What's a reasonable stash of ammo?

I currently have about 200 rounds of 150gr SP and 400 rounds of 150gr FMJBT tucked away in milsurp ammo cans and I guess I consider this my 'base' supply - when I fire rounds out of this supply I replace it ASAP. I spent many years in the Army so for me a combat load is 270 rounds and a day at the range for my company was about 10,000 rounds. I have a couple of guys that I hunt with that think my 600 round stash is "kinda excessive and a little paranoid." Their way of doing things is just to swing by Wal-Mart on the way out to the range and pick up some rounds.

I was just wondering, am I just a crazy gun nut to have all those rounds? Should I have more? What do you guys typically keep on hand? I don't think I'm that strange for having an ammo stash (ammo costs are going nowhere but up, after all) but I'm the only one I know that normally has this many rounds. So am I weird? (my wife says yes, but she likes me that way)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello

I have two cases (980 rounds each?) of SA battlepacks, 3K rounds of Wolf, and 2K-3K of other (mostly Russian) stuff. Only 200 rounds of really high-quality stuff (100 Lake City, 100 Hornady TAP) in .308.

Enough is never enough.

Buy more.

guido2 in Houston

I am glad you brought this up because I have been meaning to do an inventory. The count follows and I think I am short in some areas so I would not listen to yoiur friends razzing you. Where do you think they are going for ammo when Wal-Mart is closed? You my friend. Be prepared for yourself and your buds.

.308 (6) 140 rd Battle Pack 840 rd

.308 (3) 200 rd Battle Pack 600 rd

.308 Black Talon 60 rd

.308 Match Grade 100 rd

.308 165 gr sp boat tail 240 rd

.223 XM193 500 rd

.223 M855 1,000 rd

5.7x28 SS195 1,500 rd

.243 Fed 90 rd

6mm PPC 130 rd

12 ga #00 Buck 85 rd

12 ga #1 Buck 25 rd

12 ga. Slug K.O. 150 rd

.45 WinMag 400 rd

.45ACP FMJ new 2,000 rd

.45ACP FMJ reload 1,500 rd

9mm reload 3,000 rd

.38 Special 750 rd

.22 Rimfire 1,000 rd

Hello

I buy (and stash) ammo with the mindset that it may have to last me from now on. I hate to have to depend on "the market availability" to be able to use my weapon(s).

If something happened legislatively or whatever and the clamps were suddenly put on ammo manufacture I bet the current supplies would be gone in a few hours. WTF would we do then?

Maybe I'm wierd but you just can't be TOO ready....

guido2 in Houston

I like to keep 1000 rds of everything I shoot.

Best rule of thumb I've heard is try to keep at least 500-1000 rounds of ammo around for what ever guns you shoot and plan on using in an emergency.

Added to that make sure you have at least 6 to 10 reliable mags for each firearm that needs them.

I currently have about 200 rounds of 150gr SP and 400 rounds of 150gr FMJBT tucked away in milsurp ammo cans and I guess I consider this my 'base' supply - when I fire rounds out of this supply I replace it ASAP. I spent many years in the Army so for me a combat load is 270 rounds and a day at the range for my company was about 10,000 rounds. I have a couple of guys that I hunt with that think my 600 round stash is "kinda excessive and a little paranoid." Their way of doing things is just to swing by Wal-Mart on the way out to the range and pick up some rounds.

I was just wondering, am I just a crazy gun nut to have all those rounds? Should I have more? What do you guys typically keep on hand? I don't think I'm that strange for having an ammo stash (ammo costs are going nowhere but up, after all) but I'm the only one I know that normally has this many rounds. So am I weird? (my wife says yes, but she likes me that way)

To have 2000-3000 rounds of 308 is about right in my estimation. Half of these are FMJ's that you would eventually use up for plinking, and the rest would be some sort of expanding bullet.

I also keep about 5000 rounds of 22 in stock at a given time.

My supplies of each dip down to maybe 1000 and 2000 at the end of the summer, but then I reload/restock. I personally think that if you are a serious shooter you NOT be needing to stop at walmart each time you go to the range.

I have a couple of guys that I hunt with that think my 600 round stash is "kinda excessive and a little paranoid." Their way of doing things is just to swing by Wal-Mart on the way out to the range and pick up some rounds.

At 600 rounds, you are just getting started. I think it is likely that your hunting buddies are a couple of Fudds. Remember also, that your combat load out from the military presupposes that you will have relatively easy access to resupply.

I start with building to 1000 rounds of good stuff and as much range ammo as I can afford, then i cycle through the good stuff as I add to it, until I get more than I can shoot through in few years or so. I've never really maxed out on anything but my pump shotgun (800-1000 rounds of buckshot). I think no more than 2000 rounds is reasonable for any of my handguns or 5000 rounds for my combat rifles. It isn't as much as I think I'd need if the SHTF, but with a family, that's a lot of inventory for 3 different calibers of rifle and 3 calibers of handguns. It also takes a long time to amass that at good prices.

