2-3/4" "Slugger" into Class III Kevlar

I used my S-12 to shoot a slug into some Class III Kevlar, no plates, just for shits and giggles, but there are some people I know (friends and family) who think it is survivable.

I think it would kill you dead as hell but was wondering what the forum thought.

Just FYI, the vest caught the slug, but there was a 2 inch wide by 3 inch deep hole in the log.

If you look carefully, you can see the striations in the slug from the Kevlar.

post-16335-0-99608900-1289079072_thumb.jpg

post-16335-0-79044600-1289079086_thumb.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS5qA131ytc

• Like 3

without a hard plate, it will kill you from the impact alone with a dead center sternum shot. your heart would be jelly.

you would probably go down with the plate in the vest, as well, maybe not dead, but damn sure down.shotgun vests all have a plate in them for the reason you see evidenced in the log you had it hung on.

all of this is exactly why i load 3" 1 1/4oz buckshot for in close personal protection. the extra weight of the payload is enough to knock the home invader the hell down, if they were smart enough to use a plate in their vest (which i would expect most would think to do if they went so far as to GET a vest in the first place)

• Like 1

i may get flamed but i think its survivable. mainly b/c the human body is limber and flexable. the log has that huge hole b/c it doesnt flex or absorb the impact like the body would. it would be like being hit square in the chest with a sledgehammer swung by the hulk. it would probably break some ribs, crack your sternum and defiantly knock the breath out of you but i think a person COULD survive it. I also think a person COULD die from it but i would say more likely to very painfully live through it.

Then again without the plate it could just punch a massive hole in your chest and pop right back out from the kevlar stopping it from passing through you?

• Like 2

Just getting hit in a vest with a standard pistol round is nearly the same as taking a major league fast ball to the chest. The shotgun slug in a vest without a HARD trauma plate is bad news any way that you look at it. Is it survivable, well that depends on what you consider surviving. Yes, you may indeed survive the initial hit, but you will be totally incapacitated which equals dead. If you cannot defend yourself after being shot, then you are of no use to yourself or others around you.

Shotgun hit in a vest with a hard trauma plate installed. Well, you will most likely survive the hit, but again you will be going down. Could you defend yourself after the hit? Well, again that depends on how fast you can recover after having the next two years and the previous ten years worth of air rapidly, involuntarily and forcefully expelled out of your chest cavity :cryss: I wear a vest with a hard trauma plate daily, but I think that I will still do everything that I can to not test this theory :super:

If you are unfamiliar with the testing standards for vests, well then you would be shocked at how easy it is to get one certified. The main requirements are that the bullet/projectile does not penetrate all layers of the vest. The vest must also stop the projectile from penetrating the body cavity by no more than 25 millimeters. The human body is nothing more than a squeeky toy and if you poke something that far into a body cavity, your going to squeek.

Edited by GeorgiaPD
  • Like 3

I used my S-12 to shoot a slug into some Class III Kevlar, no plates, just for shits and giggles, but there are some people I know (friends and family) who think it is survivable.

An LEO I know was shot while wearing soft armor with a .357 service revolver at close range and was bruised really bad. With no plate, its going to really hurt.

With a plate, the plate bears the impact and transfers any momentum to your body. The shove of momentum is no more than the recoil force of the gun.

A .308 win versus a plate doesn't seem to have much effect against the wearer. I guess I would be curious myself to see how a slug would affect the wearer.

Mythbusters did a knock down power experiment with a test dummy with a plate versus a deer slug and a military .50 caliber.

The slug impact tipped the test dummy over but about the same as a baseball impact they try just before. I suppose it could stun the person a bit

but not necessarily knock them over with overwhelming force. They calculated the slug impact moved the dummy 1 inch backwards and the .50 about 2.5 inches.

I guess most people would have expected the .50 to send the test dummy flying far back.

Edited by my762buzz

A 50 BMG sure woulda sent it flyin though...lol. :lolol: d.

Stansplace we did that same test right there where your was filmed....back before that I think.

Same results exaxctly. Wouldn't wanna be be the guy wearin that if hit by a slug that size.

