Ok awhile back I was watching "into the wormhole" I think...and they were talking about alien civilizations and some of the amazing technology they could have. One thing was having the ability to construct moon or planet sized space craft. According to them it would be possible for them to achieve this because they could just pull any material they needed out of space time itself. What is this process called or theoretical process called? Google was no help.

Maybe they're referring to the fact that matter is energy and energy is matter. If you want to build something you can convert the energy of free space to matter.

I can't help but think it would be easier to just use an existing planet for raw material if you want to build a planet sized spaceship.

Darth Saigas I think you got it. I'm pretty sure that might have been what they were referring to. Were on the verge of being a type 1 civilization meaning we can control the weather of our plant. Type 2 and 3 mean you can control your solar systems sun and control your whole solar system/galaxy That's me just paraphrasing but it would seem that if you were a type 2 or 3 it would be a lot easier to just exploit a near by planet or moon. But then again that might throw off the balance of your whole solar system.

Edited by Yugopap4me

I think the civilization would have to be able to use "Zero Point" or free space energy, E=MC2 if you have the energy, matter is no problem.

as for building a ship it would be far easier to take an asteroid and hollow it out even shape it using nothing more than a lens/mirror and the sun .

A metallic one would be best. the melted material could be used in fabrication of the guts and heavy metallic ions tossed out the back would make a slow but ever increasing speed motor that could max out at 90% of Light.

Most think the moon is our way station to the rest of the system and interstellar but you go to the asteroid belt and water the most essential element is there along with Heavy metals for construction can be found in abundance , all powered by pure focused sunlight ,refined on the spot ,fabricated ,assembled , fueled with established life support waiting for people all done by unmanned self constructing scavenger/factory bots .

There is a whole rocky planet with water ,metals all broken into bits waiting to be cherry picked for the good bits out there ,once you establish a fueling station and turn the bots loose and wait a while then you could have an very sound radiation resistant interplanetary /Interstellar ship Delivered to orbit above us ready for huge crews /inhabitants with rotational gravity.

You may thinking i am joking but with our current technology i.e. 3D printing in metal along with being 15-20 years at most from true A I, i can see a "Replicator" limited to computation is build able in less than 10 years if we wish but it would be able to make any shape and assemble it into a full factory !

Leave the moon to private money to establish a base and harvest the Helium 3 in the soil it looks pretty but resources are limited even if there is water at the pole . you could mine but nearly pure metal is available out in the belt and it is nothing to send it back into orbit horror.gif and partially or completely fabricated already .I could live in a 1 mile nickel iron asteroid very happy Sucker would be bullet proof as heck haha.gif .

It would be truly impressive if "we" could establish a Moon-based production facility, with ships capable of harvesting resources from the Asteroid Belt. Then we could truly be "on the way" to becoming a space-faring race.

I say "we" referring to the combined efforts of multiple nations, similar to the ISS.

... and then the fight started. :D

Well I see how exploiting astroids or moons or planets may be easier for eons to come compared to pulling material out of space time and other dimensions etc. But that's the same type of thinking that says the wheel will always be the best and most efficient method of land travel

Edited by Yugopap4me

One thing was having the ability to construct moon or planet sized space craft. According to them it would be possible for them to achieve this because they could just pull any material they needed out of space time itself. What is this process called?

you don't a physicist to tell you how that would be done.

just get some Mexicans, tell them what materials you want, and they'll find it and build it

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

I've worked with one ZPE device, and it could be used to make a more efficent neon light, or boost the power of a gas laser. Have seen more photonic output along with frequency blueshift, so the outputted photons do have more power in them! The device is kinda like the warp drive out of Star Trek (coils and plasma). I'm not going to say more, as there might be something patentable here!

But when working anywhere near psudoscience, BEWARE!, there's a lot of pure bullshit out there! Trust only what you can verify!