Get as much as you feel comfortable with if you couldn't go to the store for a month or more( Katrina???). Oh yeah-MAGS very important if TSHTF.

Good Luck and Happy Shooting!

Edited by sggrosso

I think there may be some happy medium between 600rds and 25,000rds. Depends on your circumstances and what SHTF means to you. JWarren is a forum member who bunkered down during Katrina and had to go out armed when he was buying fuel. I think he had several mags for the saiga and maybe several more for a handgun.

You can search the posts and it makes for some fascinating reading. Maybe that scenario would work for you.

At any rate plan for the worst, hope for the best.

While I don't own any .308.. ATM I currently have...

~ 1000 rounds of .223

~ 600 rounds of .22LR

~ 1500 rounds 9x19

12 gage is low at ~ dozen

Low compared to everyone else I bet...

I'm waiting for end of hunting season, the local stores have a blow out on ammo, usually 25% off..

ATK, aka Remington & Federal have some deals on ammo and gear, check out their latest flyer.

If you pick up any Remington Core-Lokt ammo from them, don't forget the Remington flyer for up to $10 off you ammo purchase.

http://www.remington.com/pdfs/2007-FallPromoCoupon.pdf

Federal Power-shok rebate:

http://www.federalpremium.com/pdf/FP...kCouponFNL.pdf

Federal Fusion rebate:

http://www.federalpremium.com/pdf/Fu...bateCoupon.pdf

My buddy from the local munition plant told me about the rebates.

Edited by MD_Willington
While I don't own any .308.. ATM I currently have...

~ 1000 rounds of .223

~ 600 rounds of .22LR

~ 1500 rounds 9x19

12 gage is low at ~ dozen

Low compared to everyone else I bet...

I'm waiting for end of hunting season, the local stores have a blow out on ammo, usually 25% off..

ATK, aka Remington & Federal have some deals on ammo and gear, check out their latest flyer.

If you pick up any Remington Core-Lokt ammo from them, don't forget the Remington flyer for up to $10 off you ammo purchase.

http://www.remington.com/pdfs/2007-FallPromoCoupon.pdf

Federal Power-shok rebate:

http://www.federalpremium.com/pdf/FP...kCouponFNL.pdf

Federal Fusion rebate:

http://www.federalpremium.com/pdf/Fu...bateCoupon.pdf

My buddy from the local munition plant told me about the rebates.

Links don't work.

I had minimum of 5000rds of each caliber, 30-06, .308, 7.62x54r, 7.62x39, .223, 45acp, 38sp, 8mm Mauser and 10k 22lr. Unfortunately, lost it all but 30rds of 22lr in a tragic boating accident. :cryss:

If it didn't blow up, did you try underwater salvage? Many primers are sealed.

I agree with Rawles' count ,25k per person. Now for the good news, When the sh@#bags take over since they will have a hard time taking your guns, they will use Schumers idea which is already on the table and been tried when the AWB went down. It is called an ARSENAL permit that you MUST apply and have if you have 1000 rounds of anything and i think over 5 firearms. I am positive on the ammo. You of course realize this is just to see who has what. Hope i did not depress too many. They REALLY blow!!

I agree with Rawles' count ,25k per person. Now for the good news, When the sh@#bags take over since they will have a hard time taking your guns, they will use Schumers idea which is already on the table and been tried when the AWB went down. It is called an ARSENAL permit that you MUST apply and have if you have 1000 rounds of anything and i think over 5 firearms. I am positive on the ammo. You of course realize this is just to see who has what. Hope i did not depress too many. They REALLY blow!!

The sad thing is that people like Feinswine and Suck Chumer tend to live into their 90s, so we'll have to deal with this crap for a long time.

You are all a bunch of paranoid lunatics!! I keep one bullet safely tucked away in my shirt pocket. I call it the Fife carry.

Snake54, In which body of water did you loose all that ammunition and do you have the Loran numbers? :smoke:

Edited by madmilo

If you plan on shooting it regularly and OSHA causes ammo prices to skyrocket then 10,000rds wouldn't be "too much ammo" but just a little tip,DON'T TELL ANYONE IN THE REAL WORLD HOW MUCH AMMO YOU HAVE!!

Your "buddies" who think you are paranoid or obsessive will be coming to you for ammo when 308 hits $50 per box(with the new regulations that's not an exaggeration) and you can politely tell them that you have a limited supply and will require $5 per round to part with any of your little paranoid stash of ammo.

In Japan the black market price of a single 9mm bullet was over $125 back in the early 1990's so what do you think it would cost here where there are 10,000x as many gun owners?

Keep a couple boxes out where you can get at them and "friends" can see them and the rest in the dark somewhere and never talk about them because "friends" are the one's who turn you in to the gestapo when the laws change and they get busted to get themselves out of trouble;)

Edited by SOPMOD