What typically breaks on an AK?

Anyone know what typically is the weakest point on an AK? What are some good backup parts to have in case of failure???

The weakest point of an AK, is the operator. Eat a Mediterrian style diet , start working out with free weights, get yourself an A.L.I.C.E. pack with at least 50lbs. (sand bag) in it, run up hills at least thirty minutes three times a week, and learn how to use yer AK to the fullest. (i.e. target acquision, position dicipline (frequently snapping in), hittin' -n- rollin' locked -n- loaded (not if you've been drinkin'), and practice real life fighting scenarios ( in any terrain you plan on ever inhabiting.)

And as Nalioth said, another AK. J.D.

I've found the ammo budget usually breaks first.............Which is a good thing because there are just not a lot of Saiga spare parts out there..............I will probably be tearing down a few for parts as this warranty project gets rolling.........but I doubt I'll still have spare parts to sell.............But on the good side, I doubt I'll need many parts............

Anyone know what typically is the weakest point on an AK? What are some good backup parts to have in case of failure???

The weakest point of an AK, is the operator. Eat a Mediterrian style diet , start working out with free weights, get yourself an A.L.I.C.E. pack with at least 50lbs. (sand bag) in it, run up hills at least thirty minutes three times a week, and learn how to use yer AK to the fullest. (i.e. target acquision, position dicipline (frequently snapping in), hittin' -n- rollin' locked -n- loaded (not if you've been drinkin'), and practice real life fighting scenarios ( in any terrain you plan on ever inhabiting.)

And as Nalioth said, another AK. J.D.

What is a Mediterranean style diet? Are you recommending a second AK because of difficulty finding AK parts?

Nothing on an AK will break. You can put the magazine in the well and do push-ups on your weapon. If you break anything you have to be doing it on purpose. The only spare parts you "MIGHT" need will be a spring set and you can get that at www.k-var.com.

Welcome to the addiction!

Good luck,

Merritt

SGT USMC vet.

I would probibly keep a spare butt stock just in case it cracks while using it to club down people when ammo runs low (If SHTF). A good old shovel handle will do or maybe somebody's old crutch and add a few self tapping screws to secure it and viola new butt stock.

I would also have to agree with the magazines. Have some regular steel ones stored away.

The promags I have, have the BHO featue due to the last round jamming :unsure:

having done the conversion... having had the rifle apart in pieces.. i cna honestly say i would be SHOCKED to hear something on an AK platform broke... everything looks extremely durable, and simple... which is a perfect combination..

Ak's are not immune from Murphy's Law. The more moving parts then the more that can go wrong. On average an Ak will fail before a properly made Enfield or Mauser 98. Still, if the SHTF I would grab one of my ak's before any of my AR, CETME, SKS, or military bolt rifles. Nothing wrong with any of the beforementioned weapons...I appreciate and enjoy them all.

firing pin, barrel, receiver rails/ejector.

any machine will wear out eventually, and lot quicker with poor maintenance. AKs are pretty damn robust as it is, and are famous for exactly that.

Magazine floorplates, magazine bodies, magazine feedlips. Buy more mags!

AK's are made of steel and wood, not aluminum and plastic. Don't worry about anything. Enjoy a picture of what happens when you try to make an AR-15 shoot 30 cal ammo.

all.jpg

Edited by Twinsen

mags go before anything, i don't have enough $$ to truly test that but my buddy has nearly 71k of russian and romanian steel through his and the only thing he's had to replace on it were the mags (surplus mags) and his dust cover (due to him dropping it) but it still worked fine with the dent, he just wanted to keep her somewhat "proper" like i said, i don't have that kind of money but i trust it enough. Plus he only cleans it maybe once every 5k or so....that poor gas piston is a dirty dirty girl, but she keeps coming back for more ;)

Edited by Vultite

I have a little bag with a broken shell extractor,firing pin,axis pins,extractor/pin/spring,e-clips and I have never had occasion to use any of it from buying my first Norinco in 1988 up to my latest 7.62 Saiga.I suppose with TEOTWAKI right around the corner according to some I might go ahead and spring for a spare bolt but it will likely never be used on any of my 1/2 dozen AKs.

I would however suggest getting some magazine springs if any of your mags are old used surplus of unknown vintage.

Nothing on an AK will break. You can put the magazine in the well and do push-ups on your weapon. If you break anything you have to be doing it on purpose. The only spare parts you "MIGHT" need will be a spring set and you can get that at www.k-var.com.

Welcome to the addiction!

Good luck,

Merritt

SGT USMC vet.

I've done this with my AR and GI mags. (No ammo)

My weapon did it just fine. Mag was fine. Me trying to balance and do the push-ups... I was able to do 5.

