Tony Stewart Hits and Kills Driver on Racetrack

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dude seriously.... Do you actually believe a true professional champion NASCAR driver like Stewart is would ever in a million years try to intentionally hit another driver (out of his car) with intent

Stupid hurts.  You don't get out of your car until the safety crew arrives.  Every driver knows that.  You don't run out in front of moving cars.  Every person with a functional brain cell knows that.

Many Nascar drivers, especially Stewart, have jumped out of their wrecked cars on the track to "scold" the "offending" driver as they passed by under caution. Many people thought Stewart was a "hero"

Dude seriously.... Do you actually believe a true professional champion NASCAR driver like Stewart is would ever in a million years try to intentionally hit another driver (out of his car) with intent to harm him???  Come on really...   rolleyes.gif

The idiot got hit because he climbed out of his car and stormed out onto the track like a pissed off rookie who thought he was bulletproof. Not smart, ESPECIALLY at night wearing a dark suit and while the whole field is speeding through the area on a small dimly lit dirt track. Stupity.... dude screwed up trying that little tantrum like he did, It was an accident.

I think the feel good liberal controlled media should be asking the rest of the drivers what they thought about having a driver standing in front of them out on the track as they passed by.

• Like 10

I agree that the driver who got out of his car made a big mistake.  However, I think Tony saw him, tried to come as close as he could without hitting him to send him a message but got a little too close.  Like a major league pitcher trying to throw a little chin music to a guy who is mouthing off at the plate, but he gets a little too close and hits him when he really just wanted to send a STFU message.

• Like 2

Stupid hurts.  You don't get out of your car until the safety crew arrives.  Every driver knows that.  You don't run out in front of moving cars.  Every person with a functional brain cell knows that.

Running out on a dark track in front of race cars with no headlights is epic stupid.

This is a Darwin Award.

I am not a Stewart fan.  I am not a Stewart hater.  I'm just putting the blame where it belongs.  On the idiot.

And I would say the same if it was Johnson.  And I fucking HATE Johnson.

• Like 9

Many Nascar drivers, especially Stewart, have jumped out of their wrecked cars on the track to "scold" the "offending" driver as they passed by under caution. Many people thought Stewart was a "hero" a couple years ago at Bristol, when he threw his helmet at another drivers car. Kurt Busch (imo) should have been banned for life for all the dangerous crap he did a few years ago, including jumping out of his car while it was still in gear, sending it uncontrolled down into pit lane!

In this instance, there was another car in front of Stewart as he passed by, and he might not have seen Ward until he was almost next to him. Sprint cars are steered with the throttle as much as the wheel, so IF Stewart wanted to accelerate past him, or rev. the engine at him, it could have easily turned the car sideways without wanting to. I do NOT believe that Stewart would have wanted to injure someone deliberately!

I think Stewart will be facing a big lawsuit from Ward's family, and probably charges over this. "Involuntary or Vehicular Manslaughter" would be my guess.

I sincerely hope this marks the END for to the on-track "drama" that Nascar has been tolerating/promoting for the last few years. A driver should NEVER get out of their car until the safety crew is on-hand, and they should NEVER attempt to approach a moving car on the track. Stupid, Stupid, Stupid, and now someone has died because of it.

• Like 6

Looks to me like an unfortunate chain of events based on bad decisions by both Stewart and the other driver. The guy should have never got out of his car and Stewart should have never goose the gas (IMO he just intended a "fuck you" by doing it) playing with the guy.

They both made poor choices and now one of them is dead. That's racing.

• Like 3

Bullshit.  Tony didn't goose his engine.  He was just moving to the outside of the other car. 

Even if he knew who wrecked and why there isn't any reason for him to "send a message". 

He had no reason to think there was an idiot on the track.  It looks like Tony may have seen the idiot at the last instant and tried to swerve.

Drivers don't look for idiots on the track because there aren't supposed to be idiots on the track.

This was not two people making bad decisions.  It was one moron making epic stupid decisions and he paid with his life. 

• Like 3

At first (due to the usual media lynch mobs...) I too after watching the vid thought he prolly did a quick rev as a fuck you. (Like fuck you for doing this?) I recently saw something else which leads me to believe that was not even Tony's car revving but another car going by the camera.

Keep in mind also this was a dirt track. Everyone knows how quickly you can skid out on a track like that. Also it may look slightly lit up on the film but remember cameras pick up more light than what is available to the drivers, who BTW are having to watch the rest of the field around them and through dirty lexan at that. Then take into account the driver who swerved first to avoid the idiot prolly swerved right into Tony's path so that's what he was likely looking at.

