-1370538102_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stryker0946

Hard to go wrong with Husqvarna products. I finally retired my MTD rider a couple years ago and rather than go through all the usual complete pain in the ass shit I've done all my life with mowers... (bringing home other people's thrown away shit and doing a carb job, tuneup, & sharpen blades, etc...) I finally decided to take all my grass cutting work seriously and invest some serious cash into a deserving place. I started looking through Craig's List and the local Farm Supply lists and quickly found one just like this > http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/garden-tractors/gth24k54/ < one listed for $1500 and only 1 mile down the road from me. Had only a few seasons use on it with pretty low hours and in perfect condition. 24 HP Intek V- Twin Briggs & Stratton engine, Hydrostatic tranny (a dream to use compared to standard), and 54" cutting deck that will cut a circle around a "Shepherd's Pie"... My dog Max lays em down big -n rich LMAO! (Only 6" less cutting width than my bush hog on the big MF tractor.) Lawn tractor body construction itself and ease of use is really good. My only complaints so far are lack of traction when angled on a hillside (needs wheel weights, might try putting water in em...) and doesn't seem to have much pulling power for towing. I think I've recently found out why though and I'm about to change the tranny oil & see if that fixes it. Overall I really love it and mowing grass went from a chore to an actually enjoyable experience. As much time as I have to spend cutting 6+ acres of grass, it was WELL worth the investment.... especially since I managed to talk the guy down to $1300 and he even delivered it. wink.png Liked it so much I went on CL again and found this cool sun shade for it for 50 bucks. Portable shade and I can mount guns on there if I want to.

post-1293-0-58483400-1370540866_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-12547600-1370540908_thumb.jpg

So yep, long story short... I'm rockin a Husqvarna, it's given me great service, and I love it. I'm sure their push mowers must be just as high quality. I know their chainsaws are.

• Like 2

Fuck yeah! Battle rifle on board!

attachicon.gifIMAG0783.jpg

So yep, long story short... I'm rockin a Husqvarna, it's given me great service, and I love it. I'm sure their push mowers must be just as high quality. I know their chainsaws are.

That's rad! My lawn is too sketchy for a riding mower. The front part is awesome with a Walker the neighbor lets me use if I want but the back cost me a few bucks in blades when using the walker back there. That's an awesome setup! I would be sure to destroy it! Is the transmission fluid the same as a hysrostatic hydraulic fluid system? Those things get tricky but you can always replace the pump if she pusses out on you! Did that to an old honda many moons ago. Made it like new.

• Like 1

A nice walk behind bobcat would last you a life time and you don't have to push

I could also use the .338 Lapua deer hunting but it seems like a bit too much! I think I would kill the bobcat with a mower attachement faster than a regular lawnmower but I could simply remove the rocks with the bucket and have a yard like the rest of suburbia! Cool tool, It would have to be wired to a remote control. You couldn't pay me to hop on a bobcat! Maybe I'll just steal this from the family farm and trade in the blade for a nice lawnmower attachment! smile.png Ha!

Not a bobcat skidster they make lawn mowers. Had a bobcat walk behind with a 48" deck and 12 hp motor that i used for 15 years.

• Like 2

I ran one for about 4 years until we moved and I needed a rider. Had the self propelled model with a Honda engine. Sold it to a buddy of mine and he is on his 3rd year with it...no issues. I also run a Husq string trimmer on year 7, chain saw on year 9, and a blower on year 5...No issues out of any of them.

The Honda engines are the best but they don't make then with Honda anymore...I think they are Briggs now.

• Like 1

I have a Husqvarna 2348LS... Looks just like Cobra's... just the next size smaller...

I have had it for several years now... I LOVE IT... although I am VERY HARD on it... it keeps right on pluggin along. Electric blade engagement, hydrostatic transmission, cruise control, all kinds of fun!!!!

I have had to replace the front axle spindles TWICE on each side...But I suppose slamming into small tree stumps at full speed and bending the wheels at odd angles doesnt help any! LOL laugh.png yes... thats ALL MY FAULT... but I also think its designed to "give" so you dont fuck anything worse up. Spindles are 26 bucks... so thats CHEAP... and I have bent them back with a pickel fork many times before giving in and getting new ones. LOL! Likewise, the antisway bar on the deck was swapped out twice for the same reason as well... I mow a wooded area with it, and I ALWAYS run full bore!!! ROFL!

