Dilemma......What would you get.

HELP! Check out My Setup Too!  

59 members have voted

1. 1. MD Arms 20 Rd Drum, Glock 23 or AR-15 Lower Reciever

• MD Arms 20 Rd Drum
    • Money Down on Glock 23
    • New AR-15 Reciever

So far i have a Springfield 1911 Loaded .45, AR-15, and my Saiga-12 which i should have within 3 weeks. Now i can either get a 20 Rd Drum, but i have five AGP 10 round mags.....I can put money down on a glock 23 and pay it off by mid next month or buy another AR-15 Lower Reciever. im really undecided on what i should do.

My current setup with my Saiga-12 19'' barrel

HK Sights

Tromix Shark Brake

Tromix Stock

Tromix Hand Guards

Weld On Plate

Saw Grip

Five AGP 10 Round Magazines

The gun is getting a professional weld and paint job...so i payed a good amount of money so far for my new toy.

By the way am i missing any good toys that i can add on? im thinking of ordering gunfixers plug from MD Arms as well.

Edited by GoingPro
So far i have a Springfield 1911 Loaded .45, AR-15, and my Saiga-12 which i should have within 3 weeks. Now i can either get a 20 Rd Drum, but i have five AGP 10 round mags.....I can put money down on a glock 23 and pay it off by mid next month or buy another AR-15 Lower Reciever. im really undecided on what i should do.

Tromix Shark Brake

Tromix Stock

Tromix Hand Guards

Weld On Plate

Saw Grip

The gun is getting a professional weld and paint job...so i payed a good amount of money so far for my new toy.

By the way am i missing any good toys that i can add on? im thinking of ordering gunfixers plug from MD Arms as well.

i'd say go for the drum. i got mine two weeks ago and i love it!

2nd choice would be the glock, but finding .40 or any pistol ammo lately has been a HUGE pain in da ass! shotgun shells are plentiful.

I suppose if I were in your position, I'd ask myself...

1: What do I already have

2: What do I need vs. what do I want (subjective)

3: What's going to be available later vs. what might be the first thing to get banned.

If you already have an AR, I'd probably wait on the receiver. Granted, they may be banned eventually, but if they are, there will still be several companies out there that already have many in circulation. There's only a couple Saiga drum manufacturers, and only one I'd want to buy from. That makes the chance of finding an MD-20 available after a ban much harder, unless you're going to pay through the nose for it.

So, I would probably lean towards the MD-20. Unless you totally cut it apart or strap a grenade to it and blow it up, it should only appreciate in value.

That's how I see it anyway.

Choose wisely. LOL

Corbin

I suppose if I were in your position, I'd ask myself...

1: What do I already have

2: What do I need vs. what do I want (subjective)

3: What's going to be available later vs. what might be the first thing to get banned.

If you already have an AR, I'd probably wait on the receiver. Granted, they may be banned eventually, but if they are, there will still be several companies out there that already have many in circulation. There's only a couple Saiga drum manufacturers, and only one I'd want to buy from. That makes the chance of finding an MD-20 available after a ban much harder, unless you're going to pay through the nose for it.

So, I would probably lean towards the MD-20. Unless you totally cut it apart or strap a grenade to it and blow it up, it should only appreciate in value.

That's how I see it anyway.

Choose wisely. LOL

Corbin

SPOKEN LIKE A TRUE PRODIGY MY FRIEND! ! ! Man you sold me, your 100% right.....I knew it deep down inside, i just had mixed feelings; kind of like choosing a girlfriend out of all the girls your dating....i just needed someone to open my eyes and show me the pros and cons

Can I vote all?

What's with the Glock 23? Sounds like a carry piece? If so, that's where I'd lean. If it's another reason, then I'd assume they'll be available forever and wait on it. But, if that's the case, I'd still say buy a couple of full capacity mags if you are going to buy one anyways. If you are a fan of "lots of rounds" get some of the G22 mags, and the 30 round sticks too.

