Honestly if he was upset about not having his CCW yes, then he should have been open carrying his pistol, not stepping it up to an AK. Open handgun carry slowly gets people used to others carrying around them, the AK on the other hand is a good way to suddenly get some anti-carry bill proposed. I'm all for open carry, I wish open carrying a rifle would be a little more common practice, but we have to work our way up to that slowly. Of course open carry is also highly dependent on the local population, in some areas it is more acceptable than others.

Uhh.. I think it would be easier to ask what states DON'T require a permit.

Ohio, but we have a somewhat limited CCW permit, though its easy to get and fairly cheap. Longarms (sporting types) can even be bought out of state, but handgunds and non-sporting longarms still have to be shipped to an in state FFL.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Look, i hate that i'm the only who who's said this yet, but guess what, you know you else open carried rifles and or pistols? just about everyone pre-1840 in any rural community, and just because you

normally i would agree this is in extremly bad taste and the guy is a idiot , but ibielieve there are some extenuating circumstances here , as far as the guy carrying a camera ,he,s not he has a iphon

Ya know, DogMan, now I get the feeling that you're trying to start shit. Boise PD shot and killed a 14-year-old kid who was carrying a rifle a couple years ago. Was the kid not listening to the offi

In what state do you need a permit to buy a handgun? I just want to know so i never spend any money in that state in travel/online expenses.

Ran a quick search and found this list.

http://federalfirear...ermit-by-state/

Uhh.. I think it would be easier to ask what states DON'T require a permit.

No, the majority do not require a permit to buy a gun.

Edited by TwiztidKlownzTX

Alaska is an open carry state and has concealed carry w/o a permit unless you're prohibited by a conviction, court order, mental defect, etc. Consequently, guns are very common especially in the rural areas. There is no way I would leave the city limits of Anchorage without one or both of my 12 ga. and a pistol. In the towns, the odds are pretty good that someone in your field of vision is carrying most anyplace you happen to be other than banks, courthouses, etc. About the only restrictions are that if you are armed and are approached by a LEO you WILL declare to the LEO that you are armed or God help you and don't be drinking and carrying in public. I have a new gun rack ordered that will go in the overhead of the truck and isn't readily visible from outside the truck, so if I were stopped by a cop, I would get out unless ordered no to and if I remained with the truck, I would declare that I had weapons as the officer approached. Cops here are a little trigger-happy for my comfort so you want to be real careful with them.

I would walk down the side of the road openly carrying any of my long guns and I don't think anybody would notice or care. The Mossy or the Saiga might attract a little notice since they are ugly, black, scary guns, but I doubt it. I don't think anyone would notice a weapon with wood furniture since they're so common. I've had the Saiga hanging from the back of the seats in my truck and had it attract a little attention but it was from people who wanted to see it. The only place I wouldn't openly carry a long gun would be a shopping center or right downtown since there is no good reason to have one in those places and people would wonder - and probably call the cops.

Of course this guy is within his rights. he's also an ass, but that is not a crime either.

But, IMO, this conduct is not smart.

Even if we continue to win at SCOTUS, stunts like this could end up costing us.

how so ?

private property owners have the right to ban firearms on their property. private property owners also must carry liability insurance. if every tom, dick and harry starts open carrying long guns, it will only be a matter of time before the gun grabbers start working on private property owners, using liability insurance as leverage. all it will take is a couple civil cases where a property owner is deemed to share liability for a shooting because firearms were not banned. then, your liability insurer will require you to ban guns by specifically excluding claims arising from guns if you don't ban them from your property.

I'm certain we will see this in NY, MD, Mass and CA if SCOTUS rules for us on the many 'right to bear arms' cases that are requesting cert. if legal carry is ever allowed in NY, you can bet the farmn that the entire borough of manhattan will put up 'no firearms' signs in a nanosecond.

just one insurance broker's opinion.

• Like 1

I have to agree with those that said it is a little stupid he opened carried an ak considering the uneducated Americans stance on them, Its and ak, so their fore its a terrorist gun, its all because of television, look at the guns that were crossing the border with Mexico, a majority of them looked like American made ar-15s. He probably brought the camera with him so, if the cop did decide too shoot him, their would be at-least a little proof that he didn't do anything, then again this is just a little too much.

i welcome open carry. hell i encourage it with my friends. the only way i carry my glock is open. infact, i had to get a handgun carry permit so i could carry it openly and daily. i refuse to do business with certain stores and franchises if they do not honor my hcp. with that aside,

i dont see any problems with what he was doing. to be honest, its not my business. i wont make it my business unless he/she does something that involves me. plus he was legal. i thought it was wise on his part to have it on video. never know when some stupid tree huggin assbag is gunna try to say he did something to threaten them.