:sick:

post-1293-2691_thumb.jpg

You'd end up with some broken bones at the very least.

Overall, I think its fatal jsut about every time. If you get shot over the heart and you shock it enough, it can mess up it's rythm and give you a heart attack. Or, that's enough to bruise you heart, maybe tear some of the support structures around it, collapse a lung if it's in the right place, blow up your spleen, splat your liver.

I was always under the impression that a vest was there to aid and somewhat protect, not make the wearer invincible. The chance to fight another day.

A 50 BMG sure woulda sent it flyin though...lol. :lolol: d.

Stansplace we did that same test right there where your was filmed....back before that I think.

Same results exaxctly. Wouldn't wanna be be the guy wearin that if hit by a slug that size.

:sick:

I remember us talking about it, I believe the consensus was jello chest for those of us that were there. If that log is still there, snap a pic of the dent that was left.

Human beings have had armor throughout the ages. It's never been there to prevent damage, just reduce it. Chainmail armor is great for preventing a sword from slicing you, but it's pretty worthless against a stabbing attack or blunt force. The sword might not cut you open, but it's sure not fun getting hit by it. Body armor helps you reduce the severity of the injury. Anyone who thinks it will make them invulnerable has watched too much TV.

Those guys in the first video are absolutely fucking nuts.

• Like 1

Taking into account Newton's 3rd law...would this knock someone off their feet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BYnG4vrb-U&feature=related

or this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-4xhp9BReY&feature=related

That guy was off balance and the shove is way above his center of gravity.

.700 nitro is fairly close to .50 BMG in momentum. The 50 BMG demo shot on the mythbusters show barely pushed the test dummy back a few inches.

To knock someone over mass is the better mechanism. What is more likely to knock you over hitting your body armor plate with a fast speeding bullet or throwing a bowling ball at your chest?

You'd live. Unless one of two things happen, your body doesn't handle the shock well and goes in to arrest or your sternum punctures your heart (hence the little plate they give you to put right over your sternum). Otherwise you'd have severe internal bruising with possible internal bleeding and would need to be seeing a doctor ASAP.

You'd be surprised what the human body can endure.....

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

The body armor isn't supposed to make invincible. It's supposed to provide some protection in case you get caught out of cover or off guard. Always use cover regardless if you are armored or not and never let your guard down! When we qualified troops with the M-4, we used to throw out an old ballistic helmet, vest, and plate to demonstrate what M-855 will do to it. Not pretty from a 5.56mm let alone something bigger at the same range.

The body armor isn't supposed to make invincible. It's supposed to provide some protection in case you get caught out of cover or off guard. Always use cover regardless if you are armored or not and never let your guard down! When we qualified troops with the M-4, we used to throw out an old ballistic helmet, vest, and plate to demonstrate what M-855 will do to it. Not pretty from a 5.56mm let alone something bigger at the same range.

I doubt anybody thinks it makes them invincible, at least anyone over the age of 12.

The human body can and does survive a lot. If you will notice there are not a lot of stories about people that were shot while wearing a vest, where the round struck the vest, but failed to survive.

There are however a small number of stories that always seem to promote the idea that wearing a vest is useless. Those same type stories were told in prior conflicts to convince soldiers that there was no need to wear a helmet in battle.

Each to his own, but I wear a vest.

I doubt anybody thinks it makes them invincible, at least anyone over the age of 12.

You haven't gotten to know some of the members of this forum then! :angel:

You haven't gotten to know some of the members of this forum then! :angel:

lol yes you got me there

I used to wonder why they didnt make kelvar cloth headgear similar to the flash hoods wore by guncrews in large naval gun turrets.

I then thought about the fact that while the bullet may not penetrate, your skull would be crushed in, and that would probably be lethal by itself.

IMO the human body is amazing in the fact that it can absorb so much damage and live, while at the same time being so frail as to what can kill us.

shot to the thigh will kill you pretty quick too.

I'm pretty sure a slug to the chest while wearing a vest will a minimum break ribs, most likely severe internal bleeding or ruptured organs. If the first shot doesn't kill you a second well aimed shot will...