AR-15: Well, I'm a fan of the rifle. Honestly, I don't think one's enough ... but that's just me. I know you can swap lowers around, but I like having several setups. The thing to think about is .. right now these are priced above the norm. If a ban comes, they'll go up .... but if they wait for a bit .... these prices could come back down. Really would be nice to have a crystal ball. Might be worth the wait if you are a gambler.

MD20: A drum makes the shotgun a LOT of fun. I've got a vid of me shooting a single clay pigeon with a full drum lolz. If you like to just "blast stuff up" this makes your fun factor go up x10.

I'd wonder why not throw a betaC onto the list of possibilities? It's gotten a bit expensive to actually shoot a full drum :( but it is truly an awesome addition to the AR15. Want to go cheap on that you could get the 90 rounder (but you don't seem like a penny pincher). If the beta is too cheap, someone has a 150 round mag out!

And, if it were me, I'd throw an AK47 into the "must have" short list. They aren't cheap anymore. Throw in a chinese drum to complete this kit. And it's hard to find a magazind capacity that isn't made for them. 20's, 30's, 40's, .... all the way up to the banana mag that is close to a full semi circle! I definitely would stay with the 7.62. Lots more stuff made for it among other reasons.

Sure is fun spending other peoples money!

Edited by kmoore
Can I vote all?

What's with the Glock 23? Sounds like a carry piece? If so, that's where I'd lean. If it's another reason, then I'd assume they'll be available forever and wait on it. But, if that's the case, I'd still say buy a couple of full capacity mags if you are going to buy one anyways. If you are a fan of "lots of rounds" get some of the G22 mags, and the 30 round sticks too.

AR-15: Well, I'm a fan of the rifle. Honestly, I don't think one's enough ... but that's just me. I know you can swap lowers around, but I like having several setups. The thing to think about is .. right now these are priced above the norm. If a ban comes, they'll go up .... but if they wait for a bit .... these prices could come back down. Really would be nice to have a crystal ball. Might be worth the wait if you are a gambler.

MD20: A drum makes the shotgun a LOT of fun. I've got a vid of me shooting a single clay pigeon with a full drum lolz. If you like to just "blast stuff up" this makes your fun factor go up x10.

I'd wonder why not throw a betaC onto the list of possibilities? It's gotten a bit expensive to actually shoot a full drum :( but it is truly an awesome addition to the AR15. Want to go cheap on that you could get the 90 rounder (but you don't seem like a penny pincher). If the beta is too cheap, someone has a 150 round mag out!

And, if it were me, I'd throw an AK47 into the "must have" short list. They aren't cheap anymore. Throw in a chinese drum to complete this kit. And it's hard to find a magazind capacity that isn't made for them. 20's, 30's, 40's, .... all the way up to the banana mag that is close to a full semi circle! I definitely would stay with the 7.62. Lots more stuff made for it among other reasons.

Sure is fun spending other peoples money!

I think this is going to be my new priority list....

1. MD Drum

2. AR Reciever

3. AK-47

4. Glock 23

you're right i will always be able to buy a glock.....but what if obama bans every semi-automatic weapon then i will be assed out. it sucks to be a college student! as for the high ban drums go for the AR-15, i think 30 - 40 rounds per mag is enough because those mags cost and ammo cost fortune just like you said!!!!!!!!! tell me what u think of my list...the glock 23 is going to be my beater gun because i like my 1911 alot.....

Few things to think over.

First, the first ban on firearms affected most handguns in mag capacity only. The call has been to renew and make permanent the first ban. So, odds are that you can judge what's to come by looking at the first ban. It's as good as guess as any. So, I doubt all semi's will be banned.

Second. Consider a larger glock ... gunsummitbroker.com has G22 trade in's for < $400! For a beater gun, I'd get a 9mm (cheaper to shoot = shoot more often). He's out of G17's. But there is a LOT of good written about the 5906's. For < $300 ... well, that's my idea of the perfect beater gun. Toss it in the trunk or glove box and fahgetaboutit.

