Yeah, that's what New Years eve always reminds me of. Small arms fire. Around my little town the stuff has been going on since dark, echoing through the streets, hills, and valleys. One or two displays sound like a firefight almost.

Given the direction this country is heading, how long before these echoes are the real thing every night of the year?

A question to ponder..... stock up people....

I am a few miles away, but Muskegon Heights made Cambodia seem like Kansas, lot's of gun fire and it is a safe bet it was from cheap handguns held sideways.

Bonus points if you can name the movie refernce.

I worked in Muskegon for 2 1/2 years.  I am not shocked by your comments on the Heights.  Makes me glad I live in the Grand Rapids area.  

I stand in the doorway every year and listen to hear who has what.  Mostly revolvers (six shots at a time) and shotguns for a good 30 mins starting at midnight.  When the ammo storage was in full swing there was nothing...except the year we heard one loud shot couple fields away and then life flight showed up shortly after.

Lot of gunfire here, we listen to it get an idea what the idjits in the area are packing.

Either the cadence or the supersonic crack gives it away.

Mostly 9mm, some 22 (what-a-waste), some inconclusive shotgun fire, no serious rifle fire that we heard.

Damn crap load of 9mm for sure.

Nice to know.

Many moons ago where my family lived, you'd always hear a few random gunshots and pots/pans banging around...

Then my Dad would load up his blackpowder pistol (looked like the single-shot pistols that pirates had in their sash) with a little extra powder (cardboard wad, nothing solid), step outside and touch that thing off...   BAWOOOMMMM!!  015.gif

No more noise the rest of the night!  021.gif

• Like 1

Wish I had the money the day DC sold the KREW cannon!  Oxyhydrogen powered resonant cannon, that is louder than a 155mm howitzer.

post-46782-0-85201000-1388616647_thumb.jpg

Burn mark was from the year we ran out of hydrogen and the O2 caught the alcohol/boric acid mixture we were using to give green flame rings.

The year before, we had a complaint from 10 miles distant.

The KREW cannon was a proof of concept for a psycological warfare device bound for Iraq.

• Like 3

My neighbor shot off 14 rds from a pistol at midnight. I was in bed and don't want to waste ammo.

In the area I live, most of the sounds at night on Jul 4th and new years ARE small arms. I usually don't shoot because I only have 2 acres + 2 wooded unoccupted next to me, but on Jul 4th I blasted a ton of .22lr for several days. I just like to stay considerate most of the time.

I did buy a blank adapter for the AKs a few years back and have just yet to buy a case of blanks for celebrations.

Edited by mancat

My neighbor fired off his full auto ak and either a mac uzi or tec. Something fast and 9mm. July 4th is nothing compared to September's pumpkin shoot. Literally machinr guns and exploding targets all day

I love love Georgia

We had fireworks for about 5mins then the small arms started in. A couple ARs, one AK, some pistol fire and maybe two high power rifles or magnum pistols. People get pissy when I tell them we're little different from Mexicans and sand monkeys. Well stop acting like them then, sheesh.

Have a house on edge of town where I do a lot of work, so stayed there, instead of going back home, It's mainly Hispanic, like my neighbors, keep a good eye on my place (usually work at night, or gone for days at a time) and fix some dang good food most Sundays/holidays that I'm here. Usually keep watch on their kids, help round up their stray livestock, and it's pretty good. Yet last night watched their fireworks starting around 11:30, about 10 degrees out, then the guns started going off all around , all fairly intoxicated. I went back inside, about 30 mins. later a knock on my door. A flesh wound, treated it and sent them home. Oh, I've preformed 1st aid before for stupidity at Sunday afternoon drunk/cooking accidents or kids doing things kids do. Knock, this afternoon, plate of some really good food. Still feeling the effects.

• Like 2

I am white but was rasied in a nearly 100% mexican neighborhood. I always loved my neighbors they would look out for you and your right on about the food. Ive watched goats killed and cooked and ate them many times

• Like 2

Lot of gunfire here, we listen to it get an idea what the idjits in the area are packing.

Mostly 9mm, some 22 (what-a-waste), some inconclusive shotgun fire, no serious rifle fire that we heard.

Nice to know.

Tese idiot assholes think that we can't tell the difference. I heard a neighbor shoot ten rounds of .22 lr from a rifle then a pause and another ten rounds.  They don't fool me nor the local police who stay away to avoid etting accidentaly shot.  Firecracker sound different and they go off randomly.

Edited by uzitiger

Nice to know.

Tese idiot assholes think that we can't tell the difference. I heard a neighbor shoot ten rounds of .22 lr from a rifle then a pause and another ten rounds.  They don't fool me nor the local police who stay away to avoid etting accidentaly shot.  Firecracker sound different and they go off randomly.

That explains the the absence of those that serve and protect every year. Cant really blame them.

One woman's house was riddled with rounds coming in from above, damned lucky no one was hurt.

Well least I know I am not out gunned around here. Wonder if dumping a mag of 308 would have shut em up...