Anyone know of a good red dot for $200 or less?

My BSA RGB Dot scope died on me. It was a good little scope and I really liked the blue dot. Got it cheap. Ya, I can hear you all now. I know... I know...

Anyways, it worked fine with slugs and off course bird shot but after the 10th round of shooting 3in magnums, the objective shattered. :ded:

Yes, of course, you all can say, "get an Eotech" or "get an Aimpoint" or what ever $500+ scope but I don't have the budget for that. (too many other toys to maintain). So does anyone know of a good dot scope to fit my budget that will last?? :cryss:

I have hear good things about the Vortex strikefire but I don't like where the power switch is located. I do like that they offer lifetime warranty on their products.

I had a SPOT red dot from mountplus.com that I used and abused for more than three years and when I sold it it was in good working order.

Ultradot!

http://www.ultradotwest.com/ultradot_2008_002.htm

http://www.larrysguns.com/Departments/UltraDot-Optics.aspx

Re-edited. Reason for re-edit: Not a conflict of interest. None of the contributors on this site sell Ultradots. Mods, if you're going to delete the two links in this post, please take a deep breath and get ready to delete every single URL on the site that points to a "non-contributor". There are several in this very thread that you seem to have overlooked.

Edited by aresv
removed Non contributor links....
If you don't mind having it side-mounted, the PK-AS is a superior optic, though it's a little more than you want to spend. Kobras are also nice, but the PK-AS is much nicer for not much more money.

+1 paid $150 for a PK-AS that doesn't light up from doug a while ago. Used it on both the S12 and .308 with no problems losing zero or breaking due to recoil. Russian optics are tough although I heard some kobra sights do not stand up to the recoil of the S12.

Right on RobRez. Millets are good stuff. I didn't start using a closed tube red dot till I took up bullseye pistol shooting. Did some research, listened to the experts, and they all recommended either a Millet or Ultradot. If those things can stand up to the recoil from .45's and big bore revolvers, they can certainly handle a semiautomatic 12 gauge.

Thanks guys.

The Burris is a holo sight which I'm not so keen on for my application.

The Ultradot looks like a Millet sight or the many like those from Midway USA

The SPOT sight looks like an Aimpoint knockoff. Lately I'm a little leary about knockoff scopes. There's just too many out there and its hard to tell the good ones from the bad ones without seeing it first hand(not just on the web) and even still you're not sure if someone slipped you a cheap airsoft replica claiming it can withstand recoil. I had one like that happen recently at the gun show with an Eotech knockoff, its now going on my new .22LR.

The Vortex is kinda like an Aimpoint but different, and I like that it also offers a 2x adder with the package plus high mount ring to co-witness with irons. That looks like the way to go.

BTW, if I add some low cost AR type irons for co-witnessing, it would bring my total cost to about $250. That would put me in the range for the Bushnell version of the Eotech. Anything good about those? I've heard mixed reviews about them.

Thanks guys.

The Burris is a holo sight which I'm not so keen on for my application.

The Ultradot looks like a Millet sight or the many like those from Midway USA

The SPOT sight looks like an Aimpoint knockoff. Lately I'm a little leary about knockoff scopes. There's just too many out there and its hard to tell the good ones from the bad ones without seeing it first hand(not just on the web) and even still you're not sure if someone slipped you a cheap airsoft replica claiming it can withstand recoil. I had one like that happen recently at the gun show with an Eotech knockoff, its now going on my new .22LR.

The Vortex is kinda like an Aimpoint but different, and I like that it also offers a 2x adder with the package plus high mount ring to co-witness with irons. That looks like the way to go.

BTW, if I add some low cost AR type irons for co-witnessing, it would bring my total cost to about $250. That would put me in the range for the Bushnell version of the Eotech. Anything good about those? I've heard mixed reviews about them.

Another Holo site. I almost bought one, but noticed the reviews. The early reviews on the Bushnell were good, but the later reviews were not good, and consistently so. I figured that the quality of the Bushnell unit had slipped. Found a new Eotech on Ebay, the AA battery model, for $340 delivered and couldn't be happier, but that was for an AR, a .50 Beowulf. Too high of a profile on my S-12 for my liking, I'm ordering the Burris FFII w/ the picatinny protector. I'm not worried about co-witnessing my S-12. I won't be hunting or competing with it and in a self defense situation it would be point and shoot.

The burris fastfire II will almost act as a ghost ring, should the thing fail on you. I couldn't be happier with mine. I think an eotech is more rugged so if you can get a cheap one i'd go with that. The fastfire can take the abuse, doesn't weigh anything, gives you an excellent field of view not like looking through a toilet paper tube and it doesn't cost as much as the more expensive, heavier, not shotgun proven optics out there

besides Jack Travers uses one on his competition saiga. He must know something about something.

side note: Look how fluid his gun charges. amazing.

I think an eotech is more rugged so if you can get a cheap one i'd go with that.

Not meaning to bash EOTech but many failures with these on the military side of the house on issued carbines. I have used them on military weapons and they did work...however, they are known to have battery box issues and not be able to handle heat off a weapon very well. Anything manmade can fail, if it is for a defense or duty weapon, I'd make sure you are set up with iron sights as a backup just in case.

I just meant if you dropped it, there is a lot more protecting the top. And that's just speculation, i'm not about to test it. I have also heard about the overheating and battery box issues as well. I've never experienced them myself but i've also never been in an extended firefight where the gun gets hot enough to do any harm. If the sight is left on you only get 12 or so hours of life and that's dicked me a few times. +1 to the irons for that reason.

