When polytechs were first coming in they were cheap Chinese crap now they are pretty high on The list. The best ive owned was a hungerian sa85m. Should have kept it.

people say this a lot but personally I've never really seen a Chinese AK that I was all that impressed with when compared to a standard stamped Euro variant. I would probably make exceptions for an 84S or any other spiker.

if I had a lot of money to drop on an AK, I would get a Bulgarian milled RPK in 5.56. The VEPR .223 comes pretty close, but I would love to have a 5.56 companion to my AES-10B, which is one of the most accurate AKs I've ever shot.

• 2 weeks later...

Yugo M72... I'm kinda biased towards "heavier duty" guns. But I just seem to get much better accuracy from that one compared to any other RPK I've shot.

I can see why.  With a 16 inch barrel there is less material on barrel whip so theoretically you would have a barrel that returns to center a little faster.

However this can also be offset by other factors such as actual twist rate after the reality of tolerances and machining.  If it's slightly tighter than the median tollerance, it will naturally squeeze a touch more accuracy out of the round and barrel.  However at 50 yards or closer, it will be unnoticeable.

You could give the barrel a thicker OD (outer diameter) but you'll also notice it when you pick it up too.

At 75 yards when I do my part, my rifle hits POA with it's POI.  I can't ask much more than that.  I'm confident should I extend the range, I'd see the same results without optics within reasonable ranges.

• 5 weeks later...

I had a Norinco SKS, once, that couldn't shoot better than a 6" group past 50 yards, so I have something to compare my AKs to.

I like the weight of the stamped AKs. Anything shooting 5.45 is a great AK in my book (albeit, I've never fired a 5.56 AK).