I sincerely hope this marks the END for to the on-track "drama" that Nascar has been tolerating/promoting for the last few years.

A driver should NEVER get out of their car until the safety crew is on-hand, and they should NEVER attempt to approach a moving car on the track.

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid, and now someone has died because of it.

This 100%

• Like 1

Well, since none of us internet people were there we may never know if Stewart revved at him, and consequently lost control of his car, or not... BUT.. Considering the entire field EXCEPT the car involved with the accident managed to miss the guy, and Stewart's car seems to be going quite a bit quicker than the rest of the field after a full lap had gone by, I'm going to say it was him.

Call bullshit all you want.. I don't think he intentionally mowed the dude down, but we all know how calm and collected Stewart is as a "professional"...

• Like 1

I have looked at the video over and over, it "APPEARS" that TS swerved at him, I'm probably wrong, but that's how it looks to me.

I too have watched the video repeatedly. I think there are two misconceptions. 1. Stewart hit the other car and put it into the wall, look again, Stewart was ahead and had the line and while he did move up the other driver drove into the wall as he too moved up. 2. Stewart swerved at the guy, what I saw was as you hear the throttle pick up, the rear of the car slips to the left (away from the driver not toward). Since we haven't seen a video from the other side of the car to offer perspective, what if the other driver stepped toward Stewart's car to flip him off / gesture at him and Stewart was attempting to get away from and not into the other driver??

Edited by Inspector 12

I read a ton of BS comments on the blaze about this.  I also watched the video several times.  I have to say is that I do not believe that TS meant to hit him, let alone kill him.

Did he give the throttle a squirt?  Looks possible.  If fuck nugget was close enough at that point to get hit by this then he was wayyyy too fucking close.  

• Like 1

99.99% Ward's fault, .01% Stewart's (or anybody elses' just cause they happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time) 

I have raced and ran a race track for over 15 years. TS did absolutely NOTHING wrong , either causing the accident or the death of Ward.

Edited by toothandnail
  • Like 3

Yep, epic stupid of the guy dressed in black to run out on a dirt track at night.

I used to watch nascar and Tony was never my favorite. He could be cocky at times. But he didnt run that guy down on purpose.

That guy ran out into the racing traffic in and angry fit of rage and wasnt thinking. Stupid decision some times cost your life.

Sadly now he is has caused Tony grief to have to know he accidentally killed him.

Honestly, from the video it doesnt even really look like tony hit the dudes car. He appeared to be sliding into the wall as tony passed. Likely of his own mistake.  There is a lot of drifting involved in dirt racing.You cant just turn your car and go a different direction in a snap on dirt at those speeds.  Ive watched plenty of dirt track races. You cant really experience it till you see it in person at the stadium.  

it appears that Tony probably saw the guy at the last minute and drastically reduced his speed causing the car to wobble back and forth a little as it passed the dude. Just got caught by the back tire.

100% the guys fault that ran out on the track. Not only did he endanger himself but he endangered every other driver on that track. He could have caused a major pile up.  It looked like he almost ran right into the path of the guy in front of tony. Only luck that the other guy missed him too.  Most of the drivers that were in front of the guy or too far behind to see probably had no idea he had even spun out and were still going full speed around a very short track.

Very unfortunate that our media and most Americans love drama so much that they immediately start playing it up and dramatizing it like a soap opera. Trying to paint the person that hit the guy as the villain.  Without even knowing any of the facts. Much less anything about race car driving to begin with. Most of the people screaming wrong doing have probably never watched a single race in their life.

Ive looked around and i cant find any other videos or different angles. Probably best or they would really be playing this up.  better left to investigators before the media puts him on trial first.  I would just really like to see a better video though.  After watching it over and over i cant decide if that was the car in front that revved or Tony. It may not have come from either.  I also thought at first Tony was downshifting quickly causing him to wobble. But its possible he could have tried to give it a little gas to steer around the guy but missed.  Those car dont just turn on a dime on dirt and sometimes you have to give it gas to even turn.  He might have been trying to change course because he was unaware of which way idiot was going to run.

Edited by Chevyman097
  • Like 1

Looks like he tried to get clear when he saw Tony comming, but wasn't fast enough!  The gunning was from the car that passed before he was hit.  That's what I see from that video.

About the only time to leave the car before the safety crew arrives is if it's on fire!  The Nomex will help save you.....unless it's soaked in oil or fuel.

I don't know much about this kind of racing. What do they have against having good lighting on the track? As far as who's at fault......it's the driver who got out of his car UNLESS Stewart even so much as just tried to get close to him. If that's case then Stewart is guilty of manslaughter. It's against the law to kill stupid people, too.

