Target ISIS: First batch of Russian fighter jets arrives in Iraq

The first delivery of Russian Sukhoi fighter jets arrived in Iraq on Saturday, the country’s Defense Ministry said. Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki is hoping the jets will make a key difference in the fight against ISIS.

The Iraqi Ministry of Defense on Sunday confirmed receiving five Su-25 fighter jets in accordance with the deal with Moscow. The jets were delivered by a Russian An-124 transport plane in a dismantled state, and are expected to be set up and become operational within 3-4 days. 

“The Sukhoi Su-25 is an air-ground support and anti-terrorism mission aircraft. In these difficult times, we are in great need of such aircraft. With God’s help, we will be able to deploy them to support our ground forces on a mission against the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant militants within the next 3-4 days,”Iraqi Army Lieutenant General Anwar Hamad Amen Ahmed told RT’s Ruptly news agency at an airport receiving the jets. 

According to Ahmed, Iraq will wage a “massive attack” on insurgents with the help of the jets.

“We have experienced pilots and other professionals. Our Russian friends have also sent their own experts to assist us in preparing the aircraft. All the logistics have been planned for as well,” the lieutenant general said. 

Earlier, Iraqi MP Abbas al-Bayati was quoted as saying by local media that ten Russian jets have been delivered, with Iraqi media identifying them as Su-24s. However, the conflicting information has not been confirmed by other sources.

The fighter jets will be stationed at an airbase located in the southern part of the country, PressTV reported, citing military sources.

Earlier this week, Prime Minister Nouri Maliki revealed that Iraq purchased jets from Russia and Belarus in order to help its fight against Sunni militants from the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIS/ISIL).

READ MORE: ISIS crucify eight anti-Assad fighters in Syria – watchdog

At the same time, Maliki criticized the US for taking too long to deliver on its own contract after Iraq purchased F-16 jets from America.

On Friday, Iraqi Air Force Commander Hameed al-Maliki confirmed the shipment of MI-35 and MI-28 Russian helicopter fighters to "keep the momentum" in the attacks against ISIS, Ruptly reported.

The commander said that he signed three contracts with the Russians and stressed the importance of the choppers as "excellent anti-terrorism weapons."

The radical Sunni ISIS militants have taken large parts of the country's north from the Shia government. 

Things you need to know about ISIS and what is happening in Iraq

Hundreds of Iraqi soldiers have been killed by insurgents since the Sunni militants began their offensive on June 9, according to Iraqi forces.

The United Nations says more than 1,000 people – mainly civilians – have been killed during the surge thus far.

One word for the Russian Puke's "Stinger"

Edited by jerry52
At the same time, Maliki criticized the US for taking too long to deliver on its own contract after Iraq purchased F-16 jets from America.

The Russians are apparently faster in their deliveries. The US has to go through a whole long process taking several months to a couple years.. Russia delivers in days to weeks. 

And yes the SU25 is basically a Russian A10. 

Isn't ISIS the same group they are trying to supply weapons to in Syria?

(I edited my post because I am fuzzy on the current ME situation).

• Like 1

The Russians are apparently faster in their deliveries. The US has to go through a whole long process taking several months to a couple years.. Russia delivers in days to weeks. 

I think its the other side in syria

You get more buck for the bang that wayhaha.gif

It is the same group our government is supplying, and have supplied weapons to in Syria.

The FSA, Al-Qaeda and ISIS are one in the same.

I think its funny how our government rogue agencies create threats, then let them run wild, then make a big deal about how we have to stop these terrorists and surrender our liberties in the process.

Edited by Captain Hero
  • Like 2

It is the same group they supplied weapons to in Syria.

I was under the impression Russia was supporting the Syrian government.

And isis was fighting against the government

Its a shit storm

My company literally abandoned billions of dollars in assets and property thanks to ISIS. If they keep pouring through Iraq so unchallenged we are going to see a rise in fuel prices. I can guarantee that. Granted we here in the us don't buy much from Iraq but if the situation continues to get out of hand and oil companies like mine have to walk away from such major investments they will have to charge more for what they extract. Not to mention there is OPEC who will raise prices on a whim let alone a serious geopolitical threat. I say I'm glad the Iraqis got themselves some planes, I just hope they don't decide to use them to fly away from the problem.

I need some kind of chart or terrorist family tree to keep up with this stuff.  Complete with notes about who sold what to who, and who hates who, why.  The problem is that as soon as it was created it would be outdated. 

• Like 4

I seem to recall the Russians getting their asses handed to them at least once by a bunch of goatfukers.........err   wait....ummm  never mind, that was the CIA creating Osama binladin  electric_shock.gif  

I'm glad they got the planes. I'd hate to see the country taken over by extremist Muslims.

This situation is so ironic, it's sickening.

"Dickhead", in the Oval Office, pulls out of Iraq because he doesn't want to be associated with a "Bush War". The Russians swoop in and save the beliguired war torn country. Now Putin has another puzzle piece on the chess board.

Obama is putting the US in a very isolated geopolitical situation.

I'm gonna make a prediction...as our influence on the world stage desentigrates, there WILL be horrendous terrorist attacks here at home by every small group or nation that ever wanted to make a name for itself.

We will become a smoldering shell of who we were.