Wow -7 that's awesome. What I'm trying to saying is yes he has every right to carry him open carry. You guys are telling me that if a guy, that you don't know is walking down the road with an Ak on his back you would not think it weird.

ETA: If he just would have given the cops his ID he would have been on his way in 5 minutes. A cop has to check him out if they are getting complaints.

No, just because some one complains on you does not mean you are breaking the law or are required to show ID. Thats the great thing about the law.

Edited by Chevyman097

Wow -7 that's awesome. What I'm trying to saying is yes he has every right to carry him open carry. You guys are telling me that if a guy, that you don't know is walking down the road with an Ak on his back you would not think it weird.

ETA: If he just would have given the cops his ID he would have been on his way in 5 minutes. A cop has to check him out if they are getting complaints.

No, just because some one complains on you does not mean you are breaking the law or are required to show ID. Thats the great thing about the law.

Exactly. And just because they get complaints doesn't mean they have to go "check it out". They know him on a first name basis, they admitted they know why he does this, they know he is not a criminal, a cursory observation from a distance would indicate he's carrying it in a non-threatening legal manner. The guy has already been "checked out". The whole purpose now is just to harass him until he stops doing what they "don't like". That's not the way the legal system works, my friends.

• Like 1

I have to agree with those that said it is a little stupid he opened carried an ak considering the uneducated Americans stance on them, Its and ak, so their fore its a terrorist gun, its all because of television, look at the guns that were crossing the border with Mexico, a majority of them looked like American made ar-15s. He probably brought the camera with him so, if the cop did decide too shoot him, their would be at-least a little proof that he didn't do anything, then again this is just a little too much.

I've had talks with people before about the bad rep of the AK. Do you know what gun is also cheap, reliable, and has developed a "negative" rep with some of the public due to local gangs and criminals getting their hands on them? Glock, but our fine police officers carry those as well. The only way to get rid of bad PR of a weapon system, is to show people that they're in the wrong- that it's the person, not the gun, that is at fault for any good or evil done with that weapon. You can't do that by saying "Well, people are scared of the AK, so we'll just work on all the other guns out there." He probably would have had the same reaction if he was carrying a scoped hunting rifle- OMG THERE'S A GUY WITH A SNIPER RIFLE WALKING DOWN THE ROAD!

I think he made it clear in the video that he was recording it for a video request. Yeah, the video doubles as insurance, but you also get to see how these people are belittling and lecturing the man about how he is not breaking the law, but making people upset.

It's acceptible in the confines of a gun show, where everybody carries and nobody even thinks twice about it, but it's shameful to show it in public. Gun owners afraid to come out of the closet?

But why is it that it's acceptable in a gun show and nobody thinks twice about it? Because it's not unusual. It shouldn't be unusual for anybody to be legally carrying a firearm openly anywhere else either, but it is. It's unusual to see because the public has an irrational fear of openly carried guns, and they have an irrational fear of openly carried guns because it's unusual to see. That's the big viscous cycle of irrational fear that we're in and the general public, the police, and people who think this guy is just a dumbass are all complicit in ensuring this cycle keeps going around and around.

Oh, and "Shameful"? What I just described is what's shameful, not a man legally exercising his rights.

Yeah, you nailed everything I was thinking. I find it interesting how even the most effeminate man imaginable can go out and parade his lifestyle around totally unashamed, but gun owners protected by an explicitly stated constitutional right are afraid to be seen excercising that right (which is not merely a right. The 2nd Amendment says it is necessary that we be ready to fight). I think that puts things in perspective rather well (hence the question I originally posed).

• Like 3

I have to wonder how many people who have seen this video were completely unaware that it was infact perfectly legal open care a fire arm. I can't tell you how man people I know who've seen my guns (semi auto ak's and sig556's) will immediately ask "IS THAT LEGAL?!!" And I live in Texas! We've become so accustom to our liberal media associating firearms with social taboo, those of us who aren't ignorant of our rights have now become ashamed to exersize them. Just another example of the pussification of America. This guy took a risk.( a risk that he would be persecuted unjustly for exersizing his constitutional and state provided rights!!! How fucked up is it that that is even a possible outcome?) He slung that rifle and whent for a walk knowing damn well that it could have worked out aginst his favor,fortunately he was smart enough to leave the camra running, but he still did it because he KNEW it was his right and wasn't afraid to stand up for the laws that we're afforded.

