I was trying to find a list of members who are on Facebook and I did not find it. I know a few guys and gals use Facebook. I have a page, primarily to keep track of what my teenagers post.

So, who has a Facebook page? As noted, I'm guilty as charged.

WJ

Only a couple of days ago. I resisted on philosophical grounds; most people who use facebook only do so for the illusion of staying in touch. They can look at their nice big list of 500 facebook friends and feel beloved even though they haven't actually spoken to most of them for years, or in the worst case haven't even met half of them or more. I dislike electronic communication as well; most of the communication is lost when you can't hear tone of voice or see body language. Face-to-face communication is also better for your mental and emotional health because it stimulates your senses and triggers hormones and emotions and such in a way that is impossible through email. Those are just my fundamental objections, and I won't even get into the more specific stupidity that goes on there. Privacy, of course, is a huge concern for those of us that are...well, concerned with privacy. Facebook hates your privacy more than any Orwellian tyrant you could imagine.

All that having been ranted, I realized that not having a facebook is like not having a cell phone these days. For better or worse, some people will only stay in touch with each other if they don't actually have to set time aside to talk to them. I call it worse. It is just like globalization though: some of us may not like it, but it isn't going away. So now JTP has a facebook, too.

• Like 1

WJ and Juggernaut are a couple of my friends on there.... I resisted for awhile and told myself it was a stupid waste of time. JTP I have to disagree though with some of the things you said...Some people may be so lonely and pitiful in their real lives that they need a huge list of so called "friends" they can look at for strength to get through a day.....barf...that ain't me dude.

For one thing, if you are not someone I already consider my "friend", you don't get added. I've got more real world friends than I can count and do not need an internet crutch. As far as privacy goes....well if you are logged in here on the forum, or even have an IP address then your "privacy" is already history. As was already mentioned, I don't type anything on the web I would be afraid to say to anyone's face. If people would keep that policy they wouldn't have to worry with tinfoil.

Like I said though, I did resist making a page for awhile, even used to tease Racegal for finding yet another internet medium for spending too much time on....to me, there's a whole lot of things in real life (not involving computers) that already don't get enough attention so it sucks to spend more time on the web than we were already spending here and other places. Since I try to do business on the web, it already consumes way too much of my life, so I wish she and I both would spend much less time online. She has at least compromised some by spending less time here on the forum, making up for the time she spends on facebook. She says she only got on there to spy on her kids. That's not how she words it but it's the same thing really as "keeping an eye on them and what they are doing". I have mixed feelings about that, and some other things about facebook and how it allows people who are overly nosey to dig into others' business where they normally wouldn't be given passage....

My main gripe with FB is the amount of [iMO] stupid shit that's purely a waste of time, like Farmville :rolleyes:, and all those other things on there like that. To me, if you need to have a virtual garden to tend, or a virtual aquarium to keep up with, or a virtual barnyard.....etc....then you need to really get a life! There are a lot of more important things that you are not getting acomplished while sitting there doing that shit every day. Jeez! Even Mafia Wars and all those games, surveys, groups, quizzes, god the list goes on....what is the real point? Are people really that bored in today's society??? I guess you can tell I am definitely not a "gamer". What's the matter with real life? God I sure wish I was so bored, or had time enough to do all the things OFF the computer that I want to get done every day, that I had several hours a day to throw away in cyberspace.:rolleyes:

No...for me....I have benefited in just one way from FB. I was successful in getting back in touch with good friends I miss from the good ol days...before we had computers! I'm talking about TRUE FRIENDS... the ones who won't stab you in the back, or write you off for a few stupid internet mistakes or total fuckups caused by lack of REAL LIFE communication when things were typed on a keyboard and then misread through a fucking hate filter....and someone could not find where they lost their big boy pants so they could pick up a fucking phone and work things out, because they didn't really want to actually know the truth maybe?

And yes I have taken advantage of that, and have actually setup times and physically reunited with some of these real friends I knew from over 20 yrs ago. It was really great and now we have each other's updated info and addresses. Some of my best, oldest friends were surprisingly living very close by. These are guys and gals I knew back when I lived in the city. Turns out they too got sick of that lifestyle and moved out in the country. :super: It's amazing what can be done with today's new technology if you use it for good, instead of just waste it away...

