• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After my post I went into the hospital for moral support. Plastic surgeon told her the same thing I had already told her. The piercing needs to be removed it's an aterial bleed and the rid needs to be

Her choice, her fuck up. Make sure she is ok, then go on vacay. Then look into getting legal redress concerning the idiot who did the piercing job.   We ALL have to learn from our fuckups, and the s

I'd leave her adult ass at home to deal with her problems, and go on vacation.

Glad she's going to be OK. I have a son and daughter. I told them early on that if they get a tatoo or anything other than ears pierced, they were cut out of the will. I meant it, too. So far so good.

In my humble opinion, that makes you a judgmental asshole.

Make your decisions for yourself - your adult children can make their own. Disowning them as a response to a personal choice that doesn't do you a damned bit of harm is asinine.

• Like 2

After my post I went into the hospital for moral support. Plastic surgeon told her the same thing I had already told her. The piercing needs to be removed it's an aterial bleed and the rid needs to be removed. Then apply direct pressure in both sides of the cheek. If you're lucky after applying direct pressure for 30 minutes it will stop, and if it doesn't you looking at surgery. I thought she was gonna shit herself when he repeated what I had told her already. I know she hates it when I'm right and she's wrong.

So she agrees to remove it. Problem now is the plasma had gotten into the threads of the rod and steel ball bearing the plastic surgeon can't get it off. While he's trying I excuse myself to go out to my car. (i went out to get two sets of needle nose pliers). I come back into the room and he's still trying to get the thing off.

So I look at him and say "Doc, I'm an EMT would you mind if I give it try?". He says "sure". I'm familiar with some of the staff in the ER so I know where they keep some of the supplies. I walk over to the wall locker and open it garb the iodine sponge pack and scrub up my pliers. I turn around with one set in each hand and go to work. I grabbed the stem next to her cheek as gently as I could, knowing she was in pain. Grabbed the ball with the other pair and unscrewed it. The doc was speechless. LOL. I looked right at him and smiled.

The real fun was when we pushed the rod through. The artery spurt about three feet of blood as soon it pushed through. Pretty impressive.

At that point the Doc put the gauze in place and instructed her to hold them, apply pressure.

Well, the good news is the bleeding stopped with direct pressure, and no surgery needed. The swelling is nearly gone now, and she's her sassy usual self. Doc says there should be no scar, and she's was cleared to go back packing with us on vacation.

She's still gonna have to cough up the copay when the bill arrives. I have done my best not to ride her over it. Hopefully she has learned a vaulable lesson about adult choices.

Thanks for the input fellas. Much appreciated.

I think you handled this as level headed as I would have. Including posting here, haha. Good job Dad.

After my post I went into the hospital for moral support. Plastic surgeon told her the same thing I had already told her. The piercing needs to be removed it's an aterial bleed and the rid needs to be removed. Then apply direct pressure in both sides of the cheek. If you're lucky after applying direct pressure for 30 minutes it will stop, and if it doesn't you looking at surgery. I thought she was gonna shit herself when he repeated what I had told her already. I know she hates it when I'm right and she's wrong.

So she agrees to remove it. Problem now is the plasma had gotten into the threads of the rod and steel ball bearing the plastic surgeon can't get it off. While he's trying I excuse myself to go out to my car. (i went out to get two sets of needle nose pliers). I come back into the room and he's still trying to get the thing off.

So I look at him and say "Doc, I'm an EMT would you mind if I give it try?". He says "sure". I'm familiar with some of the staff in the ER so I know where they keep some of the supplies. I walk over to the wall locker and open it garb the iodine sponge pack and scrub up my pliers. I turn around with one set in each hand and go to work. I grabbed the stem next to her cheek as gently as I could, knowing she was in pain. Grabbed the ball with the other pair and unscrewed it. The doc was speechless. LOL. I looked right at him and smiled.