Even the guy that clued me into this device, is supposed to be an electrical engineer, but he's blinded by bullshit, and his suggested circuit just shorts itself out! An EE should know better!

Control the weather... hell, we can't hardly accurately predict the weather.

talkin to a guy about the "harp" program... somethng about ultra low frequency. he claims they sell the rights to hte high bidder and they mod the weather for profit....this wasnt a tinfoil hat thread but we might already kinda be there...

thing on youtube its a book vid etc called "on the trail of the nephilim". it says "aliens" are no more than the offspring of angels and humans from along time ago...

my problem with most things is folks cant be objective. remember climate-gate? thats not very scientific, so how can i trust what these guys say about God etc.

so, my thesis is, aliens or not, doesnt prove or disprove God.

but, regardless of whats goin on, in our history weve had alot of unexplained stuff that science etc wont or other folks cant explain. in that "trail of nephilim" thing they claim that smithsonian has been covering up the giant skulls cause it doesnt fit into the current explanation of things....

now, sorry for the rant, onto the q physics...

i have no idea but ya darth saigas idea

sounds good...

I think the civilization would have to be able to use "Zero Point" or free space energy, E=MC2 if you have the energy, matter is no problem.

as for building a ship it would be far easier to take an asteroid and hollow it out even shape it using nothing more than a lens/mirror and the sun .

A metallic one would be best. the melted material could be used in fabrication of the guts and heavy metallic ions tossed out the back would make a slow but ever increasing speed motor that could max out at 90% of Light.

Most think the moon is our way station to the rest of the system and interstellar but you go to the asteroid belt and water the most essential element is there along with Heavy metals for construction can be found in abundance , all powered by pure focused sunlight ,refined on the spot ,fabricated ,assembled , fueled with established life support waiting for people all done by unmanned self constructing scavenger/factory bots .

There is a whole rocky planet with water ,metals all broken into bits waiting to be cherry picked for the good bits out there ,once you establish a fueling station and turn the bots loose and wait a while then you could have an very sound radiation resistant interplanetary /Interstellar ship Delivered to orbit above us ready for huge crews /inhabitants with rotational gravity.

You may thinking i am joking but with our current technology i.e. 3D printing in metal along with being 15-20 years at most from true A I, i can see a "Replicator" limited to computation is build able in less than 10 years if we wish but it would be able to make any shape and assemble it into a full factory !

Leave the moon to private money to establish a base and harvest the Helium 3 in the soil it looks pretty but resources are limited even if there is water at the pole . you could mine but nearly pure metal is available out in the belt and it is nothing to send it back into orbit horror.gif and partially or completely fabricated already .I could live in a 1 mile nickel iron asteroid very happy Sucker would be bullet proof as heck haha.gif .

and then they turn hostile ala terminator. game over

I think the answer is, everything is possible in time. When cavemen roamed the earth, the though of a musket would have been fantasy and thus laughed at around the fire. When our constitution was written, the thought of having hand held devices which could be used to talk to someone on the other side of the earth, then buy a musket with an assigned 'money number' with a couple touches of a finger was complete nonsense, maybe even witchcraft.

The only difference is, the technological advancements of the last few hundred years are completely tangible. The circuts on a silicon chip seem almost magic, but are as individual and real as the bolts that hold your car together.

Making matter out of the energy around us may not be a reality for another 1000 or 10,000 or 100,000 years (if humans last that long). Theres no reason to think anything is impossible or fantasy, after all, we look at past fantasies all day long and dont realize how far we have come.

So what your saying is if you do not have the energy ,It just does not matter?

Just so you know Jerry, I got it.

And on a tangentially related note... I just came across something called the "Electric Universe Theory". After watching a couple of the videos "proving" that the sun runs on electricity rather than fusion I think I may have killed some brain cells.

They also say that the red color of the sunset proves that velocity redshift is a myth and the universe is static. (I made a punny. Static. Electric. Get it?)

Aaaanywho... Back to your regularly scheduled topic.