If you don't mind having it side-mounted, the PK-AS is a superior optic, though it's a little more than you want to spend. Kobras are also nice, but the PK-AS is much nicer for not much more money.

+1 paid $150 for a PK-AS that doesn't light up from doug a while ago. Used it on both the S12 and .308 with no problems losing zero or breaking due to recoil. Russian optics are tough although I heard some kobra sights do not stand up to the recoil of the S12.

I really like the Strike fire I am actually looking at getting another one!

I got a Bushnell trophy 30mm red dot sight on my Saiga .223. I had it on a Cetme and my FAL and had no problems. It has adjustments fora 3moa, 6moa cross hairs and circle w/ dot in center red or green for indoors/low light. 100.00 Just my .02....

I had the chance to mess w/ the vortex strikefire this weekend and thought it was really good. I'm still a little unsure of the magnifier w/it but other then that it was really nice. I like the fact you can switch from red to green dots, the lense caps were decent, the mount could be a little better but hey its under $150 so IMO a great buy. I think im going to actually pick one up to run on my AR,PS90,GSG, and even my Saiga's..... It will prolly be a month or so, but will try to remember to post range reports of it, when i get one.

My dad taught me this a long time ago "buy shit...buy twice". A 150$ sight that breaks after 1000 rounds is a waste. Spend the extra money and get something that can stand up to the shotgun. I know i talk about the burris fastfire II a lot, but it was made to handle the power of shotguns. Eotech is another good choice but considerably more expensive. I had a knock off aimpoint that i put on a 22...worked great for years, held zero for the most part...surely it'll work on a shotgun...nope! I put a utg flashlight on my shotgun (disregarding my dad's lesson i.e. bought shit) that worked for about 10 rounds. Shotgun recoil is a mother. I'm trying to save you money. A burris is 180$. A knock off eotech is 150$, it'll last 100-1000rounds before breaking (as in no longer working not just losing zero) now you spend another 150$ for the same sight twice. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. So now we're at 3hun for 2 worthless sights when you could have just spent 180. Another thing to consider is when people write a review of one of these knock off sights chances are they haven't even tested it and if they have, they usually don't put many rounds through the gun before saying "wow only 75$ and it was great at the range today". Also just because it can stand up to a 22lr doesn't mean it can stand up to a Barret 50cal. I've put several 1000 rounds through my burris without needing any adjustment. Jack Travers uses one on a competition saiga. The sight is generally only a few bucks more than a knock off aimpoint eotec trijicon or whatever from japan.

The vortex strikefire has a lifetime warranty? so how is it a waste of money. They state it can withstand mag load recoils,etc. Im not trying to argue but you i can also state you cant dog the strikefire when you havent tried it..... It has a ton of great reports on AR15.com w/people chiming in that it has lasted XXXX thousand rounds on this rifle,etc. I agree buy crap get crap, but also sometimes you find a good product that doesnt break the bank. I hated my eotech! not a clone but the real deal. After seeing the strikefire first hand i started researching them, and the great reviews def outways any bad!

Now without personally owning one of these and trying it on my saiga you could be right w/the shotgun? But w/the customer service ive read about them, i dont see where you could go wrong. You could always run it on another weapon if it didnt work out on the saiga.

Edited by idwin

SPOT MKIII:

P1010085.jpg

Similar to an Aimpoint, but I'd stop short of calling it a "clone" (battery type/location and controls are different). IME, it's one of the best "cheap" RDS out there. I've been running several of them on various guns (to include ARs, AKs, a 10/22 and an M-11/9 SMG) for a number of years now, and have had no issues with any of them.

Bushnell TRS-25:

P1010059.jpg

Has the form factor of an Aimpoint Micro, at about 1/4 of the price. With mine, the dot appears to dim if you orient it at the top or extreme left edge of the sight window. While a bit distracting, it does not affect function. Not sure if this bug is a design issue or if my sight is just bad; I plan to contact Bushnell to see what they say.

Sorry man my comments weren't directed at you or the strikefire at all. I hope the strikefire works out. I've done this same post several times where someone says hey i think i'll buy a (insert random ebay chinese clone sight) because its only 25$ +50$ shipping for a sight that like an EOTech...What a great deal! Those people assume if it looks like one it must preform like one which is hardly ever the case. Usually about a month or so later they post the, "looking for a good red dot as my EOH-tech from taiwan crapped out on me" I always mention that the burris is made for shotguns and can handle the recoil and costs only slightly more than a throwaway sight and they end up buying a burris or eotech or aimpoint....after they throw the old one away (with their 100+or-$). If an s12 was a 22lr you could put a bsa or haikko or trijicon acog and not notice a real difference except how much dough you have left over, as the recoil wont affect anything. The saiga is a different beast, and it'll destroy most that's out there. Please don't take my comments as a direct attack at you it was more for general info.

Vitamink is spot on with his comments. Go with a reputable brand name so when it shits the bed, maybe the warranty will cover it. Speaking of sights handling recoil, attention needs to be payed to the mounts as well. Factory EOTech mounts suck. Had an EOTech fall off my duty weapon while firing. ARMS mounts suck ass as well. Replace with a Larue and never worry again.

Anybody have any suggestions that will work well for hunting or skeet shooting?

Just most of the sights that've been mentioned so far. :D Pretty much every model suggested here is an accurate sight that allows quick target acquisition.

I'm not going to buy one real soon, (I'm liking my Krebs iron sights), but I'm leaning toward a Burris FastFire II, (mounted on a quick-detach side rail). They're reasonably priced and have a lot of fans.

Edited by post-apocalyptic