The real fun was when we pushed the rod through. The artery spurt about three feet of blood as soon it pushed through. Pretty impressive.

At that point the Doc put the gauze in place and instructed her to hold them, apply pressure.

Well, the good news is the bleeding stopped with direct pressure, and no surgery needed. The swelling is nearly gone now, and she's her sassy usual self. Doc says there should be no scar, and she's was cleared to go back packing with us on vacation.

She's still gonna have to cough up the copay when the bill arrives. I have done my best not to ride her over it. Hopefully she has learned a vaulable lesson about adult choices.

Hey man - Im going to relate some of my own quiet advice. I have enough scars on my body, that I do not need a tatoo or piercing. Im not Jewish (tattoos violate the temple of the body, according to jewish law), but I just dont believe in such things I have given more than one person a tattoo or piercing in my lifetime, and I will bet you money that they are not proud of it, but also can tell you the day they got it, much like I can with my injuries.

sure, I may eventually get a tat or burn of my mom or dad on me, but it wont be until after they die.

until then noone touches my shit. I have scars all over myself, and I can sit and tell you where each one came from. only one or two can I say came from pride. all the rest were stupidity.

good show with the pliars, and even gooder that the kid is alright....

ask your kid for me, why do you want scars? lets go crash a car, and get a really COOL one... ??

oh yeh, Id also be real nice and offer a lead deposit to whoever did that to my kid.....but thats just me.

Edited by Ben Vampatella

Glad she's going to be OK. I have a son and daughter. I told them early on that if they get a tatoo or anything other than ears pierced, they were cut out of the will. I meant it, too. So far so good.

I choose to guide my kids in the right direction. My oldest son got a couple of really shitty tattoo's against my advice. I to this day hate the tattoo's, but not the person behind them. My son and I have been through the tough love and not talking for almost three years. That is three years lost that I can never get back. It did need to happen, but doesn't mean I don't have some regrets that he will never know about. That badly tattoo'd asshole is now my best friend. I don't even see the tattoo's anymore. I went the opposite route and took him to get a GOOD tattoo and paid for it myself. Be very careful the stances you take as kids will do what they are going to do no matter what you want at times. So if you lose contact with one of your kids over a tattoo or piercing, you can not get that time back and you will be as much to blame as them since you took this stance. This is your life decision to make when/if the time comes.

Not judging you at all as I made that stance with my wife. Told her if she got a tattoo, she could bring the divorce papers back with her. Fast forward to the older, wiser me. I realized what a controlling dick move that was. Instead of considering what she wanted to do with HER body as an adult, I simply subjected her to my personal feelings and that was it. Two years ago, I took her to get the tattoo she had always wanted for her birthday. She is still the same woman I love that has stood beside my bullshit for 24 years tomorrow and she now has TWO tattoo's.

Food for thought018.gif

• Like 1

I don't understand what some peoples issues are with tats. Maybe my family was a little more forward about this, but still I don't get it. Its as prevalent in my family as military service. Indeed my Great-Grandmother served in WWII as a medic and had her unit crest tattooed on her arm and was VERY proud of it and her service.

I just don't get the social stigmatism about them. Anyone care to explain?

I choose to guide my kids in the right direction. My oldest son got a couple of really shitty tattoo's against my advice. I to this day hate the tattoo's, but not the person behind them. My son and I have been through the tough love and not talking for almost three years. That is three years lost that I can never get back. It did need to happen, but doesn't mean I don't have some regrets that he will never know about. That badly tattoo'd asshole is now my best friend. I don't even see the tattoo's anymore. I went the opposite route and took him to get a GOOD tattoo and paid for it myself. Be very careful the stances you take as kids will do what they are going to do no matter what you want at times. So if you lose contact with one of your kids over a tattoo or piercing, you can not get that time back and you will be as much to blame as them since you took this stance. This is your life decision to make when/if the time comes.