I'd still say beta's are worthwhile... but they are a bit overpriced right now, might want to watch pricing on these. If the ban doesn't come, the pricing could dip. Also, consider monitoring the AR15 boards, there were a couple that went for ~200 a month or two ago. Rifle ammo is only 2x the cost of the shotshell ammo when you consider it on a per shell basis. If a ban comes, the MD20's will go up ... but the Beta's will two. IIRC, they were going for more then 500 each before the last ban sunsetted!!!!

For the AR reciever ... you can get a stripped lower for less $$$ and then build it up with a LPK later. That "work" is pretty simple, tutorials all over to do it! I was checking out AGP's site. He has lower reciever's for $140 ... based on how he did business with the S12 mags I'd be willing to get one from him , tho they don't have much of a "track record" yet.

Mike, If you do pop in here, I hope you consider stockpiling some of your drums! Just as insurance against any Anti 2A stupidity that does get passed!

Edited by kmoore

The drum, AK, and Glock on your list are ready to shoot. If you get the AR receiver you would have to spend a lot more money on it to be able to "shoot" it. It all really depends on if you are looking at this stuff for personal value, investment, or both.

Over at the ar15.com board (I know, I know) there is a saying they use when someone posts a question like this: "In true ARFCOM style, buy them all!"

jonblack

I'd go for the drum, if I didn't already have one.

I'd go for the AR receiver, if I didn't just buy the jigs and tools to build them.

I'd go for the Glock, if I liked the way they felt in my hand.

Honestly, I never like to put money down on firearms, I prefer to just pay for them and not have to worry about paying off the account. The Glock 23 is not going to go away for some time nor increase in price much, you can hold off on it almost indefinitely. The AR receiver is basically a paperweight, without an additional grand or so in parts to make it an actual rifle; I bought my brother a receiver two xmases ago, he's still not totally finished with it. The drum is the only thing which has the potential of going away and increasing in value considerably, further you can use it as soon as you get it. I think I've drawn the same conclusion as some other people.

I would go with the MD20 first, then the Glock, then the AR15 receivers.

The MD20 could be snuffed out without Congress' approval, where the other items would require new legislation.

The AR15 recievers are being produced probably 5 to 1 on the ratio of parts to complete them. With a complete upper running $600+, you will eventually see guys liquidating some out of their stockpiles of 15 lowers. Plus there are 5 new companies each day (it seems) that are starting production on lowers. Eventually market saturation will happen and you will see price stabilization and demand level out.

The Glock is an excellent tool and will likely be around, but it is ready to go as is, where the AR15 requires much more capital to complete!

The other consideration is to get a reloader setup so you can roll your own ammo for rifle & pistol. Then you will be able to control increasing ammo prices! It will pay for itself in a year if you shoot regularly.

MD20, once you own one, you'll never go back.

I'm a member of the anti-glock coalition so thats out, IMO

AR-15, what's that? oh, does mattel still make those?

AK47/74 can't go wrong with 60 year old technology that's still better than 90% of the weapons out there.

Oh and Ammo is/should be purchased/reloaded as you would buy gas for your car/truck/whatever. I allot myself so much a month for gas, and then allot the same amount to ammo, either new or reload supplies. You will be amazed how fast you can accumulate it, it gotten to the point that im rotating mine old out first, new in the back.

What ever you decide, just have fun, and be safe.

HUZZAH!!

Of those three, the drum. I'd first look at what you need optics for, and what you need ammo for. Or, if you already have an AR-15 lower, build it. I have two lowers that just sit there and make me angry. I can't afford uppers yet, mostly because I don't care. I'd rather have a $200 scope on my FAL than have these lowers sitting around.

Maybe not the suggestion you're looking for...but here goes anyway. I finally just got a FEG PA-63 pistol in 9x18 for a really good price, thanks to a forum member. Good ones are going for anywhere from $150-180. I have plenty of nice pistols, but I can't remember having so much instant fun with one before. It's the perfect size for a CCW, and ammo isn't that expensive. So I would say, get a FEG, and spend the rest on ammo for the rest of your toys.

