I am thinking about buying my wife a Subaru Outback. My wife likes how they look and she likes the fact that they sit up just a bit higher than the typical sedan or wagon. They seem like a pretty good value and they get excellent crash test ratings. Does anyone have an Outback and what are your thoughts on it?

WJ.

I was listening to Skeeters radio show one day and a woman called to ask a question. "Skeeter what type of car you NEVER see in your shop?" His response was "A Subaru Forrester". Skeeter is very friendly

and answers his emails. Run it by him and see what he says. He is a good guy and very friendly.

http://www.texascardoctor.com/

Good luck,

Yakdung

My husband's dream car is an Outback Sedan, but they become too expensive compared to other cars out there. He also loves the true rally cars that Subaru puts out. Before I met him, he had a Subaru and loved it. I asked him about it and his only comment was to get the biggest engine size with the most cylinders you can get if you go the Subaru route as they feel a bit under-powered in the tiny V4 flavors.

If I were you I would buy an outback as soon as you can. I live in Montana and most folks I know drive a freakin' outback. The Forester is smaller, the outback wagon is what I got for my lady! They will go through good snow with bald tires no problem! Super reliable, 28 mpg. To quote Mr. Spicolli "Dude, Totally Awesome!" I want one now.

The engine size on the Outback is a huge trade off. The four cylinder gets 22 city and 29 highway, while the six gets 18 city and 25 highway. My wife only putters around the city, so maybe the four cylinder would be adequate. I'm just not sure which would be best for her. I do know that when gas was $4.00 a gallon, I certainly wished that her current SUV got better gas milage. But, if it were for me, and not her, i'd get the six! I guess to be safe, she should test drive a four and a six and decide for herself. Luckily, the price of the six is not very much more than a comparably optioned four cylinder.

WJ

I can't speak for the Outback model personally, but my dad, brother, and I all drive Imprezas. I've got a 97 Impreza Outback Sport, my bro has an 01 Impreza Outback Sport, and my dad has an 04 Impreza WRX wagon. We're all hooked; we all love our cars. I've taken my OBS on trails that I saw only Jeeps on. It's been all across the country, and it has hauled everything from mattresses, to a washing machine, to a gun safe, to a lazy-boy. Good luck finding a used one though. Check craigslist in your state of residence and bordering states.

IMG00027.jpg

I love my 96 Outback Legacy Wagon. I bought it last year with 160+k and it runs better than most new American cars I've owned. AWD, responsive and even peppy with the 5 speed (even though it is a 4 banger).

Wouldn't hesitate to own a Subaru...I am looking for an old Brat to turn into a farm truck.

Changing the plugs are a real mother...

I can't speak about the new Outback, but have owned three Subarus and loved them all. My folks have an 03 Outback and they really like it. My Dad bought it a couple years after my first Subaru. He always bought American and was a little pissed when I got my first Subaru. All it took was a commute back and forth to work in the snow and he admitted he really liked it.

If you get the 2.5 turbo it can be built to be wicked fast. I had a 99 Impreza that had an STi swap (2.0 JDM) that was fully built with forged internals and a custom tune. It put down 362awhp on the dyno and was scary fast on the road. Every other car I've driven or have ridden in feels slow compared to that Scoob.

Well, the Mrs. has her eye on a 2010 Outback 2.5i Limited. However, the 3.6R might be a better way to go. I was surprised by the fact that they are actually pretty fancy inside.

WJ

Edited by WarriorJudge

If she is just city driving....She doesn't need to floor it and race to the next red light. She would be fine with the 4cyl. Heck, I don't think there is anything wrong with the 4 banger. It's not a Challenger or freakin Camaro, it's a safe ultra reliable, rain nor sleet nor snow, unstoppable WAGON. Get the best milage version you can get! My best friend is a mechanic at a local Nissan dealership, and he does a lot of side work on cars. He drives a 4cyl Subaru Outback wagon and swears by the $ cyl. You get the same transmission as the 6cyl with less impact on it = more reliable.

If she is just city driving....She doesn't need to floor it and race to the next red light. She would be fine with the 4cyl. Heck, I don't think there is anything wrong with the 4 banger. It's not a Challenger or freakin Camaro, it's a safe ultra reliable, rain nor sleet nor snow, unstoppable WAGON. Get the best milage version you can get! My best friend is a mechanic at a local Nissan dealership, and he does a lot of side work on cars. He drives a 4cyl Subaru Outback wagon and swears by the 4 cyl. You get the same transmission as the 6cyl with less impact on it = more reliable.

I've been an admirer of Subarus for some time, but don't have experience with the Outback; my car is a 2005 WRX. It's a sweet little car, been perfectly reliable, and the AWD has been most appreciated. I don't see myself replacing unless it dies or something, which probably won't happen for a long, long time. When I do replace it, it will most likely be with another Subaru. From my experience with the WRX, I'd have no reservations at all about getting an Outback... or Forester, or Legacy, or any of the Impreza variants.

In short if you buy one you'll be driving a car with no personality forever.

