Ok, I'm finnally putting together a shtf bag.I'm gonna put all my stuff in a pack and some stuff on a gunbelt.

I'm not worried bout being seen with a gun so anything goes. So far the choices that i have in my safe are:

Ruger mini-14,Ruger bolt action 308 lightweight,M-1 carbine,Winchester 30-30,Saiga 410,or HK USC 45 carbine.A shotgun is not out of the question.My backup is a Colt 1911. This is for mostly rural area in NC. Im already gonna be wearing a pack and gunbelt so i dont wanna go too heavy, but, i wanna have enough power to get

the job done at mostly short range. Longest shot would be across a hayfield. So anyway, from the choices what would you guys pick???

-At shorter ranges, <100 yards, the 30-30 is a must for repeated sustained fire. (Think Alamo) You don't have to worry about carrying/re-loading/losing magazines for it. Plus it's compact.

-If you got lots of mags, go with an x39 AK over that.

-Either of those & the Colt with lots 'o mags & ammo for both.

-A 12 gauge would be nice too, but how much you want to carry?

I keep all my ammo & mags in 30mm plastic ammo boxes. They're waterproof & easy to carry. If we have to vacate quickly, they're all ready to go.

Hey dodge, what's your zombie survival guide suggest? :lolol:

:smoke:

Edited by dinzag

Is ammunition going to be an issue? If it is, the HK might be the choice since your backup is the 1911, you only have to carry one type of ammo. If it isn't, few things beat the simplicity of a good old bolt action. Simple to operate and simple to clean and maintain. I hunt in Alaska and the last thing I want to be doing is unfucking my gun while trying to use it. Just my thought on that.

"A pistol is a defensive gun only good for getting back to a rifle"-- Rock the mini-14: higher capacity, rapid rate of fire, longer range than a pistol. I'd carry the 1911, the Mini, and a shotgun. The shotgun is best for close combat, while the pistol is a last resort, but do your dirty work with the rifle. However, if you're REALLY worried, take a 308 to get through body armor.

If you can-

1. pistol +50 rds.

2. An AK or the S-.410. + 200rds

3. An AR-7 and 500 rds.

If you can only take one -take a .30-06 bolt. With that you can get whatever you need.

If you are able, even with the pack, bring the .30-06 bolt ALSO-with 200rds.

G O B

Well so far im leaning towards the HK. Im gonna get a grease gun mag kit and several high cap mags.

For around hear i think the 45 would be good enough. If i want i can carry the 308 for more power.This is kinda going to be a backup pack and gun for my dad's bag and gun. He has a 1911 and a Marlin 45 carbine with his.They take the same mags. Any more input would be great though.

I am no fan of Stoner designs, however everyone should have an AR-7. A .22 will keep you fed, and deal with dogs for almost no weight, and is easily quieted. The AR-7 is waterproof when put away in the stock, floats and packs nicely.

Also-You need to asess the likely SHTF scenario for your area. A rural pack should be much different than an urban or suburban one. However I would recommend the AR-7 for all of them.

G O B

If your carbine shoots decent groups +/- 3" @ 100 yards, with surplus ammo, go for that. Ammo and magazines are everywhere, light-weight, and generally very handy.

That would leave you plenty of room for extra mags of 45 for your back-up pistol, not to mention rations/maps/medical supplies/other necessary items. Take a look at the US Army survival manual. It should give you some good ideas.

This is purely my thought on the subject: Unless you are a soldier, your only job is to survive. Extricating yourself and those you are responsible for is the number one priority. Keeping yourself and them alive is second. Fighting back (if even possible ie. natural disasters) is a good distance down the list.

In most SHTF scenarios, the LAST thing you want to do is broadcast your location with gunfire. Discharging a weapon in defense is a last resort, and obtaining dinner is nobody's business but your own!

G O B

Yeah. Which is why it confuses me that guns seem to be the most often talked about thing regarding SHTF scenarios. If I didn't make it clear earlier, I was talking about the M1 carbine. In fact, if that was the choice in question, I might not even feel the need for a pistol.

A good knife on the other hand... Well, that's another story.

Building up a set of survival skills is always more useful than building up an armory. If nothing else, knowing that you've at least read through what to do in order to start a fire, build a shelter, cross a river, etc. gives you confidence. According to what I've heard/read, an apropriate attitude is the most important thing one can have in a life or death situation.

You planning on walking? You can carry a lot more .223 than .308. Think light and collapsable - like a Kel-Tec SU16, or the folder on the Mini 14. With hollowpoints, .223 will do the job if you do your part.

For that reason, a high-cap 9mm would also be preferable. Actually, if you have an autoloading rifle, you really won't need a fighting pistol. I would rather have a .22/.22mag Ruger Single-Six with a variety of ammo, including some sub-sonics (like Aguila 60-grain). Those things will get you food without waking up the woods. You can carry a LOT of .22/.22mag ammo for the weight. If you can, never fire the .223, even hunting. A .22 will take a deer if you know where to shoot, especially with those 60-grain solids. Single-Sixs have convertible cylinders, so you can put .22 mag in for self-defense (out of a 6" barrel, they are not nice to be shot with).

