Help me decide on my last part for my shotgun!!!

57 members have voted

1. 1. Which Brake to get for my ultimate build?

• Tromix Monster Brake
    • JTE Competition Brake #1

Alright guys, quick info on what's going on...

I have my shotgun over at a reputable smith that's on here, and I'm getting my ultimate (and only) shotgun made. I first off started cheap, but realized this is my only shotgun and I want it to be just how I want it, so I kept added things to it, so now it's a pretty damn expensive shotgun. I've decided on a Chaos Extended rail, ACE folding stock, OAL 18.2" barrel TAC47 Auto Plug, Burris FastFire II (No BUIS, this will be for close range, if the Burris is down, i'll just point to what i'm shooting lol) and now the last part I'm having a tough time deciding on what I want.

For the muzzle brake, I want something that is:

1. Has an intimidating (badass? lol) look to it. Usually massive brakes do.

2. Has a good recoil reduction

I was set on the JTE Competition brake, but from the people I've talked to here, the ones that had the JTE say if they could do it again with the OAL being 18.2 inches, they would have gone with the Monster Brake.

So if you were building one of your favorite shotguns, and wanted it to have good recoil reduction and a big muzzle brake in the front, knew that the OAL would be 18.2 with whatever brake you got, and money was no issue, which brake would you get?

I have a similar thread about the JTE on here, but I wanetd to start a poll explaining why I can't decide, and these are my 2 final choices. :)

Help me decide! I'm torn between the two!!!

Edited by taseal

You mean you're having your shotgun worked on by a reputable gunsmith? ;)

The Monster brake is terrible. Go with the JTE. :angel:

hah! this thing looks so much like a rifle that I keep calling it rifle! I actually had to back and edit it out to shotgun on another instance on that post, guess I missed that one :lolol:

eta: ah you bastid! you voted on a JTE! I know you don't prefer a JTE! you spoiled my poll!!! you can't be the only one with a monster brake :lolol:

Edited by taseal

hah! this thing looks so much like a rifle that I keep calling it rifle! I actually had to back and edit it out to shotgun on another instance on that post, guess I missed that one :lolol:

eta: ah you bastid! you voted on a JTE! I know you don't prefer a JTE! you spoiled my poll!!! you can't be the only one with a monster brake :lolol:

I didn't "spoil your poll". I voted for the brake that I think you should use. ;)

I didn't "spoil your poll". I voted for the brake that I think you should use. ;)

pffffft :haha:

I don't know.... I just can't get into the brakes. I'd run the barrel nut or a unvented Polychoke.

If there was a muzzle-mount brake out there that gave a significant reduction in recoil, I might be inclined to want to hang another pound of metal on the end of my weapon. Until then.... I'll pass.

I don't know.... I just can't get into the brakes. I'd run the barrel nut or a unvented Polychoke.

If there was a muzzle-mount brake out there that gave a significant reduction in recoil, I might be inclined to want to hang another pound of metal on the end of my weapon. Until then.... I'll pass.

Wouldnt the BEST option be a mid barrel comp with a polychoke?

evl, I agree with ya when we're talkin about the smaller, more common "breacher" brakes. However, Monster brakes do work, and reduce recoil in a very appreciable way, (by ~25% with high brass and it virtually negates bird shot recoil). In order to do that at the muzzle on a 12-ga, it does have to be massive; which is why I use one on a cut-down barrel.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

evl, I agree with ya when we're talkin about the smaller, more common "breacher" brakes. However, Monster brakes do work, and reduce recoil in a very appreciable way, (by ~25% with high brass and it virtually negates bird shot recoil). In order to do that at the muzzle on a 12-ga, it does have to be massive; which is why I use one on a cut-down barrel.

Brosef, since you have the Tromix.....howzabouts a video of some rounds down range? I was loving the look of it with the chopped barrel in your thread. So I'd love to see it in action, and it might help the OP figure out what he wants.

Owen-Starsky-Hutch-Signature-Do-It.jpg

Monster brake is supposed to give substantial recoil reduction line you describe. Same with the jte one. Really the two best out there

• 7 months later...

I think they both have some advantages. i have a monster brake with an overall length of 18.5" and the recoil reduction is very noticeable compared to my 24" gun. and i think that it looks bad ass. but you will lose a lot of back pressure which will affect cycling and the gun will need to be adjusted to run light loads. the JTE brake is shorter which will probably not reduce the recoil as much but you wont have to cut as much of the barrel off which will help in keeping more back pressure so theoretically it would cycle better with the JTE. either way you go the gun will probably need some work to run light stuff reliably though, but if a good shop is doing the work then that shouldn't be a problem. good luck and i hope this helps!

Edited by rogers

I voted for the shortest and the lightest, even though I do not care for the look of it. If it were based on looks, I would go with the Tromix. Since both are reported to be successful at reducing recoil, smaller and lighter makes sense to me.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Actually, you should have added these to the poll questions.

Original Soviet

MD Arms Soviet repro long style

MD Arms Soviet repro short style.

None of the above.

Because frankly, both of the above choices are horrendously huge, and not quite attractive, at least to me.

I myself am not convinced that they are that functional, I would like to see some testing done, hence, None of the above.

And, the shorter MD Soviet Style seems to be the least obnoxious design I have seen, and why put ten more pounds on the end of an already heavy gun?

MD arms shorty, alas, currently sold out, 35 bucks.

ma101.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by Mr Mivet
  • 1 year later...

If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with JTE. That's based on the thinking like EVL and post-apocalyptic. Lighter and shorter. Also looks too I guess, as in the better of the two, I don't really care for the way brakes look. Also, not based on any real world experience what so ever. Never fired a S12 with a break, much less either of the two that we're discussing. And with that, one could probably omit my opinion all together lol

Never fired a S12 with a break, much less either of the two that we're discussing.

Total necro thread...

I prefer a traffic cone duct taped to my barrel!!! LOL

How did this even get dredged up? Saw it floating in the list, but the last post was 2011.

I gotta agree with the 25% recoil reduction by the Monster Brake. Have two identical Saiga 12's with 19" bbls, except I put a Monster Brake on one, and nothing on the other. Took 'em both to range and alternated shooting them to get a feeling for the effect of the brake. Yeah, I'd say 20-25% reduction in felt recoil. Bought a second Monster Brake for the other gun.

Never fired a S12 with a break, much less either of the two that we're discussing.

Total necro thread...

I prefer a traffic cone duct taped to my barrel!!! LOL

How did this even get dredged up? Saw it floating in the list, but the last post was 2011.

Ya know, that's a really good question. Totally didn't even bother looking at dates until just now... It popped up on the first page of topics, and I did my thing. Lol I guess I'm gonna have to start paying more attention, my apologies.

Edited by Goose

No need to apologize!

It's an interesting read. Just made me laugh when I realized its age.

Sure would like to see side-by-side scientific testing of the Monster and GK-1 clone. I think BLKHWKVET is doing something like that soon.

• 1 month later...

I'm having a monster break put on my gun and hope to have it back by this weekend to try it out. I'm having the barrel cut though because they showed me one with the full length barrel compared to one that was cut, and the full length one just made the gun too long. That means I have to have the break pinned but that's OK because I don't see a need to switch things out.

I'll let you know what my impressions are as to how much difference it makes.