Some people don't rely on their car to determine their self worth :unsure: , but rather rely on them to get back and forth to their destination of choice. Personality or not, it's one hell of a ride.

My 96 has the turbo and of course I run it like crazy, but it still gets 26 MPG average- ad I drive thru B'ham proper to get to work...

Subarus are great cars if you drive in the snow or lots of unimproved roads. All the advantages of 4 wheel drive but without being in a clumsy top heavy box-mobile, suffering from shitty gas milage.

I got a 2002 WRX and still going strong, though I've only driven it through Birmingham twice!

• Like 1

I was on the Baja design list and had an order in to buy the first model of the Baja. That was going to be an awesome little vehicle till they castrated it.

I had forgotten the hauling. The V6s can haul more and I find that as I get older, I frequently am hauling more and more crap around. I doubt you'll regret getting a V4, but there are times when you might find yourself wishing you had a V6.

(edited to explain castration)...

- They moved it from a truck to car chassis, which altered the suspension and lowered clearance by 3"

- They dropped the engine power by almot 40 horsepower to improve gas mileage.

- The altered the truckbed access to be a tiny dodgeball sized port instead of allowing you to extend the truck bed into the cab, like the Avalanche. This was supposed to be a mini-sized Avalanche type vehicle.

Edited by EricinMaryland

Love Subaru cars, the boxer motor is solid, especially the STI cars. They are stout cars, especially in accidents. I can't see a downfall except the lack-luster styling the outback has...

CHECK OUT THIS TRAINING VIDEO...see how close he gets :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkNzkutTiGs

Edited by Vultite

In for a penny, in for a pound - I am the local Subaru dealer's new BFF. I bought my daughter an Impreza and I pick up the Outback Saturday. Thanks for the encouragement. It sounds like you guys and gals are very pleased with your Subarus and that makes me feel better about these purchases. Also, I read that both the Impreza and the Outback are tops in their categories for safety and I opened up Motor Trend last night and discovered that they voted the Outback SUV of the year. That is pretty good timing.

So, if you see a middle age guy without a wheel chair or limp, and not too fat, greeting you at a Wal Mart in Wake Forest, NC, that is me working my part time job to pay for two Subarus.

WJ

Uncle is a rural mail carrier. 250 mile daily route. Loved his 2006 Outback, except the mud really messes up the rotar/brake hub assemblies. Replaced about every 7,000 to 10,000 miles. Great snow/mud traction. 2nd one he has had for mail route, other was an 03. Both years had the mud problem. 3 to 4 month a year it is a regular mud problem rurally. Went back to Jeep. He still has an 08 for personal driver. :smoke:

Edited by Ruffian72

Have a 2002 WRX, thing runs like a top. My dad has a 2003 WRX wagon with 180,000, runs like a top. There is talk of Subaru bringing their diesel to the states. They put it in their Forester overseas and it gets nearly 40mpg. We'll see what they do here to comply with the new mileage regulations.

We are on our 3rd Subaru. It's a 98 Forester. We still have the first one...it's a 89 GL with four wheel drive compound low. Now that car will go anywhere. If there is a weak point in the subaru I would say it is the suspension and related parts...probably wont have that problem with a new car but our second subaru wagon kept having problem with the air shocks??? and drive axels. This Forester is now having problems with the struts...and I didn't even off road the Subarus. But we will probably trade it in in the next year or so for a new subaru.

Subarus are awesome! I had a 2000 2.5RS, and my wife has a 1998 Forester. The Forester is very reliable, and has great handling and good power. My one and only gripe is the mediocre gas mileage(we've never gotten better than 25mpg, even with exclusively highway driving), but my friend with a 06 Legacy Outback gets almost 30mpg.

The Impreza is a different beast altogether... I had a cold air intake, headers, high flow cat, and Apex'i N1 exhaust. I also had H&R lowering springs on AGX adjustable struts, and adjustable front and rear sway bars. That car sounded awesome, and carved up the back roads like you wouldn't believe. Unfortunately, I had to sell it to pay off debt bawling.gif

They are one of the most dependable cars out there.

I bought an 87 as a beater while I fix my towncar.

Great milage & easy to fix, I just like the land yachts.

Back in 1995 the WRX's were pulling Viper-fast 1/4 miles in Japan.

Why can't ours do that?

The dealer has a loaded WRX STi on the showroom floor. It has all sorts of add on parts and extra gauges. It looks awesome. My daughter really liked that one, but it was $36,500! Way out of her budgeted amount and the insurance would be outrageous.

I got her a black Impreza 2.5i Premium. It is very nice. I was trying to convince her that the 2.5i was nice enough, but I gave in to her desire for alloy wheels and fog lights, which come on the Premium but not the base Impreza.

The wife's Outback is the 2.5i Limited in Satin White Pearl. I tried to buy her the less expensive Premium, but my marching orders were to get one with heated seats and satellite radio, so I had to upgrade her -- my powers of persuasion do not work very well on my girls. (That is probably a nice way to say that they are spoiled, lol).

WJ