WHY IS .308 AMMO SO F*CKIN EXPENSIVE???

WHY???Can somebody tell me? I shoulda checked ammo prices before I got my s308, I coulda gotten a dragunov and made up for the difference in ammo. Do ya think ammo prices will drop if the war ends?? I hesitate to even by those FBMGs or surefires because every time I pull the trigger, instead of hearing *BANG* I would hear *cha-ching*. sorry for bitching at least saiga doesnt make a S-.416 rigby.

I got 200 rounds of what I believe to be Portuguese .308 at the gun show for $100. Not the best, not the worst price. I can still get steel cased monarch at academy for $9 + tax, but that's not much better. I'm not shooting the sealed pack I bought at the gun show, that goes in the SHTF stash.

But yeah, everything is expensive, and it won't get any better, not in the foreseeable future anyway (foreseeable future = next 10 years).

Bought South African battle packs for $70 per at the gunshow. Later saw what the seller paid, $ 24 per. Looks like ammo is a sound commodity to invest in. Lithuanian surplus is going for $120 per battle pack in my area at gunshow. I think the people in the sandbox are using up the supply in the same way as they are using up the bulk of the 9mm and the 5.56mm.

Edited by Saigaczech
WHY???Can somebody tell me? I shoulda checked ammo prices before I got my s308, I coulda gotten a dragunov and made up for the difference in ammo. Do ya think ammo prices will drop if the war ends?? I hesitate to even by those FBMGs or surefires because every time I pull the trigger, instead of hearing *BANG* I would hear *cha-ching*. sorry for bitching at least saiga doesnt make a S-.416 rigby.

Two words:

Iraq War.

Another two words:

Weak dollar.

The ammo isn't so much gone up as the dollar is getting weaker and weaker. the S is Hitting the F with our economy. That's why it seems that gold, silver, ammo, gas everything else is going up.

I feel your pain and have since changed my go to rifle from the S-308 to S-223 or x39. It'll still be there when the balloon goes up, just keep your stash of 308 ammo and train with another AK platform or even a .22. Trigger control, site picture, tactics and drills can still be done.

best of luck...

Yeah - the scrap prices for ammo (copper, lead and brass) mean we have to pay a premium to NOT strip it down for it's components in addition to the weak dollar internationally combined with the UN "anti-small arms proliferation" treaty. There was a big row in South Africa and the UN over all that surplus 7.62x51 coming to the U.S. (via Germany) from S.A. where is was supposed to be dissassembled and sold for scrap.

Even lead has gotten rediculous! Over $1.00 per pound. It used to be damn near free - ..10 to .15 per pound just a few years ago.... (as someone who casts). From what I am told, expect OSHA to put haz-mat shipping fees not only on loaded primers and powder but transporting lead too - and soon.

Lead has become the new asbestos - as far as OSHA is concerned... I have heard that OSHA wants to treat shipping ammo the same as shipping any other industrial or MILITARY explosive (even thought the military is exempt from OSHA rules...) :cryss: What's worse - I don't live in an OSHA state (GA), but interstate commerce means I'll get to share the pain with all...

if you are all talking FMJ rounds i can't help ya, but i have been picking up federal SP boxes of 20 for about $10-12 at wally-world and of all places my local cabelas when they have sales. its better than nothing....which is pretty much my only option without going on-line.....

Another two words:

Weak dollar.

The ammo isn't so much gone up as the dollar is getting weaker and weaker. the S is Hitting the F with our economy. That's why it seems that gold, silver, ammo, gas everything else is going up.

I feel your pain and have since changed my go to rifle from the S-308 to S-223 or x39. It'll still be there when the balloon goes up, just keep your stash of 308 ammo and train with another AK platform or even a .22. Trigger control, site picture, tactics and drills can still be done.

best of luck...

Another two words:

Bull Shit.

The price of copper nor the value of our dollar makes the price of stockheld bulk milsurp ammunition purchased 30 years ago rise 400%. It is price gouging.

Today's USA Today has an article that reports 16,000# of .308 guilding metal cups were stolen bt 2 employees. They face 30 years for sabotage of the supply of necessary war material.

maybe that might have some effect on ammo prices.

Bull Shit.

The price of copper nor the value of our dollar makes the price of stockheld bulk milsurp ammunition purchased 30 years ago rise 400%. It is price gouging.

+1, and I'll see you and raise you a war in Iraq. SA battlepacks aren't being issued out to all 100 M-14 gunners in theater.

BTW, got me another 150rds of Norinco steel-core for $71 today :)

Edited by shaneman153a
Another two words:

Weak dollar.

best of luck...

Another two words:

Bull Shit.

Well big chief,

If you think the economy is doing so great and isn't affecting ammo prices, and gold, silver, food and gas just so happen to all be going up at the same time, that's your business.

BTW, I never said it wasn't price gouging. That ALWAYS happens when TSHTF, remember Katrina and gas, LA riots and gun sales, Hurricane Andrew and the price gouging then? I do.