AR Beats AK Almost 2:1 in GunReports Survey

I'm surprised the AK got as many votes as it did. When I go the range, I usually see about 6-8 guys with ARs, about 4 or 5 with hunting rifles, and me with my AK. Occasionally I see another AK there.

Dennis wrote, “Our military has chosen this rifle as the shoulder weapon of choice to defend our nation. The Taliban has chosen the AK. Need more be said?”

Patriotism won't help me in a gunfight. It will not make my weapon feed cartridges or extract spent cases more reliably.

Plus, does anyone believe the military chooses weapons on the basis of effectiveness?

Edited by Jim Digriz

i wonder which one of the very few users linked it to an AR forum to help get votes up.

also where did they learn math? that is nowhere near a 2:1 ration. it was a 30% difference in favor of AR's. Most people are still under bad rumor misimpressions of what an ak can do. did you read the quote about spray&pray? lol what a misguided fool leading others to water.

i wonder which one of the very few users linked it to an AR forum to help get votes up.

This is very possible. You'll often see a call for a "firemission" in Arfcom's GD telling people to hit a poll. It's pretty damn effective when you have 200K+ members (only 100K+ are "active" though I think) members.

Either way, I don't put much faith in any poll when it comes to a preference thing. Because it is just that; preference.

How many AK's are in existence and how many AR's? This is the old argument of perfect vs. good enough. In WW2, Germany had 'perfect' equipment, Russia had 10 times as much 'good enough' equipment. How'd that work out?

I am fine with this type of propaganda because from an economic stand point more people joining the 7.62x39 club means this ammo type becomes more expensive.

The price of the ammo is supported by demand. If more people join the 5.56/.223 or 5.45 club rather than the 7.62x39 club, 7.62x39 does not experience as much

buyer demand as it would if there are several thousand new shooters looking to buy bulk 7.62x39 and the market forces the price upward from the new money chasing

the product. Maybe it is selfish on my part but why would I care to argue towards a higher ammo price when so many people are willing to do just that by suggesting

the superiority of the AR15 platform and the 5.56 while driving up the cost on their superior ammo suggestion. No thanks.

I am fine with this type of propaganda because from an economic stand point more people joining the 7.62x39 club means this ammo type becomes more expensive.

The price of the ammo is supported by demand. If more people join the 5.56/.223 or 5.45 club rather than the 7.62x39 club, 7.62x39 does not experience as much

buyer demand as it would if there are several thousand new shooters looking to buy bulk 7.62x39 and the market forces the price upward from the new money chasing

the product. Maybe it is selfish on my part but why would I care to argue towards a higher ammo price when so many people are willing to do just that by suggesting

the superiority of the AR15 platform and the 5.56 while driving up the cost on their superior ammo suggestion. No thanks.

I agree. Don't educate people when its not in your best interests.

I have a very hard time hitting anything past 50 yards with my AK. I think one of the requirements should have been that you actually have used both weapons.

Are you serious?!? I hit milk jugs full of water out to 200 yards with iron sites with my X39 & 5.45 Saiga's all the time!

Edited by RoughRider666

I have a very hard time hitting anything past 50 yards with my AK. I think one of the requirements should have been that you actually have used both weapons.

Are you serious?!? I hit milk jugs full of water out to 200 yards with iron sites with my X39 & 5.45 Saiga's all the time!

I second this. I only start to have a hard time at 300 yards just because I cant see that damn far.

No I was being sarcastic, the comment some guy made about them not being much good past fifty yards

led me to making my second comment. The "can't hit the BSOAB with an AK" comments usually just means they

haven't spent any time with one.

wonder how many votes were based off of video game experience instead of real life...

Don't you know the AK does 108 damage with a headshot and an m4 only 89!!

but my in game character sucks at managing recoil and aiming, so it MUST be shitty in real life.

Warriors go with good reliable, efficient, effective and reliable weapons (emphasis on reliable). Those who don't know the difference, go with whatever is popular.

Having vast experience with both, I will always chose the one closest at hand.

Macbeau sends...

A press release for a poll? Well, I guess this settles that argument then.

My Saiga x 39 sucks, can't hit air, and if I'm lucky enough to hit a bad guy with it, he'll tell me to get a real man's caliber (5.56 mm). Time to get one of those HSLD "tacticool" AR's. [/sarcasm]

Give me a platform that goes bang every time, and I'll never second guess it under fire. More important than which is "prettier" IMHO.