I'd agree with AMMO AMMO AMMO! AR-15 is fun, but that GIRLIE ammo is close to the cost of MAN ammo nowdays, so think about an AR-10. DPMS makes some nice accurate rifles. I've got a MD-20 and it rocks, but if zombies attacked I'd be loading my 10 rounders a bit faster, and they don't alter your hold on the shotgun. If you have a .45 already...

md20 first

Springfield Armory XD 45ACP 2nd - hates me some glock...

I got to second DrWho's vote, but I'd go XDM 40. Along with the drum, the XDM could easily be banned. Its made in Croatia. I've never met a Croatian, but they sure could teach glock a thing or two about making a top notch pistol.

I'd buy ammo. You have an excellent, durable, capable weapon of each type all from good makes with plenty of options in popular calibers, the .40 or another lower seem redundant. the drum is SWEET but really....10 12 gauge slugs will take care of more than plenty. I'd save your money and use it to get ammo instead.

Looks like BuffetDestroyer covered most of my points, but to add a bit - the AR lowers are the first thing every panicking loser is buying - and buying. Most of these guys didn't even want an AR before their future was in jeopardy, and now they are sitting on 2 or 3 stripped lowers that mean very little to them. Assuming the economy continues to decline in the immediate future, there will be plenty lowers coming up for sale as these (hundreds of thousands of) guys need some quick money to pay the bills, and gladly sell one or more that they can't afford to complete, and don't have much interest in anyway.

More importantly, though, without regard to getting a "deal", I think it would be preferrable to buy a lower from a private party (non-FFL) - I can see several scenarios where I would want a few guns that aren't accounted for by the govt................

HK Sights

Tromix Shark Brake

Tromix Stock

Tromix Hand Guards

Weld On Plate

Saw Grip

I'd pick the Glock since it has the most actual utility but do you own a 7.62x39 AK?Forget a GayRfifteen and get and AK sir!You could buy a whole Saiga Rifle for under $500 if you shop around and your mags will cost you $15ea and it will be the most reliable and robust firearm out of everything you own or propose to own save possibly the Glock.

Oh on another note,you can get a 9mm conversion barrel and a 22lr conversion upper for that Glock and shoot 3 calibers for under $800 total investment so it's definitely the most "bang for the buck" out of everything you mentioned..

...Forget a GayRfifteen and get and AK sir!...

Oh on another note,you can get a 9mm conversion barrel and a 22lr conversion upper for that Glock and shoot 3 calibers for under $800 total investment so it's definitely the most "bang for the buck" out of everything you mentioned..

Actually, you can find steals on AR's out there, my first was a complete bushmaster I paid 525 for 6 years ago.... and I've seen more than one frankenstein rifles go for around $500.

Now, as for bang for buck ... by your definition ... let's see, my ar will run .22 with a kit and mags ... and about a dozen or more calibers with different bbls, some requiring different mags and some not. .223, 9mm, 7.62, 6.5, 6.8 .300 whisper, .... .458 and .50 beowolf.

Of course, you can attach 10" to 24 inch bbls, all kinds of handguards, buttstocks (including folders if you want to spend big $$), ff handguards and rails, has a better scope mounting option than the AK and likely a couple of other options I've forgotten at the moment! It's truly a lego rifle. By your own definition, it's the best bang for the buck!

Want to claim it's reliable, you need to stop reading stories and the web and hang out with folks who know how to maintain a firearm.

I figured I was over a 2000 rounds since my last cleaning (of ANY sort) and only decided to clean it up because it had degraded accuracy to where it was like shooting an AK :o but it still never jammed for me.

But the ammo for the AK's (7.62 and 5.45) is currently a lot cheaper than the AR ... as long as no gov't leader decides to mess with importation of ammo .... hmmm, how likely is that to happen?