What is your backup to the S12?

My Saigas are also usually not the first gun to grab. I have an old S&W pump 12 gauge loaded up with 4 buck. It's the first gun that would get grabbed out of the safe, but the old Euro Sig P220 .45 is what's usually within my reach.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, my saiga 12 is really the first gun I have owned that is truly suitable for defense. The next best thing I have is a Taurus PT 99 AF between the matress and the box spring.

I also have Smith and Wesson Model 2206 TGT in my desk, but that is a nice target .22 lr that was discontinued for being a poor seller that is very picky about ammo. (everyone who shoots it wants to buy it though)

Then you get down to a 9mm cheapo carbine and a couple of 10/22 s and a ruger .30-06

If it can't be another Saiga 12, I'd probably just use an 870 pump. My 45 is by the bed too however. It's a Taurus PT145.

However, I suspect the first thing an intruder would notice would be my Rottie, Babe. At around 90 lbs, she's hard to miss.

Edited by Corbin

depending on where I am at the time, it would vary from the x39 tactical setup I have always loaded (probably would be the one) to various other weapons, ranging from 8mm mauser to a 14" blade, to even, yehp, one of my framing hammers. I have too many weapons scattered around my apartment to definitively answer even if the s12 is here, which one is closest to me at the time.

If i had enough time to grab it, it would be the x39 with a 20 round mag of HP in it.

WHOA!!! :eek:

You guys have GUNS in your houses?!?!? NO SHIT!!!!! :unsure:

After I lost all mine, I have never replaced them... I live in a GUN FREE ZONE now!!!

So of course, after posting the gun free zone signs... I do not have to worry about crime or needing a firearm... after all... its clearly posted as a "GUN FREE ZONE" !!!

I am as safe and secure as a bug in a rug... totally GUN FREE! :up:

:smoke:

WHOA!!! :eek:

You guys have GUNS in your houses?!?!? NO SHIT!!!!! :unsure:

After I lost all mine, I have never replaced them... I live in a GUN FREE ZONE now!!!

So of course, after posting the gun free zone signs... I do not have to worry about crime or needing a firearm... after all... its clearly posted as a "GUN FREE ZONE" !!!

I am as safe and secure as a bug in a rug... totally GUN FREE! :up:

:smoke:

^ :lolol::D:lolol:

I'm sure those "gun free zone" signs will work for ya about as well as they did for the students at VA Tech. Moronic liberals and their absolutely asinine "gun control" laws and policies helped get those kids killed.

I'm not trying to be offensive, and I'm sorry if anyone here has family who died in that completely avoidable tragedy. I'm just making a point.

On a sidenote it really is a shame what happened to all your firearms, Indy. I'm thinking about taking my rifles and pistols out for a nice day on the lake soon. I'm sure nothing like your experience will occur. ;)

Edited by post-apocalyptic

My father thinks this logic of "i lost them all" is quite spineless of an approach, just so that you guys know. As he said to me quite a few times (citing this as a main reason he doesnt post here) since this attitude showed itself, "grow a set and put your purses down boys".

LOL, I shit ya not. I kinda have to agree with my dad on this one.

anyhow, back on topic. I posted on the previous page ....carry on! This is actually an interesting topic. Secondary weapon for me as I said, 7.62x39 or anything handy. My apartment is small. Id most likely be grappling with an intruder here.

Why do you guys post and let us all know what other firearms you have in your house. It does not sound logical to me. I am not telling anyone what else I have, besides the obvious Saiga...... Perhaps I should take and pic of all of them and name their locations.

Edited by Deussne

Your right Indy I switched to gun free today. I'm liking it, I'm going to switch to knife free tomorrow as soon as I come up with a way to cut my steak... I'm thinking scissors the plastic ones they gave us in school that you can't cut yourself with..

And I have foam padding coming in for the tile floors

yeh i hear ya about the theft way of logic. how I see it, is why go into details after a point.

BUT - being on this board, anyone will know I have guns, and they better hope the cops get them before I do and ship them off to someplace i never heard of.

I aint too worried about it. I dont keep company guns here.

Why do you guys post and let us all know what other firearms you have in your house. It does not sound logical to me. I am not telling anyone what else I have, besides the obvious Saiga...... Perhaps I should take and pic of all of them and name their locations.

Who am I? Where do I live? How many guns do I have? Where do I keep them? Are any of the guns I have posted about really mine?

If you can not answer the answers to all of these questions, I think that we are safe. On the other hand if you are worried about the Government...

A government that fears it's people governs wisely, A people that fear their government are slaves.

I understand your concern. I only expected caliber and platform i.e 9mm pistol or x39 rifle to be shared just to tap the collective knowledge/wisdom/experience of our community i.e why you/they would choose that particular weapon/caliber for the HD role. It has taken on a life of its own, however.

I just have to say that I was most impressed with the suppressed AR (in 5.56 I presume?)

Mossberg 500, 18" barrel and 00 buck. 1 9mm S&W and 1 9mm Kahr.

Same here! Mossberg 500 18" with 00 buck, a reflex sight and slugs loaded on the side shell holder. I have an S&W Sigma 40 as the backup to the Mossberg. Both those guns are my primary home defense weapons.

The S12 is too evil to bring out for that purpose because I don't want to explain to the cops about the legaility of the gun after the fact. I will bring it out when all hell breaks loose or when the zombies come out.

Mossberg 500, 18" barrel and 00 buck. 1 9mm S&W and 1 9mm Kahr.

Same here! Mossberg 500 18" with 00 buck, a reflex sight and slugs loaded on the side shell holder. I have an S&W Sigma 40 as the backup to the Mossberg. Both those guns are my primary home defense weapons.

The S12 is too evil to bring out for that purpose because I don't want to explain to the cops about the legaility of the gun after the fact. I will bring it out when all hell breaks loose or when the zombies come out.

Yeah, I kinda have to agree on that one. That is partly why I am keeping mine fairly 'sporting', with only the RAA skeleton stock and an 8 or 10 round. I might add a flashlight and lazer, but putting 15 rails a tripod , dummy grenade launcher, porkypine, and a trailer hitch on there only makes it look like you were just waiting for an excuse to shoot someone. Especially if you aren't really using all of that stuff. Plus all of that stuff just makes your gun heavy, complicated and clumsy. I don't want rails snagging on the curtains.

I can understand all of the ' Stand up to the man' type defiance, and even agree, but it's more than the govt, we need each incident of self defense to create a good public perception, and all of that just gets in the way. People should see practical firearms and self defense as a normal reasonable thing to do, not the extreme fringe. Like the lady last fall who shot the guy who was going to do a shooting spree at that church. She just had a normal gun she knew how and when to use.

His backup comes in the form of 9mm, .40, .45 and an 8lb Chihuahua..lol

No shit, they are the worst (little dogs) I can barely sneak into the house at night anymore

post-1914-1242145656_thumb.jpg

The attack dog of the household

I only noticed one suppressed firearm for home defense out of all the posts!

Rifles are going to be much louder than the shotguns and most handguns. If you mag dump a rifle in confined spaces you probably won't be able to hear the 911 operator after the incident!

Just some food for thought, you and your family's life may be saved but you risk serious permanent hearing damage by firing in confined areas, especially with a rifle.

I still think the shotgun is king of home defense, but there is something to be said for suppressors, especially if your defense gun is a rifle!

Agreed, supressors are nice. It's completely ridiculous that they are illegal unless you jump through all the hoops to own one.

That said though, there's really no supressing either one of my backups...lol.