It's bullshit that these cops harrassed him. The second one obviously knew him (thats why I'm calling BS on them). They're stopping him was nothing more than an intimdation tactic to supress his right. If you notice the little word play cat and mouse game between Adam and the first officer " are you trying to make a point?" ( protest without permit) and Adams response ( are you stopping me because I'm open carriying?" (offical oppression).

Yea he's an idiot for doing what most of us don't have the balls to do: stand up for your rights. Way to remind everybody that the law works in our favor too you moron!

Just because it's legal doesn't mean you should it. Put yourself in a situation, you are seeing a guy walking down the street with AK. Granted you are used to handling guns but if seeing him doesn't make you a little nervous/curious etc. I'd have hard time believing that. Now, lets imagine somebody who doesn't handle firearms and just watches the news sees him, they'd be freaking out.

Yes, he has the right to open carry but he's doing far more damage than good to the public opinion.

In what state do you need a permit to buy a handgun? I just want to know so i never spend any money in that state in travel/online expenses.

NC, I said such in the post as well as my location is listed as NC below my avatarrolleyes.gif

I really wish I could afford a gun lawyer to take the state to court over it b/c I know I could win, I could have a supreme court decision In my favor if I could AFFORD IT, Sad how our legal system is now.

The funny thing is NC is an open carry state, so Ive taken to open carrying my XDM every where I go, walmart, grocery store, where ever! Its pretty cool, I expected some comments but none yet. Just a few strange looks, b/c most people can tell Im certainly not a cop. I would have preffered to CCW but I think I prefer OC now!!

Just because it's legal doesn't mean you should it. Put yourself in a situation, you are seeing a guy walking down the street with AK. Granted you are used to handling guns but if seeing him doesn't make you a little nervous/curious etc. I'd have hard time believing that. Now, lets imagine somebody who doesn't handle firearms and just watches the news sees him, they'd be freaking out.

Yes, he has the right to open carry but he's doing far more damage than good to the public opinion.

I completely disagree, sure people who arent gun owners that see something like that may freak out AT FIRST. Only b/c that is something they dont see everyday. IF they seen it more often they would not be as uncomfortable about it. He is not doing more harm than good, b/c people see him and NOTHING happens. They see him a few times and he never murders anyone, then they realize he's not a threat. If more people carried guns openly whether rifles or pistols people would be less freaked out. People have no idea how many people around them are carrying guns and are NOT A THREAT to them. If they could see every gun every person carries they would be forced to realize legal gun owners are not a threat to the public!! I would say that CCW is actually a BAD THING for our society b/c its already got gun owners bitching about open carrying being "BAD TASTE"010.gif

• Like 2

I completely disagree, sure people who arent gun owners that see something like that may freak out AT FIRST. Only b/c that is something they dont see everyday. IF they seen it more often they would not be as uncomfortable about it. He is not doing more harm than good, b/c people see him and NOTHING happens. They see him a few times and he never murders anyone, then they realize he's not a threat. If more people carried guns openly whether rifles or pistols people would be less freaked out. People have no idea how many people around them are carrying guns and are NOT A THREAT to them. If they could see every gun every person carries they would be forced to realize legal gun owners are not a threat to the public!! I would say that CCW is actually a BAD THING for our society b/c its already got gun owners bitching about open carrying being "BAD TASTE"010.gif

Very well said. And your signature line is apropos.

I think he'd have less headaches if he open carried a pistol, but 'copping' an attitude is not healthy around law enforcement professionals.

Frankly, with so many people carrying cellphones on their belt these days, I'm not sure people would notice a small handgun in a nice leather holster!

Oh, God man. I'ts getting really nauseating listening to people who I "assume" support gun rights cowering at the thought of others being perceived as having an "attitude" when standing up against harassment when exercising those rights. Or being in fear of upsetting a general public filled with uneducated morons because maybe they won't support our "cause". Hey, you know what? We don't have to fucking ask anybody! And just what is our "cause" anyway? That maybe if we're really good little boys and girls and keep our guns hidden away they just might let us keep them? Fuck them! Our rights are written into law and the God Damn Mother Fucking Constitution! There are a few of you who need to get up off of your knees and quit worrying about being "accepted". If somebody wants to walk down the street legally carrying a gun they don't have choice but to accept it. Fuck every last one of them.

