Anyone convert a Saiga without shooting it first?

i did the conversion on my 223. after 10 rounds just to make sture all was well before i tore it down to make sure if it didnt fire it was something i did rather than the factory i have other saigas so i know the rifle pretty well so there was no need for me to shoot it too much before conversion if you havent shot much i would say to shoot the hell out of it before you convert just to make sure you want to put $ into it but i guarantee you will end up doing the conversion :lolol:

...I've never fired a rifle, let alone one in 7.62, and I wondered if I should get to know the rifle I'm going to buy before...

YES. DEFINATELY. Do the same when you have it in hand, as well, too. That is far more important than doing a conversion before you do anything else. Be sure that if you are a handgun guy, that you test the effectiveness and penetration of the centerfire rifle round compared to your pistols and shotguns. there is a HUGE difference

I would definitely shoot it first, also I would get familiar with it as well. Seeing as how you're gonna have to strip it all down be removing parts and whatnot during a conversion, you're gonna wanna know what's what. Good luck and have fun with it :up: .

Edited by 22_Shooter

I pulled the 308 out of the box and just converted it.

Never fired it before hand.

Took the Saiga 12 out to shoot before the conversion just cause I wanted to try it out and compare.

Post conversion is better by far.

I converted the S12 without ever firing it, I became very familiar with it by the time I finished it. Knew it inside and out, literally!

The x39 I pulled out of the box at the dealer and walked over to range and put 60 rounds through it, then converted it.

I've never fired a rifle, let alone one in 7.62

go and shoot it first. the conversion will be all the better, if thats what you really want.

I told you already, that rifle round really zings out of there. when your pistols and 22lr goes a few inches into the soil, this round goes a foot or better.

An FYI, as you are a new shooter for this type of firearm, is that the 7.62x39 round is very similar in many respects to a 30/30 round. Therefore, an old timer with an american levergun (edit: read : winchester 94) can tell you what to expect, for precautions with backstops and other fun crap like that, that you really need to obey with a centerfire rifle catridge, albeit an old one.....

You are new? be CAREFUL with what you shoot at with it. I dont think oyu are stupid, but it may surprise you.

Edited by Bvamp

I'm not entirely new to guns, and I'm aware that the 7.62x39 isn't a .22. I've shot pistols from .22 up to .50AE, but never got into the long gun game. I also go over the 4 Rules on a regular basis, even though I don't own any guns at the moment. This is going to be whole new world for me, and I'm looking forward to it. The big challenge right now, though, is trying to get a rifle at a decent price. With prices going up, I need to make up my mind regarding the best purchasing method (buy local vs. buy online). After that, I just need to save up and make sure I've got enough.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I got around to putting some lead downrange with my Saiga today.

The stock trigger is a complete DOG...It's gotta go, pure and simple. Take-up from here to infinity, not very smooth at all. The sights? Lousy is an understatement. I was shooting at a max range of 60-65 yards (should have been holding low, maybe?), and wasn't having much luck with Wolf 122gr FMJ. Not the most accurate, but I didn't have a single malfunction out of 100 rounds fired. Only problem was I should have bought more ammo!

Couldn't get a good feel out of the standard stock, either. Felt like it was too high for some reason. it's gotta go, too. Although, it was pretty cool to be able to feel the bolt carrier moving back and forth with each shot. All in all, I'm happy with my decision to buy the -132 instead of getting the longer-barreled version. Once I get the parts together and convert it, I think I'll be even happier with it. Now, as for that stimulus package check from the gov't...:D

• 4 weeks later...