I don't know much about this kind of racing. What do they have against having good lighting on the track? As far as who's at fault......it's the driver who got out of his car UNLESS Stewart even so much as just tried to get close to him. If that's case then Stewart is guilty of manslaughter. It's against the law to kill stupid people, too.

Most of these tracks are just stadium lighting. Think about ball field(not the NFL here, talking high school small town football field) at night..... but way bigger. These arnt Nascar races where tons of money is involved. Sure you can see the field pretty well.. But going around it at high rates of speed with lots of shadowing your head restricted to movement inside of a helmet with mud on your windshield.   Oh and dust and exhaust flying around all in the air like crazy.

ya visibility can get pretty hairy.

He probably didnt see him till it was too late.

even if there is a chance he was trying to "get close" he probably didnt know the kid was out of his car. (just for speculation sake) if he was just getting close, he probably was just swooping the car and revving it a little to show off. Now saying that would have been right or what happened. Just for scenario sake.

Its so unlikely that he saw the guy running around and steering into him its silly.

Edited by Chevyman097
  • Like 2

Yep, epic stupid of the guy dressed in black to run out on a dirt track at night.

I used to watch nascar and Tony was never my favorite. He could be cocky at times. But he didnt run that guy down on purpose.

That guy ran out into the racing traffic in and angry fit of rage and wasnt thinking. Stupid decision some times cost your life.

Sadly now he is has caused Tony grief to have to know he accidentally killed him.

Honestly, from the video it doesnt even really look like tony hit the dudes car. He appeared to be sliding into the wall as tony passed. Likely of his own mistake.  There is a lot of drifting involved in dirt racing.You cant just turn your car and go a different direction in a snap on dirt at those speeds.  Ive watched plenty of dirt track races. You cant really experience it till you see it in person at the stadium.  

it appears that Tony probably saw the guy at the last minute and drastically reduced his speed causing the car to wobble back and forth a little as it passed the dude. Just got caught by the back tire.

100% the guys fault that ran out on the track. Not only did he endanger himself but he endangered every other driver on that track. He could have caused a major pile up.  It looked like he almost ran right into the path of the guy in front of tony. Only luck that the other guy missed him too.  Most of the drivers that were in front of the guy or too far behind to see probably had no idea he had even spun out and were still going full speed around a very short track.

Very unfortunate that our media and most Americans love drama so much that they immediately start playing it up and dramatizing it like a soap opera. Trying to paint the person that hit the guy as the villain.  Without even knowing any of the facts. Much less anything about race car driving to begin with. Most of the people screaming wrong doing have probably never watched a single race in their life.

Ive looked around and i cant find any other videos or different angles. Probably best or they would really be playing this up.  better left to investigators before the media puts him on trial first.  I would just really like to see a better video though.  After watching it over and over i cant decide if that was the car in front that revved or Tony. It may not have come from either.  I also thought at first Tony was downshifting quickly causing him to wobble. But its possible he could have tried to give it a little gas to steer around the guy but missed.  Those car dont just turn on a dime on dirt and sometimes you have to give it gas to even turn.  He might have been trying to change course because he was unaware of which way idiot was going to run.

THIS ^ !!! 

The dumb ass should have stayed in his car.  However, it appeared to me that Tony Stewart hit the gas driving by and was probably trying to spray mud on the guy.  This seems negligent to me.  I think he is in deep shit when the civil suits are filed.

Don't get me wrong, if the dumbass would have stayed in his car, he would be drinking beer with his buddies bitching about Tony Stewart pushing him into the wall.

Sad story.

• Like 1

Ultimately I hope this doesn't do anything to effect the small track racing scene in a negative way. Small race tracks are getting closed all over the country as it is and people like Stewart are a big draw to the small tracks when they decide to swing by (Eldora is absolutely jam packed when he turns up... granted, that's his own track). If the civil suits go nuts the big dogs will stay home and attendance will continue to dry up.

I really don't have much interest in NASCAR, or the characters and vehicles in it, but I do enjoy racing... Especially at the level of competition where "every man" can go buy a car and go race if he wants. We need those small tracks so the weekend warriors can continue to promote motorsport as a lifestyle and hobby.

I ultimately believe that this was an accident and like all accidents it could have been easily avoided. 

Edited by Maxwelhse

The dumb ass should have stayed in his car.  However, it appeared to me that Tony Stewart hit the gas driving by and was probably trying to spray mud on the guy.  This seems negligent to me.  I think he is in deep shit when the civil suits are filed.

Don't get me wrong, if the dumbass would have stayed in his car, he would be drinking beer with his buddies bitching about Tony Stewart pushing him into the wall.

Sad story.

