Another WTF on GB

I kind of like the "distressed", (or "aged" as the ad calls it), finish. It's pretty unique, and if it's sealed with clearcoat as the ad claims, it's not overly susceptible to corrosion. I wouldn't pay what this guy is asking for it, but I do think the overall look is pretty cool, (minus the shitty folding stock, but that's easily replaced).

Hang around a guitar shop and you will quickly tire of "Distressed" finishes, which evidently are in vogue now. Something about watching a guy take a brand new $1700 guitar, sticking it in a rubber vice and literally beating it with a steel chain and hitting it with a wire brush on an angle grinder to somehow add 4-500 in "value" to it does something to my stomach i do not appreciate. Its right up there with the jeans they sell with the frayed edges and holes in the knee. Ill pass. Its a good technique for a jeweler or gunsmith to know for movie props and the like, but i dont want to pay for it on any brand new guns.

Well, there is a difference between "distressing" a guitar's finish as you've described, "distressed" jeans, and the "aged" finish on this gun. In the first two cases, real damage has been done to the items in order to achieve that look. In the case of this S-12, the steel hasn't been damaged, the black finish has just been mostly stripped off and then the steel has been protected with a clear coat.

As I said, I'm not bidding on this gun or anything, but I like the look. It's definitely different and has its own appeal.

Edited by post-apocalyptic
I wouldn't pay two dollars for this.

"cycles flawlessly" what an anomaly!

You wouldn't pay $2 for a restored S-12 with a custom vented foregrip and 2 Surefire 12-round mags included? I'd pay at least $550. ;)

What's wrong with the seller's claim that it cycles flawlessly? A lot of recently produced S-12's do not, (the vodka specials).

I think it's got a pretty cool vibe to it. I hate it when all the shit looks the same. Kudos to this guy for thinking out of the box.

EXACTLY.

To my taste, I would go the wood furniture route with a "matching" distressed finish.

And IMO, that handguard looks like fat, hairy ass. :ded:

I like the distressed finish, that handguard does look awful though, old wood would look much better. While "converted by a jeweler" is an odd detail to throw in as a selling point, a lot of the skills and tools do overlap with gun smithing. A good jeweler should make for a decent gunsmith and FWIW, a professional jeweler would likely have a sand blaster. I think that finish is intentional, not a failure. I still wouldn't do it to one of my guns though, to each his own I guess.

Not a fan of the furniture but the finish might be cool. I am sure they photographed in black and white to show contrast of light and dark, but I would rather see a color photograph. I have considered looking into a "acid washed" look for a future project. Not sure where to get that done though. Want to go with a Mad Max style look for a 7.62 x 39 project.

I don't mind the (lack of) finish. If I wanted something like that though, I'd probably put distressed wood furniture on it. Maybe even something "Steampunk" looking, like it came from a post-apocalyptic future (like Road Warrior or the game Fallout).

Corbin

I don't mind the (lack of) finish. If I wanted something like that though, I'd probably put distressed wood furniture on it. Maybe even something "Steampunk" looking, like it came from a post-apocalyptic future (like Road Warrior or the game Fallout).

Corbin

What He said. The "we got mutant plastic eating termites" look on the handguard gots to go along with that folder -- at least try to distress an ACE folder for that asking price.

IMaybe even something "Steampunk" looking, like it came from a post-apocalyptic future (like Road Warrior or the game Fallout).

post-3401-1244331123_thumb.jpg

^^^ And its fully functional IIRC.

I kinda like the distressed look,..post apocolyptic back to the future look,..

kinda looks like the whole thing was heated and washed with Galvanizing (zinc), also looks like,...Paint removed,... wiped down with black shoe polish, light buffing with a cloth, an Wa - lah!

wonder how well it holds up?,. or if the epoxy will yellow?

That hand guard blows

My personal 12 has a very "distressed" finish on it, and it looks nothing like that! Id post a close up with good light, but Id never hear the end of it from a few of you all! :)

Something tells me this Saiga will be re-listed several times, and will not be sold. At least not if he keeps that price on it.

For $1,400.00 I would expect a TIG welded rear Tromix plate; an Ace or Tromix folder stock; and the extra, unused old FCG holes TIG welded and finished.

$10.00 says he got tired of screwing with the gun after he ran some steel wool and Naval jelly, or even fine grit sandpaper over it, and decided to not finish it right. He got so far, cleaned it, and just clear-coated it. That IS NOT a distressed look. It is a "I got too lazy to finish it right, and decided to cut corners and make a quick profit" look.