10 or 12 round mags?

10 or 12 round mag?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• 10 round
    • 12 round

I've owned both. I prefer the relatively shorter length of the 10 shot. Actually, I prefer an 8 shot, but that wasn't one of the choices. The 12 rounders were a bit long (mine are early ones that could hold 13).

Corbin

I have two 12s, that said, they're cumbersome in length, I'll buy no more.

I like 8 or 10 rnd, prefer 10, for the range and possible combat.

For home defense, my 5 rnd mags are the chosen ones.

i like the 12 rounders i bought shortly after i knew of them.mine work well and i can stand the bulk in exchange for 12rounds as fas as i can pull the trigger.

pleased with this system,,,

I have 4 Surefire 12's and an MD drum (and the stock 5).

No problems with any of them yet.

I do have some concern about durability of the 12's.

In hindsight, it may make more sense to just go with more

drums instead of all of the 12's. It's only money. :)

I'll pick up some 10's and 5's one of these days too.

No such thing as too many mags.

Drums are great. I've got a couple myself. They're heavy and bulky, which makes them harder to carry around, but for range time, you can't beat them for sheer firepower. The 12 rounders are a bit long for my taste, as I already said, but they ARE easier to carry around, for what it's worth.

I agree, no such thing as too many mags.

Corbin

In hindsight, it may make more sense to just go with more

drums instead of all of the 12's. It's only money. :)

No such thing as too many mags.

I wish I could afford another MD20... Or two..... Ummmmm, make it three :rolleyes:

Yep, never enough.

Do you think its a bit too much to have 10 mags ready for each of my pistols at all times?

And lets not mention the number of mags of 5.56.

Edited by ChileRelleno
I wish I could afford another MD20... Or two..... Ummmmm, make it three :rolleyes:

Yep, never enough.

Do you think its a bit too much to have 10 mags ready for each of my pistols at all times?

i agree with chilerelleno i dont care if its 2, 5, 8, 10, 12, 20 rounds i'll take any and all of them i can deal with the lenght and size of them all i love burnin rounds and chille no its not a bit much to keep them all loaded never know this day and age what shit might go down i do the same

12s are fun, but having both 12s and 10s, I have to say that the 12s are very long and cumbersome. Plus if you ever put a vertical grip, you'll have to get used to the 12s as they tend to bump up against the grip just enough that it complicates switching mags. A shorter vertical grip wouldn't be a problem and it's not fatal, it's just not easy like a small cap mag with a normal grip.

States With Magazine Capacity Restrictions:

CA - 10 Rds, DC - 10 Rds, HI - 10 Rds, MA - 10 Rds, MD - 20Rds, NY - 10 Rds, NJ - 15 Rds.

Another reason 10's are most popular

What about reliability? Nobody spoke of it. Is there a difference between 10 and 12 rounders? Wghich is more likely to empty without any feed or eject failures? 12 rnd surfire or 10 rnd promag, or 10 rnd AGP?

What's wrong with having at least one of every mag available for the S-12? One of em even makes a cool conversation piece and a great doorstop! :haha:

I refuse to choose. I say get one of each and see for yourself.

The Promag and the AGP are almost identical in shape and size. They also have about the same curvature as the factory 8rd....just longer.

The Surefire is about 1/4 to 1/2" longer than the other two.

AGP = 11 1/8" on the backside.

Promag 10 rd = 11 1/4"

Surefire 10 = approx 11 3/4"

12 rd = 13 1/2"

• 1 year later...

I figure if I can't protect myself from a burglar/invader with a full 10 round mag, the MF deserves to live the rest of his life in the wheel-chair those ten rounds will prep him for. If it is a longer timed or 'bigger' home invasion, I keep a bunch of factory five rounders around to reload quickly. :killer:

I run a Mil-Spec Russian 8 for SD/HD.

For the range, or extras;

AGP-10s for 10 rounds.

MD-20s for drums.

Surefire 12s lack the power to reliably cycle 3" magnum due to the weight of all those rounds.

Surefire admits this.

For 3" rounds, Surefire are the most reliable in their 8 round configuration.

Now if you're a race-gun guy, the Surefire 12 will do you well with your 2 3/4" rounds.

That being said, all the US mags can benefit from tuning to achieve the highest possible reliability.

I would avoid ProMag sticks until the next runs with the harder polymer come out, but when they eventually do, they'll be the nicest looking US mag IMO.

I've tuned a ProMag 10 to run 3" mag reliably, but due to the soft polymer of the run, didn't trust it & sold it as part of a package, with a pre-sale warning.

Edited by Paulyski

The only aftermarket box mags that I have/use are SureFire mags.

SureFire 10 rounders get my vote.

While the SureFire12s are nice, they have a documented history of feed lip failure under freezing conditions and when shooting magnum rounds.

The 10s don't seem to have such issues... Enough said.

Now if eight rounders were a option in this poll, then Izzy 8rnd factory mags would be the hands down winners... Case closed, no competition.

Now if Mike would only bring his DoubleStacks to market :rolleyes:

Yep, never enough.

the only thing that bothers me about keeping all my mags ready is that I don't like the constant load on the spring. I keep three or so ready at all times, and i switch them out about once a week. maybe an unnecessary precaution, but I don't want a wore out spring jamming my gun when i need it.

the only thing that bothers me about keeping all my mags ready is that I don't like the constant load on the spring. I keep three or so ready at all times, and i switch them out about once a week. maybe an unnecessary precaution, but I don't want a wore out spring jamming my gun when i need it.

News Flash! Springs wear out from repeated use, not from taking a set due to long term compression... You are wearing out your springs.

While there may have been issues with old springs poorly manufactured / made of poor materials taking a compression set, it is pretty much a non-issue today.

News Flash! Springs wear out from repeated use, not from taking a set due to long term compression... You are wearing out your springs.

While there may have been issues with old springs poorly manufactured / made of poor materials taking a compression set, it is pretty much a non-issue today.

hmmm.... interesting. i guess that makes sense. I guess i always saw the long term compression as being the main threat. but I'm young and stupid so I guess I shouldn't do much thinking on my own anyway! rolleyes.gif

hmmm.... interesting. i guess that makes sense. I guess i always saw the long term compression as being the main threat. but I'm young and stupid so I guess I shouldn't do much thinking on my own anyway! rolleyes.gif

That attitude/personal insight sucks... I really hope that was sarcasm, at least the emoticon is oft used for sarcasm.

Long term compression may pose some problem(s).

Mainly in feed lip deformation of some types of steel/aluminum mags with very strong springs and max round count.

I've heard about this repeatedly in various AR mags, some say to load one or two shy of max load to avoid potential problems in mags being stored long term.

I like them all!

10rd is a nice size, but I would own atleast two 15rd or 20rd stick mags if someone made them.

Why not a 20rd drum? a little awkward on the sides, but i like the look and concept better.

Drums are great for holding a positions, but for grab & go while 1/2 asleep, the lighter weight & 3" magnum ammo ability, puts my vote on Russian 8...

MD-20 has been as reliable as the Russian 8's for me, so I really look forward to Mike's doublestacks.