Otherwise, you need to be thinking about water purification, and the cold, and decent boots, and antibiotics, snares for small game. You need medicine for a condition? You wear glasses? That sort of thing. You will have to spend money to get a good internal frame backpack, but it will be worth it.

I promise you, once you start carrying all that crap, you will be looking for light firepower.

Edited by roscoe

Of the choices you mentioned, I would go with the Mini-14. Get some 5.56 ammo loaded to military pressures , it has a somewhat more effective range than regular .223 Rem, and the Mini is made to run on this stuff. Although the cartridge leaves a lot to be desired at distances beyond 100 yards, it is devastating within that zone, there are very good reasons why our military still uses this cartridge. The Mini is not known as the most accurate rifle out there, but they are reliable. And I agree, the best way to be prepared for SHTF may be other preparation such as adequate food/water other survival gear. I think New Orleans showed us that having a firearm and alternate communications methods such as GMRS radios are a good idea when things get out of control.

Edited by elokoman

In planning for a SHTF scenario, you need to first determine what sorts of situations you are MOST likely to find yourself in (urban unrest, natural disaster, terrorist attack [We all fit into this catagory!], breakdown of civil society, attack of the zombies[sORRY!], etc.). From there, who will be dependent on you (infants, toddlers, teenagers, the elderly, person with chronic illness, your in-laws :unsure: , etc.)? Next, what are your most reasonable courses of action (shelter-in-place, evacuate via vehicle, evacuate on foot, to a cabin in the woods, to a hotel/motel)? Have a primary plan, an alternate plan and a contingency plan! Water? Food? Killing you own can be a bit iffy! As a relative on mine has pointed out, deer tracks make an awfully thin soup! :up: ! How about some cans of Dinty Moore or some MRE's! Shelter? Clothing including warm gear. Flashlights & batteries. Meds, spare glasses, diapers & baby food! And for how long? The list goes on & on!!!

Somewhere in there, you'll begin thinking about firearms. Will you be collecting food, defending my home & family (for us, Hurricane Floyd was a wake-up call and Katrina was reinforcement) or both? Handgun, long gun or both? Will an M1-A or an 'Evil Black Rifle' create a panic or draw too much attention?

Now, after all that wind: I'll be carrying a PG-converted 7.62X39 Saiga w/1.5-5 Simmons Pro-Diamond scope and several different styles of ammo along with an EAA Witness full-size in 9mm & 124 Gold Dot +P's. My wife will be carrying a .410 Coach Gun and a .22LR Taurus revolver.

Well guys, alot of great ideas on here.I realise the probs with water and food and im working on that.I've got a im gonna hopefully order this week like water purifier, several clothing items, a couple nice surefire flashlights, and some other stuff. I've got a 2 page list that me and dad compiled and hes a outdoorsy/suvivalist type of guy so i think we have thais stuff covered. The pack i bought is a Maxpedition Falcon 2 with the molle webbing on the back and sides.Ive got alot of stuff in the pouches attatched to the outside of it and i havent even put anything in it yet!!!!!!! So i think ill have enough room for everything. So thanks for the info so far guys.Keep it coming!!!!! :up:

Setting aside all other things ans looking only at the firearms issue, consider the following:

Mission (what are you going to be using the 'shooter' for).

Ease of maintenance/need for maintenance (bolt guns and AK's excell, AR's like to be attended to A LOT!)

Reliability.

What you use the best and are most comfortable with (to me, a MAJOR consideration! If you use a Marlin 30/30 levergun daily, that should be one of your first choices!).

The same thought apply to your sidearm!

Do your homework well and you'll be able to handle a SHTF situation much more easily! Enjoy your planning! :D

I am starting to get the impression SHTF situations sneak up on you. Check out this narrative:

http://www.clairewolfe.com/wolfesblog/arg.html

Very interesting read.

It seems (to me anyway) that Katrina changed the psyche of the American people. We now expect FEMA/the government to come our rescue in the case of a disaster. It doesn't necessarily need to be a disaster to effect the way we live. Especially with all the stuff going on in the world today. I heard some analyst on the morning drive news radio speculate about gas prices if we attack Iran. He said prices would go up but demand would go down eventually because their would be less people driving due to the fact they would lose their jobs. Nice.

Meanwhile, the average American has no savings and keeps purchasing things they don't really need with credit. (I'm just as guilty.)

I've put my household on a get out of debt mode, ASAP. We've also been buying some extra stuff every week to slowly build up.

How's about if one of the underground radical Muslim groups manages to detonate a smuggled in dirty or suitcase nuke in one of the major metropolitan areas here? :eek:

Would make the anarchy after Katrina look like a pre-school playground tussle. :wacko:

A total breakdown of civilazation does not need a terrorist bomb HERE. They are increasingly targeting the energy supply. $5 a gallon gasoline will cause a large part of the working class into desperation. Workers cannot get to work, EVERYTHING stops working. No trucks running, NOTHING gets to market. How many days of food supply do you think is available at your nearby grocery stores! 30 day deficit of the oil supply = chaos. 60 day delay= disaster. 90 day loss of oil supply and you had better have a LOT of ammo. Hungry people are disagreeable. Starving people have nothing to loose.

G O B