If something was to break from me doing that I'd expect it to be the mag.

In a word,

Nothing.

You'll lose parts cleaning your AK before you ever break anything. Get a spring set and a pin set for the bolt if you're afraid of losing tiny parts while cleaning the bolt.

I've given this question some thought.

The weak point of semi-auto rifles in general is the extractor. Without going into the details, the Saiga 7.62 x 39 extractor is different than the available AK extractors. Similar story with the firing pins.

Because of all the conversions, it's relatively easy to find stock furniture, FCG, and gas tubes, but not bolt or bolt carrier parts. Also, there are very few factory spare parts available.

Mark Graham (the "gunplumber") says that among the thousands of AKs that have passed through his hands over the years, he has seen exactly ONE failed extractor. Remarkable considering that AR shooters often take spare bolts with them so they can make it through a weekend training class. One of the reasons I don't own an AR.

Most AKs are built from parts kits with varying degrees of workmanship. Theoretically at least, Saiga's should break fewer parts than your average AK because they are new Russian rifles.

Mark Graham's experience is confirmed by the fact there there are thousands of 7.62 x 39 Saiga's out there and no one is posting about having a useless gun because they broke an extractor or something else.

My solution was to buy lots of Saiga parts leftover from conversions (furniture, gas tubes, sights, FCG) and several rifles so that if something does break, I'll have some spare parts or I can cannibalize one of the rifles. Last year I bought a used 7.62 x 39 with 20" barrel just for this reason. Of course, you might have a problem finding a $225 Saiga today.

The weak point of semi-auto rifles in general is the extractor. Without going into the details, the Saiga 7.62 x 39 extractor is different than the available AK extractors. Similar story with the firing pins.

Because of all the conversions, it's relatively easy to find stock furniture, FCG, and gas tubes, but not bolt or bolt carrier parts. Also, there are very few factory spare parts available.

Mark Graham (the "gunplumber") says that among the thousands of AKs that have passed through his hands over the years, he has seen exactly ONE failed extractor. Remarkable considering that AR shooters often take spare bolts with them so they can make it through a weekend training class. One of the reasons I don't own an AR.

Most AKs are built from parts kits with varying degrees of workmanship. Theoretically at least, Saiga's should break fewer parts than your average AK because they are new Russian rifles.

Mark Graham's experience is confirmed by the fact there there are thousands of 7.62 x 39 Saiga's out there and no one is posting about having a useless gun because they broke an extractor or something else.

My solution was to buy lots of Saiga parts leftover from conversions (furniture, gas tubes, sights, FCG) and several rifles so that if something does break, I'll have some spare parts or I can cannibalize one of the rifles. Last year I bought a used 7.62 x 39 with 20" barrel just for this reason. Of course, you might have a problem finding a $225 Saiga today.

Good reply - thanks!

I was thinking specifically of what you discussed - the extractor, bolt, etc. Since they are different - where would one get replacements / spares (besides another saiga)?

Good reply - thanks!

I was thinking specifically of what you discussed - the extractor, bolt, etc. Since they are different - where would one get replacements / spares (besides another saiga)?

The Saiga 7.62 x 39 bolt uses a "claw" type extractor. Other 7.62 x 39 AKs use a "cylinder" type extractor which will not fit in a Saiga bolt. The only AK claw extractors I've seen are the 5.45 extractors. The 5.45 claw extractor will install in the Saiga bolt, but of course the curvature (radius) of the 5.45 is a little different than the curvature of the stock Saiga 7.62 x 39 claw extractor.

I don't know if this will make a difference in operation. I haven't fired the Saiga with the 5.45 extractor (and may not). When working the bolt manually, the 5.45 extractor seems to extract 7.62 x 39 cases fine. Maybe more marking on the cartridge rim.

The 5.45 firing pin will fit in the Saiga bolt. A standard AK 7.62 x 39 firing pin will not. The 5.45 firing pin is a little looser in the bolt and the tip of the 5.45 firing pin looks like it has a different profile. I have fired primed cases (no powder) using a Saiga bolt with a 5.45 firing pin. They fired fine with no primer rupture, but it may be different with powder in the case.

I haven't tried finding an AK bolt that will work with the Saiga 7.62 x 39 bolt carrier. My guess is that if anything breaks bolt-related, it would be the extractor or firing pin and not the bolt itself.

I haven't been able to find a source of Saiga bolt parts (other than a spare rifle). The Saiga importer told me that they're trying to get spare parts from the Russian factory.

Apparently, Saigas very, very rarely break extractors or firing pins. I've never heard anyone complaining that their Saiga is useless because they can't get a spare extractor or firing pin. Seems like there would be a few Saiga owners in this situation.