• Like 3

Given the local PD (and I live in fucking Idaho, where you'd think that open carry is a non-issue), I'd worry about getting my ass shot if I open-carried a rifle. I *would* get my ass shot if it wasn't slung, and they'd probably call it brandishing (and shoot me) if it was on a 3-point sling, too. A dead man can't tell his side of the story, Dogman.

There's open carry, and then there's picking a fight. This guy is close to picking a fight. Maybe legit, if they won't issue a CCW because the sheriff can say no, but it's still a sign of poor judgment. Answering questions in an aggressive tone is not conducive to demonstrating that you do not have a chip on your shoulder and the sheriff is being a douche. Fact: an officer can arrest you just because he doesn't like your attitude. It's called "insulting an officer". A little bit of civility and politeness goes a very long way, a fact that you seem to have forgotten.

• Like 1

Given the local PD (and I live in fucking Idaho, where you'd think that open carry is a non-issue), I'd worry about getting my ass shot if I open-carried a rifle. I *would* get my ass shot if it wasn't slung, and they'd probably call it brandishing (and shoot me) if it was on a 3-point sling, too. A dead man can't tell his side of the story, Dogman.

There's open carry, and then there's picking a fight. This guy is close to picking a fight. Maybe legit, if they won't issue a CCW because the sheriff can say no, but it's still a sign of poor judgment. Answering questions in an aggressive tone is not conducive to demonstrating that you do not have a chip on your shoulder and the sheriff is being a douche. Fact: an officer can arrest you just because he doesn't like your attitude. It's called "insulting an officer". A little bit of civility and politeness goes a very long way, a fact that you seem to have forgotten.

Wrong, Kenny. An officer cannot arrest you legally because he doesn't like your attitude. You are protected by freedom of speech to say and think whatever you wish. You may not use vulgar, profanity to do so. However that protection doesn't prevent the officer from looking for a technicality to arrest you on. Its just pathetic so many are afraid to stand up for our rights in a verbal altercation against authority. That group of you might as well sell your guns at the next buy back you obviously lack the spine to use them for anything outside the range and show room. That said yes a little tact goes a long way.

• Like 1

i'm going to address the quoted first and then take in from the top.

Yes it is true that, however unconstitutional and morally wrong, police officers are allowed "detain" and even arrest you for basically little to no reason. like say "insulting an officer" which could essentially could be anything from a stern voice or even a 'He looked at me funny! which i don't even need to bother telling you this is Big government as its finest. Police are NOT even by their own internal legal definition here to protect you in any way, they are here to enforce the overwhelming about of laws that big government is constantly creating, that's why honestly if i could with out getting killed "sadly i can't" i would carry my rifle and three mags at all times even when at my house which i already do[leaning against a wall not on a sling] its all about personal responsibly to protect and serve, its not just for under educated hirelings of the government. Protect and serve means everyone including you, yes YOU.

And yeah i would be nervous if i saw a guy with a rifle walking down the street, know why? Because I would be thinking, 1. if he is a criminal, I’m WAY out gunned, and 2. i know that NONE of my fellow citizens are capable, willing or able to join me in defending my township or other rural area i might be in because the media told them guns are scary and self defense is only for the police.

But I also get nervous when I’m walking on a lonely trail and a group of any "unarmed" men approach me, is it going to make me feel better if they beat me to death with a club or hack me apart with a machete or long knife? No it really won’t. And if I’m unarmed at the time, I am at their total mercy" sorry karate guys but unless your Bruce Lee 2-3+ guys means death". But in this same situation if we ALL had our rifles, I wouldn’t be worried because even If they were “outlaw types” i know they won’t try anything because they know it would be VERY dangerous for them and criminals always go for the weak targets because they are smart and don't want to die for their money/sadistic pleasures but also evil and normally cowards.

Now a lot of that is what i call, idealistic thinking however true it may be. Because in the end neither individual paramilitary officer nor individual citizen has power to decide what the law is as they see fit, THANK GOD! but we must both honor the law. But even further everyone should like I've said protect and serve and that last part means be humble and gentle to your fellow man. That’s what this guy did wrong. if your approached by anyone especially the police, no matter how many times they are the approach you, you should be kind and seek peace in all things even if they are flat out insulting and intimidating you which depending on the officer they might.[side note: i can't imagine anyone other than the police approaching you and insulting you with a rifle on your back but if they do the same applies]

The truth is you should never have hatred or even resentment for individual officers. it's not their fault the law is the way it is. and they would rather be doing something else "there are exceptions". I have always been kind to officers, and polite and gentle. And if I refuse to answer a question I always do so not through confrontation but with an apology and a vague statement like, "To my knowledge I’m not sure, I’m very sorry".