Our economic hasn't completely collapsed yet but, it will, and soon.

Prepare the best you can, in all aspects.

God help us.

• Like 1

Lets make this clear the SU25 is a pile of crap next to an A10.

I do not think( hell I know ) they are not in the same ball park .

When you build a airplane around the most advanced 30 mm auto cannon in the world it is a 10 to 1 bet. 10 su25's to one A 10.

By the looks of the SU25's they have some miles on them.

God help them! They will need it with that shit.

• Like 1

With our luck the people in Iraq receiving these planes will pull a Houdini and the planes will disappear. Then a few years from now all these gifts from different countries will be used against us by the Muslim army that has formed from ISIS

It sickens me as well to see Russia providing the hardware that WE should be supplying. I do not share the view that the Iraq and Afghanistan wars were for nothing or that we lost. To take that view is to cheapen the sacrifice of every American serviceman and woman who lost their lives in those conflicts. I know that many on this board served in both theaters. In my opinion, we won both wars, although I admit the rebuilding process is long and requires strength of presence. It is due to this sorry administration that we are in the current losing position. Damn all this administration to hell!

What would Europe look like if we cut and run after WW2? I guarantee every nation including Great Britain would be speaking Russian, and Cold War Comblock would rule the world. What sickens me the most, is we are choosing the same "bread lines" of communism not through Com block military domination, but through the ballot box.

I still believe in the ideals of the founding of this nation. It is not an isolationist ideal, but "peace through strength", because history has shown us that the weak, who will not stand up for themselves, will be persecuted and exploited, until people that say "No More!!!" stand up, and choose to fight the hard fight, and defend the weak. That is the very spirit that the 2nd Amendment is founded upon. I am ashamed of what this nation has become, and I place the blame squarely on this President, his administration, and the idiots who blindly approve of the job he is doing. It is time to say, "No More!!"

• Like 1

I hear you and am really pissed off about this! But let the Ruskies  waste their time with this SU25 shit.

These are old planes that are on their last legs. Stingers will get them out of active duty real soon.

God bless all who have served on this July 4th.

Lets make this clear the SU25 is a pile of crap next to an A10.

I do not think( hell I know ) they are not in the same ball park .

Yeah, Not the same. The frogfoot is more akin to a modern IL2 Sturmovik. It can take a lot of damage and carry a lot of bombs.

I saw a documentary on a squadron after the motherland took a dump. They could only fly a couple hours a month and the pilots hadn't been paid in months. 

The condition of the planes was abysmal, they were beat all to hell.

Good thing all the Stingers we sell/give away/loose have NATO/Israeli IFF codes programmed in.  Ask Hamass how well they worked against the IAF.  Hamass was pissed when the missiles wouldn't lock, or if they did launch, the missile would lose lock and crash.

If ISIS picked up any of those stingers we lost in Bengazi, those SU-25's are going to have a hard time!

Don't under estimate the frogfoot when comparing it to the A10. It's built to withstand just as much punishment, has a nice 20 mm gun, can carry tons of ordinance, is highly maneuverable, can fly low and slow, has a titanium bathtub for pilot and unlike the A10, can go supersonic. The whole stinger issue in Afghanistan effected the choppers, not so much the frogfoots. By every account, this plane is just as good, and in some areas better than the A10. Read up on it.

• Like 1

on the supply side I don't think I want to put any more of my tax dollars (buy them F16s) in that part of the world till they kill each other off some more

they hate us now, so piss on it let them beat each other to death for a while and then bomb the winners off the face of the planet

Iraq is a lost cause like most of that part of the planet due to the maps made after WWI

they go by religion, tribe, and family not countries as laid out on a piece of paper 

a butt load of one side or the other is going to have to die for this to end

and in the end they'll still hate us so let Putin pay for the slaughter

Russia sold the jets along with contracting repair and maintenance service, training pilots and everything else..

They are going to make a lot of money on that deal, while adding to the chess board.

It was well played..

Russia sold the jets along with contracting repair and maintenance service, training pilots and everything else..

They are going to make a lot of money on that deal, while adding to the chess board.

It was well played..

depends on who wins and what kind of new government comes next

it might work out well and it might not

they might just piss both sides off

They said it would take a few days to assemble the aircraft.

What do you want to bet that the first few sorties will be flown by Russian pilots, just to get the momentum going.

Russia has had it's problems with Muslim extremists, unlike our POTUS who has been cozying up to them.

Don't under estimate the frogfoot when comparing it to the A10. It's built to withstand just as much punishment, has a nice 20 mm gun, can carry tons of ordinance, is highly maneuverable, can fly low and slow, has a titanium bathtub for pilot and unlike the A10, can go supersonic. The whole stinger issue in Afghanistan effected the choppers, not so much the frogfoots. By every account, this plane is just as good, and in some areas better than the A10. Read up on it.

Ive always liked the Sukhoi planes. As much as I love the a-10's, I rather enjoy the speed and handling characteristics this plane has.

But its hard to say how advanced of a model they delivered to them. It likely wasnt a variant they would be using for their own military.

It's a safe bet to say that the versions they sold to Iraq lack the new targeting systems.  Probably something more like what the Russians were flying in the 90's before they rebuilt their air force.  Even so, it's one hell of a plane.  

• Like 1