Other than that... I have had no issues with it. It starts right up every time, cuts great, is easy to work on ( changing the oil and filter ) and the belt is easy to get on and off, as well as the deck... 032.gif

I recommend them highly!!!

000.gif

I just bought a Honda with that engine. RWD self propelled. Same situation, my Toro crapped out and instead on $50 on a coil for a 13yo motor, the wife said just get a new one.

That 160cc engine is great. Its low HP, like 5.5 IIRC, but all torque. My toro would bog down on thick grass, not this Honda! I went with the Honda over similar powered competitors because of the 4 year warranty and weight. The Honda is listed as only 85lbs, so easier to manuever and feels like more power. I did a LOT of research on this guy, because $360 is a lot of $ to me, and I think its a winner. Close second was a Craftsman with same motor on sale for $380 - $20 coupon - $10 Discovver cashback = $324. But for the $40 more I got a better warranty, lighter mower, and Hondas dual-blade, which is outstanding for mulching.

What I would have loved is their basic RWD 216 available with their Nexite deck. Its a polymer that shaves weight, resists grass sticking, and wont rust. Problem is, its on their upper tier models, where they stock on so many bells and whistles the weight jumps to about 100lbs even with the lightweight deck. They put that on a sleek base RWD model, ill bet they could make it a 75lb self propelled! If you are going for a Push mower, I would be even more concerned with weight, whats the stat on that Husq? Similar Honda is 77lb with oil.

Anyway, great engine that outperforms most 190cc mowers out there. They make a commercial version thats beefier, but from what ive read, your deck will rust out long before the residential-grade engine dies, unless you are mowing 10 acres a day.

The Honda engine is also made in the US.

Edited by mostholycerebus

LOL I love the subject of man toys. I myself have no need for a lawnmower. I grew up cutting 7 acres of open lawn on a 10 HP Snapper with a 36" cutting deck. When I went into the Army after high school, the first thing my old man did was buy a new mower. He lost his free labor, cut into his motorcycle riding time, so I can't blame him. He still sports his Toro Z-master Professional 5000. 725 cc V-twin motor with a 72" cutting deck. Years and hours of service on it, still going strong. As for me.... I learned, lawns suck, I bought a house in the woods. No lawn, but I can't throw a rock without hitting a tree in any direction.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this yet (didn't read all replies) but most of the consumer-field self-propelled and riding mowers are made on a contract by people who are not associated with that company . In-fact many consumer-grade riding mowers from different brands are made in the same factory and then differ only cosmetically. You can search around on where each mower is made and who actually produces it before sticking a brand-name on it.

http://todaysmower.com/2011/riding-mower-brands/

http://www.repairfaq.org/samnew/lmfaq/lmwmmwbn.htm

I ordered a new Husqvarna full manual mower after hearing all the good things about them from other owners. The honda motor guys like them as well. If they really are Honda's made in the USA, I will be stoked!

It's been a strange week for gear. My frame pack that is designed to hump around children had defective webbing but Kelty had me cut it into pieces, send them a photo of it and sent me a new one. Awesome customer service.

My bro came over to borrow a weed wacker since his push wacker shit the bed and they can't get parts for it. I went to get it out of the garage and noticed... THE WIFE HAD RUN IT OVER WITH HER CAR! Never trust a slovak backing up a car.

It was a featherlight xt200. at low rpm i could hit rocks and stumps with it all day and not waste line. I have to get another one now. She slid it back quite a ways. the plastic was work down about an inch and the drive shaft was bent.

No such thing as home ownership, It's a fucking liability.

Anything with a Honda motor is going to be hard to beat. I let my Honda powered pressure washer sit for about a year and a half without starting it. I just added some good gas to the bad gas and it started on the third pull and purrs like a kitten. I bought a walk behind Honda mower just to get in the hard to reach places that my riding mower can't get to but I always end up cutting my whole yard with it because I like it so much. They are well worth the extra money in my opinion.