Sorry to rant...there's my first one for the new year! :smoke:

All that said, if you consider me a friend, or would like to be my friend, send me a PM and we can add each other on FB. New friendships are born every day. It's a good thing because way too many are lost every day due to incompetence, ignorance, or pure arrogance.

stupid shit that's purely a waste of time, like Farmville

I do not play Farmville... but am I the only one who played Harvest Moon as a kid? :rolleyes: I am a gamer, (though I'm getting better...) so I understand the want to do stuff in video games you simply can't do in real life. Living in the city (or burbs in my case) you can't really grow a bunch of crops and raise cattle and stuff, so there you go. I know it sounds really lame when I try to explain it... :ded:

I did say "IMO"...

That's a good point though about some people not having the ability to have a real garden. I guess one reason I get so bothered with farmville is, we did have a killer garden growing here this past year, but it sat there needing attention it didn't get because I wasn't able to put the time into it I needed to, so instead of having a bunch of killer hot sauce bottled up now to sell and share with friends, I had to just let all those gorgeous looking tomatos and peppers rot on the vines and bushes. It was very sad for me.

I caved recently and created a page. Funny how many people from high school suddenly fell out of the woodwork wanting to be "friends"! LOL These are the same people who wouldn't give you the time of day in high school, or who you never wanted to befriend in the first place. News flash tards: if we weren't friends then chances are we aint gonna be now! Did have to contact a girl from the old neighborhood who totally blossomed into a hottie though! ;)

I'm in, though reluctanly so. Upside, keep up with those you give a hoot about. Downside, EVERYBODY wants to be your friend. I don't spend much time there, I'm on here too damn much as it is. I just find you all more fun and interesting.

I only signed up to play Mafia Wars(yes, I am one of those). But, I have found it nice to be able to share pictures with friends and family around the country. I think it is funny when people that did not like you in High school send you a friend request.

RalphXL

I just had a friend tell me she was appalled by my photo in facebook. In case this link doesn't work it's me with a big shit eating grin on my face holding my saiga12 http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h50/tih2ho/saiga038.jpg She said that in the future I might loose a job over it or something like that. Maybe she just took offence to that 12 rounder.

Edited by TO THE FLOOR

Maybe she was just picky and wished you had a matching wood forearm to go with the stock and PG.... J/K!! :haha:

No really...you should snap up that sweet one for sale right now from Jpanzer.

http://forum.saiga-1...showtopic=48722

Man I'll never understand people like that. Some people are so.......I don't even know what to call it.....:rolleyes:

afraid I guess.

Maybe she was just picky and wished you had a matching wood forearm to go with the stock and PG.... J/K!! :haha:

No really...you should snap up that sweet one for sale right now from Jpanzer.

http://forum.saiga-1...showtopic=48722

Man I'll never understand people like that. Some people are so.......I don't even know what to call it.....:rolleyes:

afraid I guess.

Thanks for the link cobra. If it was blond I would grab it in a heartbeat. Since that picture was taken I have gone to a real blond stock and matching pistol grip...don't mind the Chaos tri rail though until I find a blond s12 forearm to match my other wood.

The dreaded things that plague my generation. Facebook is my alternative to the cell phone. Besides I hate cellphones and would rather not contribute to filling our orbit with more trash.

Cell phones are swiss army knife of the electronic world, they are filled with useless things you "must have".

• Like 1

I too am guilty as charged. It is the favorite site of my family and friends. The Internet is everywhere and free in many places. I recently had two family members in critical care units in different hospitals. The family was allowed to use computers and the wireless service provided by the hospitals to communicate with other family members and friends but cell phones were not allowed into the ward. Not sure just why that is so but it enabled communication where a cell phone was not allowed. And pictures can be sent free which my cell phone provider gouges the hell out of me for. Facebook allows me to find old friends like the girl pictured below. We were good friends in High School but lost touch. I now have a standing invitation to visit Orlando and spend the day playing golf and talking with Iron Mike. The blond next to Ditka is my High School friend, Tracy Randall, and is his media relations manager. It's great to catch up with friends...if one has any!

post-14788-12625945244872_thumb.jpg

Edited by t165