We have legal open carry long or hand gun here in SW Oregon, but I for one feel very concerned if I do not personally know the person doing the open carrying. Yeah, it is a conditional thing. Understand that here in Josephine County, we have a whopping ONE patrol deputy for the entire unincorporated county area of around 65000 population. Just one.

My feeble point is that we are already at a Dodge City or Tombstone level of law enforcement, which means we have NONE. Zip. The closest meaningful help would come from the Oregon State Police and they are HOURS away in any strength....and read that as just maybe 2 to 4 officers...in TOTAL. Regional political situation too complicated to describe. HB of CJ (old coot)

I'm legally allowed to and am not "bothered" by seeing others do it.  Don't do it myself unless I'm in the boonies.

As far as the poll, yeah, whatever.

• Like 2

I don't like all the attention so I don't do it normally. It doesn't make me nervous at all when I see someone else doing it but I do tend to wonder to myself what his motivation is. Is he trying to make a point, get attention, or just exercise his right. Just a little game I play. Maybe that's why I'm uncomfortable doing it without a reason, because I think other people are thinking the same thing. I wish it was common enough that I didn't feel self conscience while open carrying or I would do it more.

• Like 3

. IT'S MY RIGHT!

If that's your only reason for open carry then you really should examine your goals. If your goal is just to assert your manhood, I suggest finding the biggest guy in the bar and insulting his girlfriend. If your goal is to be armed in case the worst happens, then wouldn't you be more effective if people didn't know you were carrying?

You and me don't matter in this equation. Neither does the brady bitch and her kind. The ones that matter are all the ones in between. If they're with us, the left will never be able to take our rights. If they're against us, we'll never be able to hold on to them.

I just ask all reasonable gun owners to be aware of how our actions affect all the "regular" people who we need on our side.

• Like 1

. IT'S MY RIGHT!

If that's your only reason for open carry then you really should examine your goals. If your goal is just to assert your manhood, I suggest finding the biggest guy in the bar and insulting his girlfriend. If your goal is to be armed in case the worst happens, then wouldn't you be more effective if people didn't know you were carrying?

You and me don't matter in this equation. Neither does the brady bitch and her kind. The ones that matter are all the ones in between. If they're with us, the left will never be able to take our rights. If they're against us, we'll never be able to hold on to them.

I just ask all reasonable gun owners to be aware of how our actions affect all the "regular" people who we need on our side.

Nail on the head

It would be nice to have the option here.

I have a few times wished I could carry a pistol openly. All are going to steel yards or buying used industrial machines.. Because all warehouse districts are seedy, if not the most violent areas in a city.. And the ones that are going out of business are normally in the worst areas.

I would get nervous, seeing someone with a rifle at a restaurant. But there are areas near me that its perfectly logical to carry a firearm. 

I open carry most of the time. If a bg has me in his sights then I'm in a tight spot open carry or not, and don't really see a benefit either way in a scenario like that. If anything it may stir the pot and get them thinking about how many others are packing. Maybe not.

To be honest, most criminals are too dumb to notice my gun when so many people have smart phones holstered to their hips.

I prefer to hip carry. More comfortable for me, and I really don't want to be fumbling around with clothes in the way while trying to draw from the small of my back or under a shirt. Just my thoughts.

When my son open carries it makes me laugh.  I think that when you have a CC it's stupid when simply trying to prove a point.  Mine is always CC.  Even when I go to the range, my CC stays where it's at and I practice with it as is.

• Like 1

I don't have anything to prove. I carry in a manner that I feel the most comfortable doing. It has nothing to do with being "macho" or other gay shit like that. I don't carry a gun to feel manly. I wont carry uncomfortably to appease other gun owners. Im not trying to make friends or win people over when I carry. I carry one to protect me and mine. The manner in which I do so is my preference. But I laugh at guys that seem to think I HAVE to carry concealed.

Lots of good points here, as usual. My thoughts are that if you want to be a gun rights activist there are many great ways to get involved, ordering a cheeseburger with an AR just to make a point will not get the type of results you are looking for. You may be changing minds, but not in a good way. If you are just looking for attention open carry your dick.

• Like 1

I open carry as much as possible, especially while working, I've had A LOT of undocmented democrat voters come into our back yard at the shop where we keep a large number of used pumps and parts and want the "scrap iron". That said, sometimes I'll just throw on a short sleeved shirt, unbuttoned and cover it up, if need be, but down here in the south, the summer time is a miserable bitch, and even putting on the extra shirt makes it even worse, but business' here can also not alow open carry, so you have to cover it up, or get charged with trespass. If at the mall or big store with the wife, I will cover it up, just to keep down the shit, and also don't really like being a a big crowd with it showing, but even thru the shirt, you can still tell what it is and that it's there.

