saiga vote  

154 members have voted

1. 1. What barrel length and why?

• 8in barrel
    • 10in barrel
    • 12in barrel
    • 19in barrel
    • 24in barrel

I'm voting 8in for a few reasons. Easy to store and carry, am not using it to hunt or skeet, and god damn it's cool. Personally I don't have one but maybe one day. If I hunted and used it for things like that or skeet shooting who knows I'd probably vote another way.

I go with the 19" because the state I live in won't let me go any shorter!!!!! If I could, I would go with 10" though. I will be using mine to hunt deer with (another stupid Iowa law - have to use shotgun/slugs to hunt deer), and that is what I am setting it up for. From a hunting standpoint, I like the safety of not having to run all of those rounds through the chamber to unload it! And when the temps. dip into the sub-zero range, it is much easier to replace a mag. than to push shells into a tube.

Yeah I voted for the 24", because you don't have 22" listed.

for a shot gun, the 19.5 is the all around work horse, but for me,.. the 22" is the real deal multi performer.

Do you have to wear a black trench coat to use the shorties?

8" for HD.

12" for opening day pheasants...I'll scare them to death if nothing else.

24" for waterfowl.

Had to vote 8" because that's what got me into this in the first place.

Edited by sunnybean

It all comes down to what you're using it for.

** If you're doing Diplomatic Security and need a concealable close range weapon, you'd need a very short barrel. Then an 8 to 10" sounds good to me. Granted, the S12's mag doesn't really lend itself to concealment. And if you're just going to use a 3 shot mag, you can get a much more concealable shotty with that capacity. Still, it's an awesome setup.

** If you're an Entry/Point man for a SWAT/HRT type squad, then a shorter barrel would definitely be handier in an indoor environment, but concealability wouldn't an issue. So 12" to 14" might be right.

** If you're a Soldier that would use it for urban combat, but not necessarily all CQB stuff, something a bit longer than the SWAT entry model might be in order. Let's say something in the neighborhood 14" to 16" I'm guessing.

** A sportsman wanting to hunt deer would probably want the 19" barrel too. Waterfowl hunters and possibly skeet shooter might favor the longer barrels, so the 24" would be for them (probably with a choke).

For me, if SBSs were legal in my state, I'd probably want somewhere around 14". I'm cool with the 19" for now though.

Corbin

Reasons I have a 19"...........

-I have no personal need for a 24"

-I can't go the SBS route in NY

-It's all Centerfire had in stock :D

When I get out of NY, I plan on having it cut down some. I've not read up on if going too short will affect reliability, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I think the 19" covers a more general area, as far as needs. It seems to be an "all-around" good choice.

Hey, I don't know what your situation is, but if you're asking because you don't have one and are wondering how they feel, I was in Missoula last week and Axmen South had two 19"ers on the shelf. The price was high ($699) but if your there and want to fondle them...

ETA-

I just logged onto your website. Whitehall, eh. I've worked with a lot of guys/gals from Whitehall. Too bad about the fire a few weeks ago. Crazy that Bozeman blew up and Whitehall burned down in two consecutive days. Not good.

Edited by sunnybean

24" with poly choke here because I am a Fudd . I bought my gun primarily to hunt with and shoot some clay. I love the way my S12 shoots. I am a better shot with it than my pumps. New Sagia owner. So far I have only shot clay birds and blown up stuff with it. I cant wait for huntin season.

Would not mind having a short barrel for fun..... And a S 308..... and a 223.......

Considering a piece of plywood might as well be a brick wall at 100 yards when using a shotgun of any length I say measure off the distance you will use it at,add 15 feet and make sure it will penetrate a 1/2 frozen brisket wrapped in denim then start cutting.Once you get it to 18.5 and it's still doing it's job then it's time to send off for a tax stamp.

I say go as short as you can and still get the job done.Inside my house 8" would work and in my front yard and street I'd rather go for 13" and if I still lived at my lake house with the long driveway I'd want the 19".

I went through a 6 month period of testing at various ranges with various target mediums and ammo to draw these conclusions for myself and I relgated the shotgun to it's most effective application,"Porch Broom" and it excels at that job like no other but it will never be as flexible as a rifle or a handy as a pistol so don't compromise it's strengths trying to wring too much out of it.

As an aside if you just want to have fun then the 8" definately looks like the ticket IMHO

Edited by SOPMOD
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
What barrel length do people like and why?

I have the 19" because that's what was available at a good price. I'd have prefered the 24" though. That would make it the only long gun necessary from 300yds. [sabot rounds] and in. An appropriate mag change and you good to go.

Later...