Not judging you at all as I made that stance with my wife. Told her if she got a tattoo, she could bring the divorce papers back with her. Fast forward to the older, wiser me. I realized what a controlling dick move that was. Instead of considering what she wanted to do with HER body as an adult, I simply subjected her to my personal feelings and that was it. Two years ago, I took her to get the tattoo she had always wanted for her birthday. She is still the same woman I love that has stood beside my bullshit for 24 years tomorrow and she now has TWO tattoo's.

Food for thought018.gif

Good for you. My parents brought me to get my mohawk cut for the first time. Embracing things ensures that the act isn't about rebellion, or a separation between you.

There's no social stigma about a tattoo. They ARE permanent, so I see two dangers with them.

1. You might not like what it says after some years, especially if you got it while drunk or via peer pressure.

2. It may say "your message" to the wrong people at the wrong time. A Southern Cross is beautiful, but it pisses off black people.

Then there's the health hazards. The main problem I see with tattoos, piercings, funky haircuts, is that some young person

thinks that's the way to express themselves, instead of just being them. Put that time and money you would have spent

on bodily disfigurement into a unique experience you haven't done before and grow as a person instead.

However, I give the man mad props for removing the piercings with needlenose pliers in the ER. That's bad ass.

There's no social stigma about a tattoo. They ARE permanent, so I see two dangers with them.

1. You might not like what it says after some years, especially if you got it while drunk or via peer pressure.

2. It may say "your message" to the wrong people at the wrong time. A Southern Cross is beautiful, but it pisses off black people.

I totally understand that, I had a friend who did a 1/2 sleeve as a memorial to his best friend who died horribly.... Wound up having to have it removed through costly lazer removal. Not that He didn't still miss and love his friend, he was sick of having to relive the story every time someone asked about the tattoo! Beautiful sentiment, but misplaced when one wears ones emotions quite literally on ones sleeve. I've kept most of mine where they can be covered easily for this reason. They're more for me, less for you anyway.

Then there's the health hazards. The main problem I see with tattoos, piercings, funky haircuts, is that some young person

thinks that's the way to express themselves, instead of just being them. Put that time and money you would have spent

on bodily disfigurement into a unique experience you haven't done before and grow as a person instead.

However, I give the man mad props for removing the piercings with needlenose pliers in the ER. That's bad ass.

Well said. I can only add that it irritates me to no end that I see so many people with bad teeth and welfare cards literally covered in tattoos. Spend the damn money on some dental and health care to beautify yourself.

I really don't have anything against tattoos. It's misplaced mis-spent money by people receiving public assistance that I have an issue with.

• Like 1

"bodily disfigurement"

Some people like them and some do not it is thier choice.

I have good friends with tattoos . Some have paid good money and love them some got them free from Hitler and do not like them. This is complicated because there is more to it personally

Edited by jerry52

Well said. I can only add that it irritates me to no end that I see so many people with bad teeth and welfare cards literally covered in tattoos. Spend the damn money on some dental and health care to beautify yourself.

I really don't have anything against tattoos. It's misplaced mis-spent money by people receiving public assistance that I have an issue with.

Totally Justified.

As far as social stigmatism, there obviously is one when it comes to family social structure and issues therein as SouthernOne is describing. So please look at the broader picture.

how old are your kids?

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

Being a kid growing up on Air Force bases seeing enlisted guys with ink from all over the world was normal. When I joined my first liberty into town was to the tattoo parlor. My tattoo's as well as my scars chronicle my lifes story. I have no problem with tattoos or piercings but I do have some issues with placement and content. Mainly when it comes to me and my kids. I just hate to see something that can't be concealed should t he need arise. We talk to the piercing guy when we get back from vacation. As much as hate more regulation I may go to the city council to propose some so see t of education or certification for our city. I know cases like this are rare as far as we know, peoples health may be at risk sine anyone can do it as it stands.

Shit happens. Lessons are learned. Most often the painful ones are remembered best. In the end she's ok and for me that's the most important thing as we head out for vacation.