• Like 2

I ordered a new Husqvarna full manual mower after hearing all the good things about them from other owners. The honda motor guys like them as well. If they really are Honda's made in the USA, I will be stoked!

It's been a strange week for gear. My frame pack that is designed to hump around children had defective webbing but Kelty had me cut it into pieces, send them a photo of it and sent me a new one. Awesome customer service.

My bro came over to borrow a weed wacker since his push wacker shit the bed and they can't get parts for it. I went to get it out of the garage and noticed... THE WIFE HAD RUN IT OVER WITH HER CAR! Never trust a slovak backing up a car.

It was a featherlight xt200. at low rpm i could hit rocks and stumps with it all day and not waste line. I have to get another one now. She slid it back quite a ways. the plastic was work down about an inch and the drive shaft was bent.

No such thing as home ownership, It's a fucking liability.

Glad you found one with a Honda engine! You will not be disappointed. The ones I have seem lately did not have Honda engines. That could be the difference between commercial and consumer grades as others have mentioned.

Keep us informed on you string trimmer search. I don't need a new one but I am in the market for one that you can change the heads one. I need a poll hedge trimmmer and I figure that would be the way to go as I could get different ends as needed. I have been looking at the Echo Pro attachment series.

• Like 1

The next lawnmower I buy is going to be a late 40s - early 50s Farmall Cub (preferably a Lo-Boy) with a White belly mower...unless I get a good deal on a Allis Chalmers B with the same belly mower.

The A-C B is a bit to much tractor for my 1 acre though smile.png

My old American made Craftsman lawn tractor with the 15hp cast iron Kohler is still chugging along just fine, however.

LOL I love the subject of man toys.

I'll second that, and I hope your new mower gives you good service.

Edited by Barnett3006
  • Like 1

I was at Northern Tool And Equipment yesterday to get a cheap hammer drill and noticed that they sell Husqvarna "walk behind" lawn mowers there, not sure if they're priced any better than the big box store or not. I took notice of them after following this thread for a couple of days, and having to work on my current rig again. I've been running a MTD Yard Man for at least seven years now, I'm on my second set of wheels for it. It's front wheel drive and it chewed up another belt last week, it's also been pulling pretty weak, so I disassembled the drive mechanism, cleaned it up, and packed everything with fresh grease, it's better, but still leaves a bit to be desired, (lack of pulling power). The engine runs great and starts with the first pull.

So I took some time to check out the Husqvarna mowers yesterday, they have front wheel drive, rear wheel drive, all wheel drive, and no wheel drive huh.png

I would like to hear some of your thoughts/experience regarding the differences, advantages/disadvantages of front wheel drive Vs. rear wheel drive. I'm not interested in the all wheel drive as that would just be double the trouble, which I don't need.

As a side note....my best friend bought one of their chain saws, 20 " bar??? big fuker. Anyway, that fucken thing sounds like an aircraft engine whining when it's running. I fell two massive trees with it, went through them like butta 015.gif

I own a Husqvarna 22" self-propelled mower w/a Briggs and Stratton Professional Series Engine. It's a beast. 175CC, 7.75 ft-lbs of torque.

I also have a 20hp/46" tractor with hydrostatic drive, and a chainsaw of theirs. All of them are top quality, easy to start and more than powerful enough.

You can't go wrong with Husqvarna.

For the mower, rear wheel or all wheel drive is where it's at. The front drive mowers lose traction going up hills, and if you have to lift the front wheels for any reason, you've got no drive.

Rear wheel is the way to go. You can lift the front end, spin, and kick in the power to get around anything. With FWD you have to manually push through lots of obstacles.

I have heard that the larger rear wheels are better for turning, but they are weaker so break very easily, and the cost of frequent replacements vastly overshadows the bit of ease they grant.

I was at Northern Tool And Equipment yesterday to get a cheap hammer drill and noticed that they sell Husqvarna "walk behind" lawn mowers there, not sure if they're priced any better than the big box store or not. I took notice of them after following this thread for a couple of days, and having to work on my current rig again. I've been running a MTD Yard Man for at least seven years now, I'm on my second set of wheels for it. It's front wheel drive and it chewed up another belt last week, it's also been pulling pretty weak, so I disassembled the drive mechanism, cleaned it up, and packed everything with fresh grease, it's better, but still leaves a bit to be desired, (lack of pulling power). The engine runs great and starts with the first pull.

