Promag 12rd compact drum

We have a small shipment of the 12rd compact drums in. $89.95

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-492/PROMAG-SAIGA-12-12RD/Detail

post-9063-12701549226037_thumb.jpg

I just recieved a Pro Mag 20 rnd. and it was actually a little bit sloppier than I prefer... I doesn't seem to affect the reliability one bit yet but I had my file in hand when I opened the box... I would have actually PREFERED to custom fit my magazines to my gun but it is what it is. Pro Mags paperwork that comes w/ the drum actually tells you to expect some fitting to be neccessary.

I can rock and lock on a closed bolt just fine on my gun, no need for a mag well that cant accept drums or sacks as you call them. :lolol: Mag wells will lose their cool once cobras LRBHO is available IMO. Accept for competition shooting maybe.

I am limited to the factory 5 round magazine for my Saiga-12s where I live. I can load a full mag on a closed bolt smoothly, effortlessly, upside-down, sideways...It's all a matter of muscle memory and practice. Once you have it mastered, when loading on an open bolt, the magazine seems to just fall in to place.

so do these promag drums slip right in or do they have to be four-played alittle bit before functioning. i heard the stick mags from promag have sum fitting problems do these have to be fitted...

I just recieved a Pro Mag 20 rnd. and it was actually a little bit sloppier than I prefer... I doesn't seem to affect the reliability one bit yet but I had my file in hand when I opened the box... I would have actually PREFERED to custom fit my magazines to my gun but it is what it is. Pro Mags paperwork that comes w/ the drum actually tells you to expect some fitting to be neccessary.

Just one quick question here. As said above, I'm limited to factory 5 rounders for my S-12s and I have a boat load. Even though they look like they were cast in a thousand year old mold, every one of them has rocked-and-locked and firmly clicked into place in EVERY one of my Saiga's right out of the package, no fitting necessary. I have also never had a FTF issue related to a mag. Why do most of the US mags available need to be fitted to each gun? Is it the gun, or the after-market mags? Note, I am not knocking anyone's product or trying to start an argument, I'm actually fascinated by all of these great ideas that I can't even legally own.

Received my Promag 12rd drum from CSS today. Man, that was fast.

Pretty minor filing to get the rear deep enough for engagement. There is a bit of play (up/down) in the front. It is like the lip isn't low enough. Not a biggy, but there is some movement there. I posted these photos because I didn't see any front lip photos on the other Promag threads. If you're like me I was wondering if the front lips were angled. Why do I care, because when you have a stock latch/catch drilled into the front of your reciever the full lipped mags won't go in w/o modification. This is an easy mod on mags that are not angled (SGM & MDA) but I was happy this little drum is like this...

P1070443.jpg

P1070448.jpg

P1070447.jpg

Slug-O,

Thanks man. Your's ain't half bad either ;) . It's a 12.5" Red Jacket build with a DPH "Bulgy" side folder on it. Yes, the FGB is in the factory location. Yes, it does cycle low brass on #3 and a reduced power recoil spring. Yes, it does sting when shooting 3" loads.

I want to know everything about your gun and more photos... Did you built it or have it made... I love it and want it!!!

Slug-O

^ Not a good way to begin negociating for something you really want. :lol:

That is a helluva gun you've got there, sunnybean. :up:

Mag wells will lose their cool once cobras LRBHO is available IMO

That fails to consider that I (and most people who care about speed) prefer to do tactical reloads and not run the gun dry and do an emergency reload. A LRBHO while it would still be a welcome addition would do nothing for tactical reloads.

I do like the size of the little drum though.

Edited by Zambidis
  • Like 1

Another related instance where a LRBHO does little good but a mag well shines is transitioning to slugs. Basically it is not uncommon to be changing mags before running the gun dry and a mag well is useful in such situations where as a LRBHO isn't. Even if as a matter of course I try to avoid running dry and being forced to preform an emergency reload it would still be nice to have a LRBHO and a bolt release. If MD released those to go with the double stacks it would be a happy day for saiga owners.

The more I look at the pics of the 12 round drum the more I want to try one. I like my MD 20 but it really is too big and more importantly to heavy for most of my uses. I still think I would favor a mag well and stick mag to a mini drum but I'd like to try one.