...my 16 yo daughter asked me if we could do some shooting today. She said "I might need to know how someday." She has shot with me before, a couple years ago, and didn't show a whole lot of interest. Today was great. We went over safety over and over again until she could answer all my questions. We went over Grip, Stance, Breathe Control, Sight Alignment, and Trigger Control. I grabbed the XD9sc, Judge, Beretta U22NEOS, Mossberg Tactical .22, AR 15, and the S12. She did great.

Check out the muzzle control....

IMG_1327_zps6b1ef02a.jpg

IMG_1338_zps0c522240.jpg

IMG_1352_zps6e65a22c.jpg

IMG_1387_zps243f6606.jpg

And she was nailing it at about 15 yards....

IMG_1359_zps4103bfcf.jpg

We when up the hill a little with the rifles....

IMG_1392_zps25621745.jpg

CLICK THE PIC FOR THE VIDEO....

th_IMG_1410_zps5dcd34d2.jpg

And her 100 yard results....

IMG_1411_zps0cc43732.jpg

She wouldn't touch the S12. Her words were "Next time." I am SO looking forward to throwing some clays for her.big_smile.gif

She also said she liked shooting the XD the best. She did me proud again.

• Like 9

Excellent! :up:

You can work on getting her shoulders forward, she'll need to lean in to the S12 and heavier pistols. ;)

Ladies always seem to throw their shoulders back like that... I think it's from the "baby-holding" instinct- hips forward, shoulders back.

• Like 2

one of the most important things we can do as parents and gun owners is to keep our children on board with safe responsible gun handling and ownership, they're the ones who will be deciding if the 2nd Amendment last another 200 years or if it dies with us.

• Like 2

Bravo Tool!

Some of the best range days I ever had were with my teenage daughter. She'll be 20 this year and is

living away from home in college now.

I would like to think that some of the times we spent together are at least helping to hold the libtards at college at bay.

Even though she is in the big city now I believe she is still a country girl at heart.

• Like 1

Excellent! 032.gif

You can work on getting her shoulders forward, she'll need to lean in to the S12 and heavier pistols. wink.png

Ladies always seem to throw their shoulders back like that... I think it's from the "baby-holding" instinct- hips forward, shoulders back.

Good observation.

It is hard to get them out of that even with a short LoP.

• Like 1

Excellent! 032.gif

You can work on getting her shoulders forward, she'll need to lean in to the S12 and heavier pistols. wink.png

Good observation.

It is hard to get them out of that even with a short LoP.

She'll learn fast. She is a Black Belt in TKD, so she understands "form" well.

Stryker, this is going to be a battle keeping supply up with demand. I see that coming already.

I've had to keep things to BB guns with my nephew for a while. Then last month I took him out with the 10/22 and S-12. While he was taking a little more time, he was doing better than I thought he would. All his friends were freaked out that he got to shoot a real Saiga 12. When supplies of .22, .223, x39, and 9mm improve, I'll get him out on the rest of my collection.

He loves mowing down the zombie weed!

Yes, John. That's my property. 120 yards from my back door to the berm and almost another 100 yards beyond that. It goes about 3/4 of a mile in the other direction. As far as more kids, absofuckinlutely not! If you're ever near the NY/VT border though, give me a holler and I'll show you around.

• Like 2

Excellent! 032.gif

I call it making a "7" (picture side profile)They do it because of no upper body strength so they lean back to counterbalance. The easiest way I have found is to get a couple girls to learn at the same time and give eachother a hard time after the lesson. The lesson starts at home before the range with "shoulders forward, butt back, knees bent a little. Get a foot under the weight of the gun." They typically tend to do better with more of a weaver than isosceles since it is more stable if you are weak. Then I hold an empty rifle stock and stand in a 7 and have them push me. I will have to step back. Then I lean into it and have them push me. Then they each get a turn. I make them stick the empty rifle stock in my hand or my chest and push me around with it. They laugh, and the memory of the stance sticks. When they get to the range they will revert to the 7 almost every time, but the other girl will usually make a crack about it and be conscious herself.

Since most girls don't think they know it all already they tend to learn faster than guys. Especially when you treat them as capable adults.

• Like 1

Since most girls don't think they know it all already they tend to learn faster than guys. Especially when you treat them as capable adults.

Very true statement. The female officers usually do quite well during qualification and requalification. Also guys usually have to "unlearn" bad form during formal training.

Edited by Yeoldetool

They are more coordinated than us too, generally.

I look forward to taking daughters shooting, when I get some.

A girl I know just got back from about a year in England and Europe. She just put up pictures on Facebook about target shooting with her dad. She knew I was coming to town to see her, and immediately started dropping hints about shooting. I am looking forward to the weekend. Naturally, I had to make a bunch of .38s to keep her happy.

Very true statement. The female officers usually do quite well during qualification and requalification. Also guys usually have to "unlearn" bad form during formal training.

Platitude.

SOME females are very inclined and talented, just like some males.

A lot of "bad habits" turn out to be nothing more than different styles, a lot dont.

Spent enough time on the line to have seen enough of both.

Good point. It is all individual ability, attitude, practice and a bit of luck for everyone. i do enjoy shooting with women who actually want to be there.

Back when I worked at the jail one of the old guard female officers who had certified 'master' dropped her shotgun and did some other safety problem and got DQ'd for a whole certification cycle. She was a corporal, and this caused a bunch of overtime stacking because each floor has to have at least a corporal on duty qualified with every weapon on the floor.

It wasn't just her either that round. A bunch of the other female COs barely passed, because only a couple of them practiced more than once before qualifications. A bunch of guys sucked too, but it was most of the female COs who weren't new and were slacking because they thought it didn't matter. The admin had to walk pretty softly in the way it told them to get serious. The newer more ambitious women all did pretty well.

Thats what I see watching security and LEO on the line for qualifications.

The ones that like shooting do well, the ones that dont, poorly.

Does seem females do better with handguns than rifles although that may not be anything but perception.

Generally speaking kids learn faster than anyone regardless of gender.

• Like 2