So I took some time to check out the Husqvarna mowers yesterday, they have front wheel drive, rear wheel drive, all wheel drive, and no wheel drive huh.png

I would like to hear some of your thoughts/experience regarding the differences, advantages/disadvantages of front wheel drive Vs. rear wheel drive. I'm not interested in the all wheel drive as that would just be double the trouble, which I don't need.

As a side note....my best friend bought one of their chain saws, 20 " bar??? big fuker. Anyway, that fucken thing sounds like an aircraft engine whining when it's running. I fell two massive trees with it, went through them like butta 015.gif

I've used different types of powered mowers. front wheel drive is probably the worst but good for flat manicured lawns. I hate the extra parts of powered walk behind mowers. Most are rear wheel drive and can be angled better by using the front end as a pivot point. Husq now makes a 4wd model that would be great for this back country lawn up and down hills but would be even more of a pain in the ass to whip around. I like the non powered units with big wheels to easily turn it on a dime around rocks and stumps.

I run all Husq saws, they do sound like rockets if you have them tuned right! Another awesome saw few know about is Jonsered. They are like stihl and husqvarna but always have the next generation stuff on them. They were the first to use the cooling fan on the wheel to ram air into the carb like a turbo prop. :) Less than both other brands but run as good or better. My next saw will be a jonsered but my husy pack is far from dead. They take some serious abuse year round with simple maintenance.

Rear wheel is the way to go. You can lift the front end, spin, and kick in the power to get around anything. With FWD you have to manually push through lots of obstacles.

I have heard that the larger rear wheels are better for turning, but they are weaker so break very easily, and the cost of frequent replacements vastly overshadows the bit of ease they grant.

Rear is the way to go if you want powered. The big wheels are great for tight stuff. I beat the ever loving shit out of a cheap mtd pictured above and only had one spoke broken. The rims are abs plastic and survived a yard most people call a forest. :)

• 9 months later...

Well folks here we go again.............lawn mower time. Long story short, after exhausting research, I bought this one with my (I quit smoking money).  It doesn't come with the water hose nipple installed in the deck for cleanup, so I bought one from Lowes, it's a replacement kit for MTD mowers. Anyway, I drilled and filed the deck to fit the nipple, took all of 15 minutes to install. I put the oil in the engine, put a little gas in it, pulled the cord lightly (once) and viola, the beast came to life, I engaged the self drive and the beast popped a wheeley and commenced to drag my old ass down the sidewalk 015.gif  This purchase was a toss-up between this one and the Husqvarna, I think I made the right choice for me.http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200585492_200585492

post-13516-0-26995900-1395578038.jpg

• Like 1

I run a Husqvarna ZTR on three acres of mostly hillsides. Had the left side tranny unit go out right after the warranty died, the deck tended to bend easily till I yanked the under plate off and other odds and ends that have made it somewhat of a money pit. I loved their chainsaws but I've been rather disappointed with it. That said, I don't coddle equipment either. I've a new Poulon Pro chainsaw(made by Husqvarna) that didn’t survive warranty which was to replace an 18" Wild Thing that got me through 3 36"x40' deadfalls and alot more smaller stuff during and since Hurricane Ike. They did at least replace it.

Good luck.

I had a Brigs and Straton one. Used it from the early 90s to 2006. Never changed oil, never changed spark plug, never added anything. Only gas to keep it running. First time out every summer it would start on the 2nd or 3rd pull. The rest of the summer it would start on the 1st or 2nd pull. It was like the AK of mowers. I tossed it after moving to a new house in 06. There isnt enough yard to need a power mower. I now use a manual one. When you push it it spins the blades. If I do my lawn once a week it takes 20-30 minutes and im done

Nice mowers. I have one, with an American engine.... Briggs, I believe. Self-propelled and works like a champ on all the stuff the Huqvarna tractor can't get close to, or my Husqvarna chainsaw is too big to cut up.