Besides the big companies, anyone do conversions?

yep...do at least 1 a week...its a "part time" job. 2 days a week. most time is spent waiting on paint to cure. im not at the lvl of some on here like E-tac. but doing some r&d on my own to get more options out there.

like to talk to some more experienced ones so i can ask questions instead of trial and error like they did...and no, its not questions about "how do i install a retaining plate" its more about certain add-ons.

its fun and provides therapy from my main job.

please consider legalities regarding non licensed people work on your weapon. :rolleyes:

you "could" get yourself or someone else in trouble...

Thanks for looking out. We wouldnt want anyone doing anything that was not right. Around here there are a few local gunsmiths who work out of their homes who do some pretty good work. Just not on Saiga's. I need mine converted and may just try it myself if I get my workshop up and running soon. I just moved and my workshop is still being built so I have no real place to work on my guns.

not tryin' to pick on anybody ... just good lookin' out is all..... and covering the forums butt....

u pickin on me? :(

is it ok if i work for a licensed dealer? ill be glad when he finally gets his class III. then the fun will begin.

Is there a legal issue with working on your own guns?.. or helping out a friend.. I could understand if you've got your shingle out at the road and doing business without a gunsmith license since payment is rendered, but we can modify our own guns right?? Just curious before doing anymore bragging at work.. Love the info on this forum...

Everybody. keep yer panties on......I ain't pickin' on nobody.

Yes you can work on your own stuff....or even have a friend help (I think) let's make that advise just to be safe. God knows I have had friends "Help" me with my weapons...

Just if you go telling folks "look at the conversion JimmyJoeBob did for me" and JimmyJoeBob

ain't got a manufacture FFL, you or JimmyJoeBob could end up in a heap of trouble.....

No offense to the off chance we have a JimmyJoeBob here that is or is not an FFL guy.

all I'm saying people... is cover your butt!

I know the companies like Tromix and CGW do conversions but are there any of the board members who are gunsmiths and do the conversions?

Edit: sorry if the original post was unclear.

Try Henderson Defense: http://shop.hendersondefense.biz/main.sc

They don't list the details on their website but I know for a fact they're doing conversions. I saw one of their Saiga-12 conversions that was in the shop a few months ago (June? July?) and got a chance to look it over. Flash forward to yesterday..... I ended up buying one off the shelf locally and dropping it off with them to get the work done.

IIRC, they are also doing California-specific conversions with a magazine lock installed.

Mr Cole's turnaround period right now is at the 60 days mark. I am planning on flying up there in the near future to do all the OTHER tasks that need doing, so that he can get caught up. I might also wind up doing the "bone headed" aspects under his license to a bunch of guns, such as teardown and blasting.

This is the first time I heard that we are a "big company" though.

Tromix, although well known, is a very small company.

This is "Tony", hereafter known as "the company"

SuppressorX3.jpg

He makes all the guns, period. His girlfriend Melissa takes phone/email orders while he works.

As for me, I'm an engineer and Tony's best friend...I do a lot of brainstorming, a little consulting and a lot of drinking with the man.

.....I have no real place to work on my guns.

I have no kitchen table. :(

I had to do a lot of work on mine in my bathroom! I sat in the tub while Dremeling, it was caught the chips, the shower curtain kept the dust contained and of course it made clean-up a snap! :lol:

SuppressorX3.jpg

He makes all the guns, period. His girlfriend Melissa takes phone/email orders while he works.

As for me, I'm an engineer and Tony's best friend...I do a lot of brainstorming, a little consulting and a lot of drinking with the man.

That last part sounds pretty good - any openings available? :sorcerer:

Cheers, HarvKY

The conversion itself is actually pretty easy. I did it myself in my garage, and I am half a retard when it comes to mechanical stuff. I would bet that Tony's DIY part makes it even easier, since cutting the pistol grip nut hole with a dremel was the toughest part.

Of course mine is off at Tromix getting the shorty treatment, and I'm SURE when Tony starts working on it he's gonna be like:

"WTF happened to this!! 'HALF' a retard is being GENEROUS!"

Edited by GLOCKshooter

We (meaning I) do conversions. We are an FFL holder, so it's legal to ship to us, and we can ship directly back to you. We are down in the business section. We are currently able to deliver in about 60 days, based on total backlog, but probably sooner.

Friearms Sales Co.

SuppressorX3.jpg

The man the legend! I imagined him to be bigger and more millitant:) Not the one man army i had pictured!

I'm having mine done by Custom Guns and Accessories LLC, and is customizing it pretty much any way I want. Here is one of his auctions and info:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=109050733

Russell F. Findlay

Custom Guns and Accessories LLC

Springfield Or 97477

541-579-0254

When he's done, I'll let the board know how it turned out and hopefully get him some more business :)

Well I will admit, I have done lots of work on my kitchen table. The thing I hate the most about doing that is that if im in the middle of something I cant just leave it there. I have to pick it up and put it all away.

I like using my kitchen table for projects too.

Problem is my wife seems to think the kitchen table is for food prep..........................

Thanks for looking out. We wouldnt want anyone doing anything that was not right. Around here there are a few local gunsmiths who work out of their homes who do some pretty good work. Just not on Saiga's. I need mine converted and may just try it myself if I get my workshop up and running soon. I just moved and my workshop is still being built so I have no real place to work on my guns.

Course telling us where "round here" is might get ya some more hints on smaller local shops/ more helpful members

Course telling us where "round here" is might get ya some more hints on smaller local shops/ more helpful members

Well around here is Slidell, Louisiana, about 20 min north of New Orleans. I dont know of any local guys around here doing them.

Well around here is Slidell, Louisiana, about 20 min north of New Orleans. I dont know of any local guys around here doing them.

possible loophole (please correct me if i'm wrong, i don't want to make this sound like it's in stone) if you cannot find anybody with an FFL to do the work for you, BUT you can find somebody that's great with converting or with smithing in general... Sell your gun to them, have them do the work on their "own" gun, and then buy it back from them.