No, they are not hogging out the magwell on a WASR, they're installing some super-hokey "double trigger" that requires cutting off your trigger guard with a dremel.   What the hell is the point of this?

(feel free to skip to the end to see what he's accomplished)

It lets you "walk the trigger" much like paintballers do.

I started to build a 10/22 trigger group for this purpose a while back. I got a sweet trigger, but a little heavier than would be nicely walkable. I could have done it, but the feel would be off. (People who say "you can't walk a mech cocker..." haven't shot my mech cockers, or need to practice. I've been accused of using illegal ramping boards a few times with my mech guns.) I'm a bit spoiled for nice PB triggers. 

The trigger shape is wrong for its intended purpose, and the rifle would probably be unsafe if the trigger is light enough to really walk properly. PB triggers that are conducive to walking have total travel under .125", adjustable rake (I prefer about 90* but some prefer a lot of rake) and importantly have a pull weight around 100 grams with a crisp break and a very positive return. Flat triggers tend to be better. This looks like what they made in the lat 1990s before people had really worked out what worked well, and they just made what they thought looked cool. 

Cycle time would render this not effective I would think. Don't get me wrong It would work but not the way a paint ball gun would work.

I guess if you want a machine gun go through the pain and get one. Then you have one that will work.

A good trigger on an AK semi can be shot pretty fast. On the other hand what we have here is innovation at work. Not every thing is a success that leads to success.

These kits have been around for quite awhile on the AR platform. I'm not a fan of it either, but at least Century is bringing something new to market.

Yes and someone is going to hack up a pre ban Norinco/Poly?Hungarian with that thing. Its never going to be a WASR. Its going to be a Mall Ninja saying ....."My uncle gave me his AK that he bought in 1985"

Century is probably one of the last companies I want bringing something "new" to the market

• Like 1

Cycle time would render this not effective I would think. Don't get me wrong It would work but not the way a paint ball gun would work.

I guess if you want a machine gun go through the pain and get one. Then you have one that will work.

A good trigger on an AK semi can be shot pretty fast. On the other hand what we have here is innovation at work. Not every thing is a success that leads to success.

The cycle time is an issue. I looked into it with the 10-22. you can vary CPM in a blowback by changing ammo and mass of the bolt. For the AK, with a trigger that is barely walkable as the one Century offers must be, 11 shots per second would be about as fast as is likely from the trigger. I think I've hit about 13 on a trigger that would probably feel similar, but it requires much more deliberate effort. 

The other thing is you can't do a cheap dry fire to get the feel of it with a firearm.

Can you even walk a real rifle with real recoil?

I walked a modded sheridan VZ 68. That was the first semi PB gun. It's charm is that its the first and that it has a bolt that weighs more than a pound. It actually has some recoil. Maybe close to par with an AK 74 with a good comp. So I think you could learn it, but it would take a lot of ammo. That is part of why the walkable 10/22 trigger group I had started (on a spare trigger group bought off ebay) was to go on a gun with a heavy barrel. with a .920 bull, a 10/22 barely twitches while doing a mag dump.

I'mma order this trigger guard for all of my rifles and pistols.

Plus!  My vagina prevents me from being able to pull my AK trigger with one finger.  I used to have to hold my gun and have real men come pull the trigger for me.  Now I can shoot all by mysewf.

• Like 1

I cringe whenever I see the Century name. Looking through a issue of The Shotgun News that came in the mail yesterday I see J&G Sales has a couple of underfolder AK's at good prices, so thinking they might be Zastava imports I quickly scan the ad and...nope. "Assembled by Century" just as I feared.

Nevermind....

• Like 1

I stopped playing paintball when the hopper fed semis took over.

To the op:  Just no.

Then you've been missing out on a lot of fun.

Edited by GunFun

I stopped playing paintball when the hopper fed semis took over.

To the op:  Just no.

Then you've been missing out on a lot of fun.

I think not.

I cringe whenever I see the Century name. Looking through a issue of The Shotgun News that came in the mail yesterday I see J&G Sales has a couple of underfolder AK's at good prices, so thinking they might be Zastava imports I quickly scan the ad and...nope. "Assembled by Century" just as I feared.

Nevermind....

The Yugos are one of the few things that Century does right - because they farmed out the building to someone else. Rumor has it that the builder is Two Rivers Arms, who are known for building some pretty nice Tabuk clones.

• Like 1

Can you even walk a real rifle with real recoil?

Yup, takes a fair amount of practice.

However a home made reduced travel trigger was my favorite. You could walk/bump it pretty easy, and it looked less stupid.

The bump stocks are better at making smooth fake automatic. If either of the companies had taken my idea for a sliding front grip with adjustable detent stops, we would have a working "burst mode" rather than just bullet hoses.

I made a few.

One with a long two finger trigger, it was made using the stock saiga trigger the part with the sear, and a bent piece of rod for the double finger portion.

I ran it without the trigger guard, which I don't recommend.. Overall it was fairly effective, however once I started screwing around with bump stocks I pulled it out.

That one I could walk like a paintball gun.

The other is the reduced travel, which is just an altered G2. You weld over travel stops and file them ever so slowly until it just functions.. Or buy an RSA adjustable. 

I prefer the welded one because its cheaper for me, and since its welded its less likely to loosen after a lot of shooting.

This one is "walked" in this way:

Shoulder the firearm, take your trigger hand off the grip, point through the trigger guard with just your index finger keeping your hand free of the grip, and shake your arm back and forth quickly making your finger bounce off the trigger.

It works on most semi autos including .22 (back when that was cheap) and sounds like a machine gun. It also is a great way to get your thumb smashed by the bolt.

Bump firing stopped being exciting about 4K rounds in. So now I just shoot normally, working on groups rather than patterns.