Be gentle as doves but wise as serpents.

Edited by Joebanks

Oh, God man. I'ts getting really nauseating listening to people who I "assume" support gun rights cowering at the thought of others being perceived as having an "attitude" when standing up against harassment when exercising those rights. Or being in fear of upsetting a general public filled with uneducated morons because maybe they won't support our "cause". Hey, you know what? We don't have to fucking ask anybody! And just what is our "cause" anyway? That maybe if we're really good little boys and girls and keep our guns hidden away they just might let us keep them? Fuck them! Our rights are written into law and the God Damn Mother Fucking Constitution! There are a few of you who need to get up off of your knees and quit worrying about being "accepted". If somebody wants to walk down the street legally carrying a gun they don't have choice but to accept it. Fuck every last one of them.

Amen

• Like 1

So, what you are saying is that you are afraid you would be murdered by the police. I seriously doubt it. I think you just "Worry" a lot. The guy wasn't "picking a fight", the police were. THEY approached HIM. "Fact: an officer can arrest you just because he doesn't like your attitude. It's called "insulting an officer". I don't know where you get your "facts" but this is simply not true. If you don't know the law, then you shouldn't try to quote it. I think you are confusing civility and politeness with "kowtowing". It was entirely appropriate for him to send a message that he would not be intimidated.

The funny thing is NC is an open carry state, so Ive taken to open carrying my XDM every where I go, walmart, grocery store, where ever! Its pretty cool, I expected some comments but none yet. Just a few strange looks, b/c most people can tell Im certainly not a cop. I would have preffered to CCW but I think I prefer OC now!!

I need to pick up a decent holster for one of my handguns (no really, I don't have any holsters, conceal or not), then I plan on open carrying as much as I can. I'm still going to get my CCW, because I already did the required classes and they're pretty cheap here at $67 for 5 years...and because the combination of the two allows you to carry in more locations, some locations like colleges you can open carry but not conceal, while other locations, like a vehicle, you have to have a CCW to carry period, conceal or open :huh: . Yes, open carry is legal, but without a CCW all weapons in a vehicle must be stowed properly with unloaded mags. I'm not about to have to unload or reload my mags everytime I get in or out of a vehicle, so CCW it is.

I won't try to judge if the guy is an idiot or not. I will say he has a set of brass balls. I am not sure I think walking around a urban area with an AK hung over your shoulder though legal is a good idea.

Last summer I wore a dual shoulder holster with a XD .45 on one side and a Judge on the other around my small rural home town just to see if anyone would say anything. I have been away for 32 years except to visit my family and farm and rarley went to town. So most people don't know me by sight anymore and a lot don't know me at all. I went into several stores and the local garage and bank. Only one person said anything, the owner of the garage asked me if I was pissed at someone and looking for them :lolol:. No one called the Police. I wasn't worried if they did because I do have a CCL and know the Sheriff and Police Chief. I always wear my Judge in a Simply Rugged pancake holster every where I go even in Hampton sometime its covered by a leather vest and if hot I just leave my T-shirt un tucked and over it. I have walked past off duty Officers hired as guards at WalMart and the liquor store and not a word was said. I always have a KelTek P3AT in my front pocket also. As you can tell I am not afriad to open carry but I do feel most of the time it is prudent to be more discreet. At least until open carry becomes more prevaliant. Also in some places you are just asking for trouble by displaying a weapon, not necessarily from LEOs but some Smart Ass. B)

I need to pick up a decent holster for one of my handguns (no really, I don't have any holsters, conceal or not), then I plan on open carrying as much as I can. I'm still going to get my CCW, because I already did the required classes and they're pretty cheap here at $67 for 5 years...and because the combination of the two allows you to carry in more locations, some locations like colleges you can open carry but not conceal, while other locations, like a vehicle, you have to have a CCW to carry period, conceal or open :huh: . Yes, open carry is legal, but without a CCW all weapons in a vehicle must be stowed properly with unloaded mags. I'm not about to have to unload or reload my mags everytime I get in or out of a vehicle, so CCW it is.

I highly recommend Simply Rugged in Alaska. The make hand fitted leather holsters, very high quality at a fair price. The pancake style hides even large handguns pretty well and is very comfortable. Just type Simply rugged in the address bar and check them out. No I am not affiliated with them in any way.

Edited by Palidin