• Like 1

Maybe body disfigurement was too strong. Point is, if you want a tattoo, get it for yourself,

not to impress people or say something.

I've met people with numbers on their arms, and listened to them speak. Never forget that stuff happened.

• Like 1

Being a kid growing up on Air Force bases seeing enlisted guys with ink from all over the world was normal. When I joined my first liberty into town was to the tattoo parlor. My tattoo's as well as my scars chronicle my lifes story. I have no problem with tattoos or piercings but I do have some issues with placement and content. Mainly when it comes to me and my kids. I just hate to see something that can't be concealed should t he need arise. We talk to the piercing guy when we get back from vacation. As much as hate more regulation I may go to the city council to propose some so see t of education or certification for our city. I know cases like this are rare as far as we know, peoples health may be at risk sine anyone can do it as it stands.

Shit happens. Lessons are learned. Most often the painful ones are remembered best. In the end she's ok and for me that's the most important thing as we head out for vacation.

Don't ask for more regulation, that is ridiculous, that is pretty much what the Sandy Hook people did. Not trying to bust your balls but please don't become "one of those people".

• Like 1

Thanks for the anniversary wishes guys.

My hang up is tattoo'd women. I'm just not a fan. I like a soft girly woman and for me tattoo's give them a hardened look. I quite honestly hate seeing a great pair of legs with some stupid tattoo at the ankle. I'm still not crazy about my wife's tat's, her happiness is more important to me than a couple of discreet tat's. If she wanted to get a sleeve, we'd have to have several long, long, long talks, haha.

My bicepts are both tatoo'd inside and out. So I don't have any problem with them in general. Another thing to keep in perspective is that the art work is IMO light years from what it was when my wife and I first had the tat discussion. There are some people out there doing some fuckin serious art.

I'm probably gonna have a leg piece done in the near future. My arm tats all pretty much have a meaning. The leg one will probably just be something off the wall. It will definitely have some 3D and whatever it ends up being must look real as hell.

Don't ask for more regulation, that is ridiculous, that is pretty much what the Sandy Hook people did. Not trying to bust your balls but please don't become "one of those people".

I know what your saying, apples & oranges in my opinion. When a person hangs a shingle and claims they are porfessional and take money for services they open themselves up to it when they make a mistake. Edited by liberty -r- death

I know what your saying, apples & oranges in my opinion. When a person hangs a shingle and claims they are porfessional and take money for services they open themselves up to it when they make a mistake.

Regulations don't make things safer, they just make them more expensive and keep competition out. If someone can't see the danger in a peircing.......

I know what your saying, apples & oranges in my opinion. When a person hangs a shingle and claims they are porfessional and take money for services they open themselves up to it when they make a mistake.

Regulations don't make things safer, they just make them more expensive and keep competition out. If someone can't see the danger in a peircing.......

I'm going to do some research when we get back home. We may already have something. I also want to talk to the priecing guy to see how educated he is about his chosen profession.

how old are your kids?

Son , 25, BS in Mathematics, Software Engineer

Daughter, 22 BS in Sociology , just got married

Edited by SouthernOne

they're adults, so what is your problem if they want to have a tattoo? is it that you like to have control over your adult kids lives and use money to do that. because I believe that is exactly what it's all about.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

they're adults, so what is your problem if they want to have a tattoo? is it that you like to have control over your adult kids lives and use money to do that. because I believe that is exactly what it's all about.

I believe it is really none of your damn business how someone else decides their will.

Gold coins from heaven! This is too fucking awesome! Ha Ha ha ha! You rock DAD! LOL!

how old are your kids?

Son , 25, BS in Mathematics, Software Engineer

Daughter, 22 BS in Sociology , just got married

Daughter, 3, PHD in chasing deer and destroying my record collection

Son, 7 months, MFA in pooping pants and puking on dad's face

• Like 1