Hmmph.... Not what I saw at all but neither of us were there.

I have follwed Tony Stewart through his entire career though and do watch NASCAR. Was brought up best friends with a kid who's daddy raced the local dirt track back in the 70's so I know a bit about that scene as well. I'll just say I have watched Tony mature as a driver since his early hothead days, through the fence climbing celebrations after awesome driving, and the whole time he has progressed as a driver and a sportsman in every type of racing he's talented enough to kick ass in. I don't think he did one fucking thing wrong and this was nothing more than a completely stupid accident caused by one young dumbass buck who should have stayed his dumb ass in his car that he wrecked. Period. What sucks is instead he chose to endanger himself and everyone else by acting the fool and he got killed doing it. If anything good comes out of this BS it will be a permanent smackdown put on every dumbass who climbs out of his race car  and acts like that guy did... and of course hell yeah like Tony and many others have in the past. This is 2014.

Fuckit I am definitely biased just a bit as a Stewart fan and to the end. What really pisses me off about this whole fiasco though is the fact that the new age fucktard feel good libtard media is going to be playing it up in the now brewing shitstorm and demand that Tony PAY somehow for this accident he did NOT cause to happen! Same shit different day / sport..... It fucking blows ya'll and I too would feel the same if it was that F'n Johnson or Kurt Busch, Kevin Harvick, or any other driver on any circuit. People are already wanting Tony's head before the facts are even in yet...as it usually goes in nowaday's fucked up Merika.  unhappy.gif

• Like 2

Fuckit I am definitely biased just a bit as a Stewart fan and to the end. What really pisses me off about this whole fiasco though is the fact that the new age fucktard feel good libtard media is going to be playing it up in the now brewing shitstorm and demand that Tony PAY somehow for this accident he did NOT cause to happen! Same shit different day / sport..... It fucking blows ya'll and I too would feel the same if it was that F'n Johnson or Kurt Busch, Kevin Harvick, or any other driver on any circuit. People are already wanting Tony's head before the facts are even in yet...as it usually goes in nowaday's fucked up Merika.  unhappy.gif

Yep....pretty big Smoke fan myself, and its hard to look at this with unbiased eyes. I don't think TS is criminally responsible at all, like the sheriff has said. However, I do think he will have a pay a pretty large settlement to the family.

And I agree with every comment made about Ward getting out of his car. Actually, I don't mind him getting out of his car to make a point to Stewart. Driver's do it all the time, but they stay far enough away to not get hit. This dude started climbing down the track, and even had to dodge the first car that came by. I think emotions might have got the best of him. Hate that he died as a result of some really bad decision making, and I feel for his family. I just don't believe Stewart is responsible for his death. Plain and simple, dude would still be alive if he had not got out of his car and stood in the middle of the racetrack.

• Like 1

I am not a fan of car racing. I've looked in awe at the engine machine work my neighbor does for one of the teams (I forget who).

The guy walked into traffic on a dirt race track. Outside of racing his death would probably be considered an accident or suicide.

Any fool that leaves their car, unless it is on fire before safety arrives should be removed from the next several races for their gross disregard for safety.

If they cannot contain their anger enough to stay alive, they have no place in a dangerous sport.

But naturally the road rage is what sells, everyone wants reality TV.

Innocent / guilty / stupidly really doesn't matter at this point with one dead driver. This doesn't look good:

http://tampa.cbslocal.com/2014/08/11/tony-stewart-threatened-to-run-over-driver-2-years-ago-following-wreck/

Thats old nascar drama and has nothing to do with the current accident.  When him and Kenseth had their  little fling, it wasnt even intended to mean what they are trying to twist it to mean.  More media trying to hype this up and do what they do. its a witch hunt.

I am SCARED of race cars now!!!!!

They caused the DEATH of a human being!!!! I DEMAND that all race cars be banned!!!!!

If we cant BAN THEM, then they must be LIMITED in power!!! They can have no more than  a 100 CI displacement engine, and they MUST have fuzzy-foam bumpers 360 degrees around EVERY CAR ON EVERY TRACK!!!!!! Maximum speed will be no more than 20 MPH!!! and all cars must have a governor on their engine to guarantee this speed limit is adhered to!!!!

Too many race drivers are killed by race cars!!!!!   We MUST as responsible human beings make changes in this gruesome sport for the betterment of all who participate!!!!! If we can SAVE EVEN ONE LIFE... isn't this the path we MUST FOLLOW?!?!?!?!?! :up: :UP:

Gee that sounds oddly familiar.  Seems to me personal responsibility , and intelligence and education would just solve the whole issue... and maybe even work in the racing industry too... LOL :lol: