• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and sweet Blackhawk picture! I've never ridden in one, but I did spend a little time in the back of a Huey and have a few similar picutres. And a little time in the back of a "Shithook" or two.

I'm told that the old Huey guys nicknamed the UH-60's "Crash Hawks". They seem to be holding their own now, I suppose.

Yep, they earned that nickname (and "lawn dart") because of a piss-poor design flaw in the first run. The Stabilator auto-programs for different airspeeds and when it fails it programs trailing-edge down (so it does the same thing as an elevator on an airplane)"/-------. The override was a rocker switch, and they had mounted it in a way that if you pulled the switch, it went down /----, if you pushed it forward it would go up \----- (which is backwards from any flight yoke or cyclic).

So when you were doing 120+kts at 50 ft, and the stabilator failed, the bird would go into a steadily increasing dive. The flight controls would not counteract it, so you would have to use the override switch. The instinct was to pull back on the rocker switch, which didn't help at all. The way they fixed it - flipped the rocker switch around on the the panel. ;)

Oh, and sweet Blackhawk picture! I've never ridden in one, but I did spend a little time in the back of a Huey and have a few similar picutres. And a little time in the back of a "Shithook" or two.

I'm told that the old Huey guys nicknamed the UH-60's "Crash Hawks". They seem to be holding their own now, I suppose.

Yep, they earned that nickname (and "lawn dart") because of a piss-poor design flaw in the first run. The Stabilator auto-programs for different airspeeds and when it fails it programs trailing-edge down (so it does the same thing as an elevator on an airplane)"/-------. The override was a rocker switch, and they had mounted it in a way that if you pulled the switch, it went down /----, if you pushed it forward it would go up \----- (which is backwards from any flight yoke or cyclic).

So when you were doing 120+kts at 50 ft, and the stabilator failed, the bird would go into a steadily increasing dive. The flight controls would not counteract it, so you would have to use the override switch. The instinct was to pull back on the rocker switch, which didn't help at all. The way they fixed it - flipped the rocker switch around on the the panel. ;)

Sounds like a typical case of an engineer designing the system without actual user (pilot) input.

Chevyman my first car as a kid was a fire engine red 66 Mustang notchback with a factory straight 6 200 cu inch 1 bbl. Purely stock and a great little car (until the brakes failed that is)

Cool.. mine was dark blue and was a factory 289 3 speed.. sounds like it had the same breaks though... lol

Chevyman my first car as a kid was a fire engine red 66 Mustang notchback with a factory straight 6 200 cu inch 1 bbl. Purely stock and a great little car (until the brakes failed that is)

Cool.. mine was dark blue and was a factory 289 3 speed.. sounds like it had the same breaks though... lol

Hey, no fair! You guys have the cool, macho 'other' hobbies. Mine have and continue to include hobbies such as writing poetry and doing calligraphy. Even had one book of poetry published some years back. Kind of a strange combo with hiking, camping, shooting isn't it? But still satisfying to me.

Edited by Aethelbert

My "other hobby" doesn't really count, 'cause it's also my job, but I still do it for fun.

I climb trees and trim them up and sometimes cut them down. All three of these photos are at least 50' up in the air, probably closer to 60'. :ph34r::super:

Acer

1232952405_09f679510c.jpg 1235119955_b3fa9eb79c.jpg

1235005413_4992ec868d.jpg

Hey, no fair! You guys have the cool, macho 'other' hobbies. Mine have and continue to include hobbies such as writing poetry and doing calligraphy. Even had one book of poetry published some years back. Kind of a strange combo with hiking, camping, shooting isn't it? But still satisfying to me.

Hey man nuthin wrong with that! Everyone's got their own drum they beat to...hrmmm that didn't come out right...ooooh no I mentioned the D word too. Ugh! :bag:

Now don't forget...

Astronomy

History Buff

Edged Weaponry

Beer and Wine Tasting

Reloading

Reading

Teaching

Storytelling

Cooking

Gardening

ETC...

I'm sure the list goes on, from all the interesting conversation we have had...some may be more qualified as "interests" than hobbies but you are quite interesting sir! And ummm...macho I guess...lol.

Ham radio operator,Tech Class N5TDA.....

Well met, I am a General Class myself. I liked the pictures of the bicycles as well. I have a Kestrel road bike, GT RTS-3 Mountain bike and a Bike-E Recumbent.

Gents,

I haven't posted here much, but I've been lurking (without registering) for going on two years. I recognize some of y'all from other gun boards (I'm most active on ARFCOM). Cobra, those arrowheads and other artifacts look very familiar, I grew up in south central NC and they were everywhere.

My favorite thing to do is play with my son (18 months old). My work includes busting criminals, shooting guns, and driving fast! My hobbies include volunteer fire/ems, 4x4's (Toyota Tacoma, Jeep CJ-7 and Willys CJ-3A restoration), drinking Code Red Mt. Dew, and my two brindle Boxers. I have an affinity for camping and orienteering, left over from my time in the boy scouts and my time in the Army.

I hate flying so much that I decided to jump out midflight! (D 1-507 Class 40-02)

Here's some Jeep shots just for fun.

100_0927.jpg

PackedLayer2.jpg

EquipmentLayout.jpg

Welcome pevrs114! Bout time you came out from behind the curtain.

Wow it sounds like you are from somewhere very close. Anywhere near Fuquay?

Yes, not terribly far away from Fuquay-Varina. I grew up about an hour, hour and a half from there in Union county. I now live about 2 hours north of Raleigh, in VA. Both of my sisters live in Raleigh.

I remember as a kid, going out to the indian mounds, camping at Barnhardt and finding arrowheads and rocks, etc. The native american history is very strong in that central part of the state. In fact, the jeep you see above was bought from a dealer on hwy 401 just south of Bragg when I was there.

Hey man nuthin wrong with that! Everyone's got their own drum they beat to...hrmmm that didn't come out right...ooooh no I mentioned the D word too. Ugh! :bag:

Wasn't there a Penthouse forum letter I vaguely remember now that generally started out like that? :unsure:

ok, for you bike nuts,..Motobecanes, Raleigh and old Schwinn

The silver one was for restored California bike for the mother in law, and the yellow one sold to a friend after restoration. These are in addition to more modern bikes, the commuter, the mountain bike and the race bike, but just as much fun.

post-9483-1205281586_thumb.jpg

post-9483-1205281594_thumb.jpg

post-9483-1205281602_thumb.jpg

post-9483-1205281613_thumb.jpg

post-9483-1205281622_thumb.jpg

post-9483-1205281636_thumb.jpg

post-9483-1205281651_thumb.jpg

post-9483-1205281659_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gas Giant
And I still find time for this:

Now you, too, know why my avatar looks like it does and why my 'name' is Athelbert (Saxon for 'Noble Sword'). No, not a knight or man-at-arms but a wandering scribe from the county (NOT the town/city of the the same name) of Kent.

Wandering saxon scum, eh???

What? Another lying, theiving Norman dog, eh? Besides, if it weren't for "wandering Saxon scum" like me, you illiterate Norman swine wouldn't be able to send or hear a letter or record a deed or contract!! (Isn't the SCA fun??)

Edited by Aethelbert

Now don't forget...

Astronomy

History Buff

Edged Weaponry

Beer and Wine Tasting

Reloading

Reading

Teaching

Storytelling

Cooking

Gardening

ETC...

I'm sure the list goes on, from all the interesting conversation we have had...some may be more qualified as "interests" than hobbies but you are quite interesting sir! And ummm...macho I guess...lol.

Hey I'm tasting some beer right now. :haha: This December on my way to Florida I should swing over and we could taste some beer together.

Well my other hobby is racing and my number is 27 if you couldn't tell by my name. First picture is of my little bro's Late Model, the class I will be in this season. The rest are of my car from last year a Super stock and one of my fat ass. Be working on that this summer. I also shoot trap.

post-5704-1205553392_thumb.jpg

post-5704-1205553405_thumb.jpg

post-5704-1205553415_thumb.jpg

post-5704-1205553425_thumb.jpg

post-5704-1205553437_thumb.jpg

Well I couldn't edit for some reason. The 2 classes of cars look close but in the first picture the car has 200 more horse, 2X the width tires, and a rear spoiler.

I also forgot my #1 hobby she's on the left, her sis is on the right. Sorry guys the sis is married and gets on your nerves quick.

ETA Now I can edit. Sorry guys I can't blow up the picture. But you can if you can.

post-5704-1205553997.jpg

Edited by Racer 27

This just prior to 1st test flight of new toy:

post-10188-1205681320_thumb.jpg

Surplus OH-58C. No, I don't have THAT kinda money; I maintain two of them (A&P). The one pictured is the second ship we got certified by FAA as experimental exhibition.

I am "retired" from racing - Super Latemodel, Limited Hydroplanes, Top Fuel boats (Hydro & Jet- former world record holder).

Extra Class Ham.

Oh well, you get the idea......