My grand daughter asked me why I always carry my gun, I told her I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it, because there are BG's out there and they will do you harm, they don't care about you or anyone else, and the main reason is that I'm getting too damn old to fight and maybe take an ass whooping, maybe 30 years ago, I'd throw it to the ground and we'd get it on, but now, it seems like every bone in my body hurts, except for the main one. :)

Open carry doesn't bother me, and NO, I don't do it because I can or to prove my manhood, but because it's my right if I choose to excersize it, but it does make some people uncomfortable, and when asked why I do, I try to explain it to them, "use it or loose it", but also like every of thing, there's times and places to do it, and there's also times and places not to do it. It's common sence, which isn't so common any more.

No, but it makes many others including the police nervous.  If it was done all the time by a large segment of society it would become an accepted norm with less fuss.  It's controversial for sure.  Just check out Home Depot's open carry day response by both sides of the issue.

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/25670601/nra-actions-of-open-carry-supporters-are-downright-foolishness

Open carry of rifles is much different from pistols, and sends a different message in its own right. But with that said, it don't bother me much, depending on how they are carried.

I rarely have a gun with me (as far as anyone knows) unless I’m going shooting and then it’s cased or bagged till I get to the range.

I don’t need that much attention or protection at 60.

If I feel like I need attention I’ll just put on a Speedo and go out, that generally gets me left all to hell alone too and makes other people nervous.

This may sound stupid, but here goes.  

Open carry of a rifle, slung over your back, doesnt bother me at all.  Open carry of a rifle in the front is a bit more threatening and couild potentially freak people out.  Whether at an open carry rally, or just walking down the road to your hunting spot,  with your rifle slung behind your back or your pistol in a holster anywhere, you weapon must look secure.  For some, just the fact of seeing a gun in public makes them shit their pants, they are morons.  However, carrying as if we are in a war zone makes us look like morons.

If people could refrain from playing with their weapons in public, we would all be better off.  Concealed carry does not mean holding a pistol with your hand inside your jacket, open carry of a pistol does not mean carrying in your hand, and open carrying a rifle does not mean having it at the ready in front of you. 

I think open carry rallies when carried out should be well organized and places of public property, and not private business.

Individuals participating should do their best to look professional. I don't mean dress up in your tactical gear. I mean business casual like going to a lunch meeting, or maybe any other outing where you want to look less than fanatical

Hello

Open carry of pistols for myself makes me nervous because I worry about some crackhead/thug getting the drop on me and pinching my custom 1911 or whatever from me. Might as well walk around with two or three $500 bills flapping from my belt.

Open carry for someone else doesn't really bother me, and I encourage anybody who feels they should be doing it. I personally would not, however.

JMHO.....

Guido in Houston

• Like 1

Open carry makes me really nervous, and outright scares the wife. I look and see guys carrying Springfield XDMs, a few big bore revolvers, some tricked out 1911's, all in a good carry setup and it makes me want to buy more for myself! I get home and immediately start shopping on the internet. I simply cant afford all the guns I would like to, and open carry makes it all the more obvious!

Edited by mostholycerebus

The question is: 
"

Do you support open-carry gun laws in restaurants and retail stores?"

It doesn't say if said law would allow or deny open carry.

Beware.No matter how this comes out, it'll be their way.

I didn't realize until just now that they did this in a Home Depot on memorial day weekend. That is, by far, the busiest weekend at HD.... At least it was when I worked there years ago. Poor place of venue and timing no matter what side of the issue you're on.

Open carry makes me really nervous, and outright scares the wife. I look and see guys carrying Springfield XDMs, a few big bore revolvers, some tricked out 1911's, all in a good carry setup and it makes me want to buy more for myself! I get home and immediately start shopping on the internet. I simply cant afford all the guns I would like to, and open carry makes it all the more obvious!

The guys I see open carrying generally are wearing holsters that would make it easy for me to take their gun from them while they were shopping... That's one reason I don't like it, but it doesn't scare me.  Just happened to think of that since you mentioned "good carry setup"... I've yet to see one used.

I carry my Kimber Ultra in a Blackhawk Level II holster. I don't believe the gun can be "snatched" out, I've all but tore up the holster trying to pull the gun out, but ya never know, if someone wants it bad enough, maybe they could get it, but there'd be one hell of a fight going on, and I also try to always keep my head on a swivel and watch my surroundings.

Seems every time an org in our camp does the stupid thing while trying to do the right thing the odds are very good of finding a fed or proxy in the wood pile.

Not every time of course but more often than we like to think.

Someone certainly is giving some very dicey advice to some well